The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Backlash is stupid

• Ellwin
    Ellwin
    ✭✭
    seems like its meant to be a counter to tanks. we run it in pvp and feel it was a good buff to the skill
    Dracarys

Ellwin AD nightblade (DIE)
    Ellwín EP Sorc
    Ellwîn EP Templar
    Ellwìn EP Nightblade
    Ellwïn EP Dragonknight

WKB's Winner of Quakcon
    Worlds First HM Hell Ra Clear
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main annoying tanks i run into are the 30k healbots.

Which makes this skill useless vs them.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish that there was 6 seconds to figure out how to react to proc builds.

You know that you can combo Backlash with proc sets, right?
    mvffins wrote: »

Should the class with the highest healing output, the best group heal, and the cheapest purge have high damage, though? If we gave stam NB a Breath of Life or Major Mending then that would be obviously broken, but we're cool with giving Templar a harder-hitting Curse?

NB can heal a good amount with the right builds, its probably second in healing only to the templars. And no, Templar backlash is significantly less powerful than curse so it would be a low-hitting curse.

Its purgeable, it requires them to build up a lot of damage with other skills, the skill they usually would spam to build it up has recently been nerfed.....

I've never encountered a sorc that can hit 9k or 13k Curses, but people have posted both a 9k and a 13k Power of the Light in this thread alone.

On it being purgeable-you're correct, but the only purge that's cheap enough to be used frequently (like every six seconds) would be Templar's Purifying Ritual. So the best counter to Templar is to play Templar? Doesn't seem right.

I'll one shot your Templar before he even knows I'm there... How's that for counter-play?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Which makes dark flare a better option, if your Magicka. All you'll need to worry about are dodge rollers.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    So the best counter to Templar is to play Templar? Doesn't seem right.

*cough* Cloak -> Mark Target *cough*

Right is not in Wrobel's vocabulary.

This is true if you forget about abilities such as Hurricane, Jabs, and Volatile Armor.

Thankfully for Stamblades like me, I rarely encounter them since they're so underpowered; so I just keep a detection potion on my quick slot wheel for those rare occurrences. The difference between nightblades, and other classes is that we actually have to slot an ability in order to deal with cloak (or use a potion); whereas other classes can merely just buff or attack like they normally would.

Nb can aoe with class or weapon skills like everyone else that deals with cloak... And it uses a skill slot, just like everyone else!!!!
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Which makes dark flare a better option, if your Magicka. All you'll need to worry about are dodge rollers.

Dark flare is terrible open world. Unless your a pro Xv1 who spams it at the back of zergs.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dark flare is terrible open world. Unless your a pro Xv1 who spams it at the back of zergs.

Some of us consider "poking" with an imaginary light spear unskilled play too.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 1vXing with an imaginary light spear usually takes more skill than Xv1ing spamming dark flare, but what do I know. B)
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I understand what you mean using Dark Flare 1v1. But it isn't just useful in an Xv1. It can also shine in XvX, even small group play.

I've actually been switching between Dark Flare, Purifying Light, and even Total Dark this patch. Each can shine in different battles. Sorta depends on who is in my group at the time. But when solo, I tend to stick with Purifying Light more.

Anyways....I'm getting a bit off topic. But it feels weird that I actually have more viable spells than skill slots as a Templar.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Boozdog wrote: »
    Pro tip: you can roll dodge the damge from it at the end of the 6 seconds

That is interesting.... and kinda dumb... xD

Also just stack stamina up to 60k and yo good to go :trollface:

I want to slot Backlash on my Werewolf now... :smiley:

Trololo
    Edited by Juhasow on February 16, 2017 1:36AM
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cant wait im going to backlash so hard tonight
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 1vXing with an imaginary light spear usually takes more skill than Xv1ing spamming dark flare, but what do I know. B)

Well it's mostly an argument on what "unskilled" means. They are both hard hitting spells that are boring, due to pressing one button. But at least DF has counters and limitations, and it's design is intended to be an "opener" not a spamable.

People aren't wrong with DF being spammed in zergs. But jabs isn't far behind...

Regardless, depending on situation, I can swap out DF for purifying light. They both have benefits for use, especially for a destro Templar.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid question, but is this skill supposed to store all damage, including damage that isnt your own?

Ive been eating unblockable 10k purifying light hits from templar heal bots (in other words, they dont actually deal damage themselves) while Im getting 10v1'd. If that's intended they should consider changing that because it's one hell of a Xv1 tool.
    Edited by Valencer on February 18, 2017 2:15PM
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    Stupid question, but is this skill supposed to store all damage, including damage that isnt your own?

Ive been eating unblockable 10k purifying light hits from templar heal bots (in other words, they dont actually deal damage themselves) while Im getting 10v1'd. If that's intended they should consider changing that because it's one hell of a Xv1 tool.

yep, that light ist pretty dangerous in 1vx, i think thats fine so, but the lights shouldnt stack from multiply templars on you
    Edited by BuggeX on February 18, 2017 2:56PM
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
  • Sizaansil
    Sizaansil
    ✭✭✭

If a 10k unblockable DaT can't be used to kill them then there's not much you can do against them anyway :/
    Valencer wrote: »

Yes it is working as intended which makes it a really good skill for Xv1-ing. Just have a healbot running that and it will even heals his/her allies.
    Edited by Sizaansil on February 18, 2017 4:24PM
    Anne Lucerne - Factionless Templar - PC EU Server

"[Let us] now take you Up. We will [show] our true faces... [which eat] one another in amnesia each Age" - The Song of Pelinal, Vol. 8
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sizaansil wrote: »
    That's what I'm talking about :

zPT3ujr.png

Because yes "Backlash: This ability and its morphs now deal moderate damage when they are initially applied to the enemy. This damage does not contribute to the copied damage delivered at the end of the ability’s duration" is not working either :|

Lol this is interesting. I'll have to play around with this, but it doesn't look like a major issue if you have to spam backlash to make it work.

This has been like this forever actually. I think maybe it was Alcast who brought it to the forums like 8 months ago. Guess it still works.

Honestly, with having to invest 12-18 seconds in order to guarantee a 10k hit, all the while a simple purge would negate it all, I don't think it's a big problem for most situations.

If there was no cap on the other hand...