The Firesong DLC and Update 36 base game patch are now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 3:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 11:00AM EDT (15:00 UTC)

Best class for dueling?

WacArnold
WacArnold
✭✭✭
What is the strongest class for dueling? I want to make a strictly dueling character able to take on any build any class or at least a character that has the fewest counters
Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam dk
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka DKs are strong against most builds and average to good players, but IMO at the top level Stam DK is the strongest overall class for dueling. Mag DKs are strongly countered by any non-vamp wearing Reactive, for example.

    A well-built duelist Stam DK has just about everything covered and will have too much block sustain and healing to be effectively pressured enough to be bursted down. They can still get a lot of damage pressure with their dots and burst with good use of ultimates and a proc set. You will typically see a 1h/shield turtle + pressure bar, and a 2h finisher bar.

    Magicka NB is the runner up to Stam DK IMO. They are somewhat countered to varying degrees by DKs in general, but they can swap abilities to do pretty well against them.

    DW/bow heavy armor stamsorc can be strong too, but is countered by magicka NB because of their mobility, and certain templar builds because of cleanse.
    Edited by Kutsuu on December 26, 2016 4:40PM
    PC/NA

    Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything but StamNB. Glass cannons are simply not good for dueling.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your help I think I'm going to make a stam dk
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • danielmitchell13nub18_ESO
    Seriously...? Dk is still the most op class?!

    What about nightblades? Do they stand a chance?
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously...? Dk is still the most op class?!

    What about nightblades? Do they stand a chance?

    Without surprise, nightblades aren't as good as people think.

    I agree with the above. Stam DK followed just a hair behind by magicka DK. The latter is only good in a duel because the enemy can't run away without forfeiting.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its probably stam sorc. While top tier players and destro sorcs will counter dark deal often, you're still gonna be able to get some stam sustain and burst healing from it, surge+dark deal unties you from the terrible 2h skill line and allows you to run a build with insane pressure and solid burst.

    I'm not willing to argue against stam DK though.

    Honorable mentions: mDK and mag sorc. Both have very specific, strong, weakness, but when you get accustomed to dealing with said weaknesses they can become very deadly.

    I'd say mDK is a good class to make for duels though, they're very strong as is, completely shut down ranged builds(mag sorc/nb), they're presently in a decent place but in line for buffs that will likely put them over the top next patch. Also, the animations for mDK are just so visually pleasing and the array of hard/soft CC is just great.
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam DK is a safe choice because your survivability is very good (less likely to die) and your sustain is alright too. They definitely don't have the burst to finish people off easily though, and all the DoTs in the world won't make a difference versus a templar.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to change the title to:

    "Best gear for dueling".

    Just saying :D
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valencer wrote: »
    Stam DK is a safe choice because your survivability is very good (less likely to die) and your sustain is alright too. They definitely don't have the burst to finish people off easily though, and all the DoTs in the world won't make a difference versus a templar.

    Heavy attack into dawnbreaker on a 2h bar that also has execute is almost always enough if you have already put some pressure on them with dots and they're at ~20k remaining health.
    PC/NA

    Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orc
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Its probably stam sorc. While top tier players and destro sorcs will counter dark deal often, you're still gonna be able to get some stam sustain and burst healing from it, surge+dark deal unties you from the terrible 2h skill line and allows you to run a build with insane pressure and solid burst.

    I'm not willing to argue against stam DK though.

    Honorable mentions: mDK and mag sorc. Both have very specific, strong, weakness, but when you get accustomed to dealing with said weaknesses they can become very deadly.

    I'd say mDK is a good class to make for duels though, they're very strong as is, completely shut down ranged builds(mag sorc/nb), they're presently in a decent place but in line for buffs that will likely put them over the top next patch. Also, the animations for mDK are just so visually pleasing and the array of hard/soft CC is just great.

    Yeah I duel a lot on my stamsorc and it's very good - the most difficult opponents are magicka NBs and magicka templars. NBs because they can abuse my lack of gap closer very effectively and templars because of their constant cleansing. These aren't overwhelming weaknesses, but they are weaknesses for sure.
    PC/NA

    Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MagDK is the best
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Orc

    This ain't the "Ugliest race of Tamriel" thread.

    On topic:
    Definatly not a Nightblade. These guys are good at killing enemies fast, but as mentioned here before, this only applies when they have the element of surprise. Something that's hard or barely possible to have in an open duel.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Orc

    This ain't the "Ugliest race of Tamriel" thread.

    On topic:
    Definatly not a Nightblade. These guys are good at killing enemies fast, but as mentioned here before, this only applies when they have the element of surprise. Something that's hard or barely possible to have in an open duel.

    I actually have the hardest time with stamblades. I think they are still really good in duels they are just kind of weak to dks. You just have to set your nightblade up for duels. Stamblade will be strong against any build in light armor, But weak to heavy armor dks. Every class is like that they all have counters except heavy armor stam dk
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the most trouble against magicka dks. Stam dks are also good.
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also what is better light armor Mag Dk or Heavy Armor perma block Mag Dk?
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭
    Strongest class is and always has been: STAMPLAR.
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Best is probably stamdk because they hardcounter all ranged builds with wings. But seriously, all you need is heavy armor, vitality pots and Redguard, it makes every class OP as ***.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Anything but StamNB. Glass cannons are simply not good for dueling.

    One of the best duelers on PS4 at the moment is a 2h/bow stam NB lol.
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭
    Best is probably stamdk because they hardcounter all ranged builds with wings. But seriously, all you need is heavy armor, vitality pots and Redguard, it makes every class OP as ***.

    Stop crying about redguards! They've always been totally fine and balanced! Just git gud, mate...
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »
    Anything but StamNB. Glass cannons are simply not good for dueling.

    One of the best duelers on PS4 at the moment is a 2h/bow stam NB lol.

    A highly skilled player on a stamNB who knows how to utilize proc set burst can be extremely good. Certain builds hard counter them, and IMO they take a lot more effort and skill to be very successful on.
    PC/NA

    Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the two top dogs in duelling right now are without question pet sorcs and stam DK. they just present so much to deal with.
    stamplars are also a handful now.
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since homestead maybe petsorc is the strongest. Almost unstoppable range burst damage. But honestly you can successfully duel on each class \ spec.
    Boadrig, EU PC

    Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

    Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Rawst
    Rawst
    ✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Since homestead maybe petsorc is the strongest. Almost unstoppable range burst damage. But honestly you can successfully duel on each class \ spec.

    do you happen to know some unstoppable pet sorc duel builds? I'm kinda interested since I have a set of necropotence.
    Beasts in amber! Wake and remember!
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rawst wrote: »
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Since homestead maybe petsorc is the strongest. Almost unstoppable range burst damage. But honestly you can successfully duel on each class \ spec.

    do you happen to know some unstoppable pet sorc duel builds? I'm kinda interested since I have a set of necropotence.

    Well, almost all sorcs now less suffer from reflections. Look what they usually have.
    Scamp + Twilight attacks - unreflectable. Scamp's pulse is a decent aoe with aoe stun.
    Curse - unreflectable \ unblockable
    Force pulse - unreflectable
    Lightning heavy attacks - undodgeable, unreflectable

    And more stuff like Blockade, Atronach. Only CF stays reflectable.
    Edited by Ashamray on March 7, 2017 11:40AM
    Boadrig, EU PC

    Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

    Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    what do you guys think about templars?
    with magickasteal and channeled focus they have really good sustain. if they combine that with a reactive set, they can heal pretty much all the time without the fear of beeing burst down in cc.
    duels with that kind of templar can take forever.
  • pjwb16_ESO
    pjwb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    pet sorcs
    Edited by pjwb16_ESO on March 21, 2017 11:10AM
    ~ here since Beta

    My Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCw3x5B-l0S093TAo10WafLA


    EU Server PC @Elendiel
    Fyrusha - NB AD
    Auri-ele - Sorc AD
    Watch me Nae Nae - Magicka DK AD
    Watch me Whip - Magicka DK DC
    Schnuggii - Bubble Templar AD
  • Isellskooma
    Isellskooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magsorcs
Sign In or Register to comment.