The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Give us more weapon skills options: Bound weapons and Bound Bow

alephthiago
alephthiago
✭✭✭✭✭
I am here to suggest 2 new skill lines to give more options for magicka users.
Right now we have 3 offensive stamina weapon skill lines (2handed, dual wield, bow) and one utility skill line (s/b has offensive skills too, but...well) but only ONE offensive magicka weapon skill line, dont try to fool people about destro staff having variety because it doesnt, all skills are basically the same but with flavors and we even have one skill that is THE SAME for all destros.

Getting to my point:
Bound weapons and Bound bow.
How does it work:
When you begin the game or a new char you need to use certain weapon and earn xp to be able to unlock the first skill in that line correct?
Now as soon as you are able to unlock poison arrow and twin slashes you are able to unlock mana shot and double slash(any name really for the magicka versions) you spend the point in the one you want to use from now on, period.
How would the system know if the player wants to use and progress the normal version or bound version of the weapon skill line? If the player has any skill of the magicka version in his/her bar it means he/she is using the bound version.

These changes dont require any rework in drop pools and NO NEW WEAPONS ADDED TO THE GAME, its easy to implement and we keep the restriction of having to actually own the weapon to keep in line with traits and set pieces.

The skill lines could be something similar to their stamina versions.
Bound weapons:
gon3b1631n1f.png

1 - Same as Twin Slashes with or without dots.
2 - Same as Flurry or open to suggestions.
3 - Same as whirlwind or maybe a little weaker.
4 - Any one hit strong skill.
5 - Any major sorcery buff or Berserk buff.

Bound bow:
dpnltnuwjwh1.jpg

1 - Any basic magicka shot with or without dots.
2 - AOE dot or fixed damage....you choose.
3 - Single target hard hitting skill in the same line of other weapons, maybe instant, maybe channeled who knows
4 - Maybe a draining health or magicka shot or a buff like major evasion.
5 - Anything, really.

Its actually up to you what skills we would have or elemental morphs or anything, we just want to play as real mystical assassins and warriors like we could in previous Elder Scrolls games OR like many MMOS out there.

Oh....and be able to weave light and heavy attacks like the stamina users can do, using our magicka pool and sp.
Remember you did sell the game advertising variety, lets keep this up.
Edited by alephthiago on September 3, 2016 11:57PM
Walks-in-Shadowss AD Magblade
*** kitty AD Stamblade
Paarthurnax's Will AD Magicka DK
agnar cracked skull EP Magicka DK (veteran dragonstar arena bot)
Klogi Mugdul AD Stamina DK
Savre Selranni AD Magicka Sorc (being polished)
Avenar Lolhealing AD Magicka Templar (being polished)

• Iggybot
    Iggybot
    ✭✭✭
    What I think would be better is splitting destro into fire, ice and lightning staffs
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iggybot wrote: »
    What I think would be better is splitting destro into fire, ice and lightning staffs

A good amount of Magicka Dks and Magicka Nbs if not most of them want to fight in melee range instead of casting from far away.
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A good amount of Magicka Dks and Magicka Nbs if not most of them want to fight in melee range instead of casting from far away.

Projectiles miss if you are too close? Still, the game already has 3 different types of Destro Staves and only one skill tree. What if instead you had 3 trees each with 5 skills and 1 ultimate?

Besides, if you want to hit stuff with a melee weapon, why not just add an enchantment that makes it deal magic damage based on spell power instead of physical/weapon. That'd be much easier to apply.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Projectiles miss if you are too close? Still, the game already has 3 different types of Destro Staves and only one skill tree. What if instead you had 3 trees each with 5 skills and 1 ultimate?

Besides, if you want to hit stuff with a melee weapon, why not just add an enchantment that makes it deal magic damage based on spell power instead of physical/weapon. That'd be much easier to apply.

People would go crazy if magicka users were using two handed and dizzying swings left and right, i can assure you lol.
    Btw projectiles dont miss in close range and you know that, zos thinks ranged magicka skills need to be weaker because casters are protected by distance just check the base damage of ranged magicka skills and the skills in the destro line (fragments is the only hard hitting magicka ranged skill in the game).
    Edited by alephthiago on September 4, 2016 12:32AM
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, the stamina cost for most skills would be very prohibitive for magicka builds but it would still be hilarious to see a magicka build execute a player with a 2-hander.

Also, there is no reason with 15 total skills across 3 skill lines that some of them could not be melee range skills. Still, I'd prefer having the enchantment option as well.

EDIT: You could even make it a trait (Spellsword) that would only be available by converting a weapon at the Mage's Guild.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on September 4, 2016 12:57AM
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, the stamina cost for most skills would be very prohibitive for magicka builds but it would still be hilarious to see a magicka build execute a player with a 2-hander.

Also, there is no reason with 15 total skills across 3 skill lines that some of them could not be melee range skills. Still, I'd prefer having the enchantment option as well.

ANY change would be very welcomed, i am just suggesting something that is lore friendly (ES wise) and requires very little work in their part, people should be always open to more options since those skill lines are the same since god knows when.

Also, my changes would be stylish and cool af lol
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds good.

But I would like to see a One handed plus magicka tree. In past ES games, I always had a melee weapon in my right hand and cast spells in my left.
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lokryn That has been suggested before as an extra talisman weapon for the off hand so that you get the second weapon slot. I guess you could have multiple skill lines based on the talisman type (illusion, conjuration, alteration, etc) that would help define the skill line + passives + talisman traiting (ie is it traited as a shield or a weapon).

So alteration & illusion would be mostly defensive and use an orb or glove or something like that; whereas elemental would mostly shortish range offensive and use a runic talisman.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #Spellcrafting
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭

a lot of Mag Sorcs would also be happy to do damage in melee range if they only could

so perhaps splitting the destro staff so different elements allow for slightly different skills and also adding a "close range" magicka melee type skill to destro staff would allow for more versatility

you know...how about "beat them with your gnarly stick" (yes...just taking the p*** a bit here but you get my drift)
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭

This.

But I also think there needs to be a new weapon line like what the OP is suggesting. I'm thinking 1h and focus.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with more staff skills is not all people want to look like mages....
    But any improvement and variety for magicka right now would be good, i can get behind the idea of more destro skills too.
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before anyone says something funny as "you can use staff at point blank".
    Destro skills are extremelly weak because they think ranged attacks should do less damage overall (but what about the bow?) the only way to pack a good punch with destro is heavy attacking with the fire version and it misses too often even without shuffle btw...
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) destro line separated into 3 elements
    2) add "conjure" skill line and add bound bow, bond sword, summon spectre, with an ultimate.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭

What if instead you had 3 trees each with 5 skills and 1 ultimate?

Simplest solution to me, as all weapons ALREADY exist in game.

Fire staff could be (as it currently is) king of single target damage.

Lightning aoe e.g. change blockade of storms to have a 'chain lightning' effect.

Frost more utility based, adding extra defence / debuffing opponent etc

And AT LEAST ONE of these options (and restoration staff?) needs to enable an extra set bonus.

Completely separate ultimates for each would be amazing.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    2) add "conjure" skill line and add bound bow, bond sword, summon spectre, with an ultimate.
    A dream comes true <3
    Can you imagine having something so similar to skyrim? Who in their right mind wouldnt create a magicka toon just to summon a badass blue glowing sword and bow?
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lokryn wrote: »
    Sounds good.

But I would like to see a One handed plus magicka tree. In past ES games, I always had a melee weapon in my right hand and cast spells in my left.

That's not true. It only happened in Skyrim.

In Morrowind/Oblivion you had a button which swapped from magic to combat yo you were not able to use both at the same time

In fact, self-healing in both games was a pain in the ***, unless you hit the inventary button to drink the potions and re-think the strategy.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Summon attronach? :oknot:

Maybe an conjuration line which allows you to summon daedra or skeletons and a 2h weapns or a bow (doing the same than 2h and bow lines but with a cost in magicka instead of stamina per skill... and magic dmg)

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really miss bound weapons, they were my favorite. They just look so amazing. Magicka needs more weapon options, /signed.
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Maybe an conjuration line which allows you to summon daedra or skeletons and a 2h weapns or a bow (doing the same than 2h and bow lines but with a cost in magicka instead of stamina per skill... and magic dmg)

The schools should be in this game without question. THey killed off spellcrafting, so we can't expect ZoS to give us a true TES experience.

• Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    I really miss bound weapons, they were my favorite. They just look so amazing. Magicka needs more weapon options, /signed.

In Skyrim I built a shield mage... it was fun.. and a hybrid...
    Edited by Xvorg on September 8, 2016 5:32PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rykmaar wrote: »

The schools should be in this game without question. THey killed off spellcrafting, so we can't expect ZoS to give us a true TES experience.

Not completely killed off, pushed back after housing if I recall correctly. I am just a little concerned HOW will they even implement it? Just seems like it might be too easy to make broken skills unless it shows up being very very limited (Like only being able to tweak your own class skills from limited options).
  • Tormy
    Tormy
    ✭✭✭
    Then they should also make each class skill a choice between stam or mag. at the moment most class skills and morphs are mag
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not completely killed off, pushed back after housing if I recall correctly. I am just a little concerned HOW will they even implement it? Just seems like it might be too easy to make broken skills unless it shows up being very very limited (Like only being able to tweak your own class skills from limited options).

The presentation they did on it in 2014 made it seem pretty robust. Basically, every base spell had 5 "morphs" that you could craft. It's not a free system like Morrowind or Oblivion, but allows for a lot of variety.
    I hope they pick it up again soon. It's been 10 years since we've had a TES game with spellcrafting, which is just ridiculous imo as it has been a staple of the series before Skyrim.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • alephthiago
    alephthiago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tormy wrote: »
    Then they should also make each class skill a choice between stam or mag. at the moment most class skills and morphs are mag

Ikr, because we are asking for a second option for magicka based dd weapon...pfff....
    These magicka users.....always so selfish...amirite?
    *** kitty AD Stamblade

• Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree that this sounds awesome it is the implementation that will be the hard part. So say you have a Destro staff equipped and you conjure a bow. Are you now unable to cast Destro skills or does it give you an entirely new bound bar similar to Overload? Now what happens when you conjure a sword? Can you swap between the bow and sword or will it be a tedious process of toggling each on/off or involve constant bar swapping?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree that this sounds awesome it is the implementation that will be the hard part. So say you have a Destro staff equipped and you conjure a bow. Are you now unable to cast Destro skills or does it give you an entirely new bound bar similar to Overload? Now what happens when you conjure a sword? Can you swap between the bow and sword or will it be a tedious process of toggling each on/off or involve constant bar swapping?

The staff could stay on your back and your hands could be free to accept the animations. Or the item is a trinket that only shows a blue light showing players you are a conjurer.

Also ZoS can make a crown store option that lets you purchase different colors of light or shapes of the bow/sword.

Edit:. They have an animation already that make your hands blue for the dolmen switches. Thats half the battle lol.
    Edited by Minno on September 8, 2016 9:30PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

The presentation they did on it in 2014 made it seem pretty robust. Basically, every base spell had 5 "morphs" that you could craft. It's not a free system like Morrowind or Oblivion, but allows for a lot of variety.
    I hope they pick it up again soon. It's been 10 years since we've had a TES game with spellcrafting, which is just ridiculous imo as it has been a staple of the series before Skyrim.

Yeah. Agreed.

Let's take a step back though and think about this. They kicked down a vibrant gameplay mechanic in favor of one they can monetize in the cash shop.

Spellcrafting would help the diversity issue, and it is needed. Badly.

Put that in, and address light armor to give a decent reason to wear it, and many of us will be happy.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah. Agreed.

Let's take a step back though and think about this. They kicked down a vibrant gameplay mechanic in favor of one they can monetize in the cash shop.

Put that in, and address light armor to give a decent reason to wear it, and many of us will be happy.

Something tells me they scrapped it to use it for the new elder scrolls game.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭

Yeah. Agreed.

Something tells me they scrapped it to use it for the new elder scrolls game.

I mean, I guess it's a possibility. But ZoS and Bethsoft are two different entities. Same parent (and same private equity overlords), but different companies.

I just think the truth is a lot more basic. They probably put development resources into the cash shop instead of spell crafting after that guy left (forget his name already :( ).