The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Review and Re-pricing of Large Houses

SamSam
SamSam
Soul Shriven
~Review and Re-Pricing of Large Houses~

INTRODUCTION

As this is quite a large post I will put a TL;DR down the bottom, though I urge you to read the full post if you want a full explanation of my thinking and the basis for decisions such as ranking.

My main reason for putting this together is because, while the devs might have had good reasons for why they priced the large homes as they did, there are some definite inconsistencies in the pricing scheme.

Unlike most of the posts that I've seen on the issue, I am not about to write an essay on why the large houses are way overpriced. From what I've seen and experienced the price bracket that large houses fit into currently is actually pretty reasonable since there are many cheaper houses to choose from. Rather than focus on whether the price bracket is appropriate, I'm more concerned about the fact that, among the large houses, some are sensibly priced while others make very little sense.

In this post I will be ranking each of the large houses based on three factors: internal space, external space and location. When it comes to internal space obviously the amount of space is the most important thing, but how things are partitioned and shaped will be a factor. For someone who is decorating a house, square rooms afford more space and options than circular or oddly shaped rooms. With external space I am taking into account the amount of real estate available as well as the amount of flat ground – which affords more easy placement of furniture – and the character features such as waterfalls and external buildings. Finally, the location, where the home is located. While you can free travel to homes so location largely doesn't matter, it is worth considering the amount of access a home affords to local crafting stations, banks, etc.

Along with the ranking and explanation of what earned each home its place, I will provide a new price where relevant as well as any suggestions I have to make the home more worthy of its inclusion in the large home pool, if applicable. Please keep in mind that with housing personal preference is certainly a large factor and while I've tried to be as conscious of this as possible, if you disagree with anything I welcome input as this list is primarily designed as player feedback.

1. Mathiisen Manor: Price increase. 1,025,000 → 1,320,000

This home is the crown jewel of the large houses. The exterior is massive, and more importantly, relatively flat giving you a huge amount of room to work with for outdoor furnishing, crafting spaces, dueling rings and more. The atmosphere is peaceful and the small pool out back is serene and private. With that said, the true value of this house is in it's unmatched interior. Where some houses further down the list can compete based purely on available space, no other large house has the same amount of space so well set out. The entrance hallway is wide enough that a clever owner could host a small bazaar with that space alone, and the way the house is roomed off makes it easy to designate spaces to bedrooms, kitchens, etc, while still having a wealth of space left over. If the space inside the house weren't enough, two large balconies afford room for seating and entertainment with a beautiful view of the city below.

Embellishment and fancy wording aside, Mathiisen Manor is one of the big offenders on this list as far as pricing is concerned. I am sure a lot of people will be quite unhappy to see that the first price on the list is a 300k increase, but when compared to the other houses which received an initial price around the 1 mil mark this house stood out as far superior.

While a lot of the other houses down the list see a hefty price drop, in the interest of fairness Mathiisen Manor had to see an increase in price. With such a wealth of space so beautifully laid out, the only reason I could see for anyone deciding on a different home is a preference in aesthetic. Mathiisen Manor is well deserving of its place at the top of this list and its new price reflects as much.

2. Hunding's Palatial Hall: No change in price. 1,295,000 → 1,295,000

When comparing Hunding's Palatial Hall to Mathiisen Manor it was hard to decide on which home was more deserving of the number one spot. Indeed, they both share an incredible amount of space both inside and out. Hunding's Palatial Hall also comes with a shocking amount of swimming space, something no other house can claim. The amount of ocean accessible in this home is comparable to the entire yard on some of the other homes and with its balconies, watch tower and courtyard this home has at least some of the features that would attract a buyer to any other home.

In the end Hunding's Palatial Hall fell a little short of Mathiisen Manor in my personal opinion, but whether or not it deserves the top spot it certainly deserves its original price. When forming my opinion on new prices for other homes Hunding's was the home I compared all others to when deciding whether or not they deserved to be at the top end of the bracket. If there is any complaint to be made, it's the slaughterfish that still nibble at your toes whenever you stray too far to the edge of your private stretch of the ocean.

3. Forsaken Stronghold: No change in price. 1,285,00 → 1,285,000

This home, more than any other, feels massive and imposing. It is easy to see that it was designed with defensibility in mind as well as comfort. The outdoor area is expansive, multi leveled, with plenty of space to place down furniture on top of the Stronghold itself in addition to the yard. The tower provides a lofty view of the surrounding regions and even has space for more furniture below. Inside, this house is built like a castle with the first floor in particular having a huge amount of space available within a single room. If your main desire is a throne room there is very little argument that can be had against this being the large home for you.

While the outdoor areas for this home are a little more on the bleak side, space once again is abundant. I haven't yet tried to fully furnish one of these three top homes on the PTS, but I would not be surprised if I reached the furniture limit before I ran out of space. As with Hunding's I think this home is worthy of its initial price, the wealth of options available when furnishing this home puts any competition to shame and I would recommend this home to anyone deciding on a guild hall. The one minor downside is the location, you have a long way to go from your front door to get to any kind of civilisation.

4. Strident Springs: Price decrease. 1,280,000 → 1,095,000

At a glance, one of my close friends scrunched their nose up at Strident Springs' desert exterior, but once you explore it becomes obvious why this house was initially priced so highly. Red sand and desert grass provide color that brightens up what could have been a dull and unappealing desert yard, and your very own waterfall makes this one of the most stunning houses of the lot. With how much the outdoor area surprises and wins you over, it is a shame that the house itself feels cramped for space when compared against the previous three homes. While Strident Springs has a character unlike any of the other homes on this list, it is this same character which makes it so polarising. A wealth of rooms makes it easy for an imaginative homeowner to create a wonderful living space, perhaps a tavern or family home, but for those looking large spaces to customise this may be a let down after seeing what the outside has to offer.

While I enjoyed this house quite a lot, and the waterfall adds much to the property, compared to the above three homes which all feature tremendous outdoor and indoor space, Strident Springs is a step down. The outdoor area leaves nothing to be desired and the tower is a beautiful addition, but Hunding's has a tower, as well as a courtyard, a patio and a wealth of indoor options. While it is unique in its use of indoor space, Strident Springs' two stories are constricting with their many rooms and while partitions and bookshelves can be used to create artificial rooms, if you are looking for a home that is open and inviting there is no way to manufacture that with what Strident Springs has to offer. Nonetheless, it would be an injustice to put Strident Springs at a price any lower than what I have as it is still a gem with a tremendous amount of appeal.

5. Mistveil Manor: No change in price. 1,020,000 → 1,020,000

This house was initially the most disappointing of the lot to me, based purely on my initial hopes for a nord home. Compared to the medium nord home, which is nearly a fourth of the price and has the exact same internal building, it's easy to be found wanting after seeing what your 760k is worth. The yard is among the smallest and, while you do get some extra space from the patio/barn/balcony, these are restricted by their dimensions and provide no more room under cover. Nevertheless, there is still a great deal of space on the inside of this home and for someone seeking a cozy family home Mistveil Manor has that classic nordic vibe that will keep your heart warm even in the cold winters.

While I have left the price the same, I do not believe this house should remain as is. In order to bring something unique to the table and earn its price tag I believe a small basement/cellar room should be added, accessible by a trap door either in the barn or the main house. Even if the room is quite small, the addition of more internal space breaks the easy comparison to the medium house and the trap door gives this home something unique that I'm sure many housing fans were hoping to see on display in at least one home.

6. Gardner House: No change in price.1,015,000 → 1,015,000

Situated in the heart of Wayrest this home is for those who would rather something more suburban than grandiose, while the yard is small it is comfortable, and the indoor space more than makes up for it. Each of the three stories grants a wealth of space and the bottom floor in particular holds a lot of character and options for the creative buyer. While this home is spacious, well located and easy to decorate, it lacks the addition of extra wow factor and interesting additions that define the highest tier of homes, and where Strident Springs fell short on indoor space, Gardner House has the exact opposite issue.

Gardner House, again, is a home that is quite fairly priced. Given the small yard and lack of a tower or water feature, it sits comfortably in the middle of the pack and I am sure there will be many who look through the houses and decide that this is their dream home.

7. Quondam Indorilia: Price decrease. 1,265,000 → 965,000

The biggest disappointment with this property came as a result of it's description. On the patch notes and as you load in it mentions that this home has a view across a waterfall to the city, yet when you load in the tiny yard and high walls afford you no view whatsoever. A balcony would have been this home's saving grace, but no such luck. Given the utter lack of a view, the smallest yard of all the large houses and the restrictions imposed by it's interior, it is hard to believe that anyone would pay top dollar for this home when weighed up against the other options.

While not as significant a change as the next home on this list, you need only compare Quondam Indorilia and Mathiisen Manor to see why this home's price needed some very serious adjustment. From the disappointment of it's bizarrely misleading flavor text to the somewhat restrictive indoor space and yard this home does not deserve to make it into the seven digit pool, regardless of whether you like the architecture or not.

8. Dawnshadow: Price decrease. 1,275,000 → 785,000

Yes, compared to some of the more subtle price changes on this list the price change to Dawnshadow might be appear quite staggering to someone who hasn't got the house in mind. However, out of all the houses I believe the Khajiit large home to be the most grossly mispriced when taking everything into account. While there are a couple of smaller yards, for the catlike Khajiit I am certain that more space would have been more appropriate, especially given where this home is situated. Being a fair distance from the nearest city, there was plenty of wiggle room with this home's footprint and what strikes me as odd is that the yard is actually smaller than that of the Khajiit medium home, which also has a lovely bathing pool and plenty of shade. In other instances, small yards have meant large homes, but the Khajiit house is perhaps the most disappointing of all internally as well. The small area you have to work with is narrow and with the exception of the two cheapest homes – both in the original prices and my re-evaluation – it has the least room overall.

Dawnshadow, more than any home, needs a change in price. There is no justification for it being in the higher price bracket as far as I can see, internally and externally it leaves much to be desired, it is not conveniently located and above all think about the kind of character this home is being marketed to! Would a Khajiit, well known for being cunning thieves and shrew merchant, even spare a thought for such a home when there are so many better on the market? If anything is considered from this list, please let it be this.

9. Stay-moist Mansion: No price change. 760,000 → 760,000

With a name like Stay-moist Mansion it's hard to have high hopes, yet despite its size when compared to the other large houses there is no denying this home's appeal. Anyone who mains an argonian and is seeking their character's ultimate home will be delighted by this double story mud ball, complete with swampy ruins and a natural support beam. The rocks which form a natural wall around your home are more often than not easy to scale, giving you a great view and options for expanding your home to the very edges of what invisible walls allow. Finally, if you are feeling secretive, this home provides a conveniently dark area where the supporting tree splits in two where stolen valuables and skooma can hide from the prying eye.

More than any other home this one is sold on its unique character. If you don't like mud or moss then this home could be priced at 200k and you'd still be hesitant to buy it, however, even knowing that, the dev team deserves praise for not trying to overprice the argonian homes. It is a ball of mud in a swamp and the price, much cheaper than the more traditional homes, reflects that. The only downside for those who are sold on buying this home is that the second story room is greatly limited by the tree driven down the middle.

10. Gornir Estate: Price decrease. 780,000 → 755,000

As with the Argonian home, the original price for Gornir Estate reflects the understanding that while there is most certainly a unique appeal in the Bosmer style, at the end of the day a lack of space and flat ground means that aesthetic and price are the only reasons for a second glance at this large home.

While I do believe the price for Gornir Estate is fair, the adjusted price is merely a reflection of my belief that Stay-moist Mansion has an edge over this home in terms of value. However, Gornir Estate is hardly the reason for this list being created and for those who want the Bosmer large home for its appearance alone, a 25k price difference won't make or break that decision.

CONCLUSION

Firstly if you've read thus far congratulations and thank you, and if I can ask any more of you it would be to comment with your own opinion on these proposed pricing changes. Housing in games is something I am very passionate about and while some of these homes may have received their original price due to having a particular aesthetic, perhaps being placed in a richer district or having a quest which implies a hidden value to the seller, at the end of the day I think size and ease of decorating are the most important things when deciding the price of an in game housing system.

TL;DR

For those of you who didn't want to read the wall of text, I don't blame you, and here are my initial notes which gives the proposed price change and some dot points I made.

Mathiisen Manor 1,025,000 → 1,320,000
Large exterior, pond, Huge interior with multiple rooms and easy walls to work with.
Hundings Palatial 1,295,000 → 1,295,000
Massive exterior, huge swimming space, huge interior and tower.
Forsaken Stronghold 1,285,00 → 1,285,000
Large exterior, Massive interior spaces and tower.
Strident Springs 1,280,000 → 1,095,000
Large exterior, pond with waterfall, watchtower, medium multi room interior, cramped.
Old Mistveil Manor 1,020,000 → 1,020,000
3rd smallest yard, small barn, porch and balcony, same interior as the medium house.
Gardner House 1,015,000 → 1,015,000
2nd smallest yard, Large interior, 3 stories.
Quondam Indorilia 1,265,000 → 960,000
Smallest yard, medium 3 story interior with many odd shaped walls and pillars, NO VIEW.
Dawnshadow 1,275,000 → 815,000
4th smallest yard, small and narrow interior, no other features.
Stay-moist Mansion 760,000 → 760,000
Medium exterior with interesting assets, small interior. Mud ball.
Gornir Estate 780,000 → 755,000
Smallest interior, huge yard. Hippy balls.

Note: I have not done the quests associated with these houses and thus the flavor that comes with the quest had no influence upon my analysis. This assessment of house pricing is only meant to focus on the large houses as compared to each other while using some of the medium houses as reference.

• Cootie
    Cootie
    ✭✭✭
    Dawnshadow is a massive dissapointment for the price cosndiering the unusable yard and lackluster interior.
    Id be surprised if anyone purchased it at it's current price-point because of all the better alternatives. I also agree that
    Mathisen is easily one of the nicest homes, even when considering the largest palace homes (whatever they're called, the largest size) I'm quite surprised it is as 'inexpensive' as it is when compared to other large sized homes. How is Dawnshadow worth more than it? :P
  • old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait.. what's the reasoning for increasing any of the homes costs?

Also Mathiisen Manor maybe be large but its surrounding area is really bland... in fact a lot of the large homes have pretty bland surroundings.. where balcony or other ways that you could at least have a vista from your home.

In fact I think most of the large homes needs better or at least more elaborate landscaping and views.. I don't think any of them need a price hike for sure.
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    old_mufasa wrote: »
    Wait.. what's the reasoning for increasing any of the homes costs?

Also Mathiisen Manor maybe be large but its surrounding area is really bland... in fact a lot of the large homes have pretty bland surroundings.. where balcony or other ways that you could at least have a vista from your home.

In fact I think most of the large homes needs better or at least more elaborate landscaping and views.. I don't think any of them need a price hike for sure.

The point of this post isn't to suggest whether the prices as a whole should be higher or lower, but to rebalance the prices within the present bracket (roughly 1.3mil - 700k). Mathiisen Manor is the only house which sees any significant price rise, and indeed most of my suggestions are for lower prices than they currently have. However as I said in the post, Mathiisen Manor is currently tremendously undervalued and I believe it should be the most expensive of the lot, if I were to keep it at it's current price rather than raising it, I would have to reduce the price of every home. I am working under the assumption that this is the price bracket Zenimax wants Large Homes to occupy and so it received a price rise in order for it to occupy a more appropriate place relative to other houses.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you're really over estimating how popular Mathiisden Manor will be. Whilst it looks pretty at first glance as other people have said the grounds are really bland (and being flat actually counts against it for some people), it's got potential in the sense that it's a blank slate but it would need a lot of decorating to make it look good and that eats into your item limit.

The inside has been frustrating people too because you can't put furniture flat against the wall so a lot of stuff is going to have to be pushed in towards the middle of the room, which makes it look more cramped and just generally creates an odd layout. I've also seen quite a few complaints about the layout.

Likewise a lot of people really like Strident Springs because its one of the few houses divided into rooms. I also find it odd that you praise Mathiisden for having a flat, bland exterior and then criticise Strident Springs for the same thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong exactly, just that it's all down to personal preference. One person's "must have" asthetics are another persons negatives so I don't think it's possible to accurately price the houses based on what one person likes.

(Also for future reference making the entire post centered makes it unnecessarily hard to read. Because the start point of each line doesn't match it's harder to track across and find your place, especially for people who have a hard time reading a screen or have a condition like dyslexia. It's fine for titles but not for blocks of text, except maybe poetry.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    Danikat wrote: »
    Likewise a lot of people really like Strident Springs because its one of the few houses divided into rooms. I also find it odd that you praise Mathiisden for having a flat, bland exterior and then criticise Strident Springs for the same thing.

(Also for future reference making the entire post centered makes it unnecessarily hard to read. Because the start point of each line doesn't match it's harder to track across and find your place, especially for people who have a hard time reading a screen or have a condition like dyslexia. It's fine for titles but not for blocks of text, except maybe poetry.)

Apologies for the formatting, for me personally I found it more readable, but with a couple of complaints now I'll definitely avoid it in the future.

As for the Strident Springs, I actually praised it's exterior and said that it's interior was where it was lacking. If all it came down to was the exterior then the waterfall combined with the overall beauty of the landscape would put it quite high in my books.
    SamSam wrote: »
    -once you explore it becomes obvious why this house was initially priced so highly. Red sand and desert grass provide color that brightens up what could have been a dull and unappealing desert yard, and your very own waterfall makes this one of the most stunning houses of the lot. With how much the outdoor area surprises and wins you over, it is a shame that the house itself feels cramped for space when compared against the previous three homes.

Later on I also said this home was quite polarising, as seems to be the case!

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the formatting, for me personally I found it more readable, but with a couple of complaints now I'll definitely avoid it in the future.

It's a very common 'mistake'. Part of my job is to feedback on external communications for my organisation and if I had a penny for every time I've had to tell someone not to center align everything I could probably retire now, or at least buy a nice (real life) house and a holiday!

But it's also a bit of a pet peeve for me because I have mild dyslexia and losing my place when I get to the end of a line and try to find the next one down is probably the number one reason my reading speed is well below what it should be and I often have to read something 2 or 3 times to understand it.

On a possibly related note I apologise for misunderstanding what you said about Strident Springs. I thought you were saying the colour and the waterfall were the only saving graces and otherwise it's disappointing.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're really over estimating how popular Mathiisden Manor will be. Whilst it looks pretty at first glance as other people have said the grounds are really bland (and being flat actually counts against it for some people), it's got potential in the sense that it's a blank slate but it would need a lot of decorating to make it look good and that eats into your item limit.

The inside has been frustrating people too because you can't put furniture flat against the wall so a lot of stuff is going to have to be pushed in towards the middle of the room, which makes it look more cramped and just generally creates an odd layout. I've also seen quite a few complaints about the layout.

I'm not saying you're wrong exactly, just that it's all down to personal preference. One person's "must have" asthetics are another persons negatives so I don't think it's possible to accurately price the houses based on what one person likes.

I agree with this.. I don't think Mathiisden Manor is all the great.. maybe if it was on a sea side cliff or had water falls coming off the cliffs.. to fish that swim in the now stagnate pound something to break the blandness of the house... I for sure don't see it as deserving the highest cost for sure.
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    I so disagree with your ratings...

Strident Springs are the one I am going to have, it is better than any of three manors. I buying home, not guildhall.

Mathiisen Manor is one of the least desirable for me - I absolutely cannot see it as a cosy comfortable home. If feels like cheap version on manors - while quite a few large homes have their own character.

• SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    Soella wrote: »

Strident Springs are the one I am going to have, it is better than any of three manors. I buying home, not guildhall.

Mathiisen Manor is one of the least desirable for me - I absolutely cannot see it as a cosy comfortable home. If feels like cheap version on manors - while quite a few large homes have their own character.

There's no denying that other homes may have more character or be more cozy, however if you read the full post you'll see that my rating system is not meant to be based on my opinion, how cozy they are, how comfortable they are, but the available real estate. I think that altering the prices based on which one 'looks nice' or other heavily opinion based things is ludicrous and will only make people unhappy. Instead this list is based on available space, as I think that price should most importantly be decided by the available space you are buying to decorate.
    Edited by SamSam on January 20, 2017 4:09PM
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mantra of real estate: Location, location, location.

It boils down to your personal taste and quite honestly I'm sure there are many players out there who will simply want to collect them all, regardless of price.

Edit: Sorry, I simply think logic does not apply much here.
    Edited by Rouven on January 20, 2017 4:16PM
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Incognitius
    Incognitius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for making this thread. As someone who has been obsessing about these houses, I'm always curious about other people's opinion.

Personally I would place Hunding's Palatial Hall higher than Mathiisen Manor, because I love the Redguard style, and I find the surroundings to be more interesting, and the build of the place more original. I also may have been too many times to the bank in Vulkhel Guard.

When you really go through Mathiisen Manor, the differences between the Manor and the bank are surprising. Doors aren't there where you expect them, and other doors lead to balconies.
    What I liked about Mathiisen Manor is that it is divided into rooms, which makes it easier to furnish.

Strident Springs has this as well, but there the rooms are smaller, and the stone walls are also darker, making them even smaller. Whether this is a negative or a positive depends on your taste and decorating skills. ;)
    I might like Strident Springs more than Mathiisen, purely because I like the architectural style more, I see it less often during my travels in Tamriel.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good descriptions on the Houses. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this. I want to get one small, one medium and one large house and this will help me choose.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soella wrote: »

There's no denying that other homes may have more character or be more cozy, however if you read the full post you'll see that my rating system is not meant to be based on my opinion, how cozy they are, how comfortable they are, but the available real estate. I think that altering the prices based on which one 'looks nice' or other heavily opinion based things is ludicrous and will only make people unhappy. Instead this list is based on available space, as I think that price should most importantly be decided by the available space you are buying to decorate.

ok... but that's like saying, well this barren plot of land is biggest there is there for the biggest cost.. but for just 2/3 the size the plot I can sell you this other plot of land with a waterfall and stream running through it.. for 1/3 cheaper....

Or another way to put it.. you can buy 1000 acres of desert property for the same amount of 1/4 acre of beach front property..

Location and looks have major effect on the "worth" of a property.. all some of us are saying is that the looks and feel of the Mathiisden Manor make it worth less then other properties and the devs with there pricing seem to agree that its not worth the most.
    Edited by old_mufasa on January 20, 2017 4:53PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mathiisen Manor is the second biggest large house and probably the third biggest house overall. It's great value from a dollar per square foot perspective. I initially thought it was underpriced as well. However, it doesn't seem to be a particularly popular home for a few reasons:
    • Lack of interior living space (there are only two rooms and endless hallways)
    • Most of the yard space is at the back of house, forcing you to walk all the way around that behemoth of a structure (with no mount) to get to it; there is no back door to shorten the trip
    • There is no view as the house is surrounded by high walls (the huge front-facing balconies stare into a wall); it's watchtower is not accessible either

As an Altmer/AD fan, I was quite disappiinted with this house. It's a great value home, but it doesn't really appeal to me.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 20, 2017 6:04PM
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    ok... but that's like saying, well this barren plot of land is biggest there is there for the biggest cost.. but for just 2/3 the size the plot I can sell you this other plot of land with a waterfall and stream running through it.. for 1/3 cheaper....

Or another way to put it.. you can buy 1000 acres of desert property for the same amount of 1/4 acre of beach front property..

Location and looks have major effect on the "worth" of a property.. all some of us are saying is that the looks and feel of the Mathiisden Manor make it worth less then other properties and the devs with there pricing seem to agree that its not worth the most.

Well even if we agree to disagree about Mathiisen Manor, based on what you are saying, what about other houses such as Dawnshadow? It is currently one of the most expensive homes, has a tiny, flat dirt yard, and minute interior with walls that look like a 10 pack a day smoker has lived there for 40 years.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well even if we agree to disagree about Mathiisen Manor, based on what you are saying, what about other houses such as Dawnshadow? It is currently one of the most expensive homes, has a tiny, flat dirt yard, and minute interior with walls that look like a 10 pack a day smoker has lived there for 40 years.

For the record, I agree that Mathiisen Manor is underpriced based on price per square foot. Pricing should have been done based on this reasoning instead of location since the latter is subjective.

Dawnshadow is probably the worst value house in the entire game. There is literally nothing appealing about it. It's outdoor space is half that of Strident Springs with no view or interesting features (it's just a flat rectangular plot of sand). I compared it to Strident Springs because they're both located in Reaper's March and cost the same. It has a cramped interior with few windows (basically just two long rooms). I think this house will be at the bottom of sales once the patch goes live.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 20, 2017 6:18PM
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SamSam Very interesting analysis. I have wondered on what parameters ZoS has used for pricing their houses.

It is very hard to give an unbiased view of the properties because we all see the "potential" of a property as different.

I am not fond of Altmer architecture but Mathiisen Manor does have a lot of usable space and balconies. After having tried decorating Stay-Moist Mansion (I play Argonians and love this place!) the terrain in the yard does mean getting more creative to create flat/level places for some things.

My guess for this bracket of housing that Hunding's will be the most popular. Least popular is a bit harder to guess as some are very niche brackets.

Personally I like Strident Springs - biggest asset is the waterfall and pool - wish an Argonian one had water deep enough to swim in!
  • thegreybetween
    thegreybetween
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say "Thanks" for providing the first bit of detailed commentary I've heard about Stay-Moist Mansion. I'm not on the PTS and have been very keen for details on the Argonian offerings, but very few people seem to think that the houses deserve much comment. I've seen pics of pretty much every house (and have all but memorized popular places like the Daggerfall manor through screenshots), but not a single screenshot of any Argonian place and not much more feedback. I know "mudballs" aren't going to corner the market, but I was hoping to at least see more info about the grounds/yards (as the interiors are easy to surmise from visiting existing mudballs).

I'm scrambling to accumulate the Gold for SMM, though I do love the thematic humility of the small/medium home titles ("Humblemud" and "The Ample Domicile") and may decide to start there. The yard(s) will be my main decision point, and as of now I have nothing to go on except that I believe they each have a yard, which is nice.

As to your main OP, I can't contribute much as I'm not on the PTS. I will say that my initial reaction to the relative prices was favorable and your points here seem reasonable. And while I have a loooong way to go to afford a bigger place (about 300k to my name), I look at a place like Hunding's Palatial Hall as a long-term goal and a challenge, rather than a rip-off. I think the housing prices are OK, in general.*

*Assuming that subsequent patches continue to add versatility and (above all) functionality to housing, per much of the feedback in these forums. The initial offering is a fantastic start, but I'm really keen to see what the Homestead system looks like in a year.
    Brings-the-Rain - Argonian Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact - CP278 (and steadily rising)
    Build: "lolz l2p n00b"
    Master Crafter | Werewolf | Solo PvE (so far) | ESO Plus | NA/PC via Steam

"Cool rain on your scales, friends."
  • old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭

For the record, I agree that Mathiisen Manor is underpriced based on price per square foot. Pricing should have been done based on this reasoning instead of location since the latter is subjective.

Dawnshadow is probably the worst value house in the entire game. There is literally nothing appealing about it. It's outdoor space is half that of Strident Springs with no view or interesting features (it's just a flat rectangular plot of sand). I compared it to Strident Springs because they're both located in Reaper's March and cost the same. It has a cramped interior with few windows (basically just two long rooms). I think this house will be at the bottom of sales once the patch goes live.

So a 5000 square foot house in a dump is worth more then 2000 square on lake front property?

The op wasn't asking for Dawnshadow price to be upped 250,000 to the most expensive house from where they have it currently sitting.. you know a better question is why was Dawnshadows price set so high in the 1st place and maybe a reduction is in order..

Also square footage means nothing when it comes to housing.. many places the land the house is on is what they are buying and where the worth of the property is valued not the house on it that they tear down to build a new one.. the bulk of the value is always the land
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So a 5000 square foot house in a dump is worth more then 2000 square on lake front property?

The op wasn't asking for Dawnshadow price to be upped 250,000 to the most expensive house from where they have it currently sitting.. you know a better question is why was Dawnshadows price set so high in the 1st place and maybe a reduction is in order..

Also square footage means nothing when it comes to housing.. many places the land the house is on is what they are buying and where the worth of the property is valued not the house on it that they tear down to build a new one.. the bulk of the value is always the land

And this is a video game where the value of land is subjective. There is no way to objectively determine property value because there is no resale market. The only objective measure of price would be based on square footage.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 20, 2017 6:45PM
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven

I think you might be getting a little confused here among the sea of replies my friend. I believe MLG was also agreeing that Dawnshadow needs a price reduction, so as far as that property goes we're all on the same page.

As far your argument about what places value on a house I completely understand where you are coming from. In a real world sense everything that you are saying applies and is 100% true. However, this is a video game and in video games there are different things which make a property valuable. There is no need to consider schooling districts or access to hospitals etc, but I did try to take into account the location of each of these properties and I believe that locationwise the Mathiisen Manor would also be valued quite highly. It is a property a single bridge's walk away from a massive high elven city in Auridon of all places. The property value over there must be sky high and this is prime real estate. Considering more practical things, it also affords quick wayshrine/bank/crafting/merchant access.
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    I just wanted to say "Thanks" for providing the first bit of detailed commentary I've heard about Stay-Moist Mansion. - I've seen pics of pretty much every house (and have all but memorized popular places like the Daggerfall manor through screenshots), but not a single screenshot of any Argonian place and not much more feedback.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I do believe there are some places out there which have great resources that already show off these houses, but if you are in desperate need of some better screenshots I can post up a new thread in about 15 minutes with an imgur album of all three argonian properties. I personally think the medium sized argonian home is incredible value for money and wouldn't want you scrambling for coin if this humble location is just the right home for you.

• Cootie
    Cootie
    ✭✭✭
    I do really hope they make less attractive homes (the ones with smaller yards, less useable space) cheaper. I am 100% ok if the price differences are added on to the nicer large sized houses to keep the overall cost of the "large home catergory" total even.

The reason I want this is because I want there to be housing variety. If the nicest, most spacious house is one of the cheapest, everyone is going to get that one. Boring!

The mre I think about it, the more I also agree that the NORD LARGE HOUSE (edit: Mistveil Manor) needs the basement like you reccomended. I looked at the medium and large on the PTR and they are legit the same house. :(
    Edited by Cootie on January 20, 2017 6:59PM
  • thegreybetween
    thegreybetween
    ✭✭✭

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I do believe there are some places out there which have great resources that already show off these houses, but if you are in desperate need of some better screenshots I can post up a new thread in about 15 minutes with an imgur album of all three argonian properties. I personally think the medium sized argonian home is incredible value for money and wouldn't want you scrambling for coin if this humble location is just the right home for you.

While I would really appreciate a peek at the yards, you don't need to go out of your way unless it was part of your plan anyway. I'm content to have a few surprises when at last I'm able to preview the homes for myself.

"The Ample Domicile" has been my plan for a while now, and I'm very pleased to hear that it may well be a good fit. That should give me a nice and thematic footprint from which to grow into larger mudballs in time, and the fact that it won't completely gut my capital reserves is a nice bonus.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback and I'm very happy to see the community putting such thought and insight into the upcoming Housing system, as it has been one of my most-anticipated features. It may have a few growing pains to overcome, but the potential is definitely evident. Good times.
    Brings-the-Rain - Argonian Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact - CP278 (and steadily rising)
    Build: "lolz l2p n00b"
    Master Crafter | Werewolf | Solo PvE (so far) | ESO Plus | NA/PC via Steam

"Cool rain on your scales, friends."
  • Dev
    Dev
    ✭✭✭✭
    FFS this is barely out and people want to 'balance' the prices by raising them....
    History lesson boys and girls: In the entire history of MMOS, of humans and in general life: the word balance has never meant anything good. It is always about changing it in a way that HARMS the players. If you want the ultimate example of why balance is not good, watch star wars series.

Besides there is no point in raising the gold cost for anything in the million gold bracket and above, as most of those will be bought by crowns anyways.

Also why raise the prices when most people dont have that kind of gold? If anything, all the prices should be lower, much lower... unless it is your goal to rip people off with crowns instead. Even if i had 20mil, i would still not want to pay any more then i had to.

The self-righteousness of some people really makes me wonder exactly how f'd the world is when people are actually saying: No, i want to pay more for that piece of nothing.

People are getting so incredibly stupid these days, everyone keeps acting AGAINST their best interest. Raising prices doesnt help anything but let those with the extra 200k feel better then those without? Do people have such self-esteem issues that they need to suffer more in order for some 1's & 0's on a server?
  • SamSam
    SamSam
    Soul Shriven
    Dev wrote: »
    FFS this is barely out and people want to 'balance' the prices by raising them....
    History lesson boys and girls: In the entire history of MMOS, of humans and in general life: the word balance has never meant anything good. It is always about changing it in a way that HARMS the players. If you want the ultimate example of why balance is not good, watch star wars series.

The self-righteousness of some people really makes me wonder exactly how f'd the world is when people are actually saying: No, i want to pay more for that piece of nothing.

Well, putting fictional universes aside for the moment, I think that a lot of your rage is unfounded. I suspect you skimmed my post, at best, and saw the suggested price rage for the first house and focused entirely on that. Apologies if I assume, but that is what your post leads me to believe as the vast majority of the proposed changes would lead to a LOWER overall price for large houses.

Even ignoring that you completely skipped over the fact that, as I made clear from the first few paragraphs, this is not intended to be a discussion about whether or not the current price bracket for large houses is too high or low, it is talking about how some of these prices don't make sense when compared to the others.

Though to be frank I don't really see why you are so passionate about this issue if at the end of the day you think of housing as people paying for nothing.
    Edited by SamSam on January 20, 2017 7:33PM
  • Cootie
    Cootie
    ✭✭✭

um, the best time to balance a patch is before it goes live..... So yeah, ofcourse this post is out now and not later :,). You shouldn't wait to voice your opinion on patches untikl after they hit live. That's the point of the PTR!

As for the rest of what you said.... ?????? The issue of if you think the current prices are fair is a discussion for a different thread. ZOS already set the prices to be within a certain range (760k to 1,280k) and if that's what they want to charge then ok... The issue is that there are some houses that are for pretty much the MAX price for Large Homes (Dawnshadow) that really do not deserve to be piced that high because they're pretty lacking. The whole "maybe raise the price on this one house (Mathiisen )" part comes from the fact that OP is being objective- by the same standard he used that found some homes really lacking and ovderpriced for the large-house-braket, he found Mathiisen to be undervalued. I am sure most of us would be ok with prices being lowered and none raised but OP was doing hes best to be unbiased.

If you have the PTR, I really do encourage you to go look at 4 homes inparticular to get a feel for the weird pricing: Nord Medium home, Nord Large home, Dawnshadow and Mathiisen :)
    Edited by Cootie on January 20, 2017 7:38PM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides there is no point in raising the gold cost for anything in the million gold bracket and above, as most of those will be bought by crowns anyways.

You underestimate how many people have more than a million gold saved up. It's really not that much money.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 20, 2017 8:10PM
  • willlienellson
    willlienellson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem I have with these little tweaks (which is fine) is they rely too much on your subjective personal preferences.
    Of course, the original prices were almost certainly a product of the same thing.

So..Meh. Increase a few 10%. Drop a few 10%. Whatever. People are going to disagree forever on which are best homes and which are the best deals.

If we had 10 different people make 10 different threads trying to "assess" the value of these properties they would all be different. So, what makes you qualified to assess these homes so specifically?

I'm much more inclined to listen to argument that says the entire system is too expensive or too cheap or whatever...than one person that wants to play imaginary county tax assessor of Tamriel.
  • old_mufasa
    old_mufasa
    ✭✭✭✭

I think you might be getting a little confused here among the sea of replies my friend. I believe MLG was also agreeing that Dawnshadow needs a price reduction, so as far as that property goes we're all on the same page.

As far your argument about what places value on a house I completely understand where you are coming from. In a real world sense everything that you are saying applies and is 100% true. However, this is a video game and in video games there are different things which make a property valuable. There is no need to consider schooling districts or access to hospitals etc, but I did try to take into account the location of each of these properties and I believe that locationwise the Mathiisen Manor would also be valued quite highly. It is a property a single bridge's walk away from a massive high elven city in Auridon of all places. The property value over there must be sky high and this is prime real estate. Considering more practical things, it also affords quick wayshrine/bank/crafting/merchant access.

Well if we are talking location and not just looks.. the one in wayrest should be sky high...

But even in games the "subjective looks" of a location also play into the cost.. the location and looks are both bad for Mathiisen Manor.. all it has is size... while the one in reapers march has a ton visual effects for its out side areas and is close to one of the best trading hubs in the game... so even subjective things like looks and convince are still a factor.. just as real life square footage is not the only thing the game prices are going to reflect.