The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Unholy Herdsman - Thelon's Pet Build (Homestead)

• Dao_Jones
    Dao_Jones
    ✭✭✭
    sync wrote: »
    I'm using the Clanfear but so far I'm not impressed with its ability to tank.

As @Vahrokh said, it's definitely useful for tanking WBs, or other single enemy fights. Me and two other people ran through the WBs in Auridon last night, and apart from one or two that didn't seem to have an aggro mechanic (they jumped around a lot), my Clannfear did just fine tanking.

I'm curious about the VF's AoE damage, but I rolled a mSorc specifically to solo group content, so I think that I may need to keep the CF around, even if it does cut my overall damage output.

I think these pet builds with the VF slotted are definitely aimed more toward players who are more practiced with rotations, keeping timer skills up, and/or have better gear/CP options. For an undergeared, no-CP-having, unpracticed scrub like me, the CF represents a free "breathing room" pet that helps cover my mistakes in positioning, rotation, and magicka-management.

If anything, I'm starting to think the Matriarch is expendable. Since I don't use Daedric Prey, and I have the CF's heal available, the Matriarch ends up being an extra heal I don't need, and a pretty poor source of DPS that I only notice when she aggros something off the CF in a fight.
    Edited by Dao_Jones on March 16, 2017 2:55PM
    You've played with the best... now play with the rest!

www.unrepentantgaming.com. Pants off - game on!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good approach @Dao_Jones - keep it up and good luck out there!
  • sync
    sync
    I find the Clanfear loses aggro easily. Any tips for getting aggro back on the pet?
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sync

I guess that depends on the particular situation - keep in mind a couple of things about "Clannfear tanking"

- The Clannfear had a low priority taunt. If other group members or random players are in the area or on the threat table, bosses will often ignore the Clannfear, making it look like the pet is "losing aggro"

- The Clannfear will only be able to aggro multiple enemies if you give it the opportunity to do so. Start encounters by commanding the pet to attack your chosen mob, and focus your fire on that same mob to prevent yourself from gaining aggro on other enemies. This will give your pet the best chance to taunt additional targets

- Some bosses are untauntable or dispel taunts as part of their base mechanics

Hope this helps!
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only learned about how the pet command key works a few weeks ago. For other slow learners like me: You hold down the pet command key and left click to attack a mob. Pet command key and right click to stop attacking.

I was targeting mobs and pressing the key but not clicking, thinking it was broken. Lol.

If you have your twilight out, it will get aggro first and end up pulling the pack to her (and you usually)
    Edited by gard on March 20, 2017 12:36PM
    My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • sync
    sync
    gard wrote: »
    If you have your twilight out, it will get aggro first and end up pulling the pack to her (and you usually)
    Yeah, that is what I notice.

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dao_Jones wrote: »
    sync wrote: »
    I'm using the Clanfear but so far I'm not impressed with its ability to tank.

As @Vahrokh said, it's definitely useful for tanking WBs, or other single enemy fights. Me and two other people ran through the WBs in Auridon last night, and apart from one or two that didn't seem to have an aggro mechanic (they jumped around a lot), my Clannfear did just fine tanking.

I'm curious about the VF's AoE damage, but I rolled a mSorc specifically to solo group content, so I think that I may need to keep the CF around, even if it does cut my overall damage output.

I think these pet builds with the VF slotted are definitely aimed more toward players who are more practiced with rotations, keeping timer skills up, and/or have better gear/CP options. For an undergeared, no-CP-having, unpracticed scrub like me, the CF represents a free "breathing room" pet that helps cover my mistakes in positioning, rotation, and magicka-management.

If anything, I'm starting to think the Matriarch is expendable. Since I don't use Daedric Prey, and I have the CF's heal available, the Matriarch ends up being an extra heal I don't need, and a pretty poor source of DPS that I only notice when she aggros something off the CF in a fight.
    i say the VA if best used in groups were you have tank an healer, in this setting the clanfear is pretty pointless as it will not tank in groups and don't do much damage.
    Clanfear is for solo stuff.
    So for questing, public dungeons and craglorn stuff its perfect you can even solo some group dungeons with it as an mediocre player.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vitalist
    Vitalist
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, everybody! A question on farm of Necropotence set. I came to Rivenspire, Public Dungeon Obsidian Scar and I kill 2 bosses there - Murgbakh Axe-Hands and Zozullu. Question: all parts of a set fall from them? To me one epaulets fall. Is it normal?)
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason I've had issues with the Clannie holding proper aggro like it used to. I dunno if any of you have experienced the same thing.
    I know about untauntable bosses, or mechanics that ignore taunt etc., I've done this before but recently he just seems to be extra derpy.
    Heck - even my Twilight sometimes aggros more than the Clannie and the bosses just stick to her.
    I can keep her alive just fine, but at this point I'm considering switching to the familiar.

A shame - I liked the big derp. :'(
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »
    How does this build compare to Erraln's The Culmination: Summoner Damage Dealer?

Thelon's seems more about survivability and doing content solo. The other one is more strictly dps, would be rough without a healer.

When doing content solo with The Culmination I typically leave all gear and skills the same except I replace Bound Aegis with either Twilight Matriarch or Power Surge. The primary reason it can be somewhat challenging is having to basically tank everything yourself.
  • sync
    sync
    Vitalist wrote: »
    Hi, everybody! A question on farm of Necropotence set. I came to Rivenspire, Public Dungeon Obsidian Scar and I kill 2 bosses there - Murgbakh Axe-Hands and Zozullu. Question: all parts of a set fall from them? To me one epaulets fall. Is it normal?)

All overland sets have the same drop rules:
    Delve bosses have a chance to drop a waist or feet set piece from the zone they are located in.
    Each boss also has a small chance to drop a unique set piece.
    Overland group bosses have a 100% chance to drop head, chest, legs, or weapon set piece from the zone they are located in.
    Public dungeon bosses have a chance to drop a shoulder, hand, or weapon set piece from the zone they are located in.
    Treasure Chests gained from defeating a Dark Anchor have a 100% chance to drop a ring or amulet set piece form the zone they are located in.
  • DarkDeller
    Im running 5 necro 5 elegance 1 illabris. Seems to working well, lofhtening staff attacks hitting quiet hard imo
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DarkDeller

That's a pretty cool set-up, and it might even work well in the pvps!
  • DarkDeller
    @Thelon yea mate, it actually works nicely in pvp, the pets annoy the crap outta people and in 1v1 even 1v2 situations, ive managed to do very well. It normally takes 4+ people to get me down.
    It performs really really well in vma aswell.
    Edited by DarkDeller on March 26, 2017 2:38AM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does this build compare to Erraln's The Culmination: Summoner Damage Dealer?

Thelon's seems more about survivability and doing content solo. The other one is more strictly dps, would be rough without a healer.

When doing content solo with The Culmination I typically leave all gear and skills the same except I replace Bound Aegis with either Twilight Matriarch or Power Surge. The primary reason it can be somewhat challenging is having to basically tank everything yourself.
    @Molydeus

That sounds like a good strategy to me! Finding room on your skillbar for Streak, even if it's relegated to your overload bar, can help you kite your way out of some really tough spots.
  • Vitalist
    Vitalist
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, everybody! Interests opinion about:
    1) Grace of the Ancients (+967 Max Magicka, Increase Maximum Magicka by of 4%.). It isn't better than Willpower?
    2) Iceheart for solo farming?
    3) I used more than 30+ keys on a chest of Gilirion the Redbeard's, each shoulders to me dropped out on 2... 5 times, but never fell Ilambris (I am silent about Divines). I simply am not lucky or needs other chest?
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Vitalist

Ancients does not win over Willpower unless you're looking for a much more defensive approach. Yes, more Magicka will up your shields and pet damage, but the Spell Damage from Willpower gives you much more personal damage potential, while keeping a great Magicka bonus for shields, pets, etc.

Iceheart is meh all around, but if you want to RP with that nonsense just go for it. This build is so strong that you can get away with some "personal flavour" alterations

You are opening the correct Undaunted Chest - better luck next time, friend! Here are some alternatives and their uses to consider while you wait for RNG to bless your kind soul:

- Skoria: Good Damage, reliant on your ability to keep Blockade and Liquid Lightning active as much as possible

- Engine Guardian: Good Sustain, the better your animation cancelling (the faster you cast spells) the more often it procs

- Iceheart: Poor Damage, Poor Defense, you'll need the high Crit Chance from this build's End-Game setup

- Infernal Guardian: Good Damage​, competes with Ilambris only on highly mobile bosses (Mantikora)

- Maw of the Infernal: Very Poor Damage, use only as a filler, and give it the dips when it dies too early

- Kena: Good Damage, Very Poor Sustain, use only if grouped with a competent healer running Ele Drain + Blue Balls

- Nerien'Eth: Good Damage, very poor against mobile bosses

- Pirate Skeleton: Very Good Defense, especially considering this build's high reliance on shields and low reliance on healz

- Shadowrend: Very Poor Damage, use only as filler, and give it the dips when it dies too early

- Slimecraw: Good Damage, health recovery bonus is useless

I hope this helps friend, and good luck out there!!!
  • Vitalist
    Vitalist
    Soul Shriven
    Hello @Thelon
    Many thanks for the developed answer!
    Considering your experience and knowledge, I will leave as is and I will continue to open Gilirion the Redbeard's Chest. In given the moment I go with Grothdarr set, but he isn't pleasant to me. Having listened to you I have made such priority: Ilambris, Valkyn Skoria, Nerien'eth, Pirate Skeleton, Infernal Guardian. I go in random of a dungeon still more often and a Empowered Ward there seldom I use. By the way, your opinion - what it is better to replace it with? At present at me costs Inner Light, but I think of Haunting Curse. Also Elemental Drain is replaced with Crystal Frags (the same skills and with 3 bar). It when "easy" dungeon. What does you think?
  • MW2K
    MW2K
    ✭✭✭
    @Thelon

Perhaps I've missed it in the last five pages, but why choose Empowered Ward over something like Harness Magicka? Both do magicka recovery, and it seems Harness Magicka provides the better benefit for yourself. It doesn't cover your pet though, which is why I assume you've chosen the Ward.
    Lighting braziers and dispelling wards in Tamriel since 1994
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Empowered Ward gives you 10 vs 6 seconds and helps your pets. Harness Magicka does neither and relies on getting hit by spells for its benefit. That's my reasoning for choosing Empowered Ward anyway.

My other char is a magplar healer so it comes naturally for me to buff up the clannfear, send him in, wait till he's fully engaged (with aggro) then join matriarch in healing and adding damage. I fit that category of being a bit clumsy with rotations and wanting the security blanket of the clannfear. I also don't farm much for gear so run Necrox5 + Seducerx5 (even at CP380). My sorc is a Bosmer so those sets really help her blue.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    Very fun build. Similar to https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/304306/build-magicka-sorcerer-necropotence-aoe-dot-build#latest
    . There are a few differences in the CP layout and the bars and rotation are different, but gear is pretty close.

I made the changes to my mSorc this weekend and have been having a blast. I am using just the VF, with Aegis for more Magicka. One bar (fire staff) is for applying dots (liquid lightening, elemental blockade, and deadric prey. The other is for ward, buff and lightening staff heavy attack. I send in pet and proc his AOE, shield him and then swap bars to lay down dots, swap back to main bar, do 2-3 heavy attacks then repeat. This weekend I successfully soloed every world boss I could tried (about 15) accept Valen in Riverspire. Can't quite deal with the split physical wrecking.

So on world bosses solo I have been hitting 25K damage parses which I am happy with. I havn't taken him into a group dungeon situation yet.

Here is my build here: en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=12331
    Edited by OldGamerESO on April 3, 2017 12:35PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are folks finding Elemental Drain worth the slot? I know my magplar healer uses it extensively. We've learned that it will not aggro a foe so you can 'paint' them all before the fight even begins which is nice and it lasts a long time. It is just that for the pet sorc, the pets already take up 4 / 10 slots. . . .
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AcadianPaladin

I need Elemental Drain for sustain on long boss fights, especially while solo. So yes I feel it's well worth th slot, even on cluttered pet sorc bars.

ps great name
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thank you @Vixenne
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OldGamerESO

I like your setup friend but you need a spammable DPS skill on your main bar. I'd recommend replacing Curse with Force Pulse - give it a shot and let me know how it goes!!!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my friends call me Tay Tay and i support this message
  • Kwik1
    Kwik1
    ✭✭✭✭
    So i bought a full necropotence set and it is purple but all divines. Should i upgrade it to gold? I am not rich but i have enough to do this if it helps much.

Also i have rings and ammy of willpower but what would you you suggest for my shoulders/helm/staves? I need something i can buy or make and i can make every set. What would you say would help til i get the items in your build?
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kwik1

Hello friend! Yes an upgrade to gold gear is well worth the cost! However, there will be a new patch in about a month so keep that in mind...

In terms of a craftable set to fill the gap in your build, try two pieces of Torugs Pact - this is a great Spell Damage buff that you could slot while you finish farming.

Good luck out there!
  • kyria.paganb16_ESO
    kyria.paganb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! :)

I am a returning player and started following your build. I am set up with a combination of end game gear and the poor man's gear for now, and working on achieving Undaunted Mettle. I decided to go for Unstable Clannfear for tanking purposes as I solo most of the time.

My conundrum is this - I can't use Matriarch as she blocks my view and interferes with gameplay. Will this build work without her and do you have any recommendation as to what would be a suitable replacement?
    Edited by kyria.paganb16_ESO on May 1, 2017 3:50PM
    [EU PC]