Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ignoring a player should make your messages invisible to them

Woeler
Woeler
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I basically have a player on ignore, because he has been insulting me and my family members extensively, but I found out via friends that whenever I'm having a normal conversation with someone in zone chat this guy still keeps replying to my comments insulting me and my family members. I can't see it, but it's still there.

Now this wouldn't be an issue if you actually took care of harassment reports, but I guess people telling you your family members are *** and that you should kill yourself are totally tolerated. So if you're not doing anything about it, at least make my chat messages not appear to the people I have ignored.

Thanks.
Edited by Woeler on November 13, 2016 12:14AM
  • Digerati
    Digerati
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty logical that if you squelch someone, they should automatically squelch you as well... You really should be able to completely cease communications with another player... Bidirectionally.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would think. I know since 1T I've put a bunch on my ignore list. The text chat is nice but it sure brought out the trolls and keyboard warriors.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say the meanest things . I know on Ps4 they do take take this serious as a player told me they got banned for saying political stuff and when He told me exactly what was said it was way more then political and he definetly needed a time out . I told him to rated M means mature and mature doesn't always mean curse words but actually acting mature . The TOS does not allow anything involving harassment .
  • Dissolution_Reborn
    Dissolution_Reborn
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that if you ignore another player that they cease to exist in real life.

This is really disappointing and I'm not happy to find this out at all :(
  • Ufretin
    Ufretin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say the meanest things . I know on Ps4 they do take take this serious as a player told me they got banned for saying political stuff and when He told me exactly what was said it was way more then political and he definetly needed a time out . I told him to rated M means mature and mature doesn't always mean curse words but actually acting mature . The TOS does not allow anything involving harassment .

On PC-EU I've reported players for insults and "political things" that would constitute a criminal offense in most countries but haven't seen anyone ever get banned even temporarily. :(
    Edited by Ufretin on November 13, 2016 12:24AM
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your situation but i don't think that should be how it works.

Instead ZOS should actually deal with the reports correctly.

Anything else is just too iffy.

In another game i've had some complete buffoon put me on ignore because he somehow thinks that i was someone else despite the two VERY different usernames, he then would 'warn' people about me in zone chat about what i 'do' while eventually claiming to have 'proof'. Since i knew he was full of it, and could see what he claimed i told everyone else who he could see talking to ask for the proof then.

Turned out some guy was trolling him endlessly while he was interacting with a terminal and in that game it had player character collision so he was walking into him to push him away from the terminal to close it on him and then they had a long argument which he took many screenshots, thing is, although all evidence he had clearly showed someone else entirely, his self written descriptions he kept referring to the person as my name.

If the ignore button worked by also blocking the ignored person from seeing what the blocker says then i wouldn't have been able to defend myself from a guy who spreads lies whenever he saw *anyone* say my name.

You have a guy saying dumb things, just ignore it. It doesn't need to be made a 2 way street because if other people are just going to tell you what he says then it really changes nothing, and at least for your situation it's just clearly petty insults, for others it can be false claims with no way of knowing you need to defend yourself from it.
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ufretin
    Ufretin wrote: »

On PC-EU I've reported players for insults and "political things" that would constitute a criminal offense in most countries but haven't seen anyone ever get banned even temporarily. :(

maybe i should report red noob ts3 guild zerg trolling me on blackwater forum for 6 months with no activity from other DC or AD.

racism, homophobia, sexism, bullying are tolerated by community. JUST DON'T TALK IN CAPS :open_mouth:<3 NERDS

• alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say they have mounds of reports where people falsely report others just because they were killed in pvp, kicked from a group, or any other number of reasons.

Really all the people filling false reports should be the ones to blame. If people only reported things that were truly worthy of a report I am sure action would be taken much quicker.

Also when you reported said person did you attach screen shots with evidence?

I can't think of any logical reason why they would still be able to see what you said if they are on your ignore list, but then again ZoS does some pretty illogical things.

One more thing, what did you do to this person to cause them to harass you so much?
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skcarkden wrote: »

In another game i've had some complete buffoon put me on ignore because he somehow thinks that i was someone else despite the two VERY different usernames, he then would 'warn' people about me in zone chat about what i 'do' while eventually claiming to have 'proof'. Since i knew he was full of it, and could see what he claimed i told everyone else who he could see talking to ask for the proof then.

Turned out some guy was trolling him endlessly while he was interacting with a terminal and in that game it had player character collision so he was walking into him to push him away from the terminal to close it on him and then they had a long argument which he took many screenshots, thing is, although all evidence he had clearly showed someone else entirely, his self written descriptions he kept referring to the person as my name.

If the ignore button worked by also blocking the ignored person from seeing what the blocker says then i wouldn't have been able to defend myself from a guy who spreads lies whenever he saw *anyone* say my name.

You have a guy saying dumb things, just ignore it. It doesn't need to be made a 2 way street because if other people are just going to tell you what he says then it really changes nothing, and at least for your situation it's just clearly petty insults, for others it can be false claims with no way of knowing you need to defend yourself from it.

Sorry but no, that scenario is beyond the scope of what a simple ignoring feature should functionally do.

There are people that are deserving of a report and diciplinary action. And there then there are simple solutions to people that simply annoy you or that you just dont really get along with. A simple squelch is fine for that, and it should work both ways. If the person being ignored can read messages from the other person, and respond without having no idea that they are the ignore list of said individual, it just makes things unnecessarily complicated. If you want to make sure you can defend yourself against "false claims" then you are just going back to square one. If they can't read what you are saying then it would almost require some third party relaying messages between the 3 of you, which is ridiculous.

A random player kicked me from a group after I responded to a request for one healer for a vet daily, I'm a 531cp nb healer, I can heal all 4 man content with my eyes closed, and upon seeing that I wasn't a templar, he kicked me without comment. I asked what the issue was and his response was along the lines of "don't waste peoples time" and "use the activity finder if you want to cheat your way into a group". I said nothing and put him on ignore, simple as that. There is no reason he needs to see what I type after that point. For all I know, I could being responding to another request for a healer in zone chat and he then would try to belittle me or hurt my reputation.

2 way mute should be the norm as it is in most online multiplayer games.
    Edited by exeeter702 on November 13, 2016 3:29AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the thing, if someone annoys you, or you don't want to see what they say... that's what ignore's for.

If someone is harassing you constantly in chat, that's what the report function is for.

I know, "but, if I've ignored someone, then I won't know they're doing it." This is true, which is why you really should only use the ignore function when you really just do not what to see what someone is saying, and don't care at any level about the carp coming out of their mouth.

If you are worried about fish-face besmirching your reputation... don't put them on ignore. Just don't. Report the part where they're harassing you.
  • SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's not really how ignore features usually work. Yes, if you ignore someone talking bad about you - they can still say bad things about you without your knowledge, whether you're talking or not. This is always the risk you run when you get in on the action of global chat. Theres always going to be someone out there who doesnt like what you're saying and probably attacks you, just because of the nature of the conversations that go on there. Now, if it's as much of an issue as you're saying OP Im really wondering how much time you spend talking there and what you expect from it. You can really start a conversation whenever you want, but it's not always so easy to stop once you get started.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Sorry but no, that scenario is beyond the scope of what a simple ignoring feature should functionally do.

There are people that are deserving of a report and diciplinary action. And there then there are simple solutions to people that simply annoy you or that you just dont really get along with. A simple squelch is fine for that, and it should work both ways. If the person being ignored can read messages from the other person, and respond without having no idea that they are the ignore list of said individual, it just makes things unnecessarily complicated. If you want to make sure you can defend yourself against "false claims" then you are just going back to square one. If they can't read what you are saying then it would almost require some third party relaying messages between the 3 of you, which is ridiculous.

A random player kicked me from a group after I responded to a request for one healer for a vet daily, I'm a 531cp nb healer, I can heal all 4 man content with my eyes closed, and upon seeing that I wasn't a templar, he kicked me without comment. I asked what the issue was and his response was along the lines of "don't waste peoples time" and "use the activity finder if you want to cheat your way into a group". I said nothing and put him on ignore, simple as that. There is no reason he needs to see what I type after that point. For all I know, I could being responding to another request for a healer in zone chat and he then would try to belittle me or hurt my reputation.

2 way mute should be the norm as it is in most online multiplayer games.

Sorry but you're wrong. 1-way is fine. What the OP-and you-wants is beyond the scope of the ignore feature. you put someone on ignore, you no longer see what they say. That's all it really needs. The only reason the OP still has a problem after that is clearly because other people are relaying the message. All that needs to happen is an improvement in the reporting system, get people to take things more seriously too, rather than tell the guy what gets said they should ignore and report them too. But crying "I ignored a guy and i know he still talks about me" changes nothing.

Also, i'm not even sure you read my point right, i didn't propose anything new, just that it's fine as is, and that reporting people breaking rules/harassing others needs to be dealt with so no idea why you're telling me the current system is beyond its own scope, and if that's the case, then a 2 way street would be twice as far beyond the scope.

All a 2 way street would do is make it so people can ignore someone and then say anything they like about that person without them knowing while not solving anything else.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine the way it is. Maybe you shouldn't be so soft.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also please increase ignore list limit.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine the way it is. Dont *** people off if you dont wanna deal with the consequences.
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah the wonderful world of non-relevant replies to the OP.

Sometimes I wish I could put you all on ignore on here. Shame it doesn't work.

@Woeler, tagged @ZOS_DaryaK, @ZOS_AlanG, @ZOS_KaiSchober to see if they can move your report for you.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually have a very similar issues with a player. Countless reports, countless times being told to kill myself and such, and any time I say something in zone and this player is also there, people tell me what they are saying. I completely agree that our messages should also be invisible to them. Particularly since ZoS thinks this behavior is tolerable. /:

I wish you the best of luck on this issue.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would make more sense. It would even make more sense putting these people on different server shards - altough it may be easier said than done.
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also grow some thick skins... I know this is a dead concept these days but it really works. Words got as much power as you give them.

Buy also, you cant see it so does it really matter? Is knowing that harmful?
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also grow some thick skins... I know this is a dead concept these days but it really works. Words got as much power as you give them.

Being polite and respecting your fellow humans seems to be the dead concept these days. So we as society need to punish those that act in a wrong way. Looking away doesn't solve problems. I agree that people like that need to get a ban or at least a chat silence, so they can't harrass other people anymore. But game developers seem to be ever less ready to hand out these punishments or even have moderators in the game.
    Having a two-way ignore could be a temporary solution.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The other concept that seems dead these days is basic manners - I keep seeing people saying get a thicker skin, but a bit of basic politeness and behaving in ways that wouldn't shame your parents and grandparents is also called for.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Skcarkden
    Skcarkden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »

The other concept that seems dead these days is basic manners - I keep seeing people saying get a thicker skin, but a bit of basic politeness and behaving in ways that wouldn't shame your parents and grandparents is also called for.

Thing is, what notimetocare said is fitting here, OP wants to pointlessly have ZOS waste time making the ignore feature to also prevent the person being ignored from seeing anything said by the person who put them on ignore. It won't solve anything, a third person is still just going to pass the message on untill you get it across to others to learn to just ignore it and report the guy.

It adds more problems than it stops by preventing the ignored person seeing what the person doing the ignoring says, someone can put you on ignore and now be able to say *anything* they like about you, direct insults, spread lies, you name it, you won't be able to see it or defend from it if need be.

So yes, some people do need a thicker skin, but saying people need manners in return is mis-directed. the people getting ignored usually are the ones in need of manners, not the one saying get a thicker skin.
    Edited by Skcarkden on November 13, 2016 10:48AM
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know when someone is on ignore, if you hover the cursor over them it tells you cannot trade with this player you have them ignored, yes I agree ignore should mean just that not see my chat their chat, should not be able to rez them in pvp, they should no longer exist to you any longer.

But sometimes ignore is not enough, if this person continues personal attacks, real life threats they should be reported, ZOS is a very politically correct company and will give people a time out, I know of a couple of players that did get perma banned over making threats it does happen, just back up your complaint with screen shots, ZOS will ban people making threats faster than someone using the cheat engine.

I have someone in game now that tries to bully me and talks crap in zone chat I have no idea why I think I killed them on their other faction character or something , I have not ignored them, I am pretty thick skinned and the dumb things they say are a form of amusement to me, I do not respond back I just let them ramble and realize they must be off their meds LOL
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on November 13, 2016 11:50AM
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    nordsavage wrote: »
    Fine the way it is. Maybe you shouldn't be so soft.

I'm not a big, tall and cool nord savage man. I'm just a tiny khajiit.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them, ignore, and move on. Staying in the location and feeling worse about it isn't helping anything, and is bound to actually make things worse. L2Report
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fine the way it is. Dont *** people off if you dont wanna deal with the consequences.

It is you, isn't it?
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this happen in Reaper's march?
    PC EU
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    Report them, ignore, and move on. Staying in the location and feeling worse about it isn't helping anything, and is bound to actually make things worse. L2Report

And yet you've complained about people bullying you. His complaint is valid.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I should be able to control what I see, via ignore, so should you.
    I should NOT be able to control what others see, via any means at all, neither should you.

Think about it, instead of responding to you they could just be saying bad things anyway and not be seen by you to report them - at their click, not yours.

You control you. I control me.
    The mods and hopefully responsive governance are what has to handle others.

IMO
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    I should be able to control what I see, via ignore, so should you.
    I should NOT be able to control what others see, via any means at all, neither should you.

Think about it, instead of responding to you they could just be saying bad things anyway and not be seen by you to report them - at their click, not yours.

You control you. I control me.
    The mods and hopefully responsive governance are what has to handle others.

IMO

That doesn't make any sense. I control what others see because I can type into chat whatever I want. Or not. By that logic there shouldn't be any kind of ingame chat at all.
    So yes, some people do need a thicker skin, but saying people need manners in return is mis-directed. the people getting ignored usually are the ones in need of manners, not the one saying get a thicker skin.

Those with the "thicker skin" comments are just the apologists of unsocial behavior. I feel that these people are also in need of some manners.
    The internet isn't some anarchist nightmare where everyone can do as they please and the others have to learn to live with it.