Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tempering Alloys

wellerrocks
wellerrocks
✭✭
They seem way too hard to get.

Farmed for 2 hours, got 400 rubedite and with all passives didn't get any. All costing loads and they are in short supply on PS4.

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There´s a 1/200 droprate in case you didn´t know.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that if I start refining mats and don't get any tempers for the first 3 or 4 operations, I am not going to get much of any tempers, and hence the gold ones, for the rest. Now, if I don't get any for the first 3, I leave the station and go do something else and try again later (same station or another one does not matter). If I get tempers in the first 3, then I will continue to refine. I still have to on average do about 100/150 raw mats to get gold tempers, but the chance to get a gold is much better if your getting any tempers on more operations than less. I have done too many 400+ stacks and gotten bupkiss thinking the Temper train is going to leave the station.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get more gold tempers refining jute rawhide and iron ore than rubedite, silk, and rubedeo.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • wellerrocks
    wellerrocks
    ✭✭
    I'm spending countless hours trying, and not getting anything! How can i find lower level things if it all scales now?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm spending countless hours trying, and not getting anything! How can i find lower level things if it all scales now?

Roll a Mule character and have them farm. Basically, now you have to build a character to farm the mats you want. I have removed the material passive from all my non crafting characters even those who have maxed out crafting. This way half the mats I get are of a different level.

Just to let you know, it was more than a year before i made a full set of gear in Gold. Also, Purple Armor is just fine, its the Gold Weapons you want to have. The difference between full Purple and Full Gold Armor (including Enchants) is about 500 of an Attribute (depending on how many Infused Pieces you run) and 5 to 10 points of a bonus boost. You can see exactly how much by queing the item up and looking at the before and after stats. It's not very much. In fact, it is a depressingly small difference.

In other words, if your getting killed in Purple gear, making it Gold is not going to make things better for you.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wellerrocks
    wellerrocks
    ✭✭
    Yeh I know mate, I just need them for gold weapons. Mate has the same build as me and he has gold, gives him about 200 more damage. Cant even find them on any guild stores etc sp
  • SaRuZ
    SaRuZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see temp alloys in guild traders quite often. They go for 20k+. I sold two I had for 20k each and now have another one I picked up doing daily writs. That's three total in a month's time, deconning, refining and doing daily writs. Scary odds.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    crafting writs? rewards
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 170+ in the bank. I don't see the problem :^)
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get a MUCH better chance with writs than refining.
  • wellerrocks
    wellerrocks
    ✭✭

hmu anytime;)
  • Brokensocket
    Brokensocket
    ✭✭✭

Can i have 4?
    PSN: Spaztik_89
  • Brokensocket
    Brokensocket
    ✭✭✭
    Spaztik_89
    PSN: Spaztik_89
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Farmed for 2 hours, got 400 rubedite and with all passives didn't get any. All costing loads and they are in short supply on PS4.

Odds are 5% (1 out of 20) on any refinement. In other words, 95% chance (19 out of 20) of not getting a Tempering Alloy from a refinement.

People think this means that if they do 20 refinements, they should almost certainly get an Alloy. If they do not, they had the worst luck ever or something is going on and RNG is broken. That is not how probabilities work.

200 rubedite ore is 20 refinements.

0.95 ^ 20 = ~36%

That is, more than a 1 in 3 chance that you will get no Alloy from refining 200 rubedite. Even though the return rate is 1 per 200 ore.

400 rubedite ore is 40 refinements.

0.95 ^ 40 = ~13%

So you had about a 13% of not getting an Alloy 40 times in a row. More than 1 in 8.

Bad luck? Yep. But not the 1 in a million bad luck people think it is. If 1000 people all refined 400 rubedite last night, about 127 people were in the same situation as you. You are more likely to get an Alloy than not get one from refining 400 ore, but not getting one is nowhere near as rare as people think it is.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I have noticed that if I start refining mats and don't get any tempers for the first 3 or 4 operations, I am not going to get much of any tempers, and hence the gold ones, for the rest. Now, if I don't get any for the first 3, I leave the station and go do something else and try again later (same station or another one does not matter). If I get tempers in the first 3, then I will continue to refine. I still have to on average do about 100/150 raw mats to get gold tempers, but the chance to get a gold is much better if your getting any tempers on more operations than less. I have done too many 400+ stacks and gotten bupkiss thinking the Temper train is going to leave the station.

I may have to try this. Thanks for that idea!
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, i agree with your observation. i too am having the same exact effect.
    zero
  • Hurika
    Hurika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I refined 2000 rebedite this week and got 0 gold tempers.

.95 ^ 200 = .0035% chance of that happening.

And yes, everything in blacksmithing was maxed out.
    Edited by Hurika on October 28, 2016 4:49PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurika wrote: »

That worries me
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Calboy
    Calboy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yellow mats are far too hard to get, it discourages experimentation with different builds and having different setups for different situations. I'm not asking for easy mode tempers but I wish it wasn't so hard to just get one thing golded.
  • blaze1442
    blaze1442
    I have no problems getting them ps4 had 1k ore got 40 or so alloys
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blaze1442 wrote: »
    I have no problems getting them ps4 had 1k ore got 40 or so alloys

Must be a nice rnjesus on playstation.
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭

I feel this way about Perfect Roe!
    i am lucky with ally and get about 10-15 a week in about 10 hours of weekly play time.
    so what i been doing is selling 50% of my alloy at 25K each and buying PR at 15K.

which has been working well for me!
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes something weird with rng recently. Some days you get a run of having loads, then I have just done max writs today and got shipments of iron ore and birch!

Seems all or nothing

Only ever had 2 alloys in 3 months of playing
    Edited by Suter1972 on October 29, 2016 9:12AM
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • The_Protagonist
    The_Protagonist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is OT messing with RNG, or is this somehow related to the upcoming gamble crates?
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That worries me

unhander_2 wrote: »
    Is OT messing with RNG, or is this somehow related to the upcoming gamble crates?

I refined 260 last night and got 2 alloys on PC NA. I'll admit that it was lucky, but The conspiracies about it linking with the crown crates needs to stop.

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    There´s a 1/200 droprate in case you didn´t know.

Hell nah i refined almost a thousand a few days ago and got 1 alloy!!!
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys get alloys from writs anymore? I've done over 20 of each writ since the update. 6 Rosin, 5 wax and 0 temp alloys. On xb1.
    Edited by Toast_STS on October 30, 2016 3:09AM
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Typical. After cursing the rng gods, I've just done 4 max lvl writs and got a temp alloy and a dreugh in the same turn in of writs.

As I said, all or nothing...
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want to make a note about the current state of Tempering Alloy prices in guild stores:

Utter nonsense.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting purple and gold tempers more often recently when I refine ore/raw mats. Not even huge stacks; I got a gold off 27 rubedite ore, purple off a dozen ancestor silk. Unless the rng gremlins decided to finally give me a break, the tempers have been better recently.