Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should i queue up as a tank?

Nhadyla
Nhadyla
My build is supposed to be tanky, but its not pure tank, i can take damage, ive built my character with heavy armor and i got a weapon with added damage migitation and ive tested it, i have about 8k physical resistance and 8k spell resistance.

However, i dont have a shield, i have a 2-handed weapon equipped.

My build is:

Hardened Armor
Burning Embers
Coagulating Blood
Brawler
Lava Whip

Should i queue up as a tank? I dont wanna go throught the whole leveling process without doing any dungeons.

This is for dungeons level 24 or lower.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As along as you have the taunt skills unlocked, it is pretty easy to tank normal dungeons, even in medium/light armor due to battle scaling.
  • Nhadyla
    Nhadyla
    susmitds wrote: »
    As along as you have the taunt skills unlocked, it is pretty easy to tank normal dungeons, even in medium/light armor due to battle scaling.

I just unlocked my Taunt skill which replaced Lava Whip, i have both Stamina and Magicka abilities on my hotbar now, hopefully i can manage.

EDIT: I cant use it with my 2-handed weapon, requires a shield, any ideas? I am a dragonknight.
    Edited by Nhadyla on August 7, 2016 2:38PM
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nhadyla wrote: »

I just unlocked my Taunt skill which replaced Lava Whip, i have both Stamina and Magicka abilities on my hotbar now, hopefully i can manage.

EDIT: I cant use it with my 2-handed weapon, requires a shield, any ideas? I am a dragonknight.

As a tank, you should use a sword and shield. You're going to be taking a majority of your groups damage so having a shield and blocking is important
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Nhadyla
    Nhadyla
    Oompuh wrote: »

As a tank, you should use a sword and shield. You're going to be taking a majority of your groups damage so having a shield and blocking is important

I already can take plenty of damage with my build, even with a 2-handed weapon.

Though i do wish there was a good way to test it without going into an actual dungeon and potentially inconviniencing 4 other individuals.
    Edited by Nhadyla on August 7, 2016 3:32PM
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Though i do wish there was a good way to test it without going into an actual dungeon and potentially inconviniencing 4 other individuals.

Are you above level 15? If you are you should have two bars and ultimates for that matter. When you get 15 you can equip a sword and shield AND a two hander. If you can't taunt you can't tank. There are 2 taunts in the entire game. The one in the shield line and one in the Undaunted line. You can't unlock the undaunted ones until you start doing dungeons.
    Edited by Oompuh on August 7, 2016 3:40PM
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • Nhadyla
    Nhadyla

Are you above level 15? If you are you should have two bars and ultimates for that matter. When you get 15 you can equip a sword and shield AND a two hander. If you can't taunt you can't tank. There are 2 taunts in the entire game. The one in the shield line and one in the Undaunted line. You can't unlock the undaunted ones until you start doing dungeons.

I dont have a shield in my inventory nor any idea how to get one, i only have 2k gold and i just bought my mount.

EDIT: I found a cheap one...
    Edited by Nhadyla on August 7, 2016 3:43PM
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are in the undaunted eventually you can unlock a taunt with no weapon restrictions.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you que as a tank, people expect you to take aggro of mobs and bosses - and maintain aggro and hold them still, so the damage dealers can kill them fast. This is why a taunt is required.

When you que as a damage dealer, people expect you to at least try to up your dps, that means a DD in 7/7 heavy armor + magicka and stamina skills slotted = no no, because the whole set up is gimped and can't do damage properly.

Keep those things in mind, when you que for a role - and try to perform it as good as possible.

<< that being said - low levels in general are often scared and try to either kite or run away from bosses and mobs, and everyone contributes with damage. Veteran dungeons depend heavily on the group setup and the damage dealers, because some DD's require many resource mangement skills from healers and tanks, while others require none so the tanks and healers can slot damage skills instead ... fights are all organized, people save ultimates up for specific bosses, and tanks draw mobs close to the damage dealers to aoe them down. The difference in how a group performs and synergize is really big between non veteran groups and veteran groups >.<
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try this guide I made OP https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/281446/curras-how-to-tank-guide#latest

Although I should add that 33k resistance is what you aim for at max level. If you go into a group finder dungeon your stats should get scaled up from your current 8k resist.
    Edited by Curragraigue on August 7, 2016 10:57PM
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭
    My build is supposed to be tanky, but its not pure tank, i can take damage, ive built my character with heavy armor and i got a weapon with added damage migitation and ive tested it, i have about 8k physical resistance and 8k spell resistance.

My build is:

Hardened Armor
    Burning Embers
    Coagulating Blood
    Brawler
    Lava Whip

Should i queue up as a tank? I dont wanna go throught the whole leveling process without doing any dungeons.

Id reccomend sword n shield 20k+ resistances and 20 to 25k hp with good stam regen. Possible in lv20s.
  • Nhadyla
    Nhadyla

My build is:

Hardened Armor
    Burning Embers
    Coagulating Blood
    Brawler
    Lava Whip

Id reccomend sword n shield 20k+ resistances and 20 to 25k hp with good stam regen. Possible in lv20s.

I dont think thats possible at low lvl 20s.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not have a taunt then do not queue as a tank. It is rude and irresponsible. Sometimes I will queue as a Tank on a Dps for normal dungeons but I will put on a taunt and keep the boss aggro'd so you do not necessarily need to be geared as a tank but you owe it to the others in the group to do the job you signed up for.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nhadyla , once you enter a group dungeon via the Grouping Tool (press P), your stats will be scaled to the max level equivalent.
    Then you can see how much physical and spell resistance you would have if you were max level.

In my personal experience, it is not worth building a tank while you are low level.
    I tried it, it sucks.

As soon as I changed the build to be purely damage, I had a much more easier time questing and doing solo content.
    Later on I have crafted and bought two additional sets, and simply switched sets depending on what I was about to do: play solo or tank in dungeons.

Another thing worth mentioning is: you should decide if you want to build a stamina or a magicka character.
    Yes, you can have both stamina and magicka skills on your bar, but make sure all your damaging skills are of the same resource.
    Skills that cost stamina will be more powerful if you have more max stamina and weapon power, and magicka skills gain power with max magicka and spell power.

Since blocking depletes stamina, people often build their characters around max stamina when tanking, but you can also build a magicka tank.
    For example, I have 4 tanks, one of each class, and only my Sorcerer is built as stamina.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My build is:

Hardened Armor
    Burning Embers
    Coagulating Blood
    Brawler
    Lava Whip

How did you get to 25K resistances and 20-25K health at the lvl 20 range?

I can sit buffed at 35K on both resistances and 25K health at max lvl with food. I am honestly not being a smart ass either. I am genuinely curious.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

My build is:

Hardened Armor
    Burning Embers
    Coagulating Blood
    Brawler
    Lava Whip

How did you get to 25K resistances and 20-25K health at the lvl 20 range?

I can sit buffed at 35K on both resistances and 25K health at max lvl with food. I am honestly not being a smart ass either. I am genuinely curious.

With the way scaling works if you have decent equipment, when you go into a scaled content(dungeon finder, scaled DLC content) your hps and a lot of your stats will actually be higher then a lot of what you can pull at max level.