The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Results of damage testing set combos - Spriggan, Leviathan, Automaton, TBS, VO, Dragr Hulk, Hunding

Donmanzullo
Donmanzullo
✭✭✭
I wanted to test which set combination gives the best damage so I compared the damage done by 4 different skills/abilities while wearing 15 different set combinations.
SETS TESTED:
kZJ2iss.png

METHODOLOGY
I used Slimecraw in Veteran Wayrest Sewers I as my test dummy. I did all this on my CP 600 Redguard Sorc.

For these tests, I had to standardize my gear, skills, buffs, passives, and everything else about my character in order to make sure the only variables between each test were the set bonuses. That way the sets can be directly compared. Many things had to be considered to keep damage consistent:
  • I suppressed my weapon enchants with a hindering poison on both bars, which effectively removed the RNG of the enchantment without modifying damage output.
  • Poison Injection was only used when Slimecraw was above 50% health, and was cast standing as close as possible to avoid Long Shots passive damage bonus which increases damage based on how far away you are.
  • Light and heavy attacks were not used within 5 seconds of Poison Injection or its DOT to avoid the Hawk Eye passive damage bonus.
  • Dual wield attacks were never used when Slimecraw was below 25% health to avoid the Slaughter passive damage bonus.
  • Slimecraw was never stunned, disoriented, immobilized, or silenced to avoid the Ruffian passive damage bonus.
  • I kept Crit Surge, Bound Armaments, and food buff (max health max stamina) up 100% of the time.
  • All skills and relevant passives were max level.
  • I only bar swapped when there were no DOTs running.
  • I used each ability at least 4 times with each set combination to make sure I got the same damage numbers and wasn’t overlooking some detail.
  • All armor was gold medium divines with gold stamina enchants.
  • All front bar weapons were dual wield gold sharpened daggers and all back bar weapons were gold sharpened bows.
  • All jewelry was purple quality with robust traits and with gold weapon damage enchants.
  • No monster sets used, any extra armor/weapon/jewelry slots were filled with mismatched or duplicate pieces so that they gave no additional set bonuses
  • Front bar: Bloodthirst, Blood Craze, Crit Surge, Expert Hunter, Bound Armaments, Flawless Dawnbreaker
  • Back bar: Poison Injection, Resolving Vigor, Crit Surge, Expert Hunter, Bound Armaments, Flawless Dawnbreaker
Each of the 15 different combinations also shows what Mundus boon was active. I ran more than 15 tests - I tested each non-TBS combination with the Thief and with the Shadow. The graphs only include the Mundus boon that gave more damage. One exception is with Hunding's Rage + Vicious Ophidian, I included both boons because overall damage between the two was almost identical.
I chose to test these particular skills because each has something unique about it. Bloodthirst is the dual wield spammable, Poison Injection does poison damage, Blood Craze applies a bleed which is mitigated differently than other physical damage, and Heavy Attack (fully charged) since the way it scales appears to be more related to weapon damage than max stamina.
RESULTS
Each graph shows the total (as in sum of DOTs if applicable) average damage done by one cast of that ability.
Average damage was calculated with the following formula: [base damage] x [1-weapon critical] + [crit damage] x [weapon critical].
26G8q8B.png

The bottom graph ranks each combination by overall damage output. This is an easy way to rank them best to worst, but it is crude because it assumes that in actual gameplay, each attack is done an equal number of times. For this reason a set that is good with Bloodthirst is more impressive since it gets used most.
Hunding's Rage+Automaton, with its massive boost to physical weapon damage, was very effective for Blood Craze and Heavy Attack, but mediocre for Bloodthirst, and predictably terrible for Poison Injection. All Spriggan combinations did poorly with Blood Craze, because bleeds are not mitigated like other physical damage. Bloodthirst (which is arguably more important for DPS than Blood Craze) paired excellent with Spriggan. All 6 combinations that included Spriggan took the top 6 spots in Bloodthirst. I was surprised Leviathan + TBS, with its huge crit chance and crit damage, did as poorly as it did.
This data is fun to look at but it has limitations. For example, although Leviathan consistently performed at the low end, it would do better if you have good uptime with Major or Minor force. Spriggan did well, but if your group can reduce enemy resistance to less than 4k obviously it won’t grant as much damage.

Sorry the graphs are cramped but there was a lot to stuff in there.
Hope somebody finds this useful.
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome post, now I need to read it a few more times to understand all of it.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • WarpigFunk
    WarpigFunk
    ✭✭✭
    That.... must've taken awhile.
    PS4 [NA]
    Hingle McKringleberry - Altmer MagSorc DD The Flawless Conquerer
    Sek Sual Chocolate - Redguard StamSorc DD Stormproof
    Doktor Feelgood - Breton Templar Healz Boethia's Scythe
    Tiberius Asskickatron - Imperial DK StamTank Mageslayer
    -VERIFIED-
    -FFF-
    vAAHM 100k+, vSOHM 100k+, vHRCHM 100k+, vMoL 78k, vDSA 36k, vMA 535k
  • Donmanzullo
    Donmanzullo
    ✭✭✭
    Took a couple afternoons. Being max level with not much left to do and having farmed all this gear I thought it was worth the time.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kindda amusing that a crafted and BoE set combo came out on top.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    Kindda amusing that a crafted and BoE set combo came out on top.

I find it more amusing that they are all within less then ten percent of each other at the end.

This also doesn't take into account the classes, Templar and dks especially will benefit tons from having a lot of max stam, for PotL and the helping hands passive respectively and for stam temps, repentance only scales on max stam.

Other then that, have an awesome, great work OP.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on March 11, 2017 6:30AM
  • Trihugger
    Trihugger
    ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting to see how these sets do with the actual meta rotation/skills. Maybe test the best few to see if the trend continues.
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    Great post. So why does anyone run TBS.....?
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing work, really well done

theres just 1 thing...

so sorry 2 be this person

u dont have the automoton & vo combination on the list
  • Donmanzullo
    Donmanzullo
    ✭✭✭
    I did every combination that my gear allowed me to do. I didn't have enough complimentary pieces of automaton and vo to run both together.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did every combination that my gear allowed me to do. I didn't have enough complimentary pieces of automaton and vo to run both together.

im currently having to run a precice VO sword so i feel your pain!
    my other options would be a sharpened maul or a powered dagger!
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

im currently having to run a precice VO sword so i feel your pain!
    my other options would be a sharpened maul or a powered dagger!

The sharpened maul would give you more dps then the sword.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on March 11, 2017 9:47AM
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭

because crafted, no farming required, and gives you some health and magicka too?
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    raj72616a wrote: »

because crafted, no farming required, and gives you some health and magicka too?

And not 2 months ago, it was BiS for most stam builds. So people might not want to get a whole now set.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on March 11, 2017 10:21AM
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for your effort!

Clearly Hunding + Spriggan is the winner.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • superleeds19
    superleeds19
    ✭✭
    @raj72616a @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO

It's crafted yes .... if you have 9 traits

Hundings is crafted too, is 6 traits and Peforms better!

as proven above TBS has had its day
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot for your effort!

Clearly Hunding + Spriggan is the winner.

Depends for what content.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Better in a controled test like this and even then it is a single digit difference, though the health you get from TBS might be the difference between life and death. As you surely know, a dead dps gives no dps.

For my stam toons, one stam NB and a stamplar, I use spriggan on my stamblade because I have yet to get sharpened vMA weapons, only precise. I have 2 sharpened master daggers on my stamplar, I use hulking dragur over hundings on that toon because it made my PotL go from 20k to 25k and my repentance go from giving 3.1k stam back to 3.9k. I can get 30k+ dps on both, which is more then enough for any content I run.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent work and thank you!

Don't forget that this testing was done solo. This data is really useful for planning out what your VMA build should be. But if you're making plans for vet trial gear, there are many other variables to take into consideration (group buffs, the DPS impact of avoiding the conservative playstyle OP adopted for the sake of consistent testing, enemy debuffs applied by others, etc.). In fact, I worry that the conservative playstyle of the test) might undermine the test results even in solo situations like VMA. The reason TBS is so good (in theory) is that it scales very well when you are getting off a lot of attacks in a very small amount of time (because it increases damage by a percentage, not by a flat value like Hunding's etc.). OP's test is thus heavily weighted against TBS and toward flat-bonus sets.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great testing. I wonder how much more damage you'll put out by using Twice-Fanged Serpent over Spriggans.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

Don't forget that this testing was done solo. This data is really useful for planning out what your VMA build should be. But if you're making plans for vet trial gear, there are many other variables to take into consideration (group buffs, the DPS impact of avoiding the conservative playstyle OP adopted for the sake of consistent testing, enemy debuffs applied by others, etc.). In fact, I worry that the conservative playstyle of the test) might undermine the test results even in solo situations like VMA. The reason TBS is so good (in theory) is that it scales very well when you are getting off a lot of attacks in a very small amount of time (because it increases damage by a percentage, not by a flat value like Hunding's etc.). OP's test is thus heavily weighted against TBS and toward flat-bonus sets.

Well tbh stamina isn't really ideal for competitive PvE anyways. This testing was mainly useful for those wanting to do undaunted dungeons or VMA.
  • Donmanzullo
    Donmanzullo
    ✭✭✭
    Trihugger wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see how these sets do with the actual meta rotation/skills. Maybe test the best few to see if the trend continues.

Agreed, the only thing is doing a rotation would introduce variability by how well I go through the rotation. I'd like to do a test that combines it all into one DPS number per set. Maybe some day.
    Great testing. I wonder how much more damage you'll put out by using Twice-Fanged Serpent over Spriggans.

TFS sounds amazing considering how much damage Spriggan did. We can estimate the damage increase with TFS because we know that 660 pen = +1% damage, so 1000 more pen would be +1.5% damage compared to Spriggan. But that's only taking into account the 5 piece bonus, because you loose stam and gain crit with TFS which complicates things slightly.
  • Zvorgin
    Zvorgin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth mentioning that there are some non-damage benefits to consider such as skills that return a % of stamina will benefit significantly from Hulking Draugr and I think it buffs self heals such as Rally the most if I recall correctly. I run Spriggan plus Hulking Draugr for PvP and really like it.
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

Well tbh stamina isn't really ideal for competitive PvE anyways. This testing was mainly useful for those wanting to do undaunted dungeons or VMA.

I take offense to that. StamDK especially still pulls the best single target on the boss. And that's what matters.
  • phillyproduct
    phillyproduct
    ✭✭✭
    Trihugger wrote: »

Agreed, the only thing is doing a rotation would introduce variability by how well I go through the rotation. I'd like to do a test that combines it all into one DPS number per set. Maybe some day.

TFS sounds amazing considering how much damage Spriggan did. We can estimate the damage increase with TFS because we know that 660 pen = +1% damage, so 1000 more pen would be +1.5% damage compared to Spriggan. But that's only taking into account the 5 piece bonus, because you loose stam and gain crit with TFS which complicates things slightly.

With tbs and levithan set equip u shouldnt have run thief shadow imo you should try warrior-shadow mundus combo 250 wep from a mundus is almost equal to the 300 from hundings rage
    CP-750 orc nighblade ebonheart NA
    Dark elf sorc ebonheart
    Orc templar
    Dark elf Dragon knight
    Redguard warden

Vet CoA saved the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S616Dhc2Yu4
  • jeskah
    jeskah
    ✭✭✭
    Hmhmhmh... impressive work. :)

Could you do an Endless Hail parse too? just out of curiosity.

• Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to test which set combination gives the best damage so I compared the damage done by 4 different skills/abilities while wearing 15 different set combinations.
    SETS TESTED:
    kZJ2iss.png

METHODOLOGY
    I used Slimecraw in Veteran Wayrest Sewers I as my test dummy. I did all this on my CP 600 Redguard Sorc.

For these tests, I had to standardize my gear, skills, buffs, passives, and everything else about my character in order to make sure the only variables between each test were the set bonuses. That way the sets can be directly compared. Many things had to be considered to keep damage consistent:
    • I suppressed my weapon enchants with a hindering poison on both bars, which effectively removed the RNG of the enchantment without modifying damage output.
    • Poison Injection was only used when Slimecraw was above 50% health, and was cast standing as close as possible to avoid Long Shots passive damage bonus which increases damage based on how far away you are.
    • Light and heavy attacks were not used within 5 seconds of Poison Injection or its DOT to avoid the Hawk Eye passive damage bonus.
    • Dual wield attacks were never used when Slimecraw was below 25% health to avoid the Slaughter passive damage bonus.
    • Slimecraw was never stunned, disoriented, immobilized, or silenced to avoid the Ruffian passive damage bonus.
    • I kept Crit Surge, Bound Armaments, and food buff (max health max stamina) up 100% of the time.
    • All skills and relevant passives were max level.
    • I only bar swapped when there were no DOTs running.
    • I used each ability at least 4 times with each set combination to make sure I got the same damage numbers and wasn’t overlooking some detail.
    • All armor was gold medium divines with gold stamina enchants.
    • All front bar weapons were dual wield gold sharpened daggers and all back bar weapons were gold sharpened bows.
    • All jewelry was purple quality with robust traits and with gold weapon damage enchants.
    • No monster sets used, any extra armor/weapon/jewelry slots were filled with mismatched or duplicate pieces so that they gave no additional set bonuses
    • Front bar: Bloodthirst, Blood Craze, Crit Surge, Expert Hunter, Bound Armaments, Flawless Dawnbreaker
    • Back bar: Poison Injection, Resolving Vigor, Crit Surge, Expert Hunter, Bound Armaments, Flawless Dawnbreaker
    Each of the 15 different combinations also shows what Mundus boon was active. I ran more than 15 tests - I tested each non-TBS combination with the Thief and with the Shadow. The graphs only include the Mundus boon that gave more damage. One exception is with Hunding's Rage + Vicious Ophidian, I included both boons because overall damage between the two was almost identical.
    I chose to test these particular skills because each has something unique about it. Bloodthirst is the dual wield spammable, Poison Injection does poison damage, Blood Craze applies a bleed which is mitigated differently than other physical damage, and Heavy Attack (fully charged) since the way it scales appears to be more related to weapon damage than max stamina.
    RESULTS
    Each graph shows the total (as in sum of DOTs if applicable) average damage done by one cast of that ability.
    Average damage was calculated with the following formula: [base damage] x [1-weapon critical] + [crit damage] x [weapon critical].
    26G8q8B.png

The bottom graph ranks each combination by overall damage output. This is an easy way to rank them best to worst, but it is crude because it assumes that in actual gameplay, each attack is done an equal number of times. For this reason a set that is good with Bloodthirst is more impressive since it gets used most.
    Hunding's Rage+Automaton, with its massive boost to physical weapon damage, was very effective for Blood Craze and Heavy Attack, but mediocre for Bloodthirst, and predictably terrible for Poison Injection. All Spriggan combinations did poorly with Blood Craze, because bleeds are not mitigated like other physical damage. Bloodthirst (which is arguably more important for DPS than Blood Craze) paired excellent with Spriggan. All 6 combinations that included Spriggan took the top 6 spots in Bloodthirst. I was surprised Leviathan + TBS, with its huge crit chance and crit damage, did as poorly as it did.
    This data is fun to look at but it has limitations. For example, although Leviathan consistently performed at the low end, it would do better if you have good uptime with Major or Minor force. Spriggan did well, but if your group can reduce enemy resistance to less than 4k obviously it won’t grant as much damage.

Sorry the graphs are cramped but there was a lot to stuff in there.
    Hope somebody finds this useful.

It is pretty useful, I did some testing with alot of these sets as well, only changing 5pc set bonus for the most part. I did several slimecraw tests to find averages and what I found was that tbs performed best with raid buffs, leviathan+shadow wasnt far behind but worked best with low resistance mobs and sharpened weapons. Automaton and thief worked better, but really only if using sharp weps or someone was using nmg. If not using sharp wepsnI found spriggans was often best performing. tbs with raid bufs always gave the best score but unsharp weps was definitely noticable.

They're all good sets, tbh they're all kind of niche to help compensate amd balande whatever your build is lacking. Not all my vma weapons are sharp atm so spriggans is giving me the highest overall dps, but in a trial setting with many more damage buffs, penetration buffs, amd critical damage modifiers TBS still outperforms.

Tested sets with 3gold vo, gold vma weapons, gold kra'ghs
    Edited by Ep1kMalware on March 11, 2017 7:38PM
  • Valderis
    Valderis
    ✭✭
    What is your CP breakdown?

How come Warrior Mundus wasn't tested?

How many times were each set combinations tested?

Thanks for the info
    Jone and Jode are in a dance. Who leads, you ask? There, lies the wisdom of my ancestors... - Ra'fiiq
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing that has to be mentioned:
    In combination with MSA weapons every set that gives stamina or weapon dmg is suppressed by the MSA dual wield enchant. Therefore in dot heavy builds sets like VO, Leviathan and TBS should be much closer to sets that increase weapon dmg or stamina.
    If you have the time you could run the tests with for MSA buffed dots.
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
  • smithist
    smithist
    ✭✭
    Very interesting. NMG is conspicuously absent though. Is it so out of vogue as to not be worth testing? I thought it was still considered fairly competitive. If not solo, at least for the group debuff?
  • cpuScientist
    cpuScientist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smithist wrote: »
    Very interesting. NMG is conspicuously absent though. Is it so out of vogue as to not be worth testing? I thought it was still considered fairly competitive. If not solo, at least for the group debuff?

Spriggan for solo beats it. It would just be a weaker spriggan in all these tests the