Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

PC control question - How can you play so fast?

• riberion
    riberion
    ✭✭✭
    parkham wrote: »
    Thanks for comments. I've been typing quite well (60+ WPM) for 30 years, literally. I think my problem is more of a "coordination" issue. Speed, speed! The whole walk then run thing.
    I can * do * what I see others doing. I just can't * do * it seamlessly. Practice practice!

@AcadianPaladin .which mouse do you use that has the extra buttons? Ones that have already been mentioned?

@Horowonnoe I know, I know.. it's the answer I needed to hear but didn't want to hear, ha!

There's actually a few various mice you can use. If you can't afford a Naga, UtechSmart (Venus) has a mouse that's pretty good for it's price. I've been using it and so far I haven't been disappointed.

I agree on the UtechSmart. I use the Uranus (I can't seem to navigate 12 buttons on the side lol), and I map my heals, buffs, weapon swap, and ultimate to the mouse. I basically only use the number keys for spammable and execute. It made a huge difference on my attack speed.
    PC NA
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syrani wrote: »
    I use a Razer Tartarus in my left hand, and a Razer Ouroborus in my right. It's been a great set up for me, and allows for quick response since everything is literally at my finger tips. The best part is that I use the joystick on the Tartarus to move, so I don't have to stop attacking while moving. It's been great.

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-tartarus-chroma

https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros

I use a similar setup - logitech G500 + G13
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    WASD has been the control standard since gaming came out, so that is pretty well tatoo'd on our cortex.
    I have never used WASD in any game ever ...

I'm left-handed and i use the mouse (Left Handed Naga) with my left hand and use my right hand for the keyboard.

My key-binds are:

Forward: (Physical) Left Mouse button (mapped to logical right button because left-handed mouse)
    Attack: (Physical) Right Mouse button (mapped to logical left button because left-handed mouse)
    Back: Down Arrow
    Strafe Left: Left Arrow
    Strafe Right: Right Arrow
    Jump: Up Arrow
    Sprint: Num-0
    Crouch: CTRL
    Interrupt: Right Shift
    Skills 1-5: Backslash | Delete | End | Page Down | Num-4
    Ultimate: Home | Key on Naga Keypad
    Block: Key on Naga Keypad
    Quickslot: Backspace
    Interact: Enter
    Weapon Swap: Mouse Wheel Up
    Synergy: Mouse Wheel Down

type.gif
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left-handed so what works for me may not work for right-handed people but what helped me a lot was shifting all my combat keys to the number pad. Because it's a smaller block of keys and they're in line with each other I find it much easier to keep track of where my hand is, which pretty much eliminates the problem of pressing the wrong button, and there's more than enough keys for everything I need.

I put my skills on 1-5, synergy on 6, quick slot on 7, interrupt on 8 and ultimate on 9, then dodge on 0, crouch on enter, swap weapon on + and I use my thumb on the arrow keys (right hand, remember) to move. Oh and jump on ctrl and sprint on shift, so I can reach them with my hand on the arrow keys when I need to.

I have E, R and Alt bound to 3 of the buttons along the top of the keyboard, but I also have a Logitech G400 mouse which has 5 extra buttons and 3 of them are bound to the same commands, so I mostly use them. (The other two are dodge and mount.)

What I really want now is one of those keyboards with the programmable lights so if I can colour code everything to help me remember where things are, and so when I want to add a new keybinding I can easily see where there's space. But I've just had to buy a new graphics card and I want another hard drive, so that won't be happening any time soon.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have weapon swap for the thumb button on my mouse, E for dodge roll and T for ultimate (so there are no accidental ultimates).

However, given the 8k single target dps, it sounds like your sets + attribute points + CP aren't configured correctly for high dps, rather than it being a problem with fingers. By the way, DPS is measured as single-target damage. AOE damage gives far higher results, but is not used to measure DPS.

Then it's just practice, practice, practice. :)
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the thing, when I am "fast", I do double that, and once I did almost 28k.

I'm not really sure what is considered good dps anyway. I have normal burning spell weave, green and blue julianos, dps build cp (cp183) with all in primary magicka, and a purple sharpened destruction staff.

Maybe if I had all gold equipment, the right monster sets and prismatic enchants?

Edited by parkham on March 8, 2017 12:00AM

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ring finger for movement, index and middle fingers for skills.
    Thanks for the tip!

I don't think I could hit 1 or 2 using my ring finger solely for movement before I got my current mouse. My resting postion of my left hand is such;

Pinky = L Shift = Sprint
    Ring = A = Left
    Middle = W = Forward
    Index = D = Right
    Thumb = Space bar = Jump

Ring hits skills 1 & 2, Middle hits 3-5 plus the ult. My middle handles back and forward, and if needed could hit 2 or 3. If I needed to move left while hitting 1, or vice versus for 5 and right, I would bring my thumb up. Though now I just use my left hand for movement, right thumb for skills.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Razer Naga

Six button HEX razer naga. I also have weapon swap mapped to the middle mouse button, so my fingers don't have to leave the keys I need to move and attack.
    Edited by Minalan on March 9, 2017 4:36PM
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a question: How do you lefties do it? Calculator key remap? Mouse with the left hand or right?