Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – June 26, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) – 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Potent Nirncrux vs Sharpened

teladoy
teladoy
✭✭✭✭
Hi, i need some help to decide what is better for my magicka sorcerer, if sharpened or Potent Nirncrux in my destro staff. My idea is to ouput the max damage I can specially to squishies.

My problem is that i dont know the effect of Potent Nirncrux in a destro staff if it is noticiable the difference of damage.

Maybe someone of you can help me to understand in pve and pvp what's the best combination and why.

Thanks!
Edited by teladoy on August 16, 2016 12:59AM
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From what I heard about the DPS meta is sharpen and penetration which makes sense cause players can mitigate the damage the can't mitigate penetration.

    Which is completely flawed and stupid ask me.
    "A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage."
    "It's the warrior not the weapon that decides the battle ."
    #StopOneTamriel
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Penetration won't do much to squishies if you already have a sufficient amount of Penetration lol but it does wonders vs. Heavy Armor. Nirnhoned is ideal if you simply want to bolster the overall number effect of your abilities, particularly for healing and damage shields.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    theoretically nirnhoned is better for trash mobs but sharpened is better overall
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Precise is better than both in PvE.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharp is >

    Both in pvp and pve.
    PS4 EU DC

    Current CP : 756+

    I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.


    RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    Penetration won't do much to squishies if you already have a sufficient amount of Penetration lol but it does wonders vs. Heavy Armor. Nirnhoned is ideal if you simply want to bolster the overall number effect of your abilities, particularly for healing and damage shields.

    Damage shields scale only with max magicka or health
    PTS-EU
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »
    Precise is better than both in PvE.

    Sharpened is good against other players and for bosses with high resistances. Nobody uses nirnhoned. Precise might do well for a pure trash/aoe bar or when in doubt, sharpened usually performs best.

    Depends on your crit damage modifier. If you have 100% crit damage, Precise is better than Sharpened at that point. Most stamina builds, especially Nightblades, easily reach that in PvE.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/262295/nirnhoned-precise-and-sharpened/p3

    In summary comes down to this in pvp:
    Asayre wrote: »
    @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO, yes a weapon damage enchant (which also gives spell damage) is preferred over a flame enchant

    @zerosingularity, you can do that if you want to save a bit of money and want to avoid over mitigation. But a Precise and Sharpened sword would be preferred if your concern is only about the latter.

    @Cinbri it depends on what you think is the main problem in PvP. Take Nirnhorned for a constant 3% damage against everything or Sharpened for 11% when their shields are down.

    You have decide what's more beneficial for you. Penetration does not go through shields. Nirnhoned does. However, against non shields sharpened is much better.

    In pve sharpened is better against targets with > than 12k resistence. Precise for trash mobs and sharpened for bosses. Just check out the link goes into more detail about precise vs sharpened in pve.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South

    https://www.twitch.tv/legacydm
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCxGJuKhiIklxzqWF_9shWYA
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use three types of destro staff (fire/lighting/ice), each type with another trait (respectively: sharpened/precise/nirnhoned) and in another style.

    From my experience: for harder content like vet dungeons/trials I use flame staff with sharpened and it works the best. For easier content like normal dungeons (silver keys) or soloing (except for vMA) I use the other two. I recommend to do the same because it's all about diversity. And diversity is fun. Using the same weapon all the time can be boring. All of these three traits are really good and can be useful in different situations but in terms of dealing max dmg in harder content sharpened outperforms precise and nirnhoned.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »
    Precise is better than both in PvE.

    Sharpened is good against other players and for bosses with high resistances. Nobody uses nirnhoned. Precise might do well for a pure trash/aoe bar or when in doubt, sharpened usually performs best.

    Actually I have a few alts that run a Nirnhoned Weapon.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on August 17, 2016 2:18AM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »
    Precise is better than both in PvE.

    Sharpened is good against other players and for bosses with high resistances. Nobody uses nirnhoned. Precise might do well for a pure trash/aoe bar or when in doubt, sharpened usually performs best.

    Actually I have a few alts that run a Nirnhoned Weapon.

    Your just too lazy to recraft your magicka gear... Be honest ;)
    PS4 EU DC

    Current CP : 756+

    I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.


    RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    susmitds wrote: »
    Precise is better than both in PvE.

    Sharpened is good against other players and for bosses with high resistances. Nobody uses nirnhoned. Precise might do well for a pure trash/aoe bar or when in doubt, sharpened usually performs best.

    Actually I have a few alts that run a Nirnhoned Weapon.

    Your just too lazy to recraft your magicka gear... Be honest ;)

    No I made it after it changed lol
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • teladoy
    teladoy
    ✭✭✭✭
    The question is: is the people runing in Cyrodill with high armor or high resistance?

    I have the feeling that the most part is just following the Mass without asking themselves if it is right or not.
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    For
    susmitds wrote: »
    Depends on your crit damage modifier. If you have 100% crit damage, Precise is better than Sharpened at that point. Most stamina builds, especially Nightblades, easily reach that in PvE.

    So for build based on crit chance and damage, Precise is better? I read threads about these three traits for days and I can't decide between Precise and Sharpened. My character is a NB healer, so he wants to heal but deal damage in the same time (not as good as a real DD, but the more Funnel Health hits, the more it heals).

    (Sorry if my English is bad. Not my mother tongue.)
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    The question is: is the people runing in Cyrodill with high armor or high resistance?

    I have the feeling that the most part is just following the Mass without asking themselves if it is right or not.

    No, there was a thread somewhere.


    Even someone with full light will have close to 10k resists.
    5.2k penetration is like 8% more damage, 660 armour mitigates around 8% dmg, so therefore 8% penetration is a 8% increase.

    I'm still not sure if having a nirn and a sharp dw set up is better than 2x sharpened.

    The way duel wield has more dmg is because the second weapon add's 20% of it's amount to you character sheet.
    Hence why gold dw is like 1600 wpn/spell dmg and everything else is 1335 or something.

    Wondering if going 1 nirn on 1 weapon and putting it in the main slot for the extra 200~ weapon dmg and going sharpened on the offhand would be worth it.

    Nirn on the off hand would add like an extra 40 damage to character sheet so isn't worth it.

    I'm sure double sharp would be better for pve, but for pvp espically with a class such as nb who have armour reduction skills. Hmm.

    PS4 EU DC

    Current CP : 756+

    I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.


    RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Precise is better than both in PvE.

    precise is garbage in pve
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    teladoy wrote: »
    The question is: is the people runing in Cyrodill with high armor or high resistance?

    I have the feeling that the most part is just following the Mass without asking themselves if it is right or not.

    No, there was a thread somewhere.


    Even someone with full light will have close to 10k resists.
    5.2k penetration is like 8% more damage, 660 armour mitigates around 8% dmg, so therefore 8% penetration is a 8% increase.

    I'm still not sure if having a nirn and a sharp dw set up is better than 2x sharpened.

    The way duel wield has more dmg is because the second weapon add's 20% of it's amount to you character sheet.
    Hence why gold dw is like 1600 wpn/spell dmg and everything else is 1335 or something.

    Wondering if going 1 nirn on 1 weapon and putting it in the main slot for the extra 200~ weapon dmg and going sharpened on the offhand would be worth it.

    Nirn on the off hand would add like an extra 40 damage to character sheet so isn't worth it.

    I'm sure double sharp would be better for pve, but for pvp espically with a class such as nb who have armour reduction skills. Hmm.

    Nirn + Sharpened (on off hand) vs Sharpened + Shapened

    For PVP
    and assuming for sake of simplicity that there are no Damage Shields
    (Sharpened is useless against Damage Shields, Nirn is still beneficial)
    and assuming that the share LA/HA damage is not too big in the total damage
    (LA/HA damage scales in another way from SD/WD and stats than abilities)

    It depends on your build, how much SD/WD and stat you have stacked: the more stacked, the less likely Nirn will be better.
    And there is a break even you can calculate.

    But the tooltip damage will simply tell for your abilities what is better.
    If your tooltip ability damage goes up with more than 4% when you slot Nirn in your main hand, Nirn is better.
    (4% being the more damage from penetration on that main hand)

    Iif you assume that 20% of your enemies has damage shields and sharpened is only beneficial on 80% of your hits:
    Nirn needs only to be 80%*4% = 3.2% better on your ability tooltip.

    Edited by hrothbern on August 18, 2016 10:37AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs.
    Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.
    I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind sharpened literally ONLY effects damage and ONLY if you don't already penetrate fully. Certain classes do better with it then others bc they naturally don't have penetration with class skills.

    Nirnhoned and precise will effect healing as well as damage.
  • TheAngelofDeath99
    TheAngelofDeath99
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a PvE guy, go with Nirncrux, as enemies don't have the kind of resist that players do. If you're a PvP guy, go with sharpened, because as you know, players rack up 30k+ resist, so nirncrux wouldn't be effective.
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Charged > Sharpened > Nirnhoned > Precise
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a PvE guy, go with Nirncrux, as enemies don't have the kind of resist that players do. If you're a PvP guy, go with sharpened, because as you know, players rack up 30k+ resist, so nirncrux wouldn't be effective.

    Dungeon and trial bosses actually have a lot of resistance, making sharpened the best choice in any kind of PVE content by far.
  • jetpropulsion
    jetpropulsion
    Soul Shriven
    Sharpened. Precise. Nirnhoned. Aren't you tired, a little bit, of so many different opinions without the solid ground on which you can base your conclusions? I've seen a lot of threads, a lot of blogs addressing this issue. But this is not resolved.

    Some people say this. Some people say that. But, the issue is the following: how much you will really enjoy the game of Chess, if the rules of the game - after you perform your Sicilian opening - change, in a way that for example Queen can move the same way the Knight does? Perhaps it is only me thinking this way.

    The other issue is proper questioning and research. Let resolve it. Sharpened is the best and ">" for which weapons? And for which classes? On the builds counting how many Champion Points and where are these placed? What are the pros and cons, if any, of the traits?

    If sharpened is panacea and mother of all weapons, why then all the other traits exists? To make it harder build crafted sets?
  • Trashkan
    Trashkan
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't test it you will never know I roll nirn on my magika dk and am happy with 25k single target on blood spawn without warhorn. My sustain is kinda hard without Elle drain but I manage your tank can debuff and you can use cps for penetration as well so I would say do what you want not what the flavor of the month is.
    Edited by Trashkan on August 30, 2016 5:26PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is like the 5th time I have had this convo today. Haha.

    Sharpened is better than nirnhoned in every situation unless you are specifically attacking someone with a shield up in PVP.

    As of today, you want all damage weapons to be sharpened. There is no debating this. Nirn might be viable, especially if talking VMA dagger or something like that and its your only option, but Sharpened is always better.

    @jetpropulsion It is resolved, I promise you. It's not even a debate in PVP. Precise stinks because everyone runs impen. As I said earlier, there is a situational use for nirn because you cant penetrate shields with sharpened, but that is it.

    In PVE, show me one DPS in the top 5 of any VMA leaderboard or VMOL group, running precise on purpose and I will eat my words. Haha. Sharp simply pulls more in the real world. Math geeks can create situations on paper with enough Debuffs to suggest precise is better, but it's not reality. You cant keep them up enough of the time for precise to win out in a 6-8 minute trial fight. My Precise VMA inferno staff takes a back seat to a crafted sharpened staff because it always comes out ahead in DPS.
    Alliance/Platform: Ebonheart Pact - PC/NA - CP 1,100ish

    My Toons:
    DKs: Oreyn ßearclaw - Dunmer, Bear-m'Athra - Redguard, Bearzilla - Argonian
    Sorcs: Beary Jane - AR37- Breton, Bearricane - Orc, Molag Bear - Altmer (AD)
    NBs: Bearclaw Oreyn - Breton, Bearblade - Bosmer, ßearblade - Dunmer (DC)
    Temps: Gandalf Likes To Party - Altmer, Bearplar - Redguard, Bearamedic - Argonian
    Wardens: Warden Bearclaw - Altmer, Bear Jordan - Redguard, Bear's Hippie Girlfriend - Bosmer
    Necros: Bearomancer - Dunmer, ßearßones - Orc

    vCR+3, vAS+2, vHOFHM, vMOLHM, vSOHM, vHRCHM, vAAHM, vBRP, vDSA, Flawless Conqueror, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an argument to be made for defending in pvp; if everyone is running sharpened and defending negates sharpened then why not right? Math me up nerds ;)
    PC | EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    Community Ambassador
    I ran a mix of Precise and Nirnhorned on my characters for a while. Having moved them to Sharpened increased my DPS, quite a bit actually.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

    PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"

  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an argument to be made for defending in pvp; if everyone is running sharpened and defending negates sharpened then why not right? Math me up nerds ;)

    Because some builds don't even need sharpened to ignore your armour :pensive:

    My stam nb could lose sharpened and still have 7.5k~ penetration without it, thats without the mace passive either.

    You can go defending and all you'll do is lower your own damage :P
    PS4 EU DC

    Current CP : 756+

    I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.


    RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's an argument to be made for defending in pvp; if everyone is running sharpened and defending negates sharpened then why not right? Math me up nerds ;)

    Because some builds don't even need sharpened to ignore your armour :pensive:

    My stam nb could lose sharpened and still have 7.5k~ penetration without it, thats without the mace passive either.

    You can go defending and all you'll do is lower your own damage :P

    True ^

    Although, defending is all I have atm and in its defense (pun intended), when combined with some heavy armour, impen, boundless storm and the vamp passive it does make you ungankable. Damage sucks though, as you say.
    PC | EU
Sign In or Register to comment.