Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

If you could design your own dungeon main boss... which would it be?

raidentenshu_ESO
raidentenshu_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
After watching this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quphpCu-W0k
The frogs are the main bosses while the white crickets are us the players.

It came to mind that a giant size frog would be perfect for a main boss. It would be daedric looking that is. The main focus is to try to avoid getting eaten, and if you do you get ported into the stomach of the frog. Once inside the time clock starts ticking away. You must figure out how to make the frog puke you out by fighting off ads among other things. If you don't you die (you get digested and become frog poop).
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just control+c/control+v everything from Dark Souls series.

For real tho, I like the bosses design in ESO, perharps I'd go with something like a team fight with copy of your party with the same skills and gear.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooo... a main boss? I totally would go with a tentacle monster that -[censored, Censored, frigging CENSORED and get a slap for that dirty mind too!]-
    Okay, maybe not that. :p;)

On a more serious note... I really like it when the boss mobs are not just roughly normal-sized enemies with increased hit points and special combat situations, but something that makes people go "WOW", when they first see it. As such I am all for special visuals just for the boss...

What I would love to see was a giant dwemer construct shaped like a dragon. I mean, the dwemer build their centurions in humanoid form, so why not build constructs patterned after dragons? I can imagine it... chainsaw claws, a magicka furnace powering boiling hot steam breath, eyes shooting electrobolts... and a striking maw that -has- to be avoided or its insta-death as it bites even the most heavily armored tank in half...
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knight Artorias. (from Dark Souls)
    Literally steal the idea, make it ESO-like, and call it something else.

A highly mobile, humanoid boss would be make an awesome and difficult twist for the last boss of a dungeon/trial. Hard mode would disable taunting.

maxresdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20160705014826
    Knight+artorias.jpeg
    6f35a2be1f135a14cb5a88dde132860f.jpg
    b2dd052b8d9ffc8bc5ab2fdcbd85c9ae.jpg

Edited by Vaoh on September 27, 2016 6:56AM
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would make Wrobel. He would put nerfs on all magicka based builds and use uncleansible poisonous. Light attacks will hit you for 20k and he occasionally animation cancels his attack. He also can't be aggrod and go's into the execute phase at 80% HP.

Dont ask for a nerf though, they'll buff him instead.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    a huge dragon or at least a huge daedric titan would be fine for me :)
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely have a thematic idea for a boss, with plenty of bright lights and dark darkness. Dualism, think of the Twins in MOL. So, the Arena's a circle, with a Dark and Light side (just visual).

The boss herself wouldn't do too much damage, but she'd force you to manage resources and pay attention by doing things similar in gravity to Dusk Portal Events. Except in this case, it'd be a forced Break Free or Dodge Roll.

Boss basically ports around, attacking with Light and Dark orbs (no difference in damage or effects), and if you get too close, she'll unleash a strong (but avoidable) close range Dual Templar Spear combo, then start a melee dps mode, until teleport event activates.

Occasionally, boss will mark person for death, and unleash a strong AOE down on target, so before it strikes you from the sky, you need to run away from allies, and when it goes off, roll dodge out of AOE.

After X amount of time, she teleports, and wherever she lands (she won't land in center, so you can just book it over there) she'll do an AOE attack that instakills (really only punishes bad positioning; no reason to die to it with a coordinated player)

Then, after Y amount of time, when she teleports, she teleports to center, and CCs the team, and you need to Break Free within 3 seconds or she just kills you. So you'd have to make sure you have enough stamina to do that, also ZOS would have to make sure Break Free is 100% reliable ;_;.

She also teleports during fight, which she'd do constantly to keep a group from being able to just stack, burn, and ignore mechanics. Boss would teleport to 1 of 8 locations, occuring in a circle of its own (think Rakkat Platforms)

Then, at 25%, she hits execute phase, and her inner spirit gets released, in the form of a powerful Dremora, who goes just goes and wrecks you. After boss goes up in a bright light, and releases her inner half, the new boss charges at you, forcing you to roll or block, then you have to burn him (boss kind of changes genders, not really though). He'll do more damage the more the fight goes on, but he won't CC or anything, just put out a lot of damage in a short amount of time.

Activating Hard Mode would make first phase of the boss much more quickly paces, speeding up her teleport time, CC event time, increasing damage and health. Then, when HM boss hits Execute Phase, you still have to deal with main boss alongside Dremora burn boss. To win fight, you only need to kill burn boss.

A few things could be done to increase or decrease difficulty of fight if need be, but the big challenge of the fight would be managing Stamina, so fight might be in favor of Stamina builds. But there'd defintely be enough time between CC events for a magicka build to have stamina to Break Free. Magicka builds may want to manage their potion cooldowns in case they have to dodge roll a few times, and won't have enough stamina to break free.

You can read my inspiration for this in my signature, in my story link. I won't force you to read everything, so my thoughts came from the final parts of the last two books in it.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »
    Just control+c/control+v everything from Dark Souls series.

For real tho, I like the bosses design in ESO, perharps I'd go with something like a team fight with copy of your party with the same skills and gear.

I'd second this. Fighting a mirror image of yourself with the same skills you've got slotted would be epic!
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My boss would put you in a bubble,then shrink the bubble.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would make Wrobel. He would put nerfs on all magicka based builds and use uncleansible poisonous. Light attacks will hit you for 20k and he occasionally animation cancels his attack. He also can't be aggrod and go's into the execute phase at 80% HP.

Uncalled for. Totally uncalled for.

Don't turn a fun thread into a hate thread.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »

He made him into a boss not a training dummy, how is that hateful?
    Edited by Mojmir on September 27, 2016 8:15AM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A highly mobile, humanoid boss would be make an awesome and difficult twist for the last boss of a dungeon/trial. Hard mode would disable taunting.

maxresdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20160705014826
    Knight+artorias.jpeg

@Vaoh ,
    When I saw the title of the OP,
    My first thought was also Dark Souls kind of bosses :)
    It is more like duelling 1vs1, but then with a strong NPC.

But they would fit less in the group orientated game ESO is, the kind of mechanics ESO has with mobs included.

For players that like solo/duo, or solo with a NPC companion,
    and like epic combat with a boss that is difficult to hit at all, where playing skills are everything,

instead of the bursting down with min-maxed builds to the last 1% improvement
    with close to 100% uptime/efficiency of the DPS rotation

I would really welcome that ESO would add some of those bosses <3
    not as part of a Trial or Pledge, but like World Bosses and instanced for a group,
    to make sure that if you want to, you can indeed solo/duo and you can chooce to take the companion or not.

Edited by hrothbern on September 27, 2016 8:41AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate? Seems like a challenging boss to fight. If I was hating I would just call him names, but I don't have any problems with him. Dark souls bosses are worse to fight then this.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20160705014826
    Knight+artorias.jpeg

@Vaoh ,

But they would fit less in the group orientated game ESO is, the kind of mechanics ESO has with mobs included.

and like epic combat with a boss that is difficult to hit at all, where playing skills are everything,

not as part of a Trial or Pledge, but like World Bosses and instanced for a group,
    to make sure that if you want to, you can indeed solo/duo and you can chooce to take the companion or not.

YES! Someone who understands! :)

Vet Maelstrom is unfortunateIy just a massive DPS race :disappointed:

I think it would be awesome to have a similar boss to Dark Souls in a new dungeon, despite the group element.

Take the Ivory King for example. An epic fight you could do with multiple players. Dark Souls also had those Duo bosses where you fight two separate bosses at once.

ESO could learn from Dark Souls a bit!

His entrance was godly......
    burnt_ivory_king_by_vulpes_ibculta-d83wz25.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20150501011658
    And that massive Icy enxhant on his blade. The memories.... :no_mouth:
    Edited by Vaoh on September 27, 2016 8:49AM
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a more serious note;

I would like to make a boss from the lore. Maybe fight trough a dungeon like oblivion was after you got trough a portal. Then fight dagon in his demon form like you've also seen him in oblivion. I would find it really cool to have dungeons dedicated to different daedic prince's where you'd fight them at the end.

But I wouldn't like to have them be a DPS race, I really liked the maganics of the MaL bosses. Tactics and strategies are the most enjoyable in bosses. I hope they do that with the new vet versions of the dungeons as well!
  • Aetherderius
    Aetherderius
    ✭✭✭✭
    tldr - The Shade of Morihaus - a giant black-ghost Minotaur.

A remnant of times past, magic forgotten, and a hero of a land now conflicted. The legendary son of Kynareth and the husband of Alessia, MORIHAUS has returned to Tamriel. But he is as separated as the land he once defended. Fight alongside the shattered spirit of the Winged Man-Bull to defeat his dark remains and restore balance to the heavens.

So yeah. A massive expansive Ayleid/Imperial dungeon filled with ghosts, minotaurs, and Kyne based magic. Mini bosses consist of a Land Dreugh, a proto-Imperial warrior raised from the dead (wearing a unicorn-skin helmet), and then the Big Bad himself - the Shade of Morihaus. The allied portion of Morihaus, who doesn't really do anything through the previous fights, tried to fuse back with his other half, but it goes wrong and the Shade becomes stronger. And like 10 times as big.

Roar Attack dislodges stalactites from the ceiling that will drop directly onto players, like Velidreth's climb up thing.
    Bray of Shadow releases shadow orbs all over the ground, so avoid those.
    At 50% health Shade will invoke the name of Kynareth and looses Bray of Shadow for Winged Sweep, where he'll knock everyone back unless you're blocking.
    He wields a Minotaur axe, which he may throw at any player if not aggro-ed.

Drops [Headpiece of Morihaus] - a pitted, rusted Minotaur helmet
    1 piece - max health
    2 piece - Wings of Kynareth - when hit by a critical hit, 20% chance to gain a knockback shield

Quest ends when Shade is defeated and Morihaus's light side regains control. He shrinks a bit, to about half the size of the Shade and leaves for Aetherius, thanking you for restoring him and quelling the dark forces in the ruin.

I dunno. I love Minotaurs and I feel like Morihaus would be the perfect dungeon boss. I mean the motif already lets us wear a minotaur's head, so wouldn't it be cool to have a demi-god's head?
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »

maxresdefault.jpg
    latest?cb=20160705014826
    Knight+artorias.jpeg

@Vaoh ,

YES! Someone who understands! :)

Vet Maelstrom is unfortunateIy just a massive DPS race :disappointed:

I think it would be awesome to have a similar boss to Dark Souls in a new dungeon, despite the group element.

Take the Ivory King for example. An epic fight you could do with multiple players. Dark Souls also had those Duo bosses where you fight two separate bosses at once.

ESO could learn from Dark Souls a bit!

Playing Dark Souls now and then massively improves your playing skills in ESO, especially for PVP.
    And perhaps @ZOS_Finn , or his co Dungeon designers do play Dark Souls now and then ;)
    It is also a matter how to fit it in.
    Being a good DD in a raid group is not that compatible with surviving a DS kind of boss.

It is like adding another dimension in the game !
    And perhaps in the eyes of ZOS as something to add when the base concept of ESO needs some fresh blood.

What would also be nice is that Hybrid and Stamina builds can ALSO be good in this kind of PVE content.
    In ESO Raids casting your Shield just before the big boss damage comes, enables a Magicka build to continue his DPS output, making it easier for Magicka builds to stay viable as group member in the raid DPS race.
    In Dark Souls fights re-positioning by Mobility and Roll Dodges are crucial. Both for survival as for landing more hits.

Edited by hrothbern on September 27, 2016 9:00AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, what I am sick of is that every single final boss is only 'one'.

I mean I would see a group of bosses that act as a "final boss". And I dream about fighting with enhanced versions of atronachs of each element: storm, fire and frost. All of them with slightly different look than their normal equivalents and with new powers and abilities.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark souls and bloodborn bosses!
    Huge in boss size, massive impact, requiring dodge, rolling and skills!
    Pc na
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more lame machanics like wgt portal machanics boss or mazzatun and cradle of shadow machanics to learn.
    Dark souls and bloodborn bosses don't have machanics to learn, just pure timing and skills of dodge and roll.
    Pc na
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/YZe0r1rHg4Y?t=39

Bosses that copy the looks and stats of players.

I know... I'm a sadist.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or summoning four players as boss round in a 4 man dungeon like dark souls or demon souls did.
    Pc na
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep into the north of Solstheim lies an icy underground fortress known as Shaktilar, home of the most dangerous frost troll, Ugoki. With a resistance to Ice damage and an impressive health recovery, he's not an easy beast to take down. When Ugoki feels he is under too much pressure, he will call on lesser frost trolls to distract the attackers while he attempts to regenerate.

The reward

vANP2lq.png

Mmmm yeah baby

Edit: I realise I forgot to put a duration on the health regen..
    Edited by Alucardo on September 27, 2016 12:29PM