PC - Do you use a controller?

Dustile
Dustile
✭✭✭
Do you us a controller when you play on PC?
Edited by Dustile on September 15, 2016 1:01AM

PC - Do you use a controller? 321 votes

YES - from my desk
18%
Sorianagradius_ESOtohopka_esoNewBlacksmurfKovakypranb14_ESOLightspeedflashb14_ESODrelkagWuffyCeruleiBalaelSavos_Sarenlycanslerwb17_ESOsrfrogg23VexariusTamrikAtAfternoontwevdarkstar2084Smasherx74MarkusTheValiant 58 votes
YES - from my couch
15%
Moloch1514Caligamy_ESObigscoothb14_ESOdhoward5b14_ESONemesis7884TonnopesceNebthet78CazicNecreliosJames-WayneMustafaRastamjharperSjestenkaDustilegreyloxN00BxV1InvictusApolloDank_RafftPeekachu99Strider_Roshin 51 votes
NO - not my preferance
25%
laurajfzergbase_ESOTotalitariansilvereyesGrymmoireotis67DirtySmeegs33AikoAedhDanikatBlackersraglauAlienSlofcosmic_niklas_93b16_ESOkwisatzzariaanitajoneb17_ESOedopeyAbeilleIgnotus 83 votes
NO - why would you use a controller?
40%
SirAndywayfarerxvailjohn_ESOtheyanceyMojmirOthniel327deadsheepb14_ESODiviniuswenchmore420b14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOKendaricBeolundAzuryaIruil_ESOjedtb16_ESOaubrey.baconb16_ESOfreespiritBam_BamDTStormfoxSoupDragon 129 votes
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Logitech G13.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    I have a wireless logitech kb & mouse that motion sense and light up in the dark. Which I use to play ESO on a 60" from across the room with my PC, but I still kinda prefer most of the combat controls on the controller.

Late at night when I am tired and falling asleep to ESO in bed, I will use the controller but I do find it problematic that I gotta go fetch the mouse and keyboard anyway the moment I switch characters and gamepad mode ceases to exist momentarily...
    love is love
    Options
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just wondering...I read a bunch about people using a lot of pots during combat - it seems that hitting one key (if that's how it works on a keyboard) would be a lot easier than the process for a controller (quickslot)...

up d-pad, toggle r3, up d-pad is a lot of crap to remember while in combat...

sorry OP for the random rant - i just want to start using all those stupid good pots...I read someone describe it as having a batman utility belt at your disposal...I want one of those...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
    Options
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    geonsocal wrote: »
    just wondering...I read a bunch about people using a lot of pots during combat - it seems that hitting one key (if that's how it works on a keyboard) would be a lot easier than the process for a controller (quickslot)...

sorry OP for the random rant - i just want to start using all those stupid good pots...I read someone describe it as having a batman utility belt at your disposal...I want one of those...

Not so much potions but bar swapping with the default controls of Dpad does force you to grab the controller oddly to hit the buttons with your thumbs or fingers.

Ultimately it's a waste of dps/hps.
    Master Debater
    Options
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    geonsocal wrote: »

If on PC you can rebind them to make them easier, and having an addon that can map each slot to a keybind also comes in handy.

I use an Xbone controller while pressing "A' is my jump and interact, I have holding it bound to select quickslot 1 which is my main "Oh-crap" potion. From there I just press L3 to use or if that's not the one I want I have up on the d-pad bound to select the next quick slot.

I also make use of the Chatpad for non essential keybinds, and have 2 paddles on the back of my controller which are set on d-pad down, and d-pad left for sprint/mount and weapon swap/synergy. Those are the two most awkward buttons on the standard controller for me to press while in combat, which is why they were used to set the paddles.

Some of the stuff took a bit to get used to, but I'm really liking how it's working out.

Nl7uktF.jpg
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
    Options
  • SnubbS
    SnubbS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never played a game on PC, but I can't see how a controller could be preferable. I wish I had a button for my Ult, a button to Bash, a button to Dodge roll and a button to CC break.
    Xbox NA: SnubbS
    GoW eSports player & part time ESO Pug Ball Zerger.
    GB
    Options
  • Drelkag
    Drelkag
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Play with the Steam Controller. Everything gamepad but the right pad being mouselook.

Switch to KB + M for more challenging content though. Still, nothing beats chilling with a controller gathering mats and crafting.
    Edited by Drelkag on September 15, 2016 3:20AM
    @drelkag on the NA server
    Options
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Ive used a 360 controller since launch. Left trigger activates a second string of commands, so everything is responsive.

Biggest issue? Fighting a very mobile enemy that likes to get behind you. Using the thumbstick keeps you from pressing skills, so you have to really work to lock on and cast, especially since they removed the tab target box.

It's easy for me now, but sithis forbid someone found out that little secret early on. It was like taking a stupid pill.
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
    Options
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - not my preferance
    Orb Weaver + Naga + G19 (for chats)

From time to time, I'll turn on the Xbox One controller and run around and pick flowers. But I would *never* play "for real" with a controller. Not my bag.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
    Options
  • Zweible
    Zweible
    ✭✭✭
    OK RUNS... What program are you using to get a chat pad to work on PC and do the mapping?!?! Been looking for one for a while and the one you use looks SWEET!
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    When I play the PTS I definitely play with a controller. I can't stand playing a game on a keyboard.
    Options
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Zweible wrote: »
    OK RUNS... What program are you using to get a chat pad to work on PC and do the mapping?!?! Been looking for one for a while and the one you use looks SWEET!

Don't think I had to do much to get it to work, I'm pretty sure the controller had to have it's firmware updated via Xbox Accessories Windows app when I added the chatpad. I think after that chatpad was fine.

I know initially I had some issues but pretty sure that all had to do with the wireless drivers, and I had to revert to using old ones.
    The zip file for the old drivers I used is AMD64-en-20656929_ce9bb23845f18c7ed66d07d417969c567a61d223 and should be able to be found via search engine, from some old steam links

Also it's the Xbox One controller and chatpad, IIRC the 360 controller's chatpad was never given drivers... but it's been a long time since I've looked into that.

The mapping is just via the Controls, the image shown is a screenshot from my google spreadsheets. I have a tendency to spreadsheet every game I play :/
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
    Options
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keyboard and mouse all the way!
    Options
  • AtAfternoon
    AtAfternoon
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    Yes, because I find it more comfortable. Still use the mouse when dealing with equipment, menus and vendors. The introduction of support for xbox controllers on PC was one of the reasons I came back after a break from ESO.
    Options
  • zergbase_ESO
    zergbase_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    NO - not my preferance
    Keyboard and mouse for me at moment. Temptation to use pad comes time to time but I am so use to keyboard and mouse game play I just can't give it up.
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    When I solo I do especially when I'm levelling alts but not for Dungeons and Trials etc
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need only a keyboard and mouse to play. Controllers are simply inconvenient for me.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mouse - lefthand for direction attack/block

keyboard - righthand arrow keys for direction skills etc on number pad
    Options
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    It's just more comfortable for me because I have rather delicate artist wrists (thin wrists, to be blunt), and them laying in my lap is easier on them than on a hard desk.
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on September 15, 2016 7:44AM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
    Options
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I use anything else than mouse / keyboard on space simulators, I'm guaranteed to see what I've recently eaten resting on the floor within 5 minutes.

On anything else, I feel like a robot. *turn left* *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* *CHUNK*. *Turn right* *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* *CHUNK*. Ah wait, need to look the other way, *turn left* *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT* *CHUNK*.

He's spinning around me!
    *BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT*
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
    Options
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    Controller when just running around levelling lowbies etc. Doing anything where I need absolute control, like dungeons, trials, PvP, then I use mouse keyboard.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

Options
  • SlayerTheDragon
    SlayerTheDragon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a controller once... for about 45 seconds.
    ¤═══¤ People don't like it when you talk to them with your weapon drawn ¤═══¤
    Options
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even use a keyboard
    Options
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    I guess the option from desk also implies from couch as well. I use a PS4 controller with DS4Windows.
    Options
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can almost hear @FENGRUSH facepalming right now. lol

XBox NA
    Options
  • WanderingBeithe
    WanderingBeithe
    ✭✭✭
    YES - from my desk
    I have always used a controller and have had zero patience with a keyboard and mouse. I have recently purchased a steam controller and am slowly trying to adjust to it. But I'm not having a lot of luck finding a decent map set to start from.
    Edited by WanderingBeithe on September 16, 2016 6:54AM
    If it has a tail it is meant to be eaten.

Options
  • Cazic
    Cazic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - from my couch
    I have a Steamlink which allows me to play ESO on PC from my couch with a Xbox One controller. Its amazing for the times when I want to take it easy. For PvP and dungeons I have to get in front of the comp
    Options
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to use a controller, when I had to choose between a notebook keyboard and a controller, and the notebook keyboard was still better, because I just couldn't move where I wanted with that controller, everything was so clumsy. Also when I was at it, I tried to switch from the small notebook screen to a big TV - to have better visuals - man, it was such pain for my eyes - I couldn't see any details, so I had to switch between Notebook and TV, when I was forced to read anything. So TV is good for me when I don't need to look for details - only for watching movies.
    After such horrible experience never again - I'm happily back at my PC with a monitor of confortable size and distance, with sensitive mouse and with my oppinion about it, that a lot of people buy consoles just because it is popular :p
    Edited by Mandragora on September 16, 2016 2:45PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Options
  • Kewpie
    Kewpie
    YES - from my desk
    XBOX 360 controller all the time, the game just feels better on gamepad. Aswell as I played skyrim with gamepad so.
    Options