Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance June 5, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cyrodiil is (almost) Impossible

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The first time I decided to try going into Cyrodiil, I was level 30-something, and I very quickly learned I was leagues out of my depth and hopelessly useless. So I just as quickly left, and never went back.

I'm a Veteran 10 now. And I decided to go back in thinking I could hold my own in case an errant player tries to assert their dominance.

I join a campaign, I get into Cyrodiil, and I decide to start off picking up an old quest I had started way back on my first foray in. Time to travel to Bruma! So I mount my Lioness, hop the wall and start the very, VERY long trek half way across the map to Bruma. When I finally get there, a Dark Anchor is active, and Dremora are everywhere. The paranoid bugger I am, I go hidden and sneak my way into town. Of course I fail miserably as a Dremora here and a Skeleton there spot me and I have to put them down.

Then I see it. It's a glimpse. A yellow icon over a moving figure.

I damn near sh*t my pants. And then as I near the anchor it gets worse. Blue icons. A couple of Vet16 DC players are doing the anchor. Now don't misunderstand, this is at 4AM Pacific time. I had believed I wouldn't see a single person. But here I was hiding from two DC veterans, who then find and murder the lone AD player I saw earlier.

Finally I found my chance to get to the quest marker, thinking they've gone. I go into this building, find the NPC, do a thing here and there. And when I go back to turn in the quest, there's an AD player standing right there where I was going. He sees me. I freak out. I try to use the Surrender emote. He annihilates me in seconds.

And then I have to respawn. ALL. THE WAY. AT THE BEGINNING. Oh, but that's not the end. I decide to try it again. I hop on my mount, go to the wall, and RIGHT when I hop over it, standing RIGHT there just outside the wall is a Vet16 AD player. I'm annihilated in seconds. He then begins to farm me as I try to leave, and it takes another level capped Pact player to get rid of him. So now I'm finally back on the road to Bruma so I can continue this stupid quest. But when I go through the Chim gate just GUESS who comes out of nowhere. Same person. He came back. Annihilated me in seconds.

I have to guess it took me a half hour to get back to Bruma and turn in the quest, only to be given another quest. And when I'm about to leave the building the questgiver was in, in trots another Dominion player. I frantically give the Surrender emote to tell him I don't want to fight. He doesn't care. I give out a couple attacks. I'm annihilated in seconds.

This is why I stick to the PvE zones. This is why PVP multiplayer gives me anger induced seizures.

I gave you the Surrender emote The Red Fury or whatever your name is!
Edited by ArchMikem on March 22, 2016 8:04AM
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    U forgot to mention LAG
    Options
  • Liukke
    Liukke
    ✭✭✭
    That's stupid but unfortunately it's the game...we are even lucky that there are PvE only zones, many mmos have free PvP wherever you can go, and if your clan is in war state it's mandatory to go questing with groups :/

I'm V16 in DC and when I see a low level player I always send him a whisper, telling that I won't attack him if they are in quest zones (ok if they are near a keep then it's death on sight!), 'cause it's stupid and not fun winning so easily.
    PvP is usually a frustration zone where high level player just want to win (maybe their life is not so fun :'D) and attack all easy enemies when they are in non keep zones.
    I feel sorry for you :(
    Options
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time send him all your gold he will leave to quest in peace if you want quest in cyro you have to pay the toll or learn to fight
    Gold Company Commander
    Options
  • NativeJoe
    NativeJoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if your getting off the emote in time I prolly wouldn't kill you. But often times when I run into another player like yourself I rather just kill them in "seconds" as you put it...then deal with having them freak out, and grab their WB stick and try to kill me.

Especially if I'm deep in enemy territory and can't be bothered to be the initiator of peace because I've had situations where players will do an emote. I /wave, continue on my business and they follow and soon 5 others show up and we have a massive 3 minute long brawl.

My days of giving out free passes are behind me. I just smash them, and ask questions later.

my suggestion: learn how to quickly msg the other faction member. if I recieve a tell saying , "hey im in stealth, and don't want to fight" I'm going to say, " thats fine, I'm not here to gank you, all of you come out of stealth and everything is cool"
    Edited by NativeJoe on March 21, 2016 12:05PM
    650cp+ Sorcerer 100+ days /played
    Broken'Stick North American Server
    https://www.twitch.tv/trixytricks
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mr1sho wrote: »
    Next time send him all your gold he will leave to quest in peace if you want quest in cyro you have to pay the toll or learn to fight

I refuse to believe extortion is a real thing in a video game.
    Options
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most pvp players are there to pvp against other organized groups. So it's guilds fighting guilds most of the time. You could join a group if you want to do sieges, etc. Just ask in chat if there are any groups going. I know if my guild sees a red and it's on the way, we will kill whoever. I don't think anyone even looks at the level. It's just if we see another faction, we kill them.

If you just want to quest, you can guest on a quiet server. Check the population bars to see which one is most empty. Usually no one will bother you out where the quests are. That has been my experience anyway. And 4 AM pst is morning on the east coast. and all the east Asian, Australian, and New Zealand players are on when you think the server is quiet. It is quieter, but we're around.

It's not personal in most cases. I don't know who that dude was that was camping you. Maybe you killed him on a low level alt and he was mad. Who knows? But I've never had that happen before in ESO, so I don't think it's that common.
    Options
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What can I say? It's a pvp zone, most people don't go there to do quests or RP with emotes. If I see a different color and they also see me, and I can't run away fast enough (which mean I'm not on Sorc or NB), I'd attack, even if I know I'm gonna die. Simply because I can't read mind and don't know if that guy who /wave me over there might chance his mind and suddenly Crit Rush and Wreck my face. If somehow I managed to kill them, good, if not, then I'm gonna die anyway, why bother to play emotes with them.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blud wrote: »
    I don't know who that dude was that was camping you. Maybe you killed him on a low level alt and he was mad. Who knows?

I never do any PvP so that's a no. He was probably just bored and wanted to do the holy act of all gaming. Spawn Camp.

And when you're a geared up Vet16, what's stopping you?
    Options
  • Ayalaya
    Ayalaya
    ✭✭
    I think Cyrodiil is impossible too and yet I go there every day. Many times I have happily charged the enemy with my stamina DK using 2handed sword to die in 10 seconds and quickly respawn and log out in anger and shame.
    The thing to survive when you're not a good player is to hide among other players and use bow or make a caster. I've killed many enemies with my argonian mage staying far back picking out the weak ones and zap them and then run away.

Oh and about the lag, it actually make me live longer and make more points. I can live for 5 to 10 minutes without dying :) Maybe I don't hit much, but they can't hit me either.
    Edited by Ayalaya on March 21, 2016 12:14PM
    Options
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a surrender emote? But really, if you have no PvP experience at all (probably also no adequate gear/sets/skills on your bar), you'll be "annihilated in seconds" quite often. It takes practice over anything else.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
    Options
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sneak is your friend.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What can I say? It's a pvp zone, most people don't go there to do quests or RP with emotes.

I'm on console, the only way I can see to communicate with them is through emotes. I don't RP in this game.
    Options
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

You say extortion I see a deposit for your well-being
    Edited by mr1sho on March 21, 2016 12:15PM
    Gold Company Commander
    Options
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liukke wrote: »
    That's stupid but unfortunately it's the game...we are even lucky that there are PvE only zones, many mmos have free PvP wherever you can go, and if your clan is in war state it's mandatory to go questing with groups :/

I'm V16 in DC and when I see a low level player I always send him a whisper, telling that I won't attack him if they are in quest zones (ok if they are near a keep then it's death on sight!), 'cause it's stupid and not fun winning so easily.
    PvP is usually a frustration zone where high level player just want to win (maybe their life is not so fun :'D) and attack all easy enemies when they are in non keep zones.
    I feel sorry for you :(

Yeah I pretty much do the same thing. I pvp for fun, if it's an easy kill it's not really that fun, especially in a pve area where there is unlikely to be much of a pitched battle.
    Options
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Differencein levels doesnt really matter - thats all in your head!
    Options
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The ridiculous thing about Cyrodiil in general is that there's no nearby respawn points for those who're just wanting to quest.
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

Options
  • mr1sho
    mr1sho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molag_Crow wrote: »
    The ridiculous thing about Cyrodiil in general is that there's no nearby respawn points for those who're just wanting to quest.
    If you want quest in a war zone learn to fight or pay the toll lol

Gold Company Commander
    Options
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first time I decided to try going into Cyrodiil, I was level 30-something, and I very quickly learned I was leagues out of my depth and hopelessly useless. So I just as quickly left, and never went back.

I'm a Veteran 10 now. And I decided to go back in thinking I could hold my own in case an errant player tries to assert their dominance.

I join a campaign, I get into Cyrodiil, and I decide to start off picking up an old quest I had started way back on my first foray in. Time to travel to Bruma! So I mount my Lioness, hop the wall and start the very, VERY long trek half way across the map to Bruma. When I finally get there, a Dark Anchor is active, and Dremora are everywhere. The paranoid bugger I am, I go hidden and sneak my way into town. Of course I fail miserably as a Dremora here and a Skeleton there spot me and I have to put them down.

Then I see it. It's a glimpse. A yellow icon over a moving figure.

I damn near sh*t my pants. And then as I near the anchor it gets worse. Blue icons. A couple of Vet16 DC players are doing the anchor. Now don't misunderstand, this is at 4AM Pacific time. I had believed I wouldn't see a single person. But here I was hiding from two DC veterans, who then find and murder the lone AD player I saw earlier.

Finally I found my chance to get to the quest marker, thinking they've gone. I go into this building, find the NPC, do a thing here and there. And when I go back to turn in the quest, there's an AD player standing right there where I was going. He sees me. I freak out. I try to use the Surrender emote. He annihilates me in seconds.

And then I have to respawn. ALL. THE WAY. AT THE BEGINNING. Oh, but that's not the end. I decide to try it again. I hop on my mount, go to the wall, and RIGHT when I hop over it, standing RIGHT there just outside the wall is a Vet16 AD player. I'm annihilated in seconds. He then begins to farm me as I try to leave, and it takes another level capped Pact player to get rid of him. So now I'm finally back on the road to Bruma so I can continue this stupid quest. But when I go through the Chim gate just GUESS who comes out of nowhere. Same person. He came back. Annihilated me in seconds.

I have to guess it took me a half hour to get back to Bruma and turn in the quest, only to be given another quest. And when I'm about to leave the building the questgiver was in, in trots another Dominion player. I frantically give the Surrender emote to tell him I don't want to fight. He doesn't care. I give out a couple attacks. I'm annihilated in seconds.

This is why I stick to the PvE zones. This is why PVP multiplayer gives me anger induced seizures.

I gave you the Surrender emote The Red Fury or whatever your name is!

I highlighted your problems for you.

How do you intend on "Holding your own in case of errant players" if your first reaction is the surrender emote?

Also, consider that the first time you do a hard boss in a PVE dungeon, you will die, and probably keep dying until you learn the mechanics, get better gear, etc.

Same goes for PVP, but you need to learn the mechanics of four classes, each with two different playstyles (mag and stam), and throw in some variation for those that don't just use the FOTM builds. THen you also have to throw in human error and variables thus needing good strategy, counter-strategy, and reaction times.... etc. my point is, clearly you can't expect to go into cyrodiil and be any good without trying.

Or you could just get a super high DPS build, spam wrecking blow, and hope for the best, like almost everyone else.
    Options
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I used a surrender emote once in imperial sewers and was not attacked. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. Cyrodill is a PvP area and is all us poor PvP'ers have. And level difference doesn't matter. Thanks to levelscaling a V1 has more resources then a V16.

I don't feel sorry for you. You have 98% of the game for PvE.

Still, it is brave for you to come. This is how many of the PvP'ers started. And they got addicted to it. I hope you come back for more and join the castle sieges. Those quests in Cyrodill are non rewarding dailies and nothing more.

And if the argument is : But I want all achievements. Well you have to PvP for that anyway. There are also achievements for killing players, healing players and taking PvP objectives involved.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farorin wrote: »
    How do you intend on "Holding your own in case of errant players" if your first reaction is the surrender emote?

My first reaction is the emote because the person is six levels higher than I am, and I know I don't have the best gear possible to stand a chance. You can see my character in the Show Me Your Sorcerer thread, I don't have the best numbers and I have at best a couple purple items while the rest are blue. I'm fine against the Vet14 NPCs but other players are one sided fights.

Or maybe I just like to think there are good players out there that might show a little mercy to a lone player that doesn't want to fight. Then again that's probably asking for too much. :|

And this is the part where you "good players" ridicule me for being a noob and tell me to delete my character and uninstall.
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to get frustrated by enemy players killing you when you're half-way across the map from a spawn point, then you shouldn't go to a PVP zone. It's one of the risks there, and it's part of the reason why the PVE in Cyrodiil can give you so much XP: because at any given time you might get slaughtered by enemy players.

Now if you do still want to quest, do delves/dolmens, and grab skyshards in Cyrodiil, but you want to absolutely minimize your chances of getting put in the dirt by enemy players, recruit a group of like-minded individuals and do it together. When you've got a group of 4+ with you then you're far less vulnerable to random enemy players. If you're in a guild try to set up guild events for this. I know in my guild we occasionally have Cyrodiil skyshard runs where we go and spend a couple of hours grabbing all of the skyshards we can, doing delves and such along the way.

Or you can go and do it solo, but do it always expecting to die at any second so that if and when it happens you won't be upset. Personally, sometimes I enjoy the extra sense of danger that comes from doing PVE stuff in a war zone where I have to be super alert because I could run into enemy players any time. And the rest of the time I would hate that - it depends on what mood I'm in, and I only go into Cyrodiil solo if I'm in the mood where the additional excitement is what I'm after.

Also, if you run into an enemy player who has spotted you and you want to indicate to them that you don't want to fight, I think it's more effective to just hold block and spam self-heals. If you try to do an emote a lot of time people will already be most of the way through their attack rotation by the time they realize what you're doing, so even if they're inclined to leave you alone when they see you don't want to fight it may be too late. If you're holding block and self-healing then you'll survive that initial attack long enough for them to understand what's going on. Sometimes that will mean that they'll leave you alone, sometimes it won't.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You say extortion I see a deposit for your well-being

So, extortion.

PvP won't get easier by avoiding it. It's not about whether you live or die, but if you can learn from battles - yours and others'.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • wraithguknub18_ESO
    wraithguknub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Let me help you out here,

1st you where v10 in a v16 area.

2nd you have zero pvp experience and believe me that is HUGE. I used to get frustrated like you. Used to get mad. Then I started pvp'in with some friends. I LEARNED how to pvp. Learned that pvp mechanics are different than fighting a mob. It is a big transition.

If you can find a guild that does pvp get with them and have them teach you. It will be frustrating but eventually you will be able to hold your own (I think I dont know your skill level) and you will see it is not that bad.

keep trying pvp eventually you will get better.

When you get that first legitimate kill you will smile
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you list your class, people here can give you some suggestions on what you should put on your bar to stand a chance in PvP. If you are coming in with a PvE build you will have a pretty tough time defending yourself.

There have been a few times were I have wanted to not fight someone, but the only time a fight has ceased was after several minutes of it clearly going nowhere and squeezing in a "/bow" after backing off a bit. Never prevented a fight though.

Like others have said, I have been burned by not taking the initiative several times and taking down an opponent while I had the advantage, only to have them stealth and burn me seconds later. I don't do that anymore.

If after they are dead they want to whisper me "just trying to quest" then that's fine. I am almost never near the questing areas anyway.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Also, if you run into an enemy player who has spotted you and you want to indicate to them that you don't want to fight, I think it's more effective to just hold block and spam self-heals. If you try to do an emote a lot of time people will already be most of the way through their attack rotation by the time they realize what you're doing, so even if they're inclined to leave you alone when they see you don't want to fight it may be too late. If you're holding block and self-healing then you'll survive that initial attack long enough for them to understand what's going on. Sometimes that will mean that they'll leave you alone, sometimes it won't.

This is a good tactic too. I have had people do that and have stopped attacking. I then stood there blocking and not attacking for a few seconds too to make sure they weren't going to try anything, and then just left.

If they are a NB though expect them to just Fear you through your block and kill you anyway.
    Options
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I see someone in a quest zone I just leave them alone. The first thing I look for is if people put their weapon away... if they do that and do not stealth I am pretty sure they are not looking to battle. The other reason is I do not want the "Still in combat" so I cannot mount :)... just rather keep going!
    Edited by MishMash on March 21, 2016 12:58PM
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
    Options
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »

This is a good tactic too. I have had people do that and have stopped attacking. I then stood there blocking and not attacking for a few seconds too to make sure they weren't going to try anything, and then just left.

If they are a NB though expect them to just Fear you through your block and kill you anyway.
    I learned that tactic when I ran into an enemy player in Imperial City sewers one time. The second I saw him I attacked - not because I particularly wanted to fight him, but because I was startled and thought he'd kill me if I didn't kill him first. He held block and cast self-heals and damage shields and I quickly figured out what he was doing, so I held block and slowly backed off. We waved at each other and both went back to killing mobs in adjacent rooms. Ran into him again a little bit later and we actually killed a handful of mobs together (carefully).
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
    Options
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I have radiant magelight, streak and ward if I ever goes into cyro.
    Options
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't touch my city. You're free AP. Stick to PVE zones if you do not want to get killed. Or perhaps ZOS can give us open world, flagging PVP anywhere. Because I am tired of people stealing my grinding spot.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
    Options
  • makreth
    makreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about NA campaigns but in Europe you can join some low population campains and feel as if it is a PVE-only zone. But, it's a pvp zone in the end so that is to be expected.
    Options