The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why did you nerf magicka templars?

• Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »
    I dont know anybody who is playing the class now that is not hammering BOL.

I 1vX and small scale on my magplar. I don't BOL spam, so its nice to meet you, @FENGRUSH
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty ridiculous the amount of hatred you can get coming into a templar thread.

I dont know anybody who is playing the class now that is not hammering BOL. Theres some dark flare spammers here and there, and that one EP guy who only beams from stealth. This is a result of it being so damn good and everything else paleing in comparison though.

People calling out facts is not "hate". And it's just about the same response that you would get if you would go on any other class' thread and talk about stuff you don't know as well as your own class.
    Don't get so defensive.

As for your comment on ppl hammering BoL - you should look to your own faction to see there are a couple of really good Templars who aren't just hammering Dark Deal BoL. ;)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    At what point is templar good enough? When 50% of Cyrodiil or more is playing a heavy armour magplar?

We're getting there, slowly.

This Templar painfully switched to light armor.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I 1vX and small scale on my magplar. I don't BOL spam, so its nice to meet you, @FENGRUSH

Was refering to healing in general and why so many are walking around in heavy popping a skill that you can hammer without cost getting carried by CP etc. Feel free to grab any single quotes in response to anything and make more smartass replies though. With respect to your post about ults - youre literally in the same category as I am. You want more burst from nova? I want more burst from... ??? I dont have stam damages ults. I have to use dawnbreaker. You may have to use meteor. If they make a small change, it should probably be to spear. Nova will essentially be another version of meteor of destro ult that isnt as good at this point. You have options there, honestly - you didnt always used to though (I used to have none).
    Lore_lai wrote: »
    Its pretty ridiculous the amount of hatred you can get coming into a templar thread.

I dont know anybody who is playing the class now that is not hammering BOL. Theres some dark flare spammers here and there, and that one EP guy who only beams from stealth. This is a result of it being so damn good and everything else paleing in comparison though.

People calling out facts is not "hate". And it's just about the same response that you would get if you would go on any other class' thread and talk about stuff you don't know as well as your own class.
    Don't get so defensive.

As for your comment on ppl hammering BoL - you should look to your own faction to see there are a couple of really good Templars who aren't just hammering Dark Deal BoL. ;)

Calling out the facts is not hate? Youre replying to something I said to someone else where he literally said nothing in this thread but I was a hypocrite.

Youre calling me a hypocrite as well for complaining about bad players using reactive. But you said they were zerglings though - even though, they were actually players, using reactive, that werent really any good until the game balance allowed them to throw that on and still have a CP and equip system that allowed them to perform with even more sustain.

I guess this kind of attitude is what you should expect from AD players you beat up on.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Was refering to healing in general and why so many are walking around in heavy popping a skill that you can hammer without cost getting carried by CP etc. Feel free to grab any single quotes in response to anything and make more smartass replies though. With respect to your post about ults - youre literally in the same category as I am. You want more burst from nova? I want more burst from... ??? I dont have stam damages ults. I have to use dawnbreaker. You may have to use meteor. If they make a small change, it should probably be to spear. Nova will essentially be another version of meteor of destro ult that isnt as good at this point. You have options there, honestly - you didnt always used to though (I used to have none).

Don't get so defensive.

Calling out the facts is not hate? Youre replying to something I said to someone else where he literally said nothing in this thread but I was a hypocrite.

Youre calling me a hypocrite as well for complaining about bad players using reactive. But you said they were zerglings though - even though, they were actually players, using reactive, that werent really any good until the game balance allowed them to throw that on and still have a CP and equip system that allowed them to perform with even more sustain.

I guess this kind of attitude is what you should expect from AD players you beat up on.

1. BoL cost 3k magicka on a build with significant cost reduction. Again, heavy armor and certain sets (desert rose, lich, black rose) are your issue, not the skill. I'd be happy to make BoL a self heal that gives me 6-8k magic back upon cast like dark deal.
    2. Meteor is terrible without an unblockable cc (please bring up luminous so I can point out how worthless a disorient is for the 300th time), so I'm stuck running dawnbreaker of smiting unless I want to use the destro ulti cheese.
    3. I countered a point that you have harped on for a very long time. Not all templars are BoL spammers just like not all stam users abuse the hell out of proc sets. If that makes me a smartass, then so be it. That's better than being ignorant.
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Don't get so defensive.

1. BoL cost 3k magicka on a build with significant cost reduction. Again, heavy armor and certain sets (desert rose, lich, black rose) are your issue, not the skill. I'd be happy to make BoL a self heal that gives me 6-8k magic back upon cast like dark deal.
    2. Meteor is terrible without an unblockable cc (please bring up luminous so I can point out how worthless a disorient is for the 300th time), so I'm stuck running dawnbreaker of smiting unless I want to use the destro ulti cheese.
    3. I countered a point that you have harped on for a very long time. Not all templars are BoL spammers just like not all stam users abuse the hell out of proc sets. If that makes me a smartass, then so be it. That's better than being ignorant.

Im not saying every single templar is a BOL spammer. Im saying why they are driven to it and how simplified it is. Ultimately, I dont like healing, and as you said in your first point, its not really a BoL problem - its a problem with equipment + CP. In no CP for example, those heal debuffs actually matter a lot. Without the heavy, sustain will take a hit. Even on non-CP, you can spam BOL hard without running out as well though. Ive advocated for more variety in healing, not what it is. Its really a seperate issue, but Ive become the forefront of healer hatred. When you fight groups larger then yours, the above issues compound into a ridiculous state.

I agree with the shards change being dumb. I use shards too, I also use vamp drain, but you shouldnt have to be a vamp for it. It just so happens vamp works very well with them though!

Ive seen templars 1vX, Im not saying they cant, it is more difficult for them though than other alternatives. Blab had done it plenty, Ive played with others who have. If youre in a small group though on templar, and go offensive with some mix of beam/jabs/jav you will have BOL around and can fill in as a healer. In that case, you have good damage, and well timed BOLs should have high impact. The issue I have is templars that dont invest in that damage really and heal very well without running out of sustain in heavy armor. This is an armor + CP issue. This shines brightest in non-CP campaigns. Reverb actually does something. Its nothing more than a disable on CP campaign.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Don't get so defensive.

Im not saying every single templar is a BOL spammer. Im saying why they are driven to it and how simplified it is. Ultimately, I dont like healing, and as you said in your first point, its not really a BoL problem - its a problem with equipment + CP. In no CP for example, those heal debuffs actually matter a lot. Without the heavy, sustain will take a hit. Even on non-CP, you can spam BOL hard without running out as well though. Ive advocated for more variety in healing, not what it is. Its really a seperate issue, but Ive become the forefront of healer hatred. When you fight groups larger then yours, the above issues compound into a ridiculous state.

I agree with the shards change being dumb. I use shards too, I also use vamp drain, but you shouldnt have to be a vamp for it. It just so happens vamp works very well with them though!

Ive seen templars 1vX, Im not saying they cant, it is more difficult for them though than other alternatives. Blab had done it plenty, Ive played with others who have. If youre in a small group though on templar, and go offensive with some mix of beam/jabs/jav you will have BOL around and can fill in as a healer. In that case, you have good damage, and well timed BOLs should have high impact. The issue I have is templars that dont invest in that damage really and heal very well without running out of sustain in heavy armor. This is an armor + CP issue. This shines brightest in non-CP campaigns. Reverb actually does something. Its nothing more than a disable on CP campaign.

Everything you are saying has everything to do with itemization/cp and nothing to do with Templar skills. BoL is not spammable unless you are geared the spam it.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You stopped making sense.
    I was trying to have a conversation with you and you haven't even addressed the points I made (like the discussion about ultis).
    Please leave you testosterone at the door.
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you know what - you say "beat up on" ?
    You don't beat up on no-one.
    That one time in Azura when our small groups were the only AD/DC at Chal gate against the red zerg, and you guys were acting friendly - yeah, I actually said - wow Feng is a cool guy.
    But then the next day when you had more # than us, you zerged us down. Then again you zerged us with Emp.
    You lead the charge and it's a very nice view for your streamers, but sometimes you mistakenly turn around and there's the DC pug zerg at your back.
    Don't kid yourself.

Then we held against you and your EMP grp and wiped some of you - this was 1m away from Bleakers that was Blue and you guys kept coming back. You guys had infini repawn and you had emp and we still wiped some of u including one of your healers that you couldn't protect. So much for min-max healer Templar being OP. This is while *you* were outnumbering *us* with you having EMP.
    Such a shame you weren't streaming at the time. Maybe you were too busy stream sniping us while we were trying to find some small-scale and you came in all hot-shot with your emp group just to kill Mojican cos he called you out.

The funny thing is Feng - I wouldn't zerg you down if I would find you by yourself. Because what would be the fun in that? And it would be ***. Contrary to what you believe - some of us don't "hate" you.
    Hate is a very powerful word/feeling. Please don't toss that around like that.
    We might dislike some of the stuff you say/do, and like some other, and sympathize with you. That's all there is - don't take it too personal.
    Hating someone takes way too much energy and if you're going to use that energy to hate someone in a video game then...well...no comment.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jonno wrote: »
    Radiant was nerfed because it was overperforming in both PVP + PVE by a long way, Blazing Spear was buffed for PVE and the stun needed for PVP can be gotten from the other morph

it needed nothing.

wasn't broken.
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    Nerf Radiant for the 3rd time and it remains the best execute in the game except now the damage above 50% makes the one button pushers left with a little more to do for their AP.

Anyone complaining about nerfed Templars should slot volcanic rune instead and pop those b****** up into the air for your Stamblade mate to ambush Incap while they're mid air it looks delightful.

I love my Magplar, may have been nerfed in places but other buffs such as the disgusting sustain from Radiant Auras new Minor Magicka Steal leaves Templars in a great place still just some minor play style adjustments.

If you're complaining about not being able to 1vsX you need to wake up because 1vsX on Magplar hasnt been viable since they nerfed Proxy Det (God I miss those days of Bat Swarm proxy flare toppling so much)

In fact 1vsX on any Magicka Character is virtually unheard of now Cyrodiil is all about numbers since the introduction of Proc Sets. It can be done but only by the very best and with a need to constantly utilise line of sight immovable potions and careful resource management.

The Blazing Spear nerf is a pain yes but it brings the skill in line with other aoe based class attacks removing the CC and as I mentioned if its the CC you want Volcanic Rune could be your friend.

Long Live Magplars but please nerf Blazing ShieldPlars they are dull as dishwater.

CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    Jonno wrote: »
    Radiant was nerfed because it was overperforming in both PVP + PVE by a long way, Blazing Spear was buffed for PVE and the stun needed for PVP can be gotten from the other morph

it needed nothing.

wasn't broken.

70k pve ticks were balanced was they?

I see.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf Radiant for the 3rd time and it remains the best execute in the game except now the damage above 50% makes the one button pushers left with a little more to do for their AP.

Anyone complaining about nerfed Templars should slot volcanic rune instead and pop those b****** up into the air for your Stamblade mate to ambush Incap while they're mid air it looks delightful.

I love my Magplar, may have been nerfed in places but other buffs such as the disgusting sustain from Radiant Auras new Minor Magicka Steal leaves Templars in a great place still just some minor play style adjustments.

If you're complaining about not being able to 1vsX you need to wake up because 1vsX on Magplar hasnt been viable since they nerfed Proxy Det (God I miss those days of Bat Swarm proxy flare toppling so much)

In fact 1vsX on any Magicka Character is virtually unheard of now Cyrodiil is all about numbers since the introduction of Proc Sets. It can be done but only by the very best and with a need to constantly utilise line of sight immovable potions and careful resource management.

The Blazing Spear nerf is a pain yes but it brings the skill in line with other aoe based class attacks removing the CC and as I mentioned if its the CC you want Volcanic Rune could be your friend.

Long Live Magplars but please nerf Blazing ShieldPlars they are dull as dishwater.

1. Volcanic rune is trash. I've used it. It's a terrible replacement. Zos made blazing spear the equivalent of liquid lightning (which is terrible in pvp).
    2. 1vXing is still possible, but not everyone can do it. I still 1vX on my magplar, so maybe just git gud before coming in here spewing ignorance.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things moving forward for templars this patch
    • I've used Empowering Sweep a lot since the patch dropped. I won't say it's trash, but it is *not* worthy of being called an "ultimate."
    • The other two ultimates (Nova and Remembrance) are strictly for group play. If you solo a templar, you're going outside the class for a decent ultimate, which I think is poor design.
    • Luminous Shards CC will not "fix" the templar CC problem. Blazing Spear is too good of a DPS skill to ignore and all of us that PvE have to take it. I dislike how the Devs and the PvP community assume we all want to spend 3K gold respec cost every time we want to PvP.
    • The backlash change was a good one. So was Radiant Aura.
    crusnik91 wrote: »
    Baphomet wrote: »
    Alright, so magicka templars have never been in the top of the food chain to begin with, which is why it baffles me that you decided to nerf them.

Two of the good abilities that magicka templar had was radiant oppression and blazing spear.

Radiant you decided to nerf for the fifth time. Or was it for the sixth time now? It was in a very good state before and one of the only reliable counter to all the dodge-rolling (which there is way, way too much of nowadays). It wasn't too powerful before, so the damage decrease was completely unwarranted. Why did you change it @ZoS?

Blazing spear was one of the few anti-zerg mechanics in the game, but with the removal of its stun, it is now utter garbage in that regard. And luminous shards doesn't fill the gap properly, so that's not really an excuse. Why change something that was working well, @ZoS?

Basicly you've taken two of the only a handful of good templar abilities and screwed them over - without giving them anything properly good in return. Why @ZoS?

Curious minds want to know - thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7e7gQ-MEw
    There u go! The solution for your problems! :)
    I don't agree with the shard changes but sometimes adapting is the way to go

Nice guide! But I'm biased since I run the same build :smiley: Though I use Thief Mundas and an extra recovery Glyph.

Great minds think alike!
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dislike how the Devs and the PvP community assume we all want to spend 3K gold respec cost every time we want to PvP.

This is an important point and why some people don't bother with PvP.

I personally respec morphs and CP every time I go from PvE to PvP or vice versa.
    Edited by timidobserver on February 21, 2017 3:51PM

• technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike how the Devs and the PvP community assume we all want to spend 3K gold respec cost every time we want to PvP.

I personally respec morphs and CP every time I go from PvE to PvP or vice versa.

A dual spec feature would be nice. Maybe a suscriber perk?
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »

A dual spec feature would be nice. Maybe a suscriber perk?

Yeh, that would work.

Other solutions:
    1. 1-2 free morph and CP respecs per day.
    2. Gain free respecs for PvE and PvP leaderboard scores.
    3. Allow for respec to stats, CP, and skills to be paid for with AP for people above Alliance Rank 30-35.

• Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baphomet wrote: »
    Alright, so magicka templars have never been in the top of the food chain to begin with, which is why it baffles me that you decided to nerf them.

Two of the good abilities that magicka templar had was radiant oppression and blazing spear.

Radiant you decided to nerf for the fifth time. Or was it for the sixth time now? It was in a very good state before and one of the only reliable counter to all the dodge-rolling (which there is way, way too much of nowadays). It wasn't too powerful before, so the damage decrease was completely unwarranted. Why did you change it @ZoS?

Blazing spear was one of the few anti-zerg mechanics in the game, but with the removal of its stun, it is now utter garbage in that regard. And luminous shards doesn't fill the gap properly, so that's not really an excuse. Why change something that was working well, @ZoS?

Basicly you've taken two of the only a handful of good templar abilities and screwed them over - without giving them anything properly good in return. Why @ZoS?

Curious minds want to know - thanks.

LOLOLLOLOLOLOL
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Empowering sweep is actually really good lol I remember popping that & just jabbing away. Works really well if you build towards it
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Empowering sweep is actually really good lol I remember popping that & just jabbing away. Works really well if you build towards it

I've rand a nord using it, as well as restoring aura. It's great when you hit a lot of targets but you really have to throw yourself tight into a pretty nasty situation to get there and its gone in a few seconds. Fine pulling trash mobs, but I find in PvP you are just going to have it wear off and be in trouble before you really have done anything.

I'd almost say they could increase the cost and then increase the duration and radius.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We're not supposed to talk about stuff we remember in this thread anymore.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've rand a nord using it, as well as restoring aura. It's great when you hit a lot of targets but you really have to throw yourself tight into a pretty nasty situation to get there and its gone in a few seconds. Fine pulling trash mobs, but I find in PvP you are just going to have it wear off and be in trouble before you really have done anything.

I'd almost say they could increase the cost and then increase the duration and radius.

I used it as a secondary ult, it goes well with the "stand your ground " playstyle lol shines in tight spots

I feel you should run a offensive ult and defensive one & it's not a bad ult in sticky situations but I do feel they could raise the time
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I used it as a secondary ult, it goes well with the "stand your ground " playstyle lol shines in tight spots

I feel you should run a offensive ult and defensive one & it's not a bad ult in sticky situations but I do feel they could raise the time

I've tried it out on my back bar, but prefer bats for those situations.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah that's my most recent setup, it all depends on what build I'm running. Just was saying its a good ult & cost little, sometimes you don't have enough time to get an ult that's 150 or 200, for 75 ult it's good for what it does.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah that's my most recent setup, it all depends on what build I'm running. Just was saying its a good ult & cost little, sometimes you don't have enough time to get an ult that's 150 or 200, for 75 ult it's good for what it does.

True. I've messed around with the sword and board ulti a little bit. It's very strong as well, but I prefer my ultis to provide at least a little damage. The free reflect is nice though.
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I got hit with a 10.6k tick from radiant yesterday. Was wearing 5 heavy, all impen (the 2 others pieces didn't have any impen).

It was needed - and its still strong.

10.6k tick? Try putting CP in resistance.
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iseko wrote: »
    As has been said many times radiant needed a range nerf. Even with 21% dmg reduction it is still a death sentence if you are at 20-30% health. People are stil spamming it at full health from 40m away.

Luminous shards still stuns through block.

Templars are still good.

You mean luminous shards gives the enemy free cc immunity.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got to PVP tonight for the first time since the Radiant nerf. I'm happy to report that it made zero difference. I put a ton into pumping up my magic (almost 48k) so my "21% reduced" tool tip value is still well north of 13k unbuffed.

Pretty sure if I hit you with my rotation at the right time 25k+ PVP death recap damage reports will still be common.

Nothing to see here ... move along.

Side Note: All that magic is in 7 pieces of heavy armor, leaving me above 32k in both resistances. #balancebutnotreally
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because 90% of magplars could actually use this as their controller.
    Original_Controller__34879.1415631514.500.500.jpg?c=2
    Either jabs and beam or BOL and beam.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because 90% of magplars could actually use this as their controller.
    Original_Controller__34879.1415631514.500.500.jpg?c=2
    Either jabs and beam or BOL and beam.

We still can. Seriously this nerf did nothing but help me.

- The damage is so low above 50% now that if I even cast one on accident I block cancel it immediately. It just works as re-enforcement of good habits.
    - I noticed a huge lack of beams last night. I'm thinking that the nerf scared off a lot of people. I would love to be the last beaming Magplar left.
    - Since I knew this was coming I spent a month trying to find out if I more enjoyed other flavors of Magplar. I didn't. So I went into the theory crafting vault and came out with a souped up insano version of my OG build from a year ago. Trust me on this ... if you can get your Magplar up to insano magic levels (I'm just under 48k) you can still fry anything. It's just an added benefit that I can still have 27k health and 32k in each resistance.

DPShealertank activated!