The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

is it common for players

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find crafters to be the most uplifting people to play the game and very knowledgeable . They don't just play , they work on every aspect and go the extra mile to learn . I would not be so quick to judge people especially those that can help the most . I imagine like any business oriented person they charge extra to mean people .
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    who can craft 9 trait armor sets to squeeze you for everything you are worth just to craft you some pieces? I was looking for a crafter to craft me a 9 trait set and he asked me what I thought was a fair price, so I said 5K, plus whatever materials I had leftover. (I have 1500 rubedite). and he responds with, "no thanks, it cost me a lot of gold to get 9 traits." which I get because I have 8 traits on everything myself, all but 1 piece nirn. but should I wait and try to find a friendly crafter who will do it for 5K or is this type of thing the norm?

Try guildmates or there is a lot of crafter who demand only an offer (like 10k for everything).
    The one who ask for gold/pcs usually can offer you every stile and can also provide materials, choose what you need don't go to the first one who can do it.
    Edited by Tonnopesce on September 25, 2016 6:38AM
    Signature

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say it's somewhat common. I've seen multiple people charge 5k+ per piece for 9-traits. But as long as you provide materials(that includes nirn..), I usually don't charge anything. Sure, if people want to send me some gold as a thank you - I appreciate that. But it's never something I'll force people to do :p

Hi, please don't radiant spam me from full health so much.

OT: Nah it's not common to ask any more than that, especially if you're providing the materials. As long as they provide all the mats (I can live without the green improvement mats), I do it for free if I'm not busy. I've never had anyone not donate me some gold after the job to say thank you, which probably is what keeps me doing it. I never ask for anything, but they're kind enough to donate 2k or so for my time, which is super nice.
    Guildies will generally do it for free, so always check there first. Make sure you ask a guildie with high-standing in the guild so you have less chance of getting ripped off.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find crafters to be the most uplifting people to play the game and very knowledgeable . They don't just play , they work on every aspect and go the extra mile to learn . I would not be so quick to judge people especially those that can help the most . I imagine like any business oriented person they charge extra to mean people .

Yep deffinatley, and unfortunately 80% of the people who message me are meanies, which is why i have hiked my prices up!

and the escalation between 1st message & insults/threats is usually around the 2 hour mark; quite often i log in to find an inbox filled with abuse because i wasnt online when some player needed new armour

newsflash, crafters need sleep too!
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can really empathize with the crafter. It takes a lot of time, effort and money to get there, especially if you're staying up to date on motifs. On ps4, specifically, I've run into a lot of very unaware players, who have tried/succeeded sometimes in taking advantage of me. I now charge 3k per piece and 4k for the one in odd places, like IC. With ps4 prices, this isn't unreasonable. A full set can take from 15 to 30 minutes of my time, and I'm some days that all I might have to even play.

The reason I set this standard in the first place though is because of a small number of bad experiences with people who didn't know what they wanted or didn't give me the rare style gems once we were mid transaction.

Do you think a person's skill and time is worth 5k? 9 trait crafters particularly are overburdened with requests from guildies (which usually get charitable free services), friends, random, and friends of those random who somehow learned you could craft. On a typical day, I would get 3-5 requests. I could end up crafting all day and becoming indebted if people had their way.

What I'm saying OP is please consider the other side of the story. It's not easy to craft in this game. It's not very rewarding. We want to help, that's why we became crafters in the first place, but we wanted to be treated with respect and appreciation, sometimes monetary sometimes verbal.

My advice:
    -Do your research before seeking help. Know what set, style, weight, and trait you want. Know how many pieces of material you'll need to give them. Don't forget the small stuff, trait and style gems. It's out of respect, so you don't signal to the crafter they have to pay to help you, even if it's 50 gold.

-Pay well, especially if they are polite to say they'll do it for free. Prevent crafter fatigue before they get there. Think about how much you think your time is worth. If you were farming or grinding for 15 minutes, how much could you make. That's what you make a crafter lose out on, in theory.

-Say thanks and they'll probably be more willing to work with you in the future if you're nice to them, and you'll never have to look for a new crafter again.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is mind boggling to me. I can do 9 traits in almost everything and it's never even crossed my mind to charge people for it. Here is what I do ...

- You must provide 100% of the mats.
    - You must provide me with an EXACT description of what you need in an in game or XBox message.
    - You must allow me 24 hours so I can get around to it.

If you follow those rules I'll craft whatever you want. Of course tips are appreciated but I've gotten 0 and I've gotten 20k. Just like anything else if you want prompt service tip better. Still, I'm not asking for anything.

XBL Gamertag: THEDKEXPERIENCE
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand the locaion being an inconvenience, but 30K to press the square button?
    I wish it was that simple. I can spend an hour or more on some crafting orders, time when I could be doing something else and earning gold. Sometimes I get requests from people who aren't sure what they want or don't provide enough information and if they're guildies, I guide them through it as best as I can, but this is time lost again. Some also want glyphs, which in my case means relogging to an alt. This is even without mentioning the time and money spent on researching traits and acquiring motifs (some of which are very expensive) - and real world money for the ability to access DLC crafting stations.

I like crafting for people and I never ask for anything if they provide the mats, but I don't think 30k for a full endgame set is too much, especially if you compare it to prices of some dropped sets. Master crafters have skills that you don't and they have a right to want compensation for their services. If you think "pressing a square button" is all there is to crafting, feel free to craft your armor on your own next time.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279174/having-armor-crafted-follow-this-check-list#latest

please read over my thread about crafting orders, and you will see the kind of nightmares us 9 traiters have to deal with :smiley:

Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smasherx74 wrote: »
    No he was just being a jerk.

He was not a jerk, he just said "no thanks". If you can't accept that then you're the jerk.

At OP; you can find people who are willing to do it at a lower price.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »
    I wish we had a system where someone could put in a request to the writ boards or something and a crafter could pick up the request and fulfill it. Once they fulfill it they can claim whatever gold the customer put as payment. Customer could also supply or not supply mats as they see fit.

I hate deciding prices on crafting and there is always some hassle involved in setting this up with another person. I've been a nine trait crafter for a long time but I don't make any money off it because I don't want to argue with people about prices, styles mats etc...

I.. kinda love this idea.. +1

And wow 5k per piece? I've been crafting 9 trait stuff for free for people.. >.> (as long as they have their own mats)
    love is love
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guildies always get crafted gear for free but very often tip or payback with favours at a later date. Not on my request i might add.

As for non guildies. Well, motifs, esp the new ones can take a long time to farm or if you buythem can cost upwards of a few hundred thousand for a full set. Why shouldnt we charge for that service?
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Quit trying to get free stuff from the crafters! :p
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Quit trying to get free stuff from the crafters! :p

Lol I love my crafting friend ! I go on adventures and send all my mats to them even if I don't need anything :D
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 9trait crafter I dont Craft stuff anymore unless its someone on my friendlist that asks for something unless they send a mail with all mats and detailed description what they want crafted and 5k gold per piece. I have had too many bad craftingexperiences to let ppl have it for free. It takes alot to be a 9traiter and it takes time off my playtime . If u dont understand that then, no i wont Craft anything for you. I was a "kind" crafter back in the days until i realised that my time is Worth more than that. And to you 9traiters that Craft for everyone for free, have fun crafting.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've started my 9th on wood, nearly everything else is in the last days of 8 traits, and charging 5k+ is the only way I will roll, for anyone that doesn't run dungeons / pledges / trials with me.

These motifs are coming slowly, with everything broken into chapters that only drop from daily quests. I paid 30k for just an order of the hour shield, and haven't yet completed all the dark brotherhood / dro mathra / minotaur / order hour books.

Oxblood fungus, pearl sand etc isn't found at the style master merchant for 15gold per unit, it cost real money to get the areas where it spawns.

Even with just 6 traits of just medium done, I got tired of people acting like I had failed them because I didn't have a chapter. For example (at the time) I didn't have a certain xivkin chapter for a training grinding level 35 set. It's frigging training gear, with glyphs, made to grind the 3 armor lines and 2 weapon lines for 15 levels in a couple days of part-time play, it's not for fashion.

Even guildies need to have gathered the mats and the crucial bits, and come to group voice. I'm not shouting over other people to get the customer to answer my question about which pieces were for the undaunted passive and whether the weapons were precise or sharpened or even defending. Last person that ignored me to hold a loud conversation with others, right there in my ear, got a set made in a mix of argonian and nord. Argonian robes sorta have a vinyl texture, like they are made of that plastic rain slicker material. With a nord headpiece they looked like a night clubber wearing rubber on 'be a Viking' day. Pay attention to the crafter!

Anyone who doesn't charge hasn't had a bellyful of the people who fail to follow these 3 simple rules:
    (1) Make all your decisions before even looking for a crafter.
    (2) Gather the requirements into your inventory before asking around.
    (3) Give the crafter your undivided attention.
    Edited by Cryptical on September 25, 2016 3:22PM
    Xbox NA
  • Elmour0Fudd
    Elmour0Fudd
    ✭✭
    Ok there are too many valid point's here to quote them just read the first 2 pages then think and be helpful,

I'm a newbie to ESO but already understand the frustration of crafter's.

from the start I realised that crafting was important to know, took me weeks to open a purple book lol,

so need skyshards and skill point's

ok yep all takes work then you have to unlock the traits for all levels of armour and weapons, more work,

then into styles and , oh dear not enough gp to get that chapter oh well off to do some more wandering around building up gp ... we can go on but most have seen that

So to the point it cost's a lot to learn how to be a Crafter that can make your 9 trait set respect that'
    and learn what you need before you ask ,
    I can only do 5 trait's across the board but want to get to 9 on all,
    the people that have already done this have worked for it so respect them and try getting the materials once so you know how hard it is to make 9 trait gold cp 160 items.

Original poster thank's for showing up a good question :)
    Try Cat herding it's fun thay said you'll love it it's a good honest job........ bollock's you need Silverweave body armour to stop em fighting, but a stuffed mouse on a string can help!

• Snarrffffff

[/PC NA mainly dead Breton magic sorcerer b]

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Alg5EQDPhr8CemxApWeDYYkydrc

oh what fun
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I almost always do it free unless they want me to provide mats and provide style materials then I charge the appropriate price. If they want it made they'll have to wait for me to finish since it's my time unless I'm not busy then I'll do it.
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • Khairiah
    Khairiah
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing is when random people send u PSN msgs and demand that u craft their gear.. NOW.. even tho ur not even online on the PS..

When I craft for people I say I do it for tips. Even if its 1k or 100k provided they bring the mats and style things if its something special. I usually have alot of all style mats so it aint that big of a deal to me.

But as mentioned above by someone, it helps alot if people have researched what kind of style they want so I wont have to spend 30mins waiting at the craft station..

Im happy to craft you whatever. But its only when I got the time, and you sure aint gotta demand it RIGHT NOW when I say im not even at home. :)
  • biovitalb16_ESO
    biovitalb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are providing the mats, I'll do it for free, tips are just icing on the cake.
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some guy in Rawl'kha yesterday was charging 50k for 9 trait.
  • nraner81
    nraner81
    ✭✭
    PS4 NA and I would do 5k per piece for random and ill craft for my friends for free.
    9t takes a TON of time and/or $ and generally the 9t sets are more of a pain to get to than getting to hund or
    jul and being an adult I do have a set amount of time to play every day and do put a value on it.
    That being said I do not supply mats as Ive spent a ton of time farming, and farming craglorn.
    I hoard low level mats even more than I did before due to upcoming OT update.
    I would also rec "trying your equipment" at 140(I do 140 due to all my craglorn mats from farming nirn) or 150 before creating your gear at 160. I am very happy I did this as I have a 140 armor master on one of my mules.
    PS4 NA Endgame tank/healer/runner/mag dps. Trials are why I play! I miss when Vdung were tough and fun.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a 9-trait crafter, prices are always an awkward topic. You risk driving away the customer if you are "too expensive" and usually they don't even bother trying to renegotiate a price if they are unhappy.

You do have to remember that you are paying a crafter for their time... even more so when you request a 9-trait crafter and you DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT STYLE OR TRAITS YOU WANT.

And it's not like I can go do content I enjoy while dealing with this back and forth. I can't join my guilds in pvp or vet trials or even dungeons because they all require my full attention or I am just burdening my group. So I'm literally just sitting there talking with someone who doesn't value my time... my actual, physical real world time that I could be spending on pretty much anything else.

Occasionally, I do encounter the customer that knows exactly what they want, travel to the crafting site with me, trade the mats over immediately, and tip like 20k up front without even being prompted for tips. Those are fun to do.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do that stuff for free if u giving the mats
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If the player has the mats, I'll do it for tips. Once I've done the research, it's no longer a factor in the cost. Last few times, the request has come from someone at the set station. (Good place to ask as it also cuts out the convenience fee since they're already there.)

Of course, once I agree I need the full list: traits, style, ect. I'll send the piece by mail for a guildmate, but I prefer to trade each piece for the mats in person as I craft them. Tip can come with the final trade.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    To paraphrase an in-game friend:

Friends don't charge friends for crafting.

Make friends > profit!!
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently I only craft for free to a handful of people who I have met in my adventures, because they respect that my time is a valuable as theirs: they send me a whisper to ask if I am available to craft that day, and then send an email with the clear request and all the materials. They also only ask for new gear once in a month or two (each of my "customers") so I have plenty of time for my own amusement.

I hardly ever get a tip, but this kind of crafting I find rewarding. I am helping only those who keep my time and attention for the shortest time possible and have polite and reasonable requests.

Before, I would volunteer if someone in a guild asked if there was a crafter online. Now I never do: besides being expected to always craft for free, the same people would often ask for new sets every other day for themselves and their friends. And accuse me of being a bad guildie if I declined. So I started to charge a fixed amount per station visited (2k - not excessive), and those requests have ceased.

TL; DR - value you crafter's playtime as if it was your own playtime, and you will have someone who won't mind helping you even for free.
    PC-EU
  • Mattock_Romulus
    Mattock_Romulus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't pay less than 5k per piece + tip. I respect a crafters time and I'm not a freeloader.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't advertise my crafting skills and if approached, don't ask for payment except to cover any material shortfall that I might have to supply (if it is high level material). If people feel they want to give me something, then that is their choice, but if I have agreed to craft for someone it is legitimately because I want to help.

Also I am still not 9 traits on everything yet, just finishing researching my 9th now.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it is true that some traits (especially nirnhoned of course) are expensive. So if that person decides to charge a high price for certain services, that's their thing.

I guess the problem is, that people who are not their guild mates or good friends tend to lack gratitude and are just exploiting the goodness of certain crafters. This might lead to their justification of such strict principles. Perhaps it is simply greed, who knows?

Don't judge them too harsh, you might not know the whole story behind their ideology.
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
  • SublimeSparo
    SublimeSparo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do non crafters realise how much time/ gold it takes to learn all of the nirnhoned 9th traits?
    When i did mine potent nirn was 18k a pop or a weapon research piece 20-22k
    Fortified nirn was about 10k each or a research armour piece 12-15k
    12 weapons = 240k
    22 armour = 220k
    So basically half a million gold and what 18months or something isn't it timewise, and people cry about paying for it.
    PS4 EU CP900. PS4 NA CP600,
    vAA HM ☆ vHRC HM ☆ vSO HM ☆ vMOL
    4th Console vMOL clear,
    vMA cleared on all classes stam & magic

My Tribe
    EU
    High Sparo - Altmer - mSo DD.
    Wood Sparo - Bosmer - sNB DD
    Nord Sparo - Nord -sDK DD/Tank.
    Bubble Girl - Imperial -sTe DD
    Succubus Sue - Breton - mNB Tank.
    Andrana Stormlock - Altmer - mTe Healer/ DD