The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lorebooks

Kaymorolis
Kaymorolis
✭✭✭
Every so often I come across a glowing scroll/book/whatever and when I examine it I get "Lorebook Discovered", but I don't exactly know what that means. I've seen tips here where someone says something like "get your lorebooks".

Why? What purpose do they serve?
PC | NA
CP: 240+
Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you join the mages guild you will get a new skill line which is levelled up by finding those lore books. The mages skill line has some really powerful abilities and passives, so go to your first city and visit the mags guild.

Nb there is also the fighters guild, and joining them gives another skill line which is levelled up by killing undead and daedra.

I hope that makes sense.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    @Kaymorolis What Jim_Pipp said. Some of them also have some pretty cool stories - if you read them. Basically (from what little I know):

Mage's Guild - Lorebooks

Fighter's Guild - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/184559/fighters-guild-level-progression

Undaunted - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/305574/undaunted-skill-line-how-to-increase

Alliance - https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/286272/how-do-you-level-up-your-alliance-rank

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding to what others have said, purple lore books are arranged in "collections." The books that level mages guild are listed in your journal under lore books...shalidor's insights.

Each book gives some mage guild line xp, and completing a collection gives a big mage guild boost. Your journal,has a checklist for each collection for easy tracking.

Each zone in the game has a zone collection of ten books. For example, there are ten books in the Auridon Lore collection, all located in Auridon. The zone collections tend to be clustered in 1/3rd of the area of that zone.

There are several other collections that have books spread across multiple zones.

Some collections can only be completed by obtaining books from Cyrodiil.

The mage's guild storyline offers a new quest at each new mage guild level up to six.

The mage guild skill line can be further leveled up to ten, at which point all abilities and passives are unlocked. Many magic players want mage guild ten to unlock meteor...a powerful ultimate.

You can generally get to mage guild six by just picking up any purple book you see...by the time you're in your 40s you'll probably be mage guild six and able to complete that quest line. If you want to level to ten and get meteor...ugh...it's a grind, lol. You need to complete about 15 collections. So if you plan on doing this, use a sky shard / lore book map online to gather these items your first time through so that you don't have to do a bunch of annoying backtracking later.
  • Kamatsu
    Kamatsu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another point about the Mages Guild skill line & the lore books not mentioned yet - any book you read prior to joining the Mages Guild will still count towards the skill line.

IE Say you've read enough lore books that you should be Mages Guild level 4 when you finally join the guild, you will start at level 4 and not level 1.
    Edited by Kamatsu on February 23, 2017 4:58AM
    o_O
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Kamatsu wrote: »
    Another point about the Mages Guild skill line & the lore books not mentioned yet - any book you read prior to joining the Mages Guild will still count towards the skill line.

IE Say you've read enough lore books that you should be Mages Guild level 4 when you finally join the guild, you will start at level 4 and not level 1.

Thank you @Kamatsu for this point, as it was going to be my next question. I've found a number of lorebooks but haven't come across the mages guild in my travels as of yet.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar