The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Healing Ward bugged

Berenhir
Berenhir
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello folks at Zenimax

today i noticed a bug with healing ward. I was in combat, my group was swarming an AD zerg and i was starting to slideshow with fps <15 and ping >500 and the game became unresponsive. So far nothing new. But due to the slideshow i could read all numbers on the screen while trying to heal myself from the attacks that lagged in and i realised that my healing ward was not healing me.

Whenever i hit healing ward, the initial healing labeled as "Grand Healing" fired, but after the shield expired, i was not healed for the remaining shield strength but for a symbolical number like "2" or "3". This was no display bug.
screenshot_20160918_2wdu9z.png

As i was triggered now, i watched the behaviour of healing ward and whenever the server is lagging (hahahaha) the probability of healing ward to fail increases. Maybe the delay on a lagging server causes the healing function to pull the "remaining shield strength" variable too late?

Edit:

Video below. If you cant stand watching, jump to 1:35

Edited by Berenhir on September 19, 2016 8:14PM
PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • KICHZY
    KICHZY
    ✭✭✭✭
    The screenshot hurts my head.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have put the screenshot into spoiler tags for all the people using outdated browsers.
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that bug was caused by thieves guild, healing ward randomly heals for single digits. it was reported on pts and immediately after TG with no fix in sight
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine. Is there a bug list where we can check which skills work?
  • Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I reported it months ago (signed up for the forums specifically to point it out), but I haven't used healing ward since the Dark Brotherhood update. Funny that it's still a thing considering it has the potential to get you killed by releasing what I like to call a "dud heal".
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: The dud heal can happen as well when someone else gets the bubble.

I cannot deliberately reproduce the bug though, but it happens quite often and usually when you really need the heal.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Healing ward sometimes ticks for 10 health. Saved my life in pvp on more than one occasion. Oh wait.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »

I cannot deliberately reproduce the bug though, but it happens quite often and usually when you really need the heal.

Because the ability grants you a damage shield, and then heals based on the % of the shield that's left, could it be that the damage shield is mostly used up by the time it expires and heals you? I looked at the screenshot, and immediately doubted that the damage shield is being used up.

I did notice that healing ward has a high crit rate, and with the changes to healing so that you can't have two crit's on the same ability, I wondered if maybe it's being nullified somehow by another crit happening around the same time.

I wonder if there are any similarities between people who experience this bug, and their class/abilities/CP/build/gear etc..

Also, I'm assuming that you're using an add-on. Is there any chance the add-on could be malfunctioning?
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use healing ward and this would suck if true . @ZOS_GinaBruno can you have someone double check to see if the double dip heal crit fix on Malubeth was some how effecting this ability in a way it shouldn't ?
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because the ability grants you a damage shield, and then heals based on the % of the shield that's left, could it be that the damage shield is mostly used up by the time it expires and heals you? I looked at the screenshot, and immediately doubted that the damage shield is being used up.
    Also, I'm assuming that you're using an add-on. Is there any chance the add-on could be malfunctioning?

No, the damage shield is not used up by the time it expires. I know how healing ward works, it's my main heal as magblade. B)

The add-on works and there is no display bug.
    I use healingward and this would suck if true . @ZOS_GinaBruno can you have someone double check to see if the double dip heal crit fix on Malubeth was some how effecting this ability in a way it shouldn't ?

I don't think that it has something to do with a double crit as my crit chance is quite high and I would have the issue all the time. :|
    There is nothing that can double crit on healing ward as it heals based on remaining shield strength (which sadly can't be a crit) and thus can the heal can only crit once. But who knows... :smiley:
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, my assumption that the malfunction of healing ward is connected to lag has been confirmed.
    I could easily reproduce the bug today. Made a video to share it with you.

Edited by Berenhir on September 19, 2016 7:33PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the remaining shield strength on Healing Ward is consumed prior to the secondary heal kicking in. Is this not the case? Are you certain that there is still a damage shield on you when it expires, or has it all been eaten up by incoming damage by then?

Edit: I posted that before I saw your video.

It looks like you are using the integrated floating combat text. ESO's combat text only shows healing that you are capable of receiving. For example, if your max health is 10k and you are currently at 5k, and the healer hits you for a 20k crit heal, your floating combat text will only show 5k, as that is what it takes to get you back to full health. I presume that the minimum value it can show because of Healing Ward's mechanics is 1hp, so when you are at full health, this is what it shows. At any point that you are below maximum health, it's showing you either the full amount of the heal, or the full amount that brings you back to full health, whichever is lower. My experience suggests that not all resto skills behave this way; Healing Springs will show me the full value of the heal only if the target can receive the full value, else it shows me the amount for which they actually healed. If I use Healing Springs on someone at full health, combat text shows no healing at all. Your thoughts?
    Edited by Autolycus on September 19, 2016 7:54PM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    It looks like the remaining shield strength on Healing Ward is consumed prior to the secondary heal kicking in. Is this not the case? Are you certain that there is still a damage shield on you when it expires, or has it all been eaten up by incoming damage by then?

It looks like you are using the integrated floating combat text. ESO's combat text only shows healing that you are capable of receiving. For example, if your max health is 10k and you are currently at 5k, and the healer hits you for a 20k crit heal, your floating combat text will only show 5k, as that is what it takes to get you back to full health. I presume that the minimum value it can show because of Healing Ward's mechanics is 1hp, so when you are at full health, this is what it shows. At any point that you are below maximum health, it's showing you either the full amount of the heal, or the full amount that brings you back to full health, whichever is lower. My experience suggests that not all resto skills behave this way; Healing Springs will show me the full value of the heal only if the target can receive the full value, else it shows me the amount for which they actually healed. If I use Healing Springs on someone at full health, combat text shows no healing at all. Your thoughts?

If you would have watched the video till the end, you would have seen that its not a display issue. Healing Ward does not heal.

Edit: Watch at 1:38.
    I do not use the integrated combat text, i use the Combat Cloud plugin. And if i heal at full health, my combat text shows the theoretical healing received.
    Edited by Berenhir on September 19, 2016 8:03PM
  • icontrive
    icontrive
    ✭✭✭
    This bug happens to me all the time. I'll hit a healing ward, go in stealth and wait for it to heal. It doesn't heal and then I have to exit stealth to cast another one hoping that one heals..
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you would have watched the video till the end, you would have seen that its not a display issue. Healing Ward does not heal.

I do not use the integrated combat text, i use the Combat Cloud plugin. And if i heal at full health, my combat text shows the theoretical healing received.

Well, that's why I asked. Came off a bit salty, but no harm I suppose. Seems like a bug to me.
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh look. More bugs in PVP. What a surprise. :trollface:

I'm just teasing. But on a serious note, this is a rather serious problem. I thank you for bringing this up and to the surface, so that the devs can take a look at this. I truly hope it gets resolved quickly, and that this bug of sorts doesn't enter the realm of PVE.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Berenhir

If your healing yourself from damage your taking is it possible the shield from healing ward is being used up? The heal when it expires is based on how much if the shield remains.

Additionally, if your experiencing extreme lag could that affect the info combat metrix receives?
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that's why I asked. Came off a bit salty, but no harm I suppose. Seems like a bug to me.

Sorry, no salt intended :hushed: Should use more smileys o:)
    @Berenhir

If your healing yourself from damage your taking is it possible the shield from healing ward is being used up? The heal when it expires is based on how much if the shield remains.

Additionally, if your experiencing extreme lag could that affect the info combat metrix receives?

No, the shield is not used up. B)

You can see me taking fall damage in the video (start watching at about 1:28) and i pop the shield, the shields duration expires and i am not healed at all :|
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not the lag. Had the same bug without lag this night
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have put the screenshot into spoiler tags for all the people using outdated browsers.

SHADE!
    ****Master Healer...****
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, no salt intended :hushed: Should use more smileys o:)|

No problem! I like smileys... here is one for you too B) (and sorry for not watching the last bit of the vid before making my stupid suggestion)

Is this a console-only issue? I've not used Healing Ward in Cyro for some time now, but I use it in PvE perhaps daily or every other day when I heal, and haven't noticed this issue.
    Edited by Autolycus on September 19, 2016 9:23PM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laksikus wrote: »
    Its not the lag. Had the same bug without lag this night

Me too, but i it happens all the time with lag. Only one of the healing wards in the video healed at all, the one after the first tower jump.

Sorry, no salt intended :hushed: Should use more smileys o:)|

No problem! I like smileys... here is one for you too B) (and sorry for not watching the last bit of the vid before making my stupid suggestion)

Is this a console-only issue? I've not used Healing Ward in Cyro for some time now, but I use it in PvE perhaps daily or every other day when I heal, and haven't noticed this issue.

No, I play on PC EU. It happens for me often when i experience a high ping (>200), what usually does not happen in PVE.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, my assumption that the malfunction of healing ward is connected to lag has been confirmed.
    I could easily reproduce the bug today. Made a video to share it with you.

Thank you for taking the time to do this .
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What does that light blue bar to the left of your health, magic, and stamina bars say at about 1:40? It's an add on but I can't read the buff.

When the healing ward doesn't work that bar fills up and I'm just curious why.
    Edited by brandonv516 on September 20, 2016 2:34AM
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does that light blue bar to the left of your health, magic, and stamina bars say at about 1:40? It's an add on but I can't read the buff.

When the healing ward doesn't work that bar fills up and I'm just curious why.

It's the Minor Savagery buff I obtain from the Hemorrhage passive (Assassination tree) when the dud heal crits:
    Hemorrhage
    With an Assassination ability slotted: Increases damage dealt by Critical Strikes by 10%.

A succesful critical hit gives nearby allies Minor Savagery, increases Weapon Critical Strike rating by 657 for 20 seconds.
    Edited by Berenhir on September 20, 2016 2:52AM
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Took healing ward off my bar a couple of weeks ago because it 'felt like it didn't do anything". I'm no parser and a PvP newbie, but I did try to check using FTC. Yes, the heal seems very susceptible to lag. Thanks for confirming my instincts were correct.

Like most aussies, I play with consistent 340-360ms ping and higher (400 plus). Add my ping to my ancient fingers and bad reaction times and it's BoL, combat prayer and springs spamming for the group :( I've just resigned myself to being a an aoe heal bot zerg baby. At least my seige shields are useful!
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah. that's been happening for a while. since around the launch of DB that i can recall.
    Invictus
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you bug report it in game with your video link? You need to bug report it in game.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LegacyDM wrote: »
    Did you bug report it in game with your video link? You need to bug report it in game.

Yeah I did today. Hope this wont be ignored like the bug reports that seem to have been filed for this issue months ago.

I dropped healing ward now for a dampen/blessing of restoration combo.