Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is there a possibility of Crossbows being in ESO?

Inhuman003
Inhuman003
✭✭✭✭✭
The history of crossbows state back in Morrowind. That's a big gap from Morrowind to Skyrim timeline. will crossbows be a game changer for both PvP and PvE!
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be awesome to have crossbows. It could work with bow in a similar way Flame/Ice/Shock Staves do, sharing the same skills.
    🏳️🌈 Ride with Pride 🏳️🌈
    Stamina/Damage Sorcerer - PC - NA - DC
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering Crossbows are basically exactly like a Bow, and that there's a Skill in the Fighter's Guild line that has you fire a (mini) Crossbow, I highly doubt they would, even if I would TOTALLY equip a Crossbow over a normal Bow.

I remember when I got the Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim, and I cheated in my first Crossbow. That was the only weapon I ever used from that point on.
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no, no crossbows! Please can we have some kind of technological progress across the Elder Scrolls series? Tamrielic technology hasn't changed one iota in hundreds of years, thanks to this game and its pandering to tropes and fanboyism. The least we can do is keep crossbows in the future for goodness sake.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a possibility, it's a reality. Silver Bolts from the Fighter's Guild skill line is a Crossbow attack.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think craftable/drop crossbows would be awesome.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The original dawn guard was around roughly at this time in ES lore. It is stated in the Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim that the old order used crossbows. In fact, we can be sure crossbows existed before the war for the empty throne ends, as Serana herself asks you who the current king is, then asks what the heck the imperial empire is.

So lore wise, could definately do and have done. I would LOVE to see just new animations for crossbows and keep the bow tree at the minimum. For crafting or drop, it would be essentially the same thing as robe vs jerkin. No real difference but asthetics.

#Crossbows2017
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    The original dawn guard was around roughly at this time in ES lore. It is stated in the Dawnguard DLC for Skyrim that the old order used crossbows. In fact, we can be sure crossbows existed before the war for the empty throne ends, as Serana herself asks you who the current king is, then asks what the heck the imperial empire is.

So lore wise, could definately do and have done. I would LOVE to see just new animations for crossbows and keep the bow tree at the minimum. For crafting or drop, it would be essentially the same thing as robe vs jerkin. No real difference but asthetics.

#Crossbows2017

The reason the Fighter's Guild has Silver Bolts is because of that very thing: The Dawnguard. The Fighter's Guild skills are mainly for hunting Daedra and those cursed (Werewolf and Vampire), therefore all we really need from Crossbows is Silver Bolts.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

#Crossbows2017

The reason the Fighter's Guild has Silver Bolts is because of that very thing: The Dawnguard. The Fighter's Guild skills are mainly for hunting Daedra and those cursed (Werewolf and Vampire), therefore all we really need from Crossbows is Silver Bolts.

I would respectfully disagree. My toon having a badass crossbow on his back would be absolutely amazing. As the suggestion I forwarded has little to no impact on the game balance or copetitiveness, I will assume you are content with the silver bolts ability. I am not, and would enjoy seeing new bow reskins that depict crossbows, in adit ion to what we have.

• ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AndyTGD wrote: »
    Oh no, no crossbows! Please can we have some kind of technological progress across the Elder Scrolls series? Tamrielic technology hasn't changed one iota in hundreds of years, thanks to this game and its pandering to tropes and fanboyism. The least we can do is keep crossbows in the future for goodness sake.

But... Crossbows already exist now, and have existed since before even the Tribunal lived. Hello? Dwemer much?
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

#Crossbows2017

I would respectfully disagree. My toon having a badass crossbow on his back would be absolutely amazing. As the suggestion I forwarded has little to no impact on the game balance or copetitiveness, I will assume you are content with the silver bolts ability. I am not, and would enjoy seeing new bow reskins that depict crossbows, in adit ion to what we have.

Crossbows are for hunting Vampires, and maybe Werewolves, and that's what the Fighter's Guild is for. You may seek more for aesthetic purposes, but don't expect to ever get it.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of what i was going to say has been covered

lore appropriate - check

fighter guild - check

looks way cooler than a bow - check

Dawn Guard - check

Dwemer - Check

I heart Daryl Dixon - what just me.... DROOL!
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭

#Crossbows2017

I stand corrected, sir. Your lore-fu is strong!

Still, it would have been nice to see some technological progression, with such weapons being very rare, presumably reverse-engineered from Dwemer tech etc. Just wishful thinking on my part. I really wish there was more of a contrast in ESO when compared with later entries; not merely with weaponry but with everything.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Carde

This reminds me of a crossbow related incident during beta involving a then well known and very active player ...
    lol-2.gif
  • Fettkeewl
    Fettkeewl
    ✭✭✭
    Give me
    * Crossbows
    * pikes
    * halberds
    * naginata
    * fist weapons

I. E. Go check Diablo 2 weapons and bring em in!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others have already commented on the lore implications of crossbows in this time period (ie. lore-wise they should exist), so I don't really have anything to add from that standpoint.

From a real-world historical standpoint, though, most people don't realize just how old crossbows really are. The earliest crossbows we know of date back about 2500 years. They were used in ancient China, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, etc.

They were overshadowed to a certain extent by the longbow through a period of the Middle Ages, but that was partly because the longbow of the time was a very powerful weapon in the hands of a properly trained bowman (ie. trained since childhood), with greater power, rate of fire, and range than most contemporary crossbows. Crossbows were always much more popular with most armies, though, because they required far less training, and they evolved to become more powerful and quicker to reload over time.

The other (probably more significant) factor that made crossbows relatively uncommon during a period in the Middle Ages was a Papal ban on using them against Christians.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There HAVE been crossbows in the game.

Just huge, non-portable ones....

CdYBB6KXIAI_XFm.jpg
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kammakazi wrote: »
    non-portable ones

And by "non-portable" you mean that you can fold them into a tiny cube and store them in your backpack.
    rolleyes.gif
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thats not a siege crossbow
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    How about spears/halberds?
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    devilsTear wrote: »

I'll just leave this here...

32d0863ec2e2aec806b0449507f9c5.png
    pBOKgOF.png
  • ajback_ESO
    ajback_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    #Crossbows2017
    Certifications:
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security +
    Cisco CCENT
    Cisco CCNA
    Microsoft MTA
    Microsoft MCSA

Dual ASUS 27" VE278H Monitors
    Razer H-440 Case (Whats Inside?)
    GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
    i7-6800 CPU
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GPU
    Corsair H115i Cooling System
    Corsair CS750M Power Supply

Peripherals
    Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
    Razer Leviathan
    Razer Firefly
  • ajback_ESO
    ajback_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    devilsTear wrote: »

Yes, we need polearms.
    Certifications:
    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CompTIA Security +
    Cisco CCENT
    Cisco CCNA
    Microsoft MTA
    Microsoft MCSA

Dual ASUS 27" VE278H Monitors
    Razer H-440 Case (Whats Inside?)
    GA-Z97X-Gaming 7 Motherboard
    i7-6800 CPU
    MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GPU
    Corsair H115i Cooling System
    Corsair CS750M Power Supply

Peripherals
    Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma
    Razer Mamba TE Chroma
    Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
    Razer Leviathan
    Razer Firefly
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really, really want more weapon varietee, as I keep stating when the topic comes up, and in here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/259011/additional-weapon-skill-ideas/p1

Crossbows are one of my favorite "things I really want to see in ESO", as outlined, using the same skills as bow, with maybe some tweaks (like, disease damage instead of poison for example), and the whole thing with added armor penetration, yet a "reload" time after each shot...
    It would be easily doable, and finally give arches -some- alternative in weapon choice, to make them not ALl the same, but just like melee fighters can choose their flacvor in terms of sword-mace-axe, give the people who like to play marksmen a choice between "Robin Hood" flavor, and "Wilhelm Tell" flavor...

(BtW, we could also have slings for "David" flavor... just sayin... ;) )
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah more weapon lines def need to be a thing. Spears, cross bows, ball and chain weapons, UNARMED ( Unarmed has been in TES lore forever, that it wasnt in skyrim or this as a skill line is downright insulting. )
    Edited by Jade1986 on September 17, 2016 2:13PM
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Others have already commented on the lore implications of crossbows in this time period (ie. lore-wise they should exist), so I don't really have anything to add from that standpoint.

From a real-world historical standpoint, though, most people don't realize just how old crossbows really are. The earliest crossbows we know of date back about 2500 years. They were used in ancient China, ancient Greece, ancient Rome, etc.

They were overshadowed to a certain extent by the longbow through a period of the Middle Ages, but that was partly because the longbow of the time was a very powerful weapon in the hands of a properly trained bowman (ie. trained since childhood), with greater power, rate of fire, and range than most contemporary crossbows. Crossbows were always much more popular with most armies, though, because they required far less training, and they evolved to become more powerful and quicker to reload over time.

The other (probably more significant) factor that made crossbows relatively uncommon during a period in the Middle Ages was a Papal ban on using them against Christians.

Gotta say, that is incredibly fascinating and has prompted me to read up some more on the subject. As I say, I'm primarily looking at it from more of a lore perspective, given that real-world background doesn't really apply very well to ES lore (in historical areas such as books and literacy for example). I am warming to the idea of primitive crossbows though. Seems viable and isn't one of ZOS' dodgier lore decisions.
  • Khairiah
    Khairiah
    ✭✭✭
    Consider how long it takes to actually reload a crossbow.. if u dont oneshot you will be dead before you have reloaded. :)

But then again.. this is a game with cat and lizard people. Hehe
    Edited by Khairiah on September 17, 2016 3:11PM
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crossbows are definitely within the lore, you even get to use one with one of the Fighter's Guild skills. That said, I don't know how they'd implement a light/heavy attack cycle with them, so having them be their own weapon type, or even just an alternate to the Bow, would be considerably more difficult than anticipated. Nothing's impossible, though!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always thought if they added Crossbows to the game they would make it have a slower rate of fire but higher impact much like a 2H sword compared to a 1H sword. That would also have to include a whole new skill line though which I am not against but I know others are.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give us craftable jewelry first
  • Inhuman003
    Inhuman003
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    Give us craftable jewelry first

I agree with you but we need people to help out with the forms with good ideas and bad ideas alike.