Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC - Do you use a controller?

• Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use some addons that don't support the controller UI, so I'm pretty much stuck with KB+M. I'd love to try controller someday, though.
  • Tonnopesce
    Tonnopesce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    I used a gamepad since it was supported on pc, and even before with a custom map.
    Now i bought a Corsair Scimitar pro, removed a couple of keys (i have big hands and in the mouse there where too many buttons) and learned from scrach to use K+M .
    After a week is not going bad, i still have some issues with AC but man, K+M is way better than the controller, target people in pvp has never been so easy.

Side note... what's up with the necromancy today?
    This was a 2016 thread....
    Edited by Tonnopesce on April 28, 2019 7:25PM
    Signature

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - why would you use a controller?
    as this game is not functional on pc, why try it with a controller??
    doesn´t improve anything..........
    Edited by Azurya on April 28, 2019 7:30PM
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    My wrists enjoy the ergonomics, and I like having a consistent experience across platforms, PC and PS4 in this case.
    forever stuck in combat
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Never!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - not my preferance
    geonsocal wrote: »
    just wondering...I read a bunch about people using a lot of pots during combat - it seems that hitting one key (if that's how it works on a keyboard) would be a lot easier than the process for a controller (quickslot)...

up d-pad, toggle r3, up d-pad is a lot of crap to remember while in combat...

sorry OP for the random rant - i just want to start using all those stupid good pots...I read someone describe it as having a batman utility belt at your disposal...I want one of those...
    Its some mod who let you remap quick slot swap, up to double tap bound key active potion.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Zavijah
    Zavijah
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Xbox 360 Controller also at my PC desk. I really enjoy the game with it. I despise the default controls and can't be arsed rebinding keys as the defaults god damn awful.

I don't find myself suffering too badly. Still 30k upwards on an Australian pingwith a controller. I'm happy.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing I use a controller on PC for is console-style games that work better with controller (ported JRPGs, third-person actioners like Bastion, etc), and racing games (like Dirt, or the car segments of Rage)

...I wish I could use M+K (natively) on my consoles. So many interesting FPS-ish games that I've never been able to play, because I can't aim worth crap with a controller.
  • Aiko
    Aiko
    ✭✭✭
    NO - not my preferance
    While i love the movement and camera you get with controller - abilities are a nightmare, imo.
    Don't get me wrong.. i use controller for a lot of other games. But ESO ain't one of them.
    The whole "press LB/RB + A/X/Y/B for an ability... just not my cup of tea.
    Fast is fine, but accurate is final.
  • russelmmendoza
    russelmmendoza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Coupled that with my 300ping.
    I get owned a lot in bg.
    I sucked at my rotation.

Its still better than actually playing on the ps4.
  • Grandma
    Grandma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    i mean, only some times. I started a roleplay character and he's way more fun with a controller. Otherwise keyboard, but there was no "sometimes" option.
    GH / 3/04/2021 / Elemental Catalyst Necromancer
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is EsO, not mortal combat or street fighter....
  • sionIV
    sionIV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

We should not dilute our noble and hardcore play style, with that of the peasant casual. You do not downgrade from a full blood horse to a crippled mule when it comes to racing! I prefer to use the superior keyboard, and take my time pushing the beautifully constructed keys. No more than one input every five seconds, or you might be mistaken for a brash beaver. The other hand should have a firm, yet gentle grip, on our majestic mouse. We have to make a sacrifice and take the lead, to show the plebs the right path. Even though they are not of noble blood, and are unlikely to achieve enlightenment, they should at least have the dream! Now I will have to excuse myself. I have more important things to do, like brag about my 2, 472 DPS in Fungal Grotto I, while I take a sip of this expensive wine, and endlessly harass the healer for not having upgraded all of his gear to legendary status.

Oh woe me, and the sacrifices I make for the community.
    Edited by sionIV on April 29, 2019 4:46AM
  • mjharper
    mjharper
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    I played Skyrim with a controller on PC, and I play ESO with one too.

Generally I like the controls, but I do often switch the Ultimate to LB, and put Ability 4 to LB+RB (reversing them, basically). A small change, but it allows for more responsive Ultimates, which is great if you're using one a lot (like the bear). Then I'll put something that needs to be slotted but not really cast, like Inner Light, on LB+RB.

I do wish there was a simple solution for roll dodge, though. I hate blocking at the same time...
    Edited by mjharper on April 29, 2019 5:43AM
  • Nimrhys
    Nimrhys
    ✭✭✭
    I hate controllers, give me as much control as a piece of spaghetti.
  • jainiadral
    jainiadral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Controllers are way too hard to master-- old fart-- heck, even joysticks are too much. Plus, in testing consoles, I found out my hands are way too small. I can't reach all the buttons.
  • Tamrik
    Tamrik
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Because of my disability I've used a 360 pad since controllers were added officially to the game. It's much more comfortable for me when playing for long periods of time.

Still use keyboard to chat. The chat commands for pad are just insane. I couldn't play on console because of it.

I think it's nice that there are a mix of options for all types of people though as it gives everyone, regardless of how they want it need to play can do now :)
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hate using controllers. That's why I don't play on console. No reason for me to get the most annoying thing about consoles and use it while playing on PC.
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    I have a keyboard, so whats the point?

Guess it's a learned trait.
    Edited by Altaire on April 29, 2019 7:26AM
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    Steam Controller, both in front of my PC and on my couch through Steam Link.

But with the regular keyboard and mouse UI and custom bindings for everything.
    Edited by ssorgatem on April 29, 2019 9:30AM
  • Davor
    Davor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »

Nl7uktF.jpg

Would love to try that out, but I use an Xbox One Elite controller and they don't go on them.

For me, it's the "where is the other option?"

I play on Xbox One X now, but when I did play on my laptop, I used the controller. Just never got the hang of using Mouse and Keyboard. Maybe because I am a lefty, or I just prefer a controller in my hand.
    Not my quote but I love this saying

"I would pay It for support. But since they choosed we are just numbers and not customers, i dont mind if game and zos goes to oblivion"
  • DokThor90
    DokThor90
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do. But I super issues with jabs from Templar, It very often is delayed (after pressing the skill, nothing is happening and after 1-2 seconds jabs fire).

I Tested with Bluetooth and LAN Connection - Problem remains, PC EU

@ZOS_GinaBruno maybe?
  • Reaper_00
    Reaper_00
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    Only occasionally when i’m gaming-on-the-go using my Razer Edge Pro with the game controller cradle which mimics an xbox controller. Works fine for doing things like dailies and light PVP, but prefer my razer orbweaver keypad + trinity mouse for anything really serious
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    On my couch with Xbox gamepad. My eyes were so happy when i showed them gamepad UI! Everything's so big there, they no longer bleed. They just rest.
    But most importantly, i prefer stick movement with different speeds to walk/run keyboard options
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    My DPS is genuinely 4-5k better when I use an Xbox controller.

So yeah I use gamepad.

I also move better on a gamepad.

I rock a Razer Sabertooth Elite. Better than the Xbox One Elite IMO. Has six remappable button, over the Microsoft model's four.

Nice little screen at the bottom to allow for on the fly adjustments.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No | To ZOS: THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME BRING MY HORSE INTO BATTLE!
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Altaire wrote: »
    I have a keyboard, so whats the point?

Guess it's a learned trait.

I am in the exact same boat, only inverted.

I played years with Everquest and then WoW with keyboard and mouse, more than a decade between the two. However when ESO came out, I picked it up on console since I had transitioned to more games such as CoD on console and my gaming was mostly spent on that platform. Plus my compture had not been upgraded since I stopped playing WoW for anything other than the storyline. After playing ESO since console launch until last summer, I found that I could not reprogram my brain to forget my muscle memory from my days in EQ and WoW with the camera controls and playing ESO with a controller in my hands felt more comfrontable even after months of trying to learn to adapt.

• Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cc720b75070464373fd82f1&rid=giphy.gif
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    I use a controller. Why? Why not, it’s more comfortable. I use an x-box controller.

Using a controller definitely comes with issues, I’ve figured out some work arounds though:
    - rebound ultimate to right direction pad (cross thing)
    - rebound synergy to down direction

Issues I have:
    - using different potions
    - moving while using an ultimate, potion or synergy

Anyone figured out a way to make it easier?

That steam controller looks nice!
    Edited by Iskiab on April 29, 2019 4:21PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    PRX and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Bryath
    Bryath
    ✭✭✭
    NO - not my preferance
    Controller would be kinder to my hands and wrists, but I tried it for a couple days and it was just too clumsy for me, or rather I was too clumsy for it. I don't have nearly the necessary control on the analog sticks to get mobs targeted accurately.
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    I use Xbox elite just remapped some keys to make it easier to use. It's doesn't seem to be a problem in pve at all but in pvp it's a severe disadvantage to anyone using mouse/keyboard.

There are some people that I can't even target because they can spin there camera twice as fast as me but I still prefer sitting on a recliner and dying more often then being uncomfortable :lol: