Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

PC control question - How can you play so fast?

parkham
parkham
✭✭✭
I watched some Deltia videos regarding builds and walkthroughs. How do you all map your keys? Is it just muscle memory? I can't currently cycle through the buttons and bars as fast as I see on videos. Advice?

I read about get "high DPS". I have some addon that uses the command /cmx to show battle stats such as dps. I average about 8k dps on any given fight. One time I saw 28k but there were a lot of weak enemies. I deduce that I'm not "good" or fast enough yet.

Is it just a matter of being able to play fast? I know about animation cancelling etc.. but just the cycling through stuff AND being on the move at the same time .. is difficult.

Thanks

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
- Divine Crusade Guild
- Greybeards & Gals Guild
- Dead Citizens Guild
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WASD has been the control standard since gaming came out, so that is pretty well tatoo'd on our cortex.

The number keys are easy to as we typically map our keys to types of attacks, not necessarily skills. In other words, and this is an example

1. Opener/Buff
    2. DoT
    3. Spam Damage
    4. Spam Damage
    5. Shield/Recovery

So, we just pick skills that fit the category so that in the fight, we just know to go 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,5 as needed. Obviously the rotation is down to personal preference and build and gear etc. But we get the skill selection and more importantly the sequence out of the way before we fight, then we just use the keys in order or in a pattern.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the response. What you mention is what I do.

I just can't do it AND always be on the move at the same time and be seamless about it. Obviously I'm missing something.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    Thank you for the response. What you mention is what I do.

I just can't do it AND always be on the move at the same time and be seamless about it. Obviously I'm missing something.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Same as learning guitar cords, just gotta practice a bunch slow and eventually you'll get lightning fast.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I feel like a dummy when I get all confused between bar swaps. I have often enough just stood there for almost a second until my fingers "reset" haha. Thanks for the reply.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Razer Naga
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Razer Naga

Checking it, thanks.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, I am not the most skilled player out there. It's why I don't PvP, I am the guy that pads the other players stats while I resurrect in place.

Ring finger for movement, index and middle fingers for skills. Honestly gaming got better for me when I learned to be a better touch typist. Use something like Mavis Beacon teaches typing. Until you can type out sentences without looking at your keyboard, its going to be harder to pull it all together in a game. Lucky thing, you only have about 10 keys to worry about.

Your right in that it is muscle memory. And, I could not move and attack at first. But I started by simply strafing left or right or running backwards and firing off skills. From there I learned to circle and fire off skills. So i did not try to do everything at once. I started with simple things. Once you get that down, then dodge rolling and firing off skills.

The Practice Dummies are good for learning this, or, Mammoths or Ice Atronachs are good for kiting and attacking.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an naga MMO mouse with 12 buttons for the thumb, find that it helps a lot in ESO as I can move and keep the rotation.
    12 is overkill but the buttons in the back is to hard to reach anyway.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • gestep
    gestep
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I feel like a dummy when I get all confused between bar swaps. I have often enough just stood there for almost a second until my fingers "reset" haha. Thanks for the reply.

I do this sometimes.. :smiley:
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone does at the start, it's even more fun when the meta changes and you mix up you bar.

Every now and then I will be a PvE boss fight and spamming Sap Essence instead of Swallow Soul and then switch back fast hoping no one noticed.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno about Deltia's gaming, but for me it's muscle memory and practice. It also helps to be used to your build. I tend to stumble for a bit after switching moves up.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One part thumb muscle memory, one part Corsair Vengeance M95 mouse. The arc of buttons along the side top are 1-6, with 6 being my ult. The rest is practice.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    I use a razer naga for my mouse/skills and a logitech g13 gamepad for everything else.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    I'll keep hammering away at it! I can only assume that DPS will go up a lot as a result.

If I feel froggy, I might spring for one of those Razers or Logitechs too. Practicing on the dummies is a good idea too.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's got their own set ups but you should be able to instinctively press a button without looking down for it etc. Muscle memory.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a basic gray mouse and a basic white keyboard. It's possible : 3
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • Meryyl
    Meryyl
    ✭✭✭
    After many years on consoles, I finally left my PS4 1.5 years ago. NEVER thought I would get used to kbm. A few months ago, I picked up Padstarr to emulate the controls to my DS4. I spent several days mapping for efficiency and (much to my surprise!) found kbm much more intuitive. I guess the motor mapping took place without my even noticing.

Like everyone else says - practice, practice, practice.
    Police Detective: “Why did you shoot him, Marlowe?”
    Phillip Marlowe: “There was a lot of killing going on and I wasn’t getting my fair share.”
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horowonnoe wrote: »

You need more RGB in your life. There is a whole rainbow of glowing lights out there for you friend!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here and I can move and animation cancel just as fast . Practice is all it takes .
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I struggle with speed and 'panic pauses' as well. Part of it is my very old fingers are not as fast as they used to be. I use kb & mouse and have remapped most things. I do get some help in that I only play one game at a time (years) before moving to another; part of that is maintain familiarity with controlling my character. I also only play one main char (other is a crafter).

Anyway, I have a couple extra buttons on my mouse and use the mouse for attack, block, bash, jump, synergy use, stow weapon, switch weapon, quickslot.

The main remapping on my kb is, while I still use S/D for left/right, I use my thumb on the Space bar/B for forward/backwards movement. I also map abilities 1-5 to QWERT. Then F (get), X (sneak) and a few other changes. Just a matter of playing around to find what works best.

I also try to arrange my skills so that ones I commonly cast sequentially are assigned to lined up next to each other.

I still sometimes panic and wish for the pause button! :p
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my mouse, it has two buttons near the thumb. I map skill 1 to button 1, skill 2 to button 2, skill 3 to scroll wheel click, skill 4 to scroll wheel up, and skill 5 to scroll wheel down. Everything is in a small area and needs very minimal hand movement. While this does require camera zoom rebinding, I don't mind.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for comments. I've been typing quite well (60+ WPM) for 30 years, literally. I think my problem is more of a "coordination" issue. Speed, speed! The whole walk then run thing.
    I can * do * what I see others doing. I just can't * do * it seamlessly. Practice practice!

@AcadianPaladin which mouse do you use that has the extra buttons? Ones that have already been mentioned?

@Horowonnoe I know, I know.. it's the answer I needed to hear but didn't want to hear, ha!
    Edited by parkham on March 7, 2017 1:51PM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be afraid to change your keybinds to what is intuitive to you. Trying to keep common keys within reach helps (the less your hand has to move, the faster it will be and less chance of fat-fingering the keyboard or shifting.)

One underrated thing is don't be afraid to unmap your keybinds, as well. Nothing more glorious than being knee deep in battle and having your inventory UI block out the sun, and the "character sheet synergy" is always awesome.

Combine these things and you can double map most actions. You have two hands, make use of them. For instance, bar swap via middle mouse button and/or Numeric Keypad "Enter" key are easy and natural to find - allowing you to have full ASWD movement still available. CAPS LOCK for 'command pet' is a lot easier to find than 'Y.'

I've been out of the mix on more than one occasion for accidentally declining a rez I changed both buttons to Accept, and moved decline elsewhere.

When you get a setup you like, you can use the Addon Binder to copy the layout to all your characters.

Last thing, all keyboards/mice are not created equal. Doesn't mean you have to have a $200 BlackWidow, but you want one that has the tactile feel and response that feels right to you. Even keyspacing can vary a little from one to another.

Good luck, and keep practicing!
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for comments. I've been typing quite well (60+ WPM) for 30 years, literally. I think my problem is more of a "coordination" issue. Speed, speed! The whole walk then run thing.
    I can * do * what I see others doing. I just can't * do * it seamlessly. Practice practice!

@AcadianPaladin .which mouse do you use that has the extra buttons? Ones that have already been mentioned?

@Horowonnoe I know, I know.. it's the answer I needed to hear but didn't want to hear, ha!

There's actually a few various mice you can use. If you can't afford a Naga, UtechSmart (Venus) has a mouse that's pretty good for it's price. I've been using it and so far I haven't been disappointed.
    Edited by FleetwoodSmack on March 7, 2017 2:14PM
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Damianos
    Damianos
    ✭✭✭✭
    which mouse do you use that has the extra buttons? Ones that have already been mentioned?/quote]

Razer-Naga-Chroma-2.jpg

Once you have a Naga there is no turning back.
  • NinJake
    NinJake
    ✭✭
    I have a Logitech G502, which has a "back" and "forward" button near the thumb.

I keep keybinds 1, 2, and 3 normal. Usually 1 is something very utility based, that only needs to be cast every now and then, like magelight or some sort of buff. 2 is AoE attacks, 3 is main AoE/DoT(self-heal on back bar).

From there I rebind 4 and 5 to my back and forward buttons respectively, and use those the most often. These are normally single target attacks.

As others have stated, try to find what works best for you. I personally like splitting the use of mouse + kb instead of a mouse like the Naga where there are just so many buttons xD
    Lunaethir - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Lunithia - High Elf Templar
    Oden Ravenson - Nord Dragonknight
    Za' Rei - Khajiit Nightblade
    Vlanarus Curassius - Imperial Sorcerer
    Helventhia - Breton Templar (Current WIP)
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

You need more RGB in your life. There is a whole rainbow of glowing lights out there for you friend!

I will definitely check if they have basic mouses in other colors too. Perhaps with lights, yes.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My mouse is a Corsair but I think I would look for something else if I had it to do again. Like most mice, it has left & right click, roller press, roll forward or back. Then this one has two thumb buttons on the side. One is real easy to reach the other not quite as much. If I was looking again, I would look for one with 12 buttons on the side. I could never navigate them all but, hopefully, maybe as many as three or four might suit my thumb in a fight.

Like someone else mentioned, I also map a couple not often used things to the area of the number keypad and, with a glance, can tap them with my right thumb. Too clunky for combat but can be helpful for things like maybe sneak or mount/dismount.

I'm glad to hear there are others who remap. And others who sometimes fumblefinger things up when things get hectic.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a Razer Tartarus in my left hand, and a Razer Ouroborus in my right. It's been a great set up for me, and allows for quick response since everything is literally at my finger tips. The best part is that I use the joystick on the Tartarus to move, so I don't have to stop attacking while moving. It's been great.

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-chroma

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros
  • Churga_Hral
    Churga_Hral
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ring finger for movement, index and middle fingers for skills.
    Thanks for the tip!