Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No ESO PS4 Pro Reviews?

• Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Unless im missing something, and there is some kind of way to activate the 1080p enhanced mode, then i am sorely disappointed....

My suspicion of ZOSs silence leading up to the pro's launch was not unfounded. Having spent the last hour playing ESO on the pro, the graphical improvements for the 1080p "enhanced" version are nigh unnoticeable..

All that extra power and they squander it. What a wash.....

I really hope im simply missing something here.

@exeeter702

Would you say it's just this game or are others also not popping or looking noticeably better?

Edit:
    Nevermind...seems by design with the PS4 pro that 1080p enhanced mode is still 4K but downsampled so it's not actually two different versions. Seems not to be an ESO issue but an overall experience (based on other games feedback today in articles)

What are you reaching for here? Everything that has a Pro patch looks "better", objectively, in 1080p or higher mode, unless you have a terrible tv or vision problems. We're also getting into the realm of variable, often unnoticeable to some effects, especially as pixel density increases. There's not much difference in the clarity of a 1440p image to a 4K image, and once we cross 4K the differences will be even harder to spot. Assets, physics and geometry will make the difference going forward, and none of that stuff will change this gen for Scorpio or the Pro, since they're just running prettier versions of pre-existing software built for lower-spec machines.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peekachu99 wrote: »
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    Unless im missing something, and there is some kind of way to activate the 1080p enhanced mode, then i am sorely disappointed....

My suspicion of ZOSs silence leading up to the pro's launch was not unfounded. Having spent the last hour playing ESO on the pro, the graphical improvements for the 1080p "enhanced" version are nigh unnoticeable..

All that extra power and they squander it. What a wash.....

I really hope im simply missing something here.

@exeeter702

Would you say it's just this game or are others also not popping or looking noticeably better?

Edit:
    Nevermind...seems by design with the PS4 pro that 1080p enhanced mode is still 4K but downsampled so it's not actually two different versions. Seems not to be an ESO issue but an overall experience (based on other games feedback today in articles)

What are you reaching for here? Everything that has a Pro patch looks "better", objectively, in 1080p or higher mode, unless you have a terrible tv or vision problems. We're also getting into the realm of variable, often unnoticeable to some effects, especially as pixel density increases. There's not much difference in the clarity of a 1440p image to a 4K image, and once we cross 4K the differences will be even harder to spot. Assets, physics and geometry will make the difference going forward, and none of that stuff will change this gen for Scorpio or the Pro, since they're just running prettier versions of pre-existing software built for lower-spec machines.

@Peekachu99
    What am I reaching for?
    -I was contemplating buying a PS4 Pro if the visuals in the upgraded games were noticeable.

I was hoping to understand if the improvements were closer to what my GTX260m laptop graphics were while playing on PC. Basically looking for what was considered "high" settings on PC prior to the direct x update.

What's I'm learning is that's not the direction ZOS is taking and it seems other developers aren't either but my inquisition is asking and not relying solely on articles but actual owners experiences.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 10, 2016 11:33PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its honestly hard to capture good quality screen shots, in the shots that i took, its hard to notice the differences.

Honestly during sunlight you may notice the lighting and shadows, as they are a bit more pronounced. I think it floats somewhere around the mid to high preset but something is lacking.

There is less shading in the foliage for one thing, so trees etc dont pop as much.

But for what its worth.....

http://imgur.com/a/nCVg7
    Edited by exeeter702 on November 10, 2016 11:40PM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I think I'll pass seems $599 will get my back on PC so that's the investment that I'm leaning towards
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I think I'll pass seems $599 will get my back on PC so that's the investment that I'm leaning towards

I'm pretty sure you've already written and concluded a narrative in your own head, but here you go anyway:

PS4 Standard:

2Ej0.jpg

jrb4.jpg

PS4 Pro:

3BJP.jpg

J0rb.jpg

I think the most important thing to note, too, is that I'm capped at a smooth 30 FPS while galloping through town at prime-time with rapid maneuvers on. You also can't appreciate the improved draw distance, negligible pop-in or stutter, or get the full benefit of HDR from screenshots. I tried to show it with the skyboxes, which are now so clear that you can see distant clouds and details on the mountains. A Pro/ Scorpio (the latter for you, I'm sure) upgrade is definitely worth the investment if you have a 4K set. You're only going to get rid of so much muddiness in 1080p.

I think ZoS did an amazing job. You can especially see clarity on the 2nd body image, which manages to retain every groove and shade of the armor. I tried to make the screens as matching as possible, but it's hard with pictures taken on two different devices. It looks even better on screen, too, since every photo has some degree of compression.

You're basically getting 4K/ 30 on high settings. Not bad at all. I can take additional shots over the next few days, and I'm sure the enhancements will shine in really elaborate settings. Let me know.

P.S. Ground clutter, foliage and especially shadows have been improved. You can kinda see it in the horse shots.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on November 11, 2016 12:28AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peekachu99

I'm just going to have to wait and see. I'm dissapointed that the PS4 pro doesn't have all "high and extremely high" settings as compared to PC.

Now considering the pro is waaaay more powerful than my old gaming PC the FPS are far more better but the visuals (in my opinion) still look that of the PS4 version.

For me selling new hardware for more pixels without giving you better visuals is a miss but I'm not saying it's Sony. I can't say it's ESO either cause I don't know but something isn't adding up based on my PC comparisons. And yes for sure top end PC always looks best but my PC wasn't top. It was 900P GTX 260m on a 17 inch that I also used HDMI to my hi def tv.

Sigh.....I don't know if the Xbox Scorpio is going to be better cause ZOS is the Dev who decides what switches get moved.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Peekachu99

I'm just going to have to wait and see. I'm dissapointed that the PS4 pro doesn't have all "high and extremely high" settings as compared to PC.

Now considering the pro is waaaay more powerful than my old gaming PC the FPS are far more better but the visuals (in my opinion) still look that of the PS4 version.

For me selling new hardware for more pixels without giving you better visuals is a miss but I'm not saying it's Sony. I can't say it's ESO either cause I don't know but something isn't adding up based on my PC comparisons. And yes for sure top end PC always looks best but my PC wasn't top. It was 900P GTX 260m on a 17 inch that I also used HDMI to my hi def tv.

Sigh.....I don't know if the Xbox Scorpio is going to be better cause ZOS is the Dev who decides what switches get moved.

The game is as pretty as it's going to get. What are you not seeing? I just said "high," though obviously the sliders are cranked up, and since I don't have an actual slider to reference, I went with that. There's not much more you can do without changing the assets themselves. The game doesn't look any better on my PC (but it plays at 60 FPS). I've pointed out numerous areas of improvement with visual proof. As usual, we've reached an impass.

I'm sure you will enjoy ESO on your preferred purchase when the time comes. Anyhow, off to play. Have a lovely evening.

P.S. Also, no more random black shadows of people or jittery loads. The performance tweaks are godly and reminiscent of PC.

***Last thing: you have to actually pinch/ zoom in on the pictures to see any differences. The resolution, foliage and texture bump is immediately apparent. Remember you're looking at this stuff on a 50+ inch screen.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on November 11, 2016 12:40AM
  • miahus
    miahus
    ✭✭
    Loading screen in Cyrodiil looks so good in 4k.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2nd day on the pro, no lag, no long loading screen, everything just looks nice, I'm glad for the upgrade.
    Edited by akl77 on November 11, 2016 1:28AM
    Pc na
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peekachu99

The game is as pretty as it's going to get. What are you not seeing? I just said "high," though obviously the sliders are cranked up, and since I don't have an actual slider to reference, I went with that. There's not much more you can do without changing the assets themselves. The game doesn't look any better on my PC (but it plays at 60 FPS). I've pointed out numerous areas of improvement with visual proof. As usual, we've reached an impass.

I'm sure you will enjoy ESO on your preferred purchase when the time comes. Anyhow, off to play. Have a lovely evening.

P.S. Also, no more random black shadows of people or jittery loads. The performance tweaks are godly and reminiscent of PC.

***Last thing: you have to actually pinch/ zoom in on the pictures to see any differences. The resolution, foliage and texture bump is immediately apparent. Remember you're looking at this stuff on a 50+ inch screen.

@Peekachu99

I don't know the specs and hardware on your PC but I'm comparing the photos to those on
    My PC taken from my ingame PC and there is an obvious difference. That being lesser which is definately a decision ZOS made that I disagree with because I know the PS4 pro is far more powerful. Now perhaps my ram and settings allow me to do More but even so my PC shouldn't look better. Let's be honest it's a gtx260m the PS4 is better.

I just don't know that the improvements are noticeable but I immediately noticed the downgrade when I went to Xbox one.

• Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Peekachu99

@Peekachu99

I don't know the specs and hardware on your PC but I'm comparing the photos to those on
    My PC taken from my ingame PC and there is an obvious difference. That being lesser which is definately a decision ZOS made that I disagree with because I know the PS4 pro is far more powerful. Now perhaps my ram and settings allow me to do More but even so my PC shouldn't look better. Let's be honest it's a gtx260m the PS4 is better.

I just don't know that the improvements are noticeable but I immediately noticed the downgrade when I went to Xbox one.

I have an i7-6700K, 980TI SLI, SSD, 32 GB RAM. I've explained this already, but you're never going to see the quality of a screenshot pulled from a compressed PS4 grab then uploaded to a (compression-heavy) file sharer, as you'll get from a .png or high rez .jpg off your PC. Don't really know what else to tell or show you since you just can't seem to see any difference when pretty much everyone else--including users chiming in on this thread with their own experience--can.

Let's just leave it at that since I know discussions with you can be circular and endlessly repetitive.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on November 11, 2016 1:46AM
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peekachu99

Here's what I'm saying. I'm not pixel counting and I'm not looking for flaws.

The differences should be absolutely obvious.
    It's not and therefore knowing with a lesser PC it can look a lot better at a glance it's a big let down for the PS4 pro

My wife who doesn't game and who could care less about any of this. I asked her to look at your photos and my PC and tell me which she felt was better. She has no idea what devices they're on she thinks she's telling me what photos to keep or delete.

She actually picked one PS4 and one of my old PC photos.
    That's all to say it's not noticeable differences.
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget guys, there may be more patches for the PS4 Pro in the future. This first patch may only be the beginning. I'm sure of it. There is no way Zeni will not add another update.

Sony added a better Cpu, gpu, faster ram and HDR support, in which can go a long way.

Even if visuals didn't change in ESO, the performance itself should be noticeably better.
    Edited by Eshelmen on November 11, 2016 2:35AM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Peekachu99

Here's what I'm saying. I'm not pixel counting and I'm not looking for flaws.

The differences should be absolutely obvious.
    It's not and therefore knowing with a lesser PC it can look a lot better at a glance it's a big let down for the PS4 pro

My wife who doesn't game and who could care less about any of this. I asked her to look at your photos and my PC and tell me which she felt was better. She has no idea what devices they're on she thinks she's telling me what photos to keep or delete.

She actually picked one PS4 and one of my old PC photos.
    That's all to say it's not noticeable differences.

Differences would be "absolutely" obvious on a 4K tv at 55 inches or higher. Did you put the photos on one of those? I doubt it. That you can't see the muddiness of the textures, foliage or armor in the PS4 basic shots is telling enough as to how sensitive you are to graphical enhancements.

You'd be better sticking with your old PC and a standard console of this gen.

The differences are pretty obvious to anyone that isn't you; that's what I'm saying. And I'm not trying to be argumentative or mean, but look at people who have responded, who have the hardware, and their insights, then examine your responses, as someone who's never seen the hardware in action, and ask yourself who knows better. Go check it out running in a store. That's your best bet at this point since nothing else will convince you otherwise.

Honestly, let's just wrap this up since I know there's no changing your mind once you've made it up and you just love to indulge in these truly inane conversations.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Peekachu99

A majority of the professional tech reviews are pointing out that there is absolutely no obvious difference. There are differences that most won't notice.

I'm tech savvy to understand and pull out differences but I'm sitting freaking 1 foot away from my PC screen
    There's no way my 42 or 65 inch will provide any differences at 8 to 10 feet away where my office is that I game in.

My point of view is that. Again I'm not a pixel counter. I'm looking for obvious differences and there are absolutely none.
    I've viewed these on my brand new iPhone plus, 42 inch 4K tv via dlna as well as a 1080p tv and my 17 inch PC

It's got to be an obvious thing and it's clear it's not at all.
    There's no way it makes sense to spend $599 (PS4 pro and game and accessories) for a subtitle difference that's circumstancial.

As I mentioned above I'll wait and get the Xbox one Scorpio details and either go back to a new PC or stay on Xbox one if the differences are subtitle on the Scorpio as well.

Do this. Go to three different sky shards and take a screen shot on the PS4 pro. Now do the exact same on PC with high or very high settings.

The consoles are washed out and not full of colors and lacking solidly textures that on PC make the shards look beautiful. I dont want those beam looking effects, I want the look of real sunlight reflecting ice and glass that I get on PC.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 11, 2016 2:55AM
  • ArgoCye
    ArgoCye
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's another discussion in the News channel when one user reports a lot more instability when PVPing.
  • BlanketFort
    BlanketFort
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too busy to check for sure if someone has Linked the neogaf comparisons for PS4 pro ESO on 1080p. So here it is:
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1308019&page=15
    (One just has to scroll a bit down but it's there ;) ) these comparisons are fairly hard to find online. Even after the launch. Really disappointing.

Back to work I go.
    Edited by BlanketFort on November 11, 2016 5:24AM
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://mobile.twitter.com/B999Chris

I'll make a new thread later, but those are a few more that really showcase the lighting, shadow and simple clarity changes. The performance improvement can't be overstated, either. Game runs better than it ever has on console.

You won't get the full impression unless you're viewing these on a 4K screen btw. But the smudgyness and duller tone of the 1080p stuff should be apparent (unless you're a certain person now on ignore).
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    Some posts have been removed from this thread for flaming.
    As noted in our Rules, its okay to disagree as long as the comments stay on topic and constructive.
    Please avoid any personal jabs or attacks to other users.
    Edited by ZOS_PeterT on November 11, 2016 1:42PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tested ESO how it works on 1080p TV on my PS pro ,
    Graphical improvements are NOT noticeable , however I noticed a lot more fps stability in large cyro battles than my regular ps4 , so for me the upgrade is worth the value , cant say about the 4k output tho , I hope the fps there will be stable aswell.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This post was very insightful and helpful. Thank you for taking time out of your day to wright it, I appreciate that. Might consider getting a Pro after reading this post.

• Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RouDeR wrote: »
    I just tested ESO how it works on 1080p TV on my PS pro ,
    Graphical improvements are NOT noticeable , however I noticed a lot more fps stability in large cyro battles than my regular ps4 , so for me the upgrade is worth the value , cant say about the 4k output tho , I hope the fps there will be stable aswell.

You're only going to see so much detail on a 1080p set, and that's depending on whether or not they downsampled. They might not have from the sound of it, in which case clarity won't be improved, and you won't notice those other flourishes.

4K ESO is another beast entirely, and I'm very happy with the results.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on November 11, 2016 3:34PM
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This post was very insightful and helpful. Thank you for taking time out of your day to wright it, I appreciate that. Might consider getting a Pro after reading this post.

No problem :) I've actually been touring around Tamriel looking for vistas and cool places to test foliage, light and shadows. I linked that Twitter to my Pro sharing, so I'll continue to upload images.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gah, I'm so torn. As some of you know from my other thread, I was planning on making the switch from PC to console. I confirmed that decision last night when I died from hardware lag in the middle of freaking Auridon on an alt, nowhere near a major hub. It looks like the graphical improvements between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro aren't absolutely massive (about what I was expecting, really), but the performance improvements might be...

For those of you getting smooth 30 FPS in towns at prime time on the Pro: what are towns like at prime time on the standard PS4? Do you get an annoying, yet manageable amount of stutter (i.e. what you'd get with 20-25 FPS on PC), or are you getting an unplayable 10-15 FPS or so? If it's the former, I might still go with the standard PS4. If it's the latter, though, I may have to suck it up and spend the extra $120 (even though I'd really rather not).
  • Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    Gah, I'm so torn. As some of you know from my other thread, I was planning on making the switch from PC to console. I confirmed that decision last night when I died from hardware lag in the middle of freaking Auridon on an alt, nowhere near a major hub. It looks like the graphical improvements between the PS4 and the PS4 Pro aren't absolutely massive (about what I was expecting, really), but the performance improvements might be...

For those of you getting smooth 30 FPS in towns at prime time on the Pro: what are towns like at prime time on the standard PS4? Do you get an annoying, yet manageable amount of stutter (i.e. what you'd get with 20-25 FPS on PC), or are you getting an unplayable 10-15 FPS or so? If it's the former, I might still go with the standard PS4. If it's the latter, though, I may have to suck it up and spend the extra $120 (even though I'd really rather not).

The only places i have issues with on the PS4 are Mournhold and Elden Root. Can be truly awful at times. For example, can take an age for the pull up map screen and workstation options to fully load in Mournhold, and in Elden Root, it's just laggy. I don't hang around there as I have never liked Elden Root.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only places i have issues with on the PS4 are Mournhold and Elden Root. Can be truly awful at times. For example, can take an age for the pull up map screen and workstation options to fully load in Mournhold, and in Elden Root, it's just laggy. I don't hang around there as I have never liked Elden Root.

Yeah, those locations -- Elden Root especially -- are a nightmare for me on PC as well. We're talking steady 15 FPS, dropping down to 5-10 FPS when folks spam AOEs for the heck of it. And that was BEFORE One Tamriel! I haven't even dared to venture back to Elden Root in the past little while, given that my average FPS dropped by about 15-20 after the update and that it now takes a ridiculously long time for stuff to load in most towns.

What's Rawl'kha like on PS4 at prime time? Also a laggy mess, or is it manageable?
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah, those locations -- Elden Root especially -- are a nightmare for me on PC as well. We're talking steady 15 FPS, dropping down to 5-10 FPS when folks spam AOEs for the heck of it. And that was BEFORE One Tamriel! I haven't even dared to venture back to Elden Root in the past little while, given that my average FPS dropped by about 15-20 after the update and that it now takes a ridiculously long time for stuff to load in most towns.

What's Rawl'kha like on PS4 at prime time? Also a laggy mess, or is it manageable?

It's locked 30 most of the time, even dashing from end to end of Mournhold in the evening. Even in a three Ilamdris-wearer dungeon, the FPS was steady. Haven't seen much that cripples it.

Gonna do a post in a bit with my screenshots and experience.
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The only places i have issues with on the PS4 are Mournhold and Elden Root. Can be truly awful at times. For example, can take an age for the pull up map screen and workstation options to fully load in Mournhold, and in Elden Root, it's just laggy. I don't hang around there as I have never liked Elden Root.[/quote]

They are absolutely massive. I'm not sure where this narrative started unless you mean 1080p Pro mode.
    Edited by Peekachu99 on November 11, 2016 9:50PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are absolutely massive. I'm not sure where this narrative started unless you mean 1080p Pro mode.

Yes, I meant in 1080p. :) I don't plan on buying a 4k TV anytime soon, so the biggest graphical improvements associated with the PS4 Pro would be lost on me. That being said, I definitely do see improvements in the images that have been posted (more clarity, less smudging, better lighting, etc). They're not drastic enough on their own to compel me to purchase the PS4 Pro, but the graphical improvements combined with performance improvements might convince me otherwise, esp. if performance isn't great on the PS4 currently (I've never played the game on PS4, so I'm relying on folks to be honest here about the comparison before I go ahead and drop an extra $120).
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first impressions are good, I've had less lag than I normally get, the colours and the sharpness is very impressive and the game just looks so much better. That's on 4K settings with a 4K HDR Samsung.

I did however get a little bit of input lag, but using the wire to connect the controller solved that.
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP