Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[ANSWERED] vMSA Double Loot - Trying to Prove that the RNJesus is skewed

covenant_merchant
covenant_merchant
✭✭✭✭✭
Before the vMSA double loot, I had done about two hundred runs of vMSA. 203 to be exact (yes, I count them). I'm not very good at it, my best personal score is about 524k, which hasn't been enough for the weekly since DB hit, and it takes me roughly 1 hour to get it done on a magicka sorc.
Of these two hundred runs, I have never gotten an Inferno staff, not even a bad trait, and so I gave up after awhile.
With this double loot event, I've decided to give vMSA another shot and farm the hell out of it.

People say that the chances to drop BiS items and crap are equivalent. I am willing to give ZOS and their "distribution tables" a chance and believe very hard, while posting screenshots of the loot I get as I farm it.

Keep in mind that good traits do make a difference for both PvE and PvP. While in PvE, a precise staff can do if you're in a really awesome group and the boss is debuffed with every conceivable debuff there is, Sharpened is still BiS. As for PvP, any trait other than Sharpened is crap, given all heavy armor users.

At any rate, here goes nothing. Will update with every run, and believe me, I have a lot of time on my hands right now.

FIRST RUN:
Screenshot_20161107_185955.png (First Inferno staff ever, and complete garbage).
Screenshot_20161107_190000.png

SECOND RUN
:
Screenshot_20161107_185332.png
Screenshot_20161107_185335.png

Edited by covenant_merchant on December 2, 2016 5:05PM
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    3 charged lul, i did a run before work, 1 nirnhoned mace and interestingly enuff 1 charged resto.. hope there isn't just a ton of charged *** stacked in these chests
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
    Options
  • Paneross
    Paneross
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This crap is the reason I quit doing VMA. Too time consuming to get horrible rewards.
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : THIRD RUN
    Screenshot_20161107_213507.png

Screenshot_20161107_213509.png

FOURTH RUN

Screenshot_20161107_230437.png

Screenshot_20161107_230446.png

In other terms, still crap.
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 7, 2016 10:11PM
    Options
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    EDIT: First run. ( during event )

IMG_2795.jpg

sharpen/precise

Rage was real on twitch I tell ya LOL
    Edited by Lukums1 on November 7, 2016 10:24PM
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lukums1 OMG
    giphy_12.gif
    Options
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    kasa-obake wrote: »

I no... if I could I would.

Had like 17 people lose their minds. lol
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

Options
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say that the chances to drop BiS items and crap are equivalent. While I wish it were true, I'll just post screenshots of the loot I get as I farm it. Keep in mind that good traits do make a difference for both PvE and PvP. While in PvE, a precise staff can do if you're in a really awesome group and the boss is debuffed with every conceivable debuff there is, Sharpened is still BiS. As for PvP, any trait other than Sharpened is crap, given all heavy armor users.

Beeeeasss. BS. It's players who say what's "crap" and what's not. If you don't like some traits or some weapon types - it's your personal sexual problem. What people say is that the chances to drop every item-trait combination are equivalent.

And so far your "data" doesn't prove it wrong. You got 4 different item-trait combos, so yes so far it appears that people are right. But then again - insufficient data. Maybe players should unite and compare their loot. Or better someone should make an addon that saves the vMA loot of everyone who installed it (and maybe even dynamically calculates the percentage of a certain trait-item combo kinda like MM does with the price).
    p.s. after update - still combos are different.

Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »
    People say that the chances to drop BiS items and crap are equivalent. While I wish it were true, I'll just post screenshots of the loot I get as I farm it. Keep in mind that good traits do make a difference for both PvE and PvP. While in PvE, a precise staff can do if you're in a really awesome group and the boss is debuffed with every conceivable debuff there is, Sharpened is still BiS. As for PvP, any trait other than Sharpened is crap, given all heavy armor users.

Beeeeasss. BS. It's players who say what's "crap" and what's not. If you don't like some traits or some weapon types - it's your personal sexual problem. What people say is that the chances to drop every item-trait combination are equivalent.

And so far your "data" doesn't prove it wrong. You got 4 different item-trait combos, so yes so far it appears that people are right. But then again - insufficient data. Maybe players should unite and compare their loot. Or better someone should make an addon that saves the vMA loot of everyone who installed it (and maybe even dynamically calculates the percentage of a certain trait-item combo kinda like MM does with the price).
    p.s. after update - still combos are different.

Mhhh a sample of 4 doesn't prove anything apart from potential to rage, true. Which is why I plan on updating it with every run. As for traits, all traits are equal, but some traits are more equal than others, paraphrasing Orwell.
    Empirically, Sharpened is the best for PvE end-game, unless, as I said previously, the boss is fully debuffed. Then Precise is good.
    For PvP, Sharpened is Best in Slot. Crit doesn't mean much, given that most players wear impen, and Defending, while good for tanking I suppose, makes you loose a lot of damage. There's a reason why Spriggan and Spinner are so popular at the moment; Sharpened is way too good to pass up.

As far as restoration staves are concerned, Precise > Powered. But then again, vMSA restoration staves are only marginally useful on DPS characters. Healers would prefer vDSA staves for a more interesting bonus, or aether/spell power cure staves with 1 Kena pauldron since more spell damage = more heals.

I could go on and on, but some traits are just inferior and overall useless. Charged and Powered on destro staves? It's garbage
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update :

FIFTH RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_012348.png

Screenshot_20161108_012352.png

SIXTH RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_030102.png

Screenshot_20161108_030107.png

Still complete garbage...
    Options
  • Alanar
    Alanar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've tracked 48 VMA drops, and I can confirm that the 12 weapons do not drop evenly (p < 0.02). My sample is most consistent with each TYPE of weapon having a 1/6 chance, so dagger/axe share, mace/sword share, all three 2H weapons share, and all three destruction staves share, while bows and restoration staves each have their own chance. So your chances of getting a specific weapon are:

Bow - 1/6
    Restoration Staff - 1/6

Dagger - 1/12
    Sword - 1/12
    Mace - 1/12
    Axe - 1/12

Greatsword - 1/18
    Battle Axe - 1/18
    Maul - 1/18
    Lightning Staff - 1/18
    Frost Staff - 1/18
    Fire Staff - 1/18

So if you're hunting a sharpened fire staff, you have a 1/18 chance of getting a fire staff at all, and a 1/8 chance of getting sharpened, for a total chance of 1/144 on each drop. Because of how RNG works, that means after 100 runs, you have only a 50/50 chance at having gotten any particular 2H or destruction staff.
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alanar Thanks for posting this. I mean it's really depressing but nonetheless, thank you for your opinion. @ZOS_RichLambert why? Why would you do such a thing, and why even bother with destro powered/charged staves? While your attempt at making all traits viable was welcome, they are still crap compared to sharpened. Please consider bringing back the old vMSA drops - sharpened - precise - defending. Nobody wants your "new improved" traits, they're completely useless.

Update : SEVENTH RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_055951.png

Screenshot_20161108_055952.png

This last run took ages since I forgot to equip Ilambris x2. Meaning that I had only 5 armor pieces and actually did the arena until Stage 9 inb4 realizing my mistake. (All the while raging about lack of damage / regen). At any rate, it is 5am. I am tired and mad and once again losing faith in this game and the goodwill and benevolence of @ZOS_RichLambert .
    Options
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Alanar Thanks for posting this. I mean it's really depressing but nonetheless, thank you for your opinion. @ZOS_RichLambert why? Why would you do such a thing, and why even bother with destro powered/charged staves? While your attempt at making all traits viable was welcome, they are still crap compared to sharpened. Please consider bringing back the old vMSA drops - sharpened - precise - defending. Nobody wants your "new improved" traits, they're completely useless.

Update : SEVENTH RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_055951.png

Screenshot_20161108_055952.png

This last run took ages since I forgot to equip Ilambris x2. Meaning that I had only 5 armor pieces and actually did the arena until Stage 9 inb4 realizing my mistake. (All the while raging about lack of damage / regen). At any rate, it is 5am. I am tired and mad and once again losing faith in this game and the goodwill and benevolence of @ZOS_RichLambert .

That's nothing imagine me streaming last night DURING THE WORST RUN OF MY LIFE ON MY SORC.

Took me an hour and 10 deaths... then... realized something.

Because I was healing trials an hour before hand, I had 100 into blessed!!! NO ELEMENTAL DAMAGE in blue tree GG.
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion

Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lukums1 ahaha rekt.
    Yeah I used to keep my CP in a PvP fashion. 1.5k crit resist was worth it in vMSA.
    But this time, I really took my arena farm very seriously. Switched CP, morphs of skills, upgraded my gear.. and all that to do the arena with 3 light - 1 medium - 1 heavy piece only, and *** on TS about lack of sustain.
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I did 8 runs yesterday (4 of which were 4 chars that I played to stage 9 prior to event to directly get loot) and I got 6 shield and board(two of those double drops!), 2 resto staffs (which is in line with the above calculation), 2 ice staffs, a decisive dagger, a precise axe(only worthwhile one), a charged maul, 2 powered bows and a nirnhoned lightning staff. Yeah, 6 hours well spent.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
    Options
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already know the table is skewed and so does ZOS. It is just the way it is and they will not change it. Just be glad drops are 100% chance now and double that for a few weeks. It is time to accept the fact that you are gonna have 50+ resto staffs before your vMA career is over.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : EIGHT RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_130700.png

Screenshot_20161108_130701.png

giphy_13.gif
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 8, 2016 12:12PM
    Options
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm so glad I just did normal once, hated it and never went back, the thought of slogging through vet for that lot would made my blood boil :D
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when did we get double loot in maelstrom?? Have I missed something?
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Qbiken from the 7th to 21st for the Orsinium anniversary. Every node, chest, loot in Wrothgar is doubled, including vMSA chests. Though given Zos' love for stupid, useless traits, it mostly serves as a rage fuel than anything else.
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : NINTH RUN
    Screenshot_20161108_153917.png

Screenshot_20161108_153925.png
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 8, 2016 2:41PM
    Options
  • Kr3do
    Kr3do
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want just join the TS and i can play the sad violin sound for you :3
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Kr3do *** off bae. I'm in Moscow atm, can't go TS at any rate.
    giphy_14.gif
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : TENTH RUN

Screenshot_20161108_184543.png

Screenshot_20161108_184536.png

Current mood:
    giphy_15.gif
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 8, 2016 5:52PM
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Keep going. I've done 14 runs today in total. Got both bis staves on the last one. Sharp inferno and lit staff. Keep at it.

Not to get you to try this. But I was doing it on my Sorc over and over and got nothing but trash... took my DK in and after a long struggle boom they both dropped. I do belive the more you run it the worse the drops get. I had that before when farming it all I got winterborn helms over and over. Left it 48hrs and a sharp dagger dropped.

Try another toon out of curiosity.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I'm doing it alternating on three chars, and all get utter crap, so char switching doesn't help there...
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DRXHarbinger I've followed your advice and went on my EP char. And guess what ?

11th RUN:
    Screenshot_20161108_211626.png

Screenshot_20161108_211629.png

So far, out of 22 loots, I've had 1 sharpened trait dropped. And it was on the only freaking item that is useless - restoration staff. This sample is still probably quite small, but goddamit @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_RichLambert can you please make a statement about the trait drop? Just so I have something to hold you up on.

Better even, would it be possible to explain the reasoning behind "Powered" Destruction (aka offensive) staves.. I'm really curious. I get that you're hyped about hybrid builds and what not, but this doesn't even fit a hybrid. It fits nothing, it's superfluous, unnecessary and unwanted, and it ruins the gaming experience for a lot of players.
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 8, 2016 8:22PM
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: 12th RUN

Screenshot_20161108_232902.png

Screenshot_20161108_232905.png

Screenshot_20161108_232919.png
    Edited by covenant_merchant on November 8, 2016 10:40PM
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : 13th RUN

Screenshot_20161109_113202.png

Screenshot_20161109_113204.png

Verdict:
    Screenshot_20161109_113300.png
    Options
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    Loot pool is so big and diluted. Could do 500 runs and get unlucky and not get wanted drop. ZOS needs to drop the 9 traits system if the only plan to have 1 so much better than the others. Make 3-4 really viable.
    PS4 NA
    Options
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: 14th RUN

Screenshot_20161109_184357.png

Screenshot_20161109_184358.png

15th RUN
    Screenshot_20161109_214455.png

Screenshot_20161109_214458.png

Screenshot_20161109_214504.png