Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Save yourselves 15 skill points: Don't use hirelings

Valn
Valn
✭✭✭✭✭
Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??

The only reliable way to get Frost Miriam is from the Provisioning Hireling. You dont always get it from doing the writs. You need to to make purple food.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially enchanter hirelings are crap - mine brought me today "Jera Oko Ta" - is he wanting to troll me?- Seriously, 3 rune stones for one petty glyph of health - worthless crap.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 6:35AM
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edgemoor wrote: »
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 6:37AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My provisioning hirelings are nice though - they bring useful stuff which would otherwise be work to acquire.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never used equipment crafting hirelings - how much stuff do they bring per delivery - about how much is that?
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...with the crafting bag it's more difficult to see what you bring in. I've always had enough skill points to just toss them in crafting as much as possible with each character.

If only there was an inventory list within the mail so it said what they contain.
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here.

I have 48 hireling mails every 12 hours (12 toons * wood+cloth+ench+smith * tier3).
    And I'm totally disappointed with the golden mats droprate: it's much lower than before.
    I'm lucky to have 4 golden mats per day. Usually I get 1.

And it's a really boring procedure to get that mail.

Purple droprate is kewl, yet golden - not at all, it was much better a year ago.
    Edited by Alex_Lex on August 7, 2016 7:06AM
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eventually you have so many skill points you have nothing to use them on except hirelings. There is no negative only rewards so stop trying to spread this misinformation.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Refuse2GrowUp
    Refuse2GrowUp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish they would get rid of Snake Blood passive in the Alchemy tree and give us an alchemy hireling, as the provisioner hireling is very useful and an alchemy hireling might be worth its weight in gold...especially considering Snake Blood is a garbage, uselss passive.

That said, I have 11 fully leveled toons and all of them have all hirelings available. Since I am an ESO+ and have the crafting bag, I never really see what I get anymore, but still, I am sure the mats are helping me keep up with daily writs and I know I used to get a gold mat or two every couple days, so why not really. As @Edgemoor stated, skill points are easy enough to come by end-game.
    PS4 NA Server

CP160 DK Firemage
    CP160 StamSorc
    CP160 Templar Healer
    CP160 Stam NB
    CP160 Magica Sorc
    Cp160 Stamplar
    CP160 Magicka NB
    CP160 DK Tank
    CP160 Stam DK
    CP160 Mag Templar
    CP160 Blazing Shield Templar

EP Loyalist
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Past 2 weeks? I can count how many gold mats I've received from hirelings in the past 1.5 years on one hand and none of which were Tempering Alloys. I still put 15 points into them though because what else are you going to spend skill points on when you have 300+?
    PC EU
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.

Just one point in each then I guess would be enough, but I take your point. Problem is being too generous means folk that can play more get way too much. Not sure what the solution would be.

A larger delivery once a week perhaps, but then I suspect ZOS want to encourage players to log in each day.
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got some gold mats from hirelings. Yes, it's rare, but I'm not farming all the time, plus having a steady income of mats is pretty nice. Definitely not where you should invest your skill points first, but definitely not a complete waste either.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm...with the crafting bag it's more difficult to see what you bring in. I've always had enough skill points to just toss them in crafting as much as possible with each character.

If only there was an inventory list within the mail so it said what they contain.

hm, on PC the contents are in the right lower corner of the mail as icons - you can see how many those are as well.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 7:27AM
  • Refuse2GrowUp
    Refuse2GrowUp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hm, on PC the contents are in the right lower corner of the mail as icons - you can see how many those are as well.

On console you simply see the icons of items received on the bottom of the mail and have to click to see an actual list (for those that don't readily recognize icons). Easy enough to see what you are getting, but still (I would assume) most of us just quickly click the mails and move on.
    PS4 NA Server

CP160 DK Firemage
    CP160 StamSorc
    CP160 Templar Healer
    CP160 Stam NB
    CP160 Magica Sorc
    Cp160 Stamplar
    CP160 Magicka NB
    CP160 DK Tank
    CP160 Stam DK
    CP160 Mag Templar

EP Loyalist
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall I do think it's worthwhile, I've had a few Kuta's. And overtime have plenty of every provisioning ingredient so never collect anything in the field. Metal / Cloth / Wood isn't awesome, a trait gem or two and a temper but rarely gold. The rate is better if you are level 10 with 10 SP's assigned for sure.

You have to do Writs if you want Golds.

Also @Unsent.Soul you can see the content of the mail. On Xbox you click the right stick in and if gives you the list.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just one point in each then I guess would be enough, but I take your point. Problem is being too generous means folk that can play more get way too much. Not sure what the solution would be.

A larger delivery once a week perhaps, but then I suspect ZOS want to encourage players to log in each day.

Nah just stacking deliveries - just like it is in RL when you go on vacation - your mail box will fill up with deliveries.
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭

Nah just stacking deliveries - just like it is in RL when you go on vacation - your mail box will fill up with deliveries.

If only :smile:
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On console you simply see the icons of items received on the bottom of the mail and have to click to see an actual list (for those that don't readily recognize icons). Easy enough to see what you are getting, but still (I would assume) most of us just quickly click the mails and move on.

Maybe, I normally check what I got - the icon has a small white number in the corner of the icon if it is more than one piece.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If only :smile:

ok, we do not go on vacation as well, we call it "business trip" and deduct it from taxes - guess you meant that :smiley:
  • Refuse2GrowUp
    Refuse2GrowUp
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe, I normally check what I got - the icon has a small white number in the corner of the icon if it is more than one piece.

Yup, same on console.
    Edit: PS4 at least; don't see why XB1 would be different.
    Edited by Refuse2GrowUp on August 7, 2016 7:38AM
    PS4 NA Server

CP160 DK Firemage
    CP160 StamSorc
    CP160 Templar Healer
    CP160 Stam NB
    CP160 Magica Sorc
    Cp160 Stamplar
    CP160 Magicka NB
    CP160 DK Tank
    CP160 Stam DK
    CP160 Mag Templar

EP Loyalist
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The enchanter hireling is just an annoyance, because I get more runes from a single rune node than what is in the delivery. That is really something where I scratch my head, why ZOS cannot be a bit more generous, even if those are just virtual items. This greed is driving me nuts, even when it costs them nothing at all, they are not generous,.
  • Bryanonymous
    Bryanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't care about the skill points or the items that they give... I got sick of getting them in the mail every day. Too much like spam when I am expecting guild store sales.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 toons with maxed Hirelings.

Dont get gold mats very often but seems every few days you get at least one.

Get lots of purples, tons of blues/greens.

I never really added up the value in gold these are worth but for me it must be close to like at min 500 gold per toon per day so 500 X 10 = 5000 gold or more depending on how many purples you get, then add 2500 to 7000 gold for the occasional gold mat every few days.

Double that if you do it every 12 hours but some days i can only do it once a day.

So not really worth it if you are lite on skill points, but if you have 300 plus then its just a matter of opening a few mails, plus since I upgrade the stable everyday on all 10 toons they get logged in anyways.

Eh, there are faster ways to make gold I guess lol.

Oh just did a sampling on one toon, I totaled 2170 gold worth of mats , thats with Zero gold mats. I forgot about the raw ore you can get , those can really add up.

BS- 750 gold
    Clothing- 900 gold
    WW- 80 gold
    Enchanting- 200 gold
    Prov - 220 gold

Just went through all 10 toons, and Zero Gold mats so far today.
    Edited by Reevster on August 7, 2016 8:52AM
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get Gold items on a pretty regular basis, so I couldn't disagree more about it currently being worthwhile. Sure i wouldn't complain about a buff to the drop rate of good stuff, but it's unquestionably worthwhile exactly as it is.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on August 7, 2016 8:24AM
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get gold once a week on some of them though they need a tweak so they seen minium 10-20 of the crafting level Mats 3 reubedo as the only thing in the mail is a joke
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, but.. I like when they send me mail..
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Unsent.Soul

On xbox, if you click the right stick, it shows you mail attachments. I imagine pc and ps4 have this function too.
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 gold tempering from hireling in the past 2 weeks every bit helps.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meh, I enjoy logging and and reading the dramatic struggles they endured to bring me stuff,plus I have nowhere else to put the points anyways