The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Confessions of a Dunmer Hater

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
My "displeasure" of the Elven kind dates back to my exposure to The Elder Scrolls through Skyrim, though back then my view was much more centered on the High Elves as they were center stage in the game story wise. However Elder Scrolls Online has given me the opportunity to experience all cultures through ZOS' story telling, and over the almost two years of playing now I've developed a, well, developed, hate of Elves more so. But Dunmer especially.

I hate their Superiority complex, their strict, extreme devotion to their "Living Gods", how naturally Evil looking their facial features are. But most of all, I cannot stand their Slavery.

I know it's just a fantasy game and it's just a part of the Race's Culture and Tradition, but still the broad subjugation, enslavement, and objectification of pretty much every other Race that doesn't have pointy ears has earned them the number one spot on my list of what grinds my Dwemer gears. I used to believe the High Elves were the worst, what with their excessive Superiority complex and all, but when I learned more about the Dunmer, I realized they were FAR worse. The difference? The High Elves only want to rule over you. The Dark Elves want to own you. Dunno about you but I see that as much worse.

But on to my point of all this. Lately I've been missing out on the playstyle of a Magicka Dragonknight. I love Magicka and I miss Flame Lashing everything in my path. Playing with my Mag Sorc I discovered over time that AoE abilities are FANTASTIC in PvE content, and PvE is what I care about the most. MagKnights have several Magicka AoE abilities and having Flame Lash on top of it all would be icing on a cake I've learned to bake with my Sorc. But the thing is, every time I've made a Character, it's ALWAYS been a Khajiit. The Khajiit are the only Race in Elder Scrolls that fascinates me the most. They're the underdog, the downtrodden, the prejudiced, and especially for me, the non-Human. I've loved Khajiit since Skyrim and I just can't see myself in a Fantasy setting now if I don't have fluffy ears and a tail. :p And it should be common knowledge now that Khajiit don't have ANY Racial bonuses regarding Magic. They're the best StamBlades, but the worst Magic Casters. So, I had to do some thinking and decided I guess it was time to move outside the box.

But what Race would this MagKnight be? Something that specializes in Magic. Breton? Well, nah I don't feel like much of a Breton kind of person when it comes to that people. High Elf? Oh Hell no never. Pretty soon I was left with one option that fits MagKnights to a 'T'. A Dunmer. Of course. The Race I hated so much is best suited to play a Magic Dragonknight. But then, as I thought more about it, gears went a'turnin. Certainly not ALL Dunmer are egotistical slave driving Nyx Hounds. That would be generalizing. Surely there had to be naysayers within the Race, outcasts, progressives. That would certainly clear my mind of having a Dunmer Character. So that gave me the will to get into the Creation Menu, making my very first EVER Dunmer that I liked, and when it came to the name, I continued my tradition of Lore Friendly names and thought I'd give her the name of one of the Great Houses. So I looked them up, read about them in the Lore. And hot damn wouldn't you know it? I found this little line under House Hlaalu that made my night.
However, House Hlaalu's most distinguishing characteristic was its willingness to live in harmony with the other races, setting it apart from the other, occasionally xenophobic, Dunmer Great Houses.

That settled it. The Lore has spoken. My desire for there to be a Dunmer that rejects the traditionalist Evils of her people to exist is backed by Canon. So now, even though I still cannot stand the majority of the Dark Elves, I now have one of my own.

Teva Hlaalu

U3H9n9f.png

tl;dr: I hate the Dunmer. They're crap. But I wanted a decent Magicka Dragonknight. So I found a way to have a Dunmer character without hating it too much.
Edited by ArchMikem on December 5, 2019 1:07AM
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get off my forums, you're a disgrace to our race!

Glad you were able to find a way to make it work for you, it can be hard to make some races you dislike feel fun/natural to play sometimes.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D Some people
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's okay, we know Dunmer are horrible, and they know it too. It's why they have an inferiority complex. ;)
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    :D Some people

Glad my wonky thought processes is humorous. :p
  • Zyrudin
    Zyrudin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your post suggests that you may hate too much.
    Remember that it's just a game.

I would advise against bringing your real life experiences or beliefs into it too much.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zyrudin wrote: »
    Your post suggests that you may hate too much.
    Remember that it's just a game.

I would advise against bringing your real life experiences or beliefs into it too much.

And you seem to be reading a tad too much into it. I even said in the OP how I know it's a fantasy game. ;)
  • Zyrudin
    Zyrudin
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    And you seem to be reading a tad too much into it. I even said in the OP how I know it's a fantasy game. ;)
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I hate their Superiority complex.

I hate their strict, extreme devotion to their "Living Gods".

I hate how naturally Evil looking their facial features are.

But most of all, I hate their Slavery.
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not as bad as the Bosmer. Shall never ever have a Bosmer character.

Can't bear the pseudo mockney accents for one. And they are such teeny tiny things. And the Green Pact as an excuse for cannibalism.

But at least the Dunmer in eso look better than they did in Skyrim.
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Altmers and the Dunmers are the most superior and intellectual Mers of all Tamriel. The rest of the races are below standard.

The weak should serve the strong. That is how it should go.
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, keep in mind that Hlaalu get kicked off the Great House list in the 4th Era due to their (traitorous) err accommodating nature. They are basically glorified merchants that sell their beliefs for a quick buck (or drake). The Dunmer culture has developed the way it has because of all the hardships they have faced. And not everyone is bend on having slaves. The Dres are more into that and by the time of the 4th Era slavery isn't quite a thing with the Dunmer anymore. But all the 4th Era shenanigans leave the Dunmer into a different situation and finds them more united and unerstanding. They even tolerate Nords to some extend XD
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you dare even set foot on Vvardenfell OP!
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I simply did a no-death run a couple days ago in vCoS and now using spiderkith skin. My dunmer doesn't bother me too much now. Xivkyn polymorph works too. So try using something that will deform your face and everything is cool.
    And yeah, elves suck. Same goes for khajits and argonians.

Human master race.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hlaalu are more willing to work with other races because they are merchants and business owners. they use slaves extensively in their agriculture business.

congratulations to joining the great house!
  • binho
    binho
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like dunmer but already gave up trying to create a good looking male caracter... they all look weird :/
  • raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hlaalu sucks! House Telvanni is better :)

Now shut up and make me some Apple cabbage stew with some canister root tea.
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the slavery aspect; it adds a bit of a darker background story for my Argonian characters, especially my main one. Not that my characters are going to like it RP-wise, but from a lore standpoint it's pretty great.

Also, yeah, not all Dunmer are bad, even house Dres. If you look at the TES: Legends cards, you'll find a Dres Renegade card that depicts a Dunmer helping Argonian slaves escape. (Although the Dres Guard and especially the Dres Tormentor depictions don't really help...)
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ordinator - "We're watching you. Scum."
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • KaiDynasty
    KaiDynasty
    ✭✭✭
    I am disgusted to share my genes with you. You are not worthy to my eyes (I support Telvanni House)
    Dunmers are the sexiest race. Dunmers are the master race.
    Edited by KaiDynasty on February 9, 2017 2:13PM
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Morrowind was my first ES game, I liked the culture, the Houses (Telvanni yeeeeah!), and their war with the Ashlanders.

I did kinda feel sorry for them in Skyrim, though. But I'm sure Ulfric Stormcloak took good care of them...
    Edited by Cadbury on February 9, 2017 2:09PM
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    Gather around, folks. Only Men are worthy of walking on this earth. Not because we're better (well, we kinda are). Not because elven race FORCED us to commit our atrocities, but because we walk as one, united, and don't seek to put down every other thing slightly different from us. You're welcome Argonians. You are safe with us, Khajiits. Akaviri shouldn't really get close though.
    Unite under one banner. Not the banner of Men, but the banner of Humanity.
    Elven blood will never understand what it is like to be united and with a common desire to go forward despite the past, instead of weeping while looking back.

Let this man be a lesson.. no, a PREACHING to everyone. No one shall put his foot on your head. You are men. You are free people.

4f27cd139dc22a31e388bb8ae88b7162-bpfull.jpg
    Edited by 117Dios on February 9, 2017 2:13PM
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ArchMikem I appreciate the thought you put into and your process in creating your new char. Well done! However, I think it may be a toss up over who's more oppressed: The Argonians or the Khajiit?
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

That's all good and stuff, except you do know that Breton's are half Elf right?
    Also as we learn in Morrowind, not all Dunmer worship the "Tribunral" and not all support slavery. There is even a side quest in Morrowind where you help break the "Dres Family" by liberating Argonian Slaves.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on December 5, 2019 7:12PM
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *begins chanting* one of us!
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the Dunmer hate the Dunmer. Have you seen how they treat Ashlanders?

But yeah, Dunmer, as a race, are jerks. I love them, but sweet Aedra are they flawed. Even though my main in TES games is always a Dunmer, I almost always add an element of rebellion or distaste for certain qualities of their own race to their backstory.

Case in point: my ESO main was born into House Telvanni (second most deplorable house after Dres, imo ), but was pretty much raised by an Argonian nanny who taught her some actual empathy, and then she bucked the traditions of the House when she was recruited into the Morag Tong. Since then, she goes by the moniker Nephikah "the Houseless" as a big middle finger to that whole system.

Granted, she's still a jerk, but that's more of a personality problem than because she's a Dunmer. :D
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • KaiDynasty
    KaiDynasty
    ✭✭✭
    117Dios wrote: »
    Gather around, folks. Only Men are worthy of walking on this earth. Not because we're better (well, we kinda are). Not because elven race FORCED us to commit our atrocities, but because we walk as one, united, and don't seek to put down every other thing slightly different from us. You're welcome Argonians. You are safe with us, Khajiits. Akaviri shouldn't really get close though.
    Unite under one banner. Not the banner of Men, but the banner of Humanity.
    Elven blood will never understand what it is like to be united and with a common desire to go forward despite the past, instead of weeping while looking back.

Let this man be a lesson.. no, a PREACHING to everyone. No one shall put his foot on your head. You are men. You are free people.

4f27cd139dc22a31e388bb8ae88b7162-bpfull.jpg

You never heard the story of bretons and orcs right? ...
  • Llaren_Uvayn
    Llaren_Uvayn
    ✭✭✭
    I always play Dunmer, but yeah, their culture is for the most part appallingly xenophobic. TES III: Morrowind is by far my favourite game and I've always felt Nerevar Incarnate would most likely be born as a Dunmer, a descendant of the Chimer. It's the lore I'm most fond of, not so much the hateful superiority complex. I'm most sympathetic to the Ashlanders. They don't really have slaves (as far as I know), since they don't associate with other peoples for the most part.

My char in ESO tends to disregard the Dunmer superiority complex as a silly distraction from the noble pursuit of knowledge of all things Aedric and Daedric.
    PS4 / EU

Sadryn Hlervu: Warden tank
    Llaren Uvayn: Templar healer and faithful Tribunal servant
    Ashanabi Addunipu: Ashlander mercinary from the grazelands
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the slavery aspect; it adds a bit of a darker background story for my Argonian characters, especially my main one. Not that my characters are going to like it RP-wise, but from a lore standpoint it's pretty great.

I like it from a lore point of view, darker themes can make stories way better if done correct(TES did it pretty well), but that doesn't mean I dislike them any less. But that combined with their narcisism and megalomania makes them really unlikeable as a whole.

However there are a few Dunmer I actually like, for example the guy in greenshade who wants to turn into a khajiit, or the ex-Dres woman in Abnar's Landing.
    Edited by theher0not on February 9, 2017 3:02PM
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they don't hate you, you are not playing a dark elf right.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play khajiit everything, to hell with racials
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • hmsdragonfly
    hmsdragonfly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    S'wit...
    S'wit never changes.
    Aldmeri Dominion Loyalist. For the Queen!
This discussion has been closed.