Hair Color Options

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    lagrue wrote: »
    Im against this wholly. Last thing I want is for everbody to have blue hair like japenese rpg characters of the mid 90s.

I can understand your concern. But this line of thinking was thankfully shown to be unfounded when dye stations were introduced: There was a chorus of concern beforehand about hideous colour schemes from players etc etc. But it simply did not eventuate. The vast majority of players dye their character's armour in very suitable colours.

The same will be the case for hair colour.
    Its also quite possible to limit the hair colors to natural ones like it currently is.
    I however doubt Raz hair is its natural color :)
    Not an hairdo you select for an secret agent.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    lagrue wrote: »
    Im against this wholly. Last thing I want is for everbody to have blue hair like japenese rpg characters of the mid 90s.

I can understand your concern. But this line of thinking was thankfully shown to be unfounded when dye stations were introduced: There was a chorus of concern beforehand about hideous colour schemes from players etc etc. But it simply did not eventuate. The vast majority of players dye their character's armour in very suitable colours.

The same will be the case for hair colour.
    Its also quite possible to limit the hair colors to natural ones like it currently is.
    I however doubt Raz hair is its natural color :)
    Not an hairdo you select for an secret agent.

There is at least one other Khajiit in the game that has red hair. A female in the docs in Woodhearth, Greenshade. I don't know if it is natural, but if I remember it correctly, her whiskers were red too. Raz's whiskers are not red, unless I'm mistaken, so I think it is a color that can be naturally occurring on Khajiit, but Raz dyes his hair. Or that other Khajiit dyes her whiskers :P
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty obvious Tamriel has access to hair gel and dye...

600px-OB-npc-Adoring_Fan.jpg
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been asking for this forever! Please add this as an option!
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • ViciousBunnii
    ViciousBunnii
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to be able to dye my toons' hair! Miss having red hair.
    PC/NA

Forever salty about the Shadow Rider Senche
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illustrating this post:
    Abeille wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »
    And pleeeease let all races be able to use all the different kind of hair dyes!

Paging @Abeille ;)

You must be a mind-reader! :P

This is my list of missing hair colors:
    Black for Altmer and Nord.
    Dark brown for Altmer.
    Red for Khajiit and Imperial.
    White for Bosmer.
    On a side note: The Crown Store hair styles for Khajiit that have a straight texture look blue-ish if the Khajiit has black hair instead of looking like, well, black hair.

I will give one example of each of these to avoid putting way too many pictures in a single post. The only hair color I won't give an example of is the dark brown for Altmer because I don't remember where I saw it (perhaps I didn't see it and my mind is playing tricks on me). Anyways, here we go:

Black for Altmer:
    wrj2Dun.png
    This Altmer NPC has black hair and is, like most black-haired Altmer, member of the Veiled Heritance. The fact that they are part of a highly racist group indicates that there is a possibility that black hair occur naturally on the Altmer and is not result of mixing. However, most Altmer NPCs with black hair also have darker skin, which might indicate that they have some Ayleid blood. Either way, it is a thing that exists (and that was also present on other TES games).

Black for Nord:
    uZ17Opp.png
    Nords have access to dark brown in the Character Creator, but not actual black. I don't think I even needed to provide proof of this one since a lot of us played Skyrim and a big chunk of the Nord population had black hair. Including the brothers Vilkas and Farkas of the Companions, who I know were popular marriage candidates.

Red for Khajiit:
    CHtq86u.png
    We all know Raz has red hair (and I just checked and I was wrong, he has red whiskers too!). But I wanted to show another Khajiit that also has red hair. I think the color of the whiskers indicate that red is natural for Khajiit, despite not being available to us.

Red for Imperial:
    1P52aQu.png
    She is a priestess of Mara. Her hair is of a brown-ish tone, not too vibrant, which makes it look very natural (and pretty!). But I have no basis to say if her hair is naturally red or if it is dyed. They have something similar in the character creator, but it is more of a dark blonde than red hair. It is certainly not like this.

White for Bosmer:
    Qf8kjim.png
    Look at him. His face is dirty, but he is clearly not very old. He has no wrinkles at all. White seems to be a common hair color for the races of Mer. Bosmer have a "dirty white" color available in the character creator, but this pure, bright and almost blue-ish white is only available to... Every other race of Mer.

And last but not least, the "blue Khajiiti hair" issue:
    mPodKMy.png
    This puts the Khajiit on my "no true black hair" races list. This problem was only noticed after the Khajiit were able to wear hair styles that have straight textures. Basically, if your black-haired Khajiit wears a Crown Store hair style that has a straight texture, it looks blue. Here's my armored kitty, Zadarri, modeling the two Crown Store hair styles of different textures just for you and feeling blue.

Edited to replace a couple of night pics with day ones.
    Edited by Abeille on March 9, 2017 7:41PM
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:

Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • jlboozer
    jlboozer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to have black hair on my Altmer, black hair seems fitting for a mag sorc high elf....but I guess white will do until then
    Edited by jlboozer on March 9, 2017 6:24PM
    Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Totally support this idea. Would love to be able to dye hair a wide variety of colours

But I do really really want black hair for my Altmer, so would settle for that....
    Edited by Hallothiel on March 9, 2017 6:23PM
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlboozer wrote: »
    I would love to have black hair on my Altmer, black hair seems fitting for a mag sorc high elf....but I guess white will do until then

My "solution" was to pick the darkest possible eyebrows and the darkest possible hair color (which looks like chocolate milk) and wear a hood at all times.

Literally all times.

For three years.

Meet my characters:

Options
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Abeille

As no black, went totally opposite & gave my Altmer mage white hair.

But it should be black. As a raven's wing.
    Options
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's crazy that this isn't already in game. It's been years and as far as I know they haven't even acknowledged this. We need true gray hair for redguards.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmetzger93 wrote: »
    It's crazy that this isn't already in game. It's been years and as far as I know they haven't even acknowledged this. We need true gray hair for redguards.

I once got a reply from support saying that every race's assortment of hair, eye and skin colors are compatible with the lore, meaning that what I wanted (that being black hair for Altmer) is not. Which, as everybody knows, is false. But that was back on beta, and afaik they never talked about it openly.

Meet my characters:

Options
  • Pumpkin_pants
    Pumpkin_pants
    ✭✭✭
    If the hair colors were made a crown store item, maybe add it to another section under the dye station to unlock and be able to share across all characters? I'm not sure I like how the dyes in the crown store work as I understand them to. I would never buy a dye in the crown store as it is & I certainly would never purchase a token to change my characters looks just so I could color their hair. I am one off from max characters and that would be too expensive.

I once got a reply from support saying that every race's assortment of hair, eye and skin colors are compatible with the lore, meaning that what I wanted (that being black hair for Altmer) is not. Which, as everybody knows, is false. But that was back on beta, and afaik they never talked about it openly.

The thing about that is, it's not as if we are implying it is the characters natural color. We just want to be able to color it something unnatural. ( I know you understand ) It just seems like the support who replied to you didn't.
    Edited by Pumpkin_pants on March 9, 2017 6:47PM
    Options
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to implement it would be to just put a pack in the crown store that works similairly to how hairstyles or adornments work.

It would be nice if they could do it with eye colour to.
    Options
  • Pumpkin_pants
    Pumpkin_pants
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time understanding why people WANT this to be a crown store thing?
    Options
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I race changed my imperial to a redguard and changed her hair color. Didn't like redguard and switched back to imperial. She looks so much better with black hair.
    Options
  • MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having a hard time understanding why people WANT this to be a crown store thing?

It's not like I would be against it being free, but it feels rather unlikely that we would get it for free. And if I have to pay for it I would prefer it to be a one time payment.

Of course, they could also add dye masters that dye our hair for a small gold fee ;)
    Options
  • Pumpkin_pants
    Pumpkin_pants
    ✭✭✭
    MAEK wrote: »

It's not like I would be against it being free, but it feels rather unlikely that we would get it for free. And if I have to pay for it I would prefer it to be a one time payment.

Of course, they could also add dye masters that dye our hair for a small gold fee ;)

Okay, I understand where you are coming from. I just really don't like how the dyes currently in the crown store work, they just didn't make them worth buying IMO. So, if they could make the colors un-lockable at the dye station via crowns, I would probably end up unlocking them all.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the hair colors were made a crown store item, maybe add it to another section under the dye station to unlock and be able to share across all characters? I'm not sure I like how the dyes in the crown store work as I understand them to. I would never buy a dye in the crown store as it is & I certainly would never purchase a token to change my characters looks just so I could color their hair. I am one off from max characters and that would be too expensive.

The thing about that is, it's not as if we are implying it is the characters natural color. We just want to be able to color it something unnatural. ( I know you understand ) It just seems like the support who replied to you didn't.

I want at least the natural colors to be available. I mean, how comes Dunmer are allowed to have so many eye colors when the curse that made them into Dunmer to begin with specifically made their eyes red ("Azura changed the Chimer into Dunmer, and their skin turned ashen and their eyes into fire", Nerevar at Red Mountain. Yes I know purple eyes are also a thing, but please explain the blue-ish white ones to me). But when it comes to Altmer having a hair color that they were previously allowed to have, and that the Altmer npc do have, it is not lore-friendly? Oh please. They could at least be consistent when it comes to limitations on character customization.

Now, to drive my point home:

Altmer in Elder Scrolls Legend

Altmer in a pre-release promo screenshot
    latest?cb=20130715222730

Ohh and I almost forgot Stormhaven's loading screen, right in the center of it:
    vn7f5Ge.png
    Yes I am positive that's a black-haired Altmer. Tall, golden-skinned, pointy ears, black hair.
    Edited by Abeille on March 9, 2017 7:40PM

Meet my characters:

Options
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't understand how, with all their combined knowledge of dying metal armor and clothing, the people of Tamriel still haven't the slightest clue how to dye.... hair.... It's a lot more difficult to change the color of a metal and get it to last than throwing a bit of tomato in your hair to turn it red! (Until you bathe, which people in Tamriel don't know how to do either with the exception of occasionally having to swim.)

Seriously though, just give us a crown store pack like the accessories pack allowing all available hair colors to be used on all races, able to be changed at will. This, I believe, would be more than enough to keep people happy with this topic for at least a while. Eventually adding in new ones.
    Options
  • MasterPerceval
    MasterPerceval
    ✭✭✭
    Im totally for this, but-

ZOS want us to use appearance change tokens for more revenue...
    Edited by MasterPerceval on March 9, 2017 7:43PM
    PC EU

Estelle van Heeckeren - DC Redguard Stamina Sorcerer
    Nikita Nightclaws - AD Khajiit Stamina Nightblade
    Amarië Tar-Míriel - AD High-Elf Magicka Templar
    Cimmerian Mortis - AD Dunmer Magicka Dragon Knight
    Maud van Heeckeren - AD Redguard Stamina Sorcerer
    blåckstår - AD Nord Stamina Dragon Knight
    Salva Mae - AD Khajiit Stamina Warden
    Options
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have this, its the appearance change tokens...
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im totally for this, but-

ZOS want us to use appearance change tokens for more revenue...
    Then why did they add the other packs? Hair styles, marks, accessories?

They could have added new stuff to the character creator and made us buy appearance change tokens to use this new stuff if they were thinking like you are, like in GW2.
    They do have this, its the appearance change tokens...

No they don't.

1 - The appearance change tokens only let you use the colors already available in the character creator.

2 - We can have packs that let us change markings, hair styles and accessories whenever we want without having to buy an appearance change token. Why not a hair color pack too?
    Edited by Abeille on March 9, 2017 8:34PM

Meet my characters:

Options
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert I just want to make sure that you see this. We have been asking for a long time. Please consider this idea
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert I just want to make sure that you see this. We have been asking for a long time. Please consider this idea

I'm sure they have plans to introduce it eventually. It is just not an immediate issue they have to deal with, surely :)

It will come. They surprised us with the other cosmetic packs - best thing ever - so I'm sure one day I'll enter the PTS and BOOM, hair color pack!

Meet my characters:

Options
  • Pumpkin_pants
    Pumpkin_pants
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I have to add is another reason the hair color options being a crown store item is such a big turn off for me, is that I am already a subscriber. To add having to BUY hair colors, just seems like a bit of a smack in the face when IMO they should have already been options. I guess playing other MMOs spoiled me, but like I said I was really disappointed when I got to the hair color part of character creation. I guess it would feel like disappointment number 2 within the topic if they were made a crown store item. Just how I feel.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I have to add is another reason the hair color options being a crown store item is such a big turn off for me, is that I am already a subscriber. To add having to BUY hair colors, just seems like a bit of a smack in the face when IMO they should have already been options. I guess playing other MMOs spoiled me, but like I said I was really disappointed when I got to the hair color part of character creation. I guess it would feel like disappointment number 2 within the topic if they were made a crown store item. Just how I feel.

Being a buy-to-play game with RNG boxes, I do not think it is realistic to hope that they will add it as a free system. It can happen, but it just isn't something that I think it's going to happen. I will already be happy if it is not locked in the Crown Crates, tbh. I'm a subscriber too and I will just use my sub Crowns which are currently piling up because there is so little to buy through direct purchase.

I fully expect it to be added as a cosmetic packs like the other packs that they have been releasing lately.

Meet my characters:

Options
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dyed hair should still show the roots of the natural hair. Make it obviously dyed.
    Options
  • RavenRoxie
    RavenRoxie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want them to release the half shaved hairstyle and have a streaked version pleeeeeeeeassseeeee
    Phantogram DC | Wood Elf | Magicka Nightblade/ | DPS | 856cp
    False Paradox | AD | Wood Elf | Non Combative Nightblade | Crafter | 856cp
    @RoxieParadoxx | Twitch | Twitter
    Options
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes please! I want this so bad! we have hairstyle/facialhair/jewelry change in game, why not something as smple as hair color??
    Options