The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

stealing and assassinations have gotten absurdly out of hand

Daran_Cousland
Daran_Cousland
✭✭✭
There is no challenge for the huge rewards they rake in for doing this.

But there could be...let us kill the players that have bounties.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does need this. It's old news as come up before but I concur.
    Right after DB dropped you would see mass murdered villages everywhere
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    It does need this. It's old news as come up before but I concur.
    Right after DB dropped you would see mass murdered villages everywhere

When the Justice System itself was first released it was like the wild west everywhere I went for a good portion of that day haha. Glorious
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been discussed into the ground. Its not happening and I am glad for it. There is already risk built into it - its called a bounty if you are caught.
  • AshTal
    AshTal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something needs to be done, can't walk 10 feet in a city without walking over a dozen corpses

Then again given the price of housing and furniture need some way to make a million gold.
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshTal wrote: »
    Something needs to be done, can't walk 10 feet in a city without walking over a dozen corpses

Then again given the price of housing and furniture need some way to make a million gold.

Nothing needs to be done. Just walk over the corpses.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As one of the dirty, dirty thieves... yep, I wouldn't protest to this, provided it was implemented correctly. There's a lot of potential for griefing (For example, camping refuge entrances would not be hard, and would pretty much break the system).

I have to agree. These assassins are clearly out of hand. They keep killing all my good pickpocket targets! ;)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshTal wrote: »

Nothing needs to be done. Just walk over the corpses.

Gotta admit, it's pretty funny to see an NPC standing over a pile of his clone's corpses.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Rene_Valionus
    Rene_Valionus
    ✭✭✭
    They could perhaps make the NPC' more aware, in a way that if you sneak and any NPC in the vicinity sees you, you gain their undivided attention until you move away.
  • heyjrey
    heyjrey
    ✭✭✭
    hey, when you have a reason to murder a citizen of tamriel, you just gotta do it sometimes. like when you're trying to find house items that you can actually place in your home, but you don't want to get a bounty for being witnessed so you "take care" of business...only to find out that they had nothing on them or in their house so you feel guilty and try the next home.

but hey, at least they respawn :)
    EP Home Faction CP: 800+
    Vivec/Trueflame/Kaalgrontiid: Home Campaign
    Delia Moreau - Khajiit | Stamblade | PvE
    Sloppy Thirds* - Bosmer | Stamblade | PvP
    Tazia Mouse-Chaser - Khajiit | Stamblade | PvE
    Waterfalls - Altmer | Magsorc | PvP
    Datwun Puffs Tuff - Argonian | Magplar | PvP Healer
    Rotting Thot - Altmer | Magnecro | PvE Healer
    Count ßlockula - Argonian | StamDK | PvE Tank
    Jim Geezus Beam - Argonian | Magplar | PvE Healer

Red Nirn Reserve, Diswun's Wares, Welkynd, SOB (rip)

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to have to disagree as I think the risks involved merit the rewards. Having a bounty on your head in this game is punishing enough. It makes regular activities in town a real chore. Guards are immortal. In other words: there is sufficient penalty for getting caught stealing or being an assassin. If they made it any worse - it would likely make such play styles untenable.

The bigger problem regarding the Justice System is this game encourages players to become criminals because the legal means for making gold or acquiring items revolves around a guild-based economic system - which is difficult for many players (especially casuals) to rely on.
    Edited by Jeremy on February 13, 2017 5:53PM
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already been discussed alot. Doubtful it will happen, and that's a good thing imo.

Honestly though, why does it matter?
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The corpses should be made to disappear before the NPC respawns. This is the only problem I have with this.
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny for a game that glorifies and encourages stealing and killing, I don't see them ever implementing a FORCED way to stop such activity. Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of players DO NOT WANT forced PvP in PvE content.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only because of housing. Stealing (and killing people to loot their corpse) is one of the best ways to find both furniture blueprints and certain furnishings. It also gets quite a bit of gold, especially if you're a casual/low level player and not up to farming or part of a trading guild.

It will die down once this update has been around for a while and everyone's stopped seeing it as the newest 'must have' thing.

(Although saying that I estimate I've got another 2 months to go before I can afford my house.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Daran_Cousland
    Daran_Cousland
    ✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Funny for a game that glorifies and encourages stealing and killing, I don't see them ever implementing a FORCED way to stop such activity. Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of players DO NOT WANT forced PvP in PvE content.

who said anything about forcing them to stop? what you want is freedom from consequence.

better luck with your next straw man...
    Edited by Daran_Cousland on February 16, 2017 6:38PM
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AdamBourke wrote: »
    The corpses should be made to disappear before the NPC respawns. This is the only problem I have with this.

The first person my assassin killed was an NPC she thought was weeping over the dead body of a loved one. Turned out it was the NPC's own dead body and she was just weeding around it.
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad idea. The worst thing you would want to do is forcing PvP on players.
    Edited by hmsdragonfly on February 16, 2017 6:40PM
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
  • Daran_Cousland
    Daran_Cousland
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I am going to have to disagree as I think the risks involved merit the rewards. Having a bounty on your head in this game is punishing enough. It makes regular activities in town a real chore. Guards are immortal. In other words: there is sufficient penalty for getting caught stealing or being an assassin. If they made it any worse - it would likely make such play styles untenable.

when I get a bounty I wait it out or I pay it or I use one of the counterfeit bounty waiving things I have a stack of. or I can just log out and play with another character for awhile. nothing difficult about it.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

who said anything about forcing them to stop? what you want is freedom from consequence.

All it need is if YOU or others witness the crime at the time then you can go after them for thr bounty and have like 30s to initiate "justice" not sure if killing an apple thief is warranted in the west (see what I did there) but that'd be fun. Or make it so if they go to the stage of being killed on site and you witnessed it then fair game.

As for hunting people with 100k bounties. ..probably cause a lot of salt and cheating / boosting etc.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have some simple wishes for a "lawkeeper" update:
    - Improve citizen AI that they become very cautious around sneaking people, especially if their weapon is drawn or their has been other player murders in the city within x period of time. Make it more difficult :p
    - Allow criminal players to be hunted after being spotted by the guards. Not in-combat with the guards, can't attack. Vigilantism or some such reason to not allow this. Can't camp refuge entrances against anyone other than someone bee-lining for it with a guard following.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, ZOS failed utterly to implement both TG and DB sensibly because they reneged on their plan for the Justice system which was supposed to allow players to kill criminals .. and the guards are largely pathetic and useless.

Especially with the release of DB, ZOS should have implemented the PVP part of Justice.
    Edited by KerinKor on February 16, 2017 6:46PM
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digital corpses EVERYWHERE! When will the madness stop! :D
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ok so this again? And with attitude - oh joy.

So look, my vampire character takes offense at seeing her kinfolk slaughtered but i cant attack the PCs doing so... they kill them and suffer no consequences - and no need to sneak cuz not even bounty. that happens in PVE every day again and again and again and again and again and again... no consequences.

And sometimes they even respawn before the bodies are faded.

Same for when my AD character sees others killing AD soldiers who have landed on a beach somewhere...

Same for when i see PCs slaughtering my kinfolk who are there **with the permission of the locals government** and those so-called "heroes" are working with some monstrous hagraven fiend. This happens day in and day out with no consequences - not even bounty.

Its called PVE. Look it up.

meanwhile in PVP land - there are no risks outside of a certain telvar thing. Die and no armor loss.

At least in those PVE side of things you suffer armor lose for death and for combat.

no consequences there.

EXCEPT FOR the new furniture additions and their new stuff factor, the profit from "time doing injustice" pales by comparison to many other casual content - you can make a lot more gains from running up and down the beach killing mudcrabs than by killing the folks on the beach or stealing their stuff in a given period of time.

And delving is even more profitable - esp the dweomer ones with all those pots and urns for motifs and patterns.

Summary:
    • Don't like seeing ABC actions by others? happens all over the game for many different types of likes/dislikes. its an MMO PVE zone - get over it. Your dislike does not mean you get to attack anyone.
    • No Consequences - BS - compared to other casual PVE content it has bounty which is more consequence than the others have - or it takes time to sneak - which is a bigger consequence than bounty.
    • So profitable - nah, not compared to some of the alternatives casual repeatable content in PVE but the recent surge is likely from the new cool stuff and possible exclusivity of drops.

lastly, it was considered and rejected by the designers and wont be happening.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    A simple approach!

Make stealing less profitable and
    put more severe punishments on killing innocent NPC's.

Murder should make a player character a permanent outlaw
    unless a huge bribe to guards is being paid.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chirru wrote: »
    A simple approach!

Make stealing less profitable and
    put more severe punishments on killing innocent NPC's.

Murder should make a player character a permanent outlaw
    unless a huge bribe to guards is being paid.

So several DLCs of content just turned into "slip up and permanent outlaw" or "go bankrupt"??

the first thing some folks need to realize is that stealing and killing is an acceptable part of the gameplay in this MMO and there are two DLC and a full built sub-system to prove that was intentional and taking that system's casual content and making it lifelong punishments is out of sync with the rest of the content in the game by a long long long stretch.

When you choose to save the docks and not the fort, you don't get banned from the fort for life and hunted by their next of kin.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Stania
    Stania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree. These assassins are clearly out of hand. They keep killing all my good pickpocket targets! ;)

Sometimes, as an another filthy thief, having an DB genocidal around has been beneficial to me. There's times where I got my eye on a nice safebox, and after some minutes of hiding in the corner and studying that couple of npcs and a guard's routine I realized that they just won't leave it alone! I could kill them, but that's dangerous and bad for business. And then, someone in shrouded armor approaches, gives some nice stabs in my obstacle's backs and goes away being chased by the guard.

"Thank Sithis!" I scream in the corners of my mind.
    Edited by Stania on February 17, 2017 3:34PM
    PC NA server
    ¡Hablo español!
    |vet trial #1|vet trial #2|vet trial #3 HM|Another vet trial|a hard-to-get achievement|
    My characters:
    <List of characters that no one cares to know with their classes and roles>

"Inspirational quote"
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been discussed into the ground. Its not happening and I am glad for it. There is already risk built into it - its called a bounty if you are caught.

You do realize there is no threat when you can just run, not even sprint and get away from the guards right....
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Every time something like this comes up and one of the proponents mention "consequence", what they really mean is the ability to gank, teabag, and arbitrarily deny other people access to content.

EVERY. TIME.

I am not, nor will I ever be in favor of any form of open world PvP content beyond Cyrodiil. Even duels are too much. :angry:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let the bodies hit the floor, let the bodies hit the floor...

serves all those foolish npc's right for carrying around such nice stuff...who wants to pickpocket everyone three times when the blade of woe can quietly dispatch them all so nicely in one smooth move...

all in the name of sithis and padomay of course...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way that most of the community would not puke all over this idea is to make it optional to opt in. Then, since no one would opt in, what would be the point?

ZOS has better things to work on than a system that few want, and most will not activate.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"