The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confessions of a Dunmer Hater

• rosalith
    rosalith
    ✭✭✭
    rosalith wrote: »
    Great House Dunmer are good for nothing but target practise, simple as.

But seriously, I do find it fascinating and very disturbing, that theres hordes of people here and in-game who worship and idolize dunmer culture. Mostly, sad racists who've found an acceptable way to express their racism.

And it's all totally fine by Zeni. You can literally argue pro-slavery right here in the forums and its just... allowed? It will never not be weird to me.

So would said racists be dark skinned? Because I highly doubt the stereotypical real life racist would choose the DARK elves as their favoured race...

Honestly I find posts like yours more disturbing, assuming racism where it doesnt exist. Instead of considering the fact Dunmer have tons of great lore, you assume real life racist intent, I get it's 2019 and that is the trend, but still...

I make fun of those filthy argonians all the time, that doesnt imply at all that I am a real life racist. In truth I am in fact in a long term relationship with a dark skinned indigenous Filipina, whom soon I will marry and spend my life with. I abhore real life racism, be it against *any* race.

Ah yes, the first thing I think when I see someone who spends all their free time cosplaying as 18 different kinds of race supremacist slaver and posting on internet forums about how slavery is good actually, is 'not racist'.

Sarcasm, obviously. Its clear as day to anyone with half a brain.
    "The only way to change a slaver's mind is to drive a sword through it!" - Hiath the Battlemaster
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    TheFM wrote: »
    Cirantille wrote: »
    Seems like people have forgotten how Snow Elves been butchered and forced to live through the cruelty of turning into Falmer.

That was the Dwemer, who were mer...

No, that was the nords that did that.

No, the Dwemer were responsible for twisting them into their goblin-eque evil forms through enslavement and torture.
    Many of the ancient Snow Elves were betrayed in a deal for asylum they struck with the Dwemer. The Dwemer forced their wards to subsist only on toxic fungi which twisted them into sightless slaves.

You are mixing reasons and consequences. It is Nords who drove Snow elves underground to Dwemers. But Snow elves tried to wipe Nords as well... so this has nothing to do with race, just fight for power. Basically this very thread is very racist, because considering that one race/nations demonstrates the same behavior/attitude no matter of individual person character, this is exactly what racism is.
  • SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    gepe87 wrote: »
    Seems like people have forgotten how Snow Elves been butchered and forced to live through the cruelty of turning into Falmer.

Seems like people also have forgotten how a so-called man-god forced his way into Summerset with a machine and butchered people living on their own and not wanting to be a part of his power-hungry empire.

Also consider the fact that they were forced to worship and revere the guy who butchered their people.

Jeesus, talk about cruelty on mer kind.

Talos the "9th God". I always see Tiber as evil, forcing other races to his will.
    Altmer have arguments against Man but failed on keeping some ethic values.

Tiber evil? He stopped Cyrodiil being a total lag fest when he became Talos by turning Cyrodiil from a vast jungle to pleasant meadows. Can you imagine the fps drops and lag if we were fighting in a jungle with all those shadows and effects to render?

Yeah yeah i know, implying Cyrodiil is not laggy, but just think how much worse it could of been. He is a hero!

How? He hasn't even been born yet...
    Edited by SpiderKnight on December 5, 2019 4:55PM
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    being dunmer while hating dunmer?
    I aint no shrink but that does sounds like issues to me
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But seriously, I do find it fascinating and very disturbing, that theres hordes of people here and in-game who worship and idolize dunmer culture. Mostly, sad racists who've found an acceptable way to express their racism.

And it's all totally fine by Zeni. You can literally argue pro-slavery right here in the forums and its just... allowed? It will never not be weird to me.

So would said racists be dark skinned? Because I highly doubt the stereotypical real life racist would choose the DARK elves as their favoured race...

Honestly I find posts like yours more disturbing, assuming racism where it doesnt exist. Instead of considering the fact Dunmer have tons of great lore, you assume real life racist intent, I get it's 2019 and that is the trend, but still...

I make fun of those filthy argonians all the time, that doesnt imply at all that I am a real life racist. In truth I am in fact in a long term relationship with a dark skinned indigenous Filipina, whom soon I will marry and spend my life with. I abhore real life racism, be it against *any* race.

So you're in the closet? Living out a fantasy you know you couldn't/shouldn't in real life.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton for life here oblivion, skyrim, eso. Just play what you enjoy imo you will have a lot more fun for it.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on December 5, 2019 5:59PM
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kawall wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    My "displeasure" of the Elven kind dates back to my exposure to The Elder Scrolls through Skyrim, though back then my view was much more centered on the High Elves as they were center stage in the game story wise. However Elder Scrolls Online has given me the opportunity to experience all cultures through ZOS' story telling, and over the almost two years of playing now I've developed a, well, developed, hate of Elves more so. But Dunmer especially.

I hate their Superiority complex.

I hate their strict, extreme devotion to their "Living Gods".

I hate how naturally Evil looking their facial features are.

But most of all, I hate their Slavery.

I know it's just a fantasy game and it's just a part of the Race's Culture and Tradition, but still the broad subjugation, enslavement, and objectification of pretty much every other Race that doesn't have pointy ears has earned them the number one spot on my list of what grinds my Dwemer gears. I used to believe the High Elves were the worst, what with their excessive Superiority complex and all, but when I learned more about the Dunmer, I realized they were FAR worse. The difference? The High Elves only want to rule over you. The Dark Elves want to own you. Dunno about you but I see that as much worse.

But on to my point of all this. Lately I've been missing out on the playstyle of a Magicka Dragonknight. I love Magicka and I miss Flame Lashing everything in my path. Playing with my Mag Sorc I discovered over time that AoE abilities are FANTASTIC in PvE content, and PvE is what I care about the most. MagKnights have several Magicka AoE abilities and having Flame Lash on top of it all would be icing on a cake I've learned to bake with my Sorc. But the thing is, every time I've made a Character, it's ALWAYS been a Khajiit. The Khajiit are the only Race in Elder Scrolls that fascinates me the most. They're the underdog, the downtrodden, the prejudiced, and especially for me, the non-Human. I've loved Khajiit since Skyrim and I just can't see myself in a Fantasy setting now if I don't have fluffy ears and a tail. :p And it should be common knowledge now that Khajiit don't have ANY Racial bonuses regarding Magic. They're the best StamBlades, but the worst Magic Casters. So, I had to do some thinking and decided I guess it was time to move outside the box.

But what Race would this MagKnight be? Something that specializes in Magic. Breton? Well, nah I don't feel like much of a Breton kind of person when it comes to that people. High Elf? Oh Hell no never. Pretty soon I was left with one option that fits MagKnights to a 'T'. A Dunmer. Of course. The Race I hated so much is best suited to play a Magic Dragonknight. But then, as I thought more about it, gears went a'turnin. Certainly not ALL Dunmer are egotistical slave driving Nyx Hounds. That would be generalizing. Surely there had to be naysayers within the Race, outcasts, progressives. That would certainly clear my mind of having a Dunmer Character. So that gave me the will to get into the Creation Menu, making my very first EVER Dunmer that I liked, and when it came to the name, I continued my tradition of Lore Friendly names and thought I'd give her the name of one of the Great Houses. So I looked them up, read about them in the Lore. And hot damn wouldn't you know it? I found this little line under House Hlaalu that made my night.
    However, House Hlaalu's most distinguishing characteristic was its willingness to live in harmony with the other races, setting it apart from the other, occasionally xenophobic, Dunmer Great Houses.

That settled it. The Lore has spoken. My desire for there to be a Dunmer that rejects the traditionalist Evils of her people to exist is backed by Canon. So now, even though I still cannot stand the majority of the Dark Elves, I now have one of my own.

Teva Hlaalu

U3H9n9f.png

tl;dr: I hate the Dunmer. They're crap. But I wanted a decent Magicka Dragonknight. So I found a way to have a Dunmer character without hating it too much.

Furry hates pointy ears, how funny. Breton's will rule all Tamriel one day. HUMAN MASTER RACE. Death to all non-humans.

I agree, Human Master Race. But Breton's don't belong in that category because they are filthy half-bloods.
    Bretons are master race 💪
    Edited by Deathlord92 on December 5, 2019 6:02PM
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of posts, we must remind everyone to keep all posts civil. That is all.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 5, 2019 8:24PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Trancestor
    Trancestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you're in the closet? Living out a fantasy you know you couldn't/shouldn't in real life.

Cries about racism in a fantasy game and then throws racism accusations at people who don't take said fantasy game as seriously as real life...you would make a great gaming journalist.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trancestor wrote: »

Cries about racism in a fantasy game and then throws racism accusations at people who don't take said fantasy game as seriously as real life...you would make a great gaming journalist.

Doesnt make the hypocrisy in that statement any less evident.

Edited by ArchMikem on December 5, 2019 9:02PM
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So let me get this straight, you think I'm a closet racist because I make fun of a fictional lizard race in a video game? And you in your wisdom deem it fitting to say so on this public forum?

Great logic there bucko. Whats next? I must be a violent warmonger in real life because I roleplay as a Malacath worshipping Orsimer? Please, enlighten me of all the terrible things I am based on what I roleplay on a video game
    Edited by PrayingSeraph on December 5, 2019 9:09PM
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer master race
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no-answer.gif
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    gepe87 wrote: »

Seems like people also have forgotten how a so-called man-god forced his way into Summerset with a machine and butchered people living on their own and not wanting to be a part of his power-hungry empire.

Also consider the fact that they were forced to worship and revere the guy who butchered their people.

Jeesus, talk about cruelty on mer kind.

Talos the "9th God". I always see Tiber as evil, forcing other races to his will.
    Altmer have arguments against Man but failed on keeping some ethic values.

Tiber evil? He stopped Cyrodiil being a total lag fest when he became Talos by turning Cyrodiil from a vast jungle to pleasant meadows. Can you imagine the fps drops and lag if we were fighting in a jungle with all those shadows and effects to render?

Yeah yeah i know, implying Cyrodiil is not laggy, but just think how much worse it could of been. He is a hero!

How? He hasn't even been born yet...

H-he is a time traveler, it's headcannon. It just works, if you ignore pesky little details like that.

Okay had to read up about it again. But turns out when Talos ascended to godhood he changed reality so cyrodiil never was a jungle to start with. Including in the past before he was born. He altered the dream.
    Edited by Neoealth on December 5, 2019 9:51PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played the previous TES games, all I know of dark elves comes from ESO, and yes, the slavery aspect of their culture is reprehensible, plus all the politics, machinations, back-stabbing, beaurocracy... however, the more I played the game the more I liked them: their unopologetic hedonistic lifestyle, the sharp humour, the magic and technology that's not sterile but has flair and character... plus, I do find them the most attractive (have a look in the 'Show your dunmer' thread, for great-looking characters), so I think they kinda grow on you... like fungi :lol:
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So let me get this straight, you think I'm a closet racist because I make fun of a fictional lizard race in a video game? And you in your wisdom deem it fitting to say so on this public forum?

Great logic there bucko. Whats next? I must be a violent warmonger in real life because I roleplay as a Malacath worshipping Orsimer? Please, enlighten me of all the terrible things I am based on what I roleplay on a video game

You're acting like it's perfectly fine to express a prejudice simply because the subject matter is fictional. I mean...just why? The acts themselves of prejudice, discrimination, etc are as you claimed, abhorrent in your real life. But make it fictional, suddenly it's fun to do?

"Honey I love you for who and what you are, you are just as equal to me as anyone else, but hey check out this walking handbag speaking like it's a person."

If you look back at my exact words, I never once made a direct accusation. Merely pointing out how hypocritical this logic is. Unreasonable prejudice toward ANYTHING, isnt fun, or funny, or entertaining. To compare to my OP, I have a disdain for Dark Elves, not for what they are, but for what they do. If I use World of Warcraft as another example, I believe their version of the Dark Elves are allies of Humanity in the Alliance. That makes them respectable.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why shouldnt we, do you own a cat, ever seen someone with a pet Lizard they are property thats why they are called owners.
    Khajiit and Argonian are animals and just like owners of lesser lifefroms the dunmer can own cats and lizards of their own.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're acting like it's perfectly fine to express a prejudice simply because the subject matter is fictional. I mean...just why? The acts themselves of prejudice, discrimination, etc are as you claimed, abhorrent in your real life. But make it fictional, suddenly it's fun to do?

"Honey I love you for who and what you are, you are just as equal to me as anyone else, but hey check out this walking handbag speaking like it's a person."

If you look back at my exact words, I never once made a direct accusation. Merely pointing out how hypocritical this logic is. Unreasonable prejudice toward ANYTHING, isnt fun, or funny, or entertaining. To compare to my OP, I have a disdain for Dark Elves, not for what they are, but for what they do. If I use World of Warcraft as another example, I believe their version of the Dark Elves are allies of Humanity in the Alliance. That makes them respectable.

It is perfectly fine to express prejudice on fictional races in a game. Just as it's fine to murder innocent npc's in games, or stealing in a game, or being part of some twisted assassin death cult in a game. Do you also take issue with murder in ESO? Or stealing? Do you think people who do such things in the game are reflecting their inner desires in real life? Your logic suggests so. Are Dominion players real life racist monarchists because they are roleplaying support for a racial supremacist Queen? Are Dominion players hypocrites because they support democracy IRL but roleplay as someone who supports a dictatorship monarchy? I am genuinely curious, because that is what your logic suggests. It's perfectly fine to roleplay anything in ESO, be it Thalmor racists or being a lizard who is part of a twisted death cult that murders innocents because their race sent them there as part of their culture(aka those filthy lizards).

"If you look back at my exact words, I never once made a direct accusation."

A direct accusation? No, but a very serious implication.

"Unreasonable prejudice toward ANYTHING, isnt fun, or funny, or entertaining."

You are not the moral arbiter on defining what is fun, funny or entertainment. Many others and myself find it very fun role playing characters that are racist, or evil, or murderous, or whatever. Many find argonian jokes funny or entertaining, they are rather popular.

Edited by PrayingSeraph on December 6, 2019 12:50AM
  • eklhaftb16_ESO
    eklhaftb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, I have never found Argonian jokes fun or entertaining - they are way too predictable and monothematic for that - but there's nothing wrong with them. People will find a way to make fun of everything, and that's how it should be. Not compassion, but humor is what makes us human.

"My grandpa died in a camp during the war." (pause) "He got drunk and fell off a watchtower."

Dark? Yes. Potentially hurtful? Definitely. But still a perfectly valid joke.

- "In Soviet Union, they grow corn like telegraph poles."
    - "Oh, that tall?"
    - "No. That far apart."

Okay, I'll show myself out. :p
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is perfectly fine to express prejudice on fictional races in a game. Just as it's fine to murder innocent npc's in games, or stealing in a game, or being part of some twisted assassin death cult in a game. Do you also take issue with murder in ESO? Or stealing? Do you think people who do such things in the game are reflecting their inner desires in real life? Your logic suggests so. Are Dominion players real life racist monarchists because they are roleplaying support for a racial supremacist Queen? Are Dominion players hypocrites because they support democracy IRL but roleplay as someone who supports a dictatorship monarchy? I am genuinely curious, because that is what your logic suggests. It's perfectly fine to roleplay anything in ESO, be it Thalmor racists or being a lizard who is part of a twisted death cult that murders innocents because their race sent them there as part of their culture(aka those filthy lizards).

You are not the moral arbiter on defining what is fun, funny or entertainment. Many others and myself find it very fun role playing characters that are racist, or evil, or murderous, or whatever. Many find argonian jokes funny or entertaining, they are rather popular.

:/

Okay. I'm gonna just walk out of this then. No point continuing.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

Okay. I'm gonna just walk out of this then. No point continuing.

Fair enough, just dont be so easy to call or imply others as something seriously bad as racism. That's not a charge that should be flung around lightly
  • dcam86b14_ESO
    dcam86b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Thalmor sympathizer so I guess I'm a bad person now.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Khajiit are the only Race in Elder Scrolls that fascinates me the most. They're the underdog

underdog?

Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tl;dr: I hate the Dunmer. They're crap. But I wanted a decent Magicka Dragonknight. So I found a way to have a Dunmer character without hating it too much.

It requires the bright and the dark to keep the universe turning. The problem is that Khajiit has no concept of "working" :)

Churning-of-the-Milk-Ocean.jpg

• Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My "displeasure" of the Elven kind dates back to my exposure to The Elder Scrolls through Skyrim, though back then my view was much more centered on the High Elves as they were center stage in the game story wise. However Elder Scrolls Online has given me the opportunity to experience all cultures through ZOS' story telling, and over the almost two years of playing now I've developed a, well, developed, hate of Elves more so. But Dunmer especially.

I hate their Superiority complex, their strict, extreme devotion to their "Living Gods", how naturally Evil looking their facial features are. But most of all, I cannot stand their Slavery.

I know it's just a fantasy game and it's just a part of the Race's Culture and Tradition, but still the broad subjugation, enslavement, and objectification of pretty much every other Race that doesn't have pointy ears has earned them the number one spot on my list of what grinds my Dwemer gears. I used to believe the High Elves were the worst, what with their excessive Superiority complex and all, but when I learned more about the Dunmer, I realized they were FAR worse. The difference? The High Elves only want to rule over you. The Dark Elves want to own you. Dunno about you but I see that as much worse.

But on to my point of all this. Lately I've been missing out on the playstyle of a Magicka Dragonknight. I love Magicka and I miss Flame Lashing everything in my path. Playing with my Mag Sorc I discovered over time that AoE abilities are FANTASTIC in PvE content, and PvE is what I care about the most. MagKnights have several Magicka AoE abilities and having Flame Lash on top of it all would be icing on a cake I've learned to bake with my Sorc. But the thing is, every time I've made a Character, it's ALWAYS been a Khajiit. The Khajiit are the only Race in Elder Scrolls that fascinates me the most. They're the underdog, the downtrodden, the prejudiced, and especially for me, the non-Human. I've loved Khajiit since Skyrim and I just can't see myself in a Fantasy setting now if I don't have fluffy ears and a tail. :p And it should be common knowledge now that Khajiit don't have ANY Racial bonuses regarding Magic. They're the best StamBlades, but the worst Magic Casters. So, I had to do some thinking and decided I guess it was time to move outside the box.

But what Race would this MagKnight be? Something that specializes in Magic. Breton? Well, nah I don't feel like much of a Breton kind of person when it comes to that people. High Elf? Oh Hell no never. Pretty soon I was left with one option that fits MagKnights to a 'T'. A Dunmer. Of course. The Race I hated so much is best suited to play a Magic Dragonknight. But then, as I thought more about it, gears went a'turnin. Certainly not ALL Dunmer are egotistical slave driving Nyx Hounds. That would be generalizing. Surely there had to be naysayers within the Race, outcasts, progressives. That would certainly clear my mind of having a Dunmer Character. So that gave me the will to get into the Creation Menu, making my very first EVER Dunmer that I liked, and when it came to the name, I continued my tradition of Lore Friendly names and thought I'd give her the name of one of the Great Houses. So I looked them up, read about them in the Lore. And hot damn wouldn't you know it? I found this little line under House Hlaalu that made my night.
    However, House Hlaalu's most distinguishing characteristic was its willingness to live in harmony with the other races, setting it apart from the other, occasionally xenophobic, Dunmer Great Houses.

That settled it. The Lore has spoken. My desire for there to be a Dunmer that rejects the traditionalist Evils of her people to exist is backed by Canon. So now, even though I still cannot stand the majority of the Dark Elves, I now have one of my own.

Teva Hlaalu

U3H9n9f.png

Worth not discounting the Ashlanders from your thoughts either, who exist almost as a separate society of Dunmer, often disrespected by the "civilised" Dunmer nobility etc.

Frankly I am pretty disappointing that the Elves in general have been moulded into the aloof, arrogant, xenophobic races that they are. I have always loved Elves and most of my 16 characters are elves of one kind or another. In fact I think off the top of my head I have 1 Argonian, 1 Khajit, 1 Imperial, 1 Orc and 1 Redguard. All the rest are Elven (including my two Bretons - half elves).
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No, the Dwemer were responsible for twisting them into their goblin-eque evil forms through enslavement and torture.
    Many of the ancient Snow Elves were betrayed in a deal for asylum they struck with the Dwemer. The Dwemer forced their wards to subsist only on toxic fungi which twisted them into sightless slaves.

And the nords hunted them to near extinction first.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are mixing reasons and consequences. It is Nords who drove Snow elves underground to Dwemers. But Snow elves tried to wipe Nords as well... so this has nothing to do with race, just fight for power. Basically this very thread is very racist, because considering that one race/nations demonstrates the same behavior/attitude no matter of individual person character, this is exactly what racism is.

Nords came to skyrim with the sole intent of stealing land, and then after the elves defended their land, came to completely wipe them out.
  • ZOS_RogerJ
    ZOS_RogerJ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings! We've closed this thread given its original age and the non-constructive nature of the recent part of the conversation.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.