Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Save yourselves 15 skill points: Don't use hirelings

• MrAppleman
    MrAppleman
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Edgemoor wrote: »
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.

The idea is to entice you to log everyday to use their product more. So yeah they did think about casuals. Just not in the way you'd like.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    elvenmad wrote: »
    Interesting... I thought it was just me and maybe just bad luck but I have definitely noticed a difference in Wax/Allot drop rates not only from the hirelings but also from refining mats.

They still do drop from refining but I am pretty sure since patch I am now having to refine at least twice as many mats to ever see one

With refining, it still seems to be the luck of the draw. I have upheld this good recommendation I received a while back to just refine within 100 ores and such at each crafting station, then go a different crafting and repeat. Before that, I used to refine from 500 to upwards of 1-2k at one crafting station and would just get 2-3 alloys, dreugh wax and such. Since doing the 100 a piece at a station, I would get a good 1-3 alloy/dreugh wax, at 1 of every third station (maybe 4th, at the most). Heck, I've even gotten 3 alloys or dreugh waxs from just refining 10 or gotten nothing from refining 100 at 3 different stations. Same with kuta. I have even gotten 4 in the same vicinity within a 5-10 minutes period and even 2 kutas at one spot, but also have gone through the an entire area map without getting one.. then I would come back to that same area later and would get some.

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I thought it was just me and maybe just bad luck but I have definitely noticed a difference in Wax/Allot drop rates not only from the hirelings but also from refining mats.

Same with the Writs they now cost more since patch and were only ,to me, worth doing for the chance of wax or alloys either from the quest box/bag or from refining the surveys, but seeing Wax/Alloys now is avery rare event.

They still do drop from refining but I am pretty sure since patch I am now having to refine at least twice as many mats to ever see one

@Lysette : respect shrine locations > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/64941/rededication-shrine-how-to-respec-skills-and-attributes

thank you, this helps a lot. I am off now to do it, the sooner the better - thanks again.

Unfortunately it will cost you 50 gold X the number of skill points you have invested in every skill. This is what stops me from bothering to do it. I have around 11 extra skill points unspent so until I need to spend them I just give my hirelings what they want. I have every skyshard in the game.

Would love for ZoS to give us the ability to refund skill points one+ at a time. Even if it cost more than 50g/skill.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Same with the Writs they now cost more since patch and were only ,to me, worth doing for the chance of wax or alloys either from the quest box/bag or from refining the surveys, but seeing Wax/Alloys now is avery rare event.

@Lysette : respect shrine locations > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/64941/rededication-shrine-how-to-respec-skills-and-attributes

thank you, this helps a lot. I am off now to do it, the sooner the better - thanks again.

Unfortunately it will cost you 50 gold X the number of skill points you have invested in every skill. This is what stops me from bothering to do it. I have around 11 extra skill points unspent so until I need to spend them I just give my hirelings what they want. I have every skyshard in the game.

Would love for ZoS to give us the ability to refund skill points one+ at a time. Even if it cost more than 50g/skill.

Yes, but it was just a lvl 15 character - I did a total respec of both - less 3000 gold - totally worth it - I feel so much better to finally gotten rid of this lazy ***, who called himself my hireling - now I can be happy again. :smile:
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hirelings are actually some quite usefull skills. Granted I only have time to do a couple dungeon runs on evenings and do a couple of VMSA runs on weekends. I don't have time to go out, gather and farm.

Hirelings gime me raw matts, crafting ingredients, even gold tempers from time to time. Hirelings are asesome.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hirelings are actually some quite usefull skills. Granted I only have time to do a couple dungeon runs on evenings and do a couple of VMSA runs on weekends. I don't have time to go out, gather and farm.

Hirelings gime me raw matts, crafting ingredients, even gold tempers from time to time. Hirelings are asesome.

Maybe all but the enchanter hireling - I just got rid of that one, because in my case, he just delivers in a year, what I can farm in an hour - I will do that later, that I have the good feeling, to 1. gotten rid of him and 2. have an equivalent of his deliveries for a year as well. 122 nodes to farm, this will be fun, any such node will make me more happy, because I got rid of him - finally.

It actually is nearly the same feeling as to get rid of a bad "partner" - thrown out and woops, happiness and joy returns.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 2:14PM
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Hirelings. I log on all 12 of my toons every 12 hours to get them.

I try to go "Offline" for this so I don't annoy people, but I've told them:

I do hirelings and I have a lot of toons. Sorry if I flood your chat box!!
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nine9six wrote: »
    I love the Hirelings. I log on all 12 of my toons every 12 hours to get them.

I try to go "Offline" for this so I don't annoy people, but I've told them:

I do hirelings and I have a lot of toons. Sorry if I flood your chat box!!

This is a good hint, I never thought about that this could be annoying to others like this - I will do that as well now, if I have to do that at prime time. Thank you for mentioning it. But isn't it just friends who can actually see that?
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 2:26PM
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I will do is fire this hireling - and reassign my skill points - to have peace in my mind again. He is not a loss, because like I showed, what he would deliver in a year to me, I can farm in an hour. Now I just have to find out how to do that.
    Wait...
    Hold on a minute...
    Back up...

Did you seriously just claim to be able to do something quickly and competently... And in the very next sentence admit you don't even know how?

Isn't that the basic plot line of a lot of forgettable comedy movies - "I am going to fire my hired driver because I can get myself to the airport better! And cheaper! I watch the guy drive, it isn't hard, he does it with one hand on the radio and talking to me all the time so it's a piece of cake! Now, what's this thing called a stick shift?"

Are you going to have pratfalls and a romantic interest provide valuable assistance and a 'wise old mentor' guide you into wisdom like what happens in all those formulaic laugh-track movies about personal growth?
    Xbox NA
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cryptical wrote: »
    What I will do is fire this hireling - and reassign my skill points - to have peace in my mind again. He is not a loss, because like I showed, what he would deliver in a year to me, I can farm in an hour. Now I just have to find out how to do that.
    Wait...
    Hold on a minute...
    Back up...

Did you seriously just claim to be able to do something quickly and competently... And in the very next sentence admit you don't even know how?

Isn't that the basic plot line of a lot of forgettable comedy movies - "I am going to fire my hired driver because I can get myself to the airport better! And cheaper! I watch the guy drive, it isn't hard, he does it with one hand on the radio and talking to me all the time so it's a piece of cake! Now, what's this thing called a stick shift?"

Are you going to have pratfalls and a romantic interest provide valuable assistance and a 'wise old mentor' guide you into wisdom like what happens in all those formulaic laugh-track movies about personal growth?

I did not know how to respec - not what you think. It is done now and I am happy again. I have my places where I farm runes, it is very efficient there, don't worry.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 3:07PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had extra points, the equipment ones bring me ores, raw wood, hide, flowers and tempers, and at rank three they fire twice a day.

Would I like more? Sure, but they are not abysmal. These weren't meant, imo anyway, to replace actually harvesting stuff.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would like them to introduce an alchemy hireling

and

change the 3rd tier hirling from mail every 12 hrs, to a higher quality mail every 24 hrs, maybe providing twice the amount of supplies it currently provides but in 1 mail.

(increased chance of gold tempers would be nice of course)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it would be a help, if rank 3 would stack them - sending me the results when I have time to play in a compact mail or a few compact mails, so that I am not missing out just because my time to play is very limited. How rank 3 currently is, it just benefits those, who do not know something else beside gaming - not really a good move IMO.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 3:16PM
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play everyday, and could easily pick up both hirlings everyday on 7 characters, but im lazy!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.

As a casual myself, I don't agree. I believe firmly in getting rewarded for what you do while in the game, and I don't expect to be as well rewarded as someone who spends more time in the game than me.

I would agree, if this would be a reward, but it is a paid service.

I'm not entirely sure how you mean that. I assume you don't mean that allocating a skill point is a paid service, but that paying a subscription means that you should receive everything the game offers each day whether you log in or not. The subscription merely gives you access to the game as much as you want for the month, it doesn't mean you can get the ingame benefits whether you log in or not. You're still required to actually play the game in order to progress in it.
    Edited by Tandor on August 7, 2016 3:19PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play everyday, and could easily pick up both hirlings everyday on 7 characters, but im lazy!

Good point - why not make an account delivery then - with rank 3. The mail box is anyway account based and not character based. It could deliver the mails for all characters when you log in with one of your characters, regardless which one. It would reduce as well the load on the login servers.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 3:20PM
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've had a gold drop in 3 weeks from mail
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point - why not make an account delivery then - with rank 3. The mail box is anyway account based and not character based. It could deliver the mails for all characters when you log in with one of your characters, regardless which one. It would reduce as well the load on the login servers.

that is taking lazy to a new level, i like it ;)
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a casual myself, I don't agree. I believe firmly in getting rewarded for what you do while in the game, and I don't expect to be as well rewarded as someone who spends more time in the game than me.

I would agree, if this would be a reward, but it is a paid service.

I'm not entirely sure how you mean that. I assume you don't mean that allocating a skill point is a paid service, but that paying a subscription means that you should receive everything the game offers each day whether you log in or not. The subscription merely gives you access to the game as much as you want for the month, it doesn't mean you can get the ingame benefits whether you log in or not. You're still required to actually play the game in order to progress in it.

yes 1 skill point is an investment into this service - I was not fond of the service quality, so I respected and got refunded - that is how I see that - even it costed me gold, but I got my skill point back. To a low level character 1 skill point means a lot.

Paid service as in "hiring" the hireling - that is paying for the hireling - to spend 1 skill point - that is not different to buy ESO - you pay once for the service and you can use it as long as you want - same with this hireling - I paid with 1 skill point for a service of the hireling.

But I got a lot more back than this skill point - I got my peace of mind back and can be happy again - stuff like this bothers me a lot, I do not like it to hire someone who is a lazy bum and I cannot fire him, because I do not know how - but now I know, finally, and have done it.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 3:32PM
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordsavage wrote: »
    Eventually you have so many skill points you have nothing to use them on except hirelings. There is no negative only rewards so stop trying to spread this misinformation.

With provisioner I get 3 stacks of 15 items in a mail. That's 60 food or drink items when combined without having to gather anything. I'm not complaining.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CapnPhoton wrote: »
    nordsavage wrote: »
    Eventually you have so many skill points you have nothing to use them on except hirelings. There is no negative only rewards so stop trying to spread this misinformation.

With provisioner I get 3 stacks of 15 items in a mail. That's 60 food or drink items when combined without having to gather anything. I'm not complaining.

Yes, these hirelings I like as well a lot - I get just 10 items in 2 stacks, but I have just 1 point invested, so all is fine. But I might as well respec at some point in time, because I do not have the time to actually eat and drink what I can craft :blush:
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 3:45PM
  • Elfbait
    Elfbait
    ✭✭✭
    I think the powers that be should definitely take a fresh look at hirelings and rebalance their "deliveries." Last summer, when I was playing ESO, I relied on my enchanting hirelings for Kutas and Haokos, and very rarely was I lucky enough to gather them myself.

Then they changed the way rune nodes work ( I miss seeing the blue ones flickering), and for me they are now absurdly generous. I've gathered eleven Kutas in the last week alone, and almost as many Haokos. Sure it's all RNG, but good god. I am definitely outgathering my hireling, and as much as I do actually enjoy the letters themselves, the skill points I've invested in them now seem ill placed.
  • Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??

i dunno m8. I get more gold mats/kuta fro, my hirling than Inever have from doing writs.

how's that for sad. And I do writs on 3 toons xD
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??

i dunno m8. I get more gold mats/kuta fro, my hirling than Inever have from doing writs.

how's that for sad. And I do writs on 3 toons xD

Writs do not give a lot of those, true - but farming nodes gives quite some compared to this - especially Kuta, even on the very basic introductory islands where you emerge at level 3 now.

This said, I think I got more tempering alloy from writs than I ever found in the wild harvesting. And maybe I was just unlucky, but I cannot remember to have ever harvested dreugh wax.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 4:25PM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 7 Hirelings on 8 characters. Back when all the new recipes came out I was running their writs every day and selling Provisioning Kits with all the ingredients.

I haven't been leveling those alts every day since the cake, but now with the CP system I'm back to getting them to L50 to start SIlver-Gold CP farming.

But the hirelings, all Level 3, deliver enough boosters and enough materials to refine for more boosters to earn me 100K+ every weekend. I save up their returns until Friday night and do all my refining and list it all. By Sunday Morning I have over 100K in booster/Ingredient sales and more than enough to buy Raffle Tickets on 5 Guilds.

All in all they have earned their effort to establish many times over, at least for my play time.
    Edited by SpAEkus on August 7, 2016 5:33PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key to hirelings is to have a lot of them. Just having them on one character makes them pretty frustrating.

I don't know if there has been a stealth nerf to the hirelings since the update, but I have noticed less in the way of good tempers, of any kind, with my hireling mails. I still get them, but I get less. And, I have gotten a couple of Kuta's but that is about all for Gold upgrades.

However, RNG Ebbs and Flows with hirelings, so that could be the reason for the drought. But is really sparse lately.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 characters with hirelings at 3/3 for all professions. I'm swimming in mats and tempers.
    I sell stacks of 200x overflow for good gold on a daily basis.
    shades.gif
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the stupidest thing ever
  • Blackleopardex
    Blackleopardex
    ✭✭✭✭

Here we go again about equal gain for 0 effort, what world are you living in. I'm gonna try ask my boss if I can get the same payment as my co-worker that works 15 hours more then me a week, you know, just because I'm a casual worker and not a over time hard-working guy why should I get less?... Seriously tho we are talking about logging in, not playing for 5 hours, you can literally be online for 5 seconds and log off again, that must be sooooo hard?

I have a hireling - I do not have to work or be there for him to send me a mail - it makes total sense to me.

And what world am I living in?- South africa, here it is still pretty colonial, which means, bigger houses have servants and are supposed to have them, because most see it as your duty, to hire staff to create workplaces for them. And if you come here as a foreigner via business permit, it is even a requirement to hire at least 5 south africans and invest a good amount of money into the country before you can apply for permanent resident permit - so I am an employer, that is the world I am living in. It is not a shame to hire people, because this way they have a job and do not have to be poor.

That hireling in ESO is just that, a person who has to work for me, regardless if I am there or not.

And yes, it is hard to just login for that - because it frustrates to not be able to play then - and I avoid frustration if I can.

And I will tell you something else, because this is not clear for a person from the western world - it was as well not for us. If you live here and have the opportunity to hire staff and don't do that, people consider you to be asocial. When we came here, we had this european idea of that to have servants is decadent and snobism and we did not want to hire them and do all the work by ourself - house keeping and all that. But then our neighbors started to complain, that we are not giving a good example and would hurt the reputation of the suburb. And the normal people looked on us like we would be asocial aliens, because we did not sent our staff to shop for grocery. This is just not nice to do here, to do things yourself, if you can afford to hire people to do it for you - we had to learn this as well first.

It does not in a MMORPG at least for me. Your not paying anything for it, if you paid gold ever day to get those mails then sure you cud claim that you pay for it, but you don't. At all.

And do you even know why it is like that? Because Zenimax wants people to login and play the game. They don't wanna reward people that didn't bother to login that day, face the facts...

And the rest of what you said is so irrelevant in this discussion I'm not even gonna comment on it.
    Edited by Blackleopardex on August 7, 2016 9:43PM
    6 NB: Tank, Healer, Mag/Stam PVE&PVP.
    I don't read long signatures: https://www.youtube.com/user/Blackleopardex
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they bring you 1 gold item in 2 months it is one more time then you would have had.

If you have the skill points sitting around they should be working for you.
    Edited by acw37162 on August 7, 2016 10:01PM