Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Save yourselves 15 skill points: Don't use hirelings

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edgemoor wrote: »
    Lysette wrote: »
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.

Just one point in each then I guess would be enough, but I take your point. Problem is being too generous means folk that can play more get way too much. Not sure what the solution would be.

A larger delivery once a week perhaps, but then I suspect ZOS want to encourage players to log in each day.

This was designed back when ZOS wanted subscribers and wanted people in the game to keep them subscribed. Now, with the Crown Store, it is not necessary. I expect that they will eventually rework hireling mail to make it more friendly to the people who do not camp out in the game all day.

As for using the hirelings, I will put one point in. No more.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jkemmery wrote: »
    Valn wrote: »
    Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??

The only reliable way to get Frost Miriam is from the Provisioning Hireling. You dont always get it from doing the writs. You need to to make purple food.

Frost Mirriam is dirt cheap.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • TheDarkoil
    TheDarkoil
    ✭✭✭
    This week I got 1 Kuta and on the same day 2 Dreugh wax! Berverez Juice and Frost Mirram x 5 are also handy for tri pots and ambrosia.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially enchanter hirelings are crap - mine brought me today "Jera Oko Ta" - is he wanting to troll me?- Seriously, 3 rune stones for one petty glyph of health - worthless crap.

Just in case you are not aware - the level of the rune you receive depends on how many points you put into the crafting passive.

If you are getting runes for petty glyphs you probably did not put any points in there (having enchanting skill maxed is not enough).

Same with the other crafts - if you can only craft iron items with blacksmithing(because you didn't put any points into the passive), then your hireling will be bringing you iron materials, even if your blacksmithing skill is 50.
    Edited by Sharee on August 7, 2016 9:51AM
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Especially enchanter hirelings are crap - mine brought me today "Jera Oko Ta" - is he wanting to troll me?- Seriously, 3 rune stones for one petty glyph of health - worthless crap.

Maybe you didn't pay him well so he trolled you with Oko Ta. :D Watch out in the future, maybe he'll give you just a stone counterfeits instead of runes. ;)
    Edited by maboleth on August 7, 2016 9:55AM
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Valn wrote: »
    Waste of skill points tin my opinion. I get much more just gathering for 10 minutes. These past 2 weeks I've never got a gold crafting item from them, yet I get lots from gathering.

I'd like to see a higher rate of gold items, or maybe hireling specific recipes, styles or something unique to hirelings. Maybe a hireling hat??

12 characters with 3/3 hirelings in all the craft skills results in quite a lot of materials every day.

It does take a little time to click and delete each mail, but since getting my alts leveled up for the hirelings, the only gathering I've needed to do is for lorkhan tears
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that character is just level 15 - so there is just 1 point in potency yet for this character - Jera is ok, that requires that point, but Oko and Ta are basic runes. I find it just so ridiculous and regret to have spent this skill point at all, because when I harvest a rune node, I get most likely more and better runes than this - from a single rune stone - so what has my hireling done all the time?- he was absolutely lazy and I am not happy with this service. Guess I will have to reassign my skill points and fire him.

Actually I am angry with ZOS to create a hireling which is just an annoyance and not helpful and his laziness drives me nuts. The point is, any time I get a mail from this hireling, it kills my mood and I get angry over this ungenerous creation from ZOS - it is a damned virtual good and costs them nothing at all and they are not generous - it costed a skill point and the service is just like a lot of their services, not really worth it. I expect a bit more generosity than this - it is just like they were at the beginning with 1 gold per mob and 2 for a boss. It just does not get to my mind, how someone can be that greedy and ungenerous over a virtual good and kill my mood with it.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 10:16AM
  • Blackleopardex
    Blackleopardex
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can get so many skill points later on it's really not that much of a big deal, and they do usually return a reasonable amount for the points investment.

If you can play every day that is - but these deliveries do not stack - if a casual can just play on 3 days in a week, he will get just 3 deliveries, not 7 for example. ZOS was again not generous with this and did not think about casuals.

Here we go again about equal gain for 0 effort, what world are you living in. I'm gonna try ask my boss if I can get the same payment as my co-worker that works 15 hours more then me a week, you know, just because I'm a casual worker and not a over time hard-working guy why should I get less?... Seriously tho we are talking about logging in, not playing for 5 hours, you can literally be online for 5 seconds and log off again, that must be sooooo hard?
    Edited by Blackleopardex on August 7, 2016 10:28AM
    6 NB: Tank, Healer, Mag/Stam PVE&PVP.
    I don't read long signatures: https://www.youtube.com/user/Blackleopardex
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I got 2 dreugh wax in one mail yesterday... Happens at least once a week + tempering alloys sometimes.
    And hireling are a good source of provisioning ingredients.
    And in any case, its not that those skill points are very valuable, especially after all those dlcs with free skyshards and skil point rewards...
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on August 7, 2016 10:45AM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 10 characters with maxed hirelings. I'm doing great. 100% worth the 150 skill points. Some weeks i make over 50k from just them.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again about equal gain for 0 effort, what world are you living in. I'm gonna try ask my boss if I can get the same payment as my co-worker that works 15 hours more then me a week, you know, just because I'm a casual worker and not a over time hard-working guy why should I get less?... Seriously tho we are talking about logging in, not playing for 5 hours, you can literally be online for 5 seconds and log off again, that must be sooooo hard?

I have a hireling - I do not have to work or be there for him to send me a mail - it makes total sense to me.

And what world am I living in?- South africa, here it is still pretty colonial, which means, bigger houses have servants and are supposed to have them, because most see it as your duty, to hire staff to create workplaces for them. And if you come here as a foreigner via business permit, it is even a requirement to hire at least 5 south africans and invest a good amount of money into the country before you can apply for permanent resident permit - so I am an employer, that is the world I am living in. It is not a shame to hire people, because this way they have a job and do not have to be poor.

That hireling in ESO is just that, a person who has to work for me, regardless if I am there or not.

And yes, it is hard to just login for that - because it frustrates to not be able to play then - and I avoid frustration if I can.

And I will tell you something else, because this is not clear for a person from the western world - it was as well not for us. If you live here and have the opportunity to hire staff and don't do that, people consider you to be asocial. When we came here, we had this european idea of that to have servants is decadent and snobism and we did not want to hire them and do all the work by ourself - house keeping and all that. But then our neighbors started to complain, that we are not giving a good example and would hurt the reputation of the suburb. And the normal people looked on us like we would be asocial aliens, because we did not sent our staff to shop for grocery. This is just not nice to do here, to do things yourself, if you can afford to hire people to do it for you - we had to learn this as well first.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 11:58AM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hirelings send out a "package" every 12 hours (from when you last received.)
    This is done on purpose, by design, so players will log on frequently. The mails should not stack, IMO.

Yes, you can gather/farm the same materials (except the purple ingredients) faster than you get the mail but why be upset with receiving free supplies in the mail?

If you dislike the items you are getting, feel free to forward them my direction. I always appreciate generous offers and free stuff...not sure why someone else wouldn't.
    PS4: NA - AD PSN: imnotanother (Artell Lyeselle)
    Stamina NightBlade 810+ CP - PvP/Trials/Dungeon Ready
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    But..but.. their stories are fun :smile: Especially the khajit's one haha
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not really complain about it, it is just something what does not really make sense to me, because I have a hireling. It should not matter if I am there or not. I did not even know that it is all 12 hours, this makes it even worse - so you guys get 14 packages per week, because you have the time to care and play, and I receive eventually 3 or 4 - and you think that is fair?
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 12:04PM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not really complain about it, it is just something what does not really make sense to me, because I have a hireling. It should not matter if I am there or not. I did not even know that it is all 12 hours, this makes it even worse - so you guys get 14 packages per week, because you have the time to care and play, and I receive eventually 3 or 4 - and you think that is fair?
    Yes, those players log in and invested real life time.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I like with EVE online - I gain skills if I am online or not - I make money, if I am online or not, because I have setup the production lines and NPC staff is doing the job. I just have to set it up so, that it is ready, when I can play. EVE is one of the most casual friendly games I have ever experienced - it could be like that, it does not have to be just for hardcore gamers.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is done on purpose, by design, so players will log on frequently. The mails should not stack, IMO.

Yes, you can gather/farm the same materials (except the purple ingredients) faster than you get the mail but why be upset with receiving free supplies in the mail?

If you dislike the items you are getting, feel free to forward them my direction. I always appreciate generous offers and free stuff...not sure why someone else wouldn't.

See, that is again the point - it isn't free - I had to invest a skill point. And as this is just a level 15 character, this is one of a few skill points this character has - I should have invested it into something else than an enchanter hireling - would have been better. And I would have done this, if I would have known, what a lousy job this hireling does.

And due to that I get just about 3-4 packs per week - these are just about (taking 3.5 now) 182 deliveries per year - with an average of 2 runes per delivery - 364 runes per year - now given that I get about 3 runes from a rune stone node, I have to harvest 122 nodes to have the same result - how long would that take me?- maybe 30 seconds for one with the way inbetween as well - and this is 61 minutes then. And this is what really makes me angry - when it takes this hireling a year for what could be done in an hour. And for this lousy job a skill point is too much paid.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 12:26PM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I like with EVE online - I gain skills if I am online or not - I make money, if I am online or not, because I have setup the production lines and NPC staff is doing the job. I just have to set it up so, that it is ready, when I can play. EVE is one of the most casual friendly games I have ever experienced - it could be like that, it does not have to be just for hardcore gamers.

See, that is again the point - it isn't free - I had to invest a skill point. And as this is just a level 15 character, this is one of a few skill points this character has - I should have invested it into something else than an enchanter hireling - would have been better. And I would have done this, if I would have known, what a lousy job this hireling does.

Well, sounds like you need to go play EVE since it caters to your playing style.

Not trying to be rude but you must realize that this is a different game.

In ESO, your character is a freelance crafter. I am unaware of production line, etc.

BUT I do agree with many that the items (loot table) received could be improved. Unique recipes, Psijic recipe fragments, etc.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, sounds like you need to go play EVE since it caters to your playing style.

Not trying to be rude but you must realize that this is a different game.

In ESO, your character is a freelance crafter. I am unaware of production line, etc.

BUT I do agree with many that the items (loot table) received could be improved. Unique recipes, Psijic recipe fragments, etc.

i an playing EVE as well - since 2008 - because I can due to their game design - if I have time, fine, if I don't, I will not be in a disadvantage - but that is just one of my points - the enchanter hireling is a lazy bum, and this drives me crazy, I hate overly lazy employees (and that is my complain towards ZOS, that they cannot be generous, not even with things which cost them nothing at all) and I had to overpay him with 1 skill point on top of it, because no one told me how lousy this service really is, and to correct that, it will again cost me money - this is what angers me. And I have to correct this, because this is ruining my game experience totally - it kills my mood everytime I see how little I get.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 12:38PM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And due to that I get just about 3-4 packs per week - these are just about (taking 3.5 now) 182 deliveries per year - with an average of 2 runes per delivery - 364 runes per year - now given that I get about 3 runes from a rune stone node, I have to harvest 122 nodes to have the same result - how long would that take me?- maybe 30 seconds for one with the way inbetween as well - and this is 61 minutes then. And this is what really makes me angry - when it takes this hireling a year for what could be done in an hour. And for this lousy job a skill point is too much paid.
    Well, from a previous post we were both active in, you argued about opportunity cost.
    Maybe you are better off getting the hireling mail than farming, since you could have done something more beneficial in that time. Plus, you must remember that you choose how often you log in. IMO, you should not be rewarded equally to another player that logs in once every 12 hours.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, from a previous post we were both active in, you argued about opportunity cost.
    Maybe you are better off getting the hireling mail than farming, since you could have done something more beneficial in that time. Plus, you must remember that you choose how often you log in. IMO, you should not be rewarded equally to another player that logs in once every 12 hours.

What I will do is fire this hireling - and reassign my skill points - to have peace in my mind again. He is not a loss, because like I showed, what he would deliver in a year to me, I can farm in an hour. Now I just have to find out how to do that.

And no I cannot just live with it in this case, because I would stop playing if I'd have to keep him - this makes me just not want to log in, because the first I will hear is the "bing" from the mail - and I will be remembered of it. So I have to get rid of him, no matter what.

This is not a reward - it is a service for which I had to pay 1 skill point.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 12:52PM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What I will do is fire this hireling - and reassign my skill points - to have peace in my mind again. He is not a loss, because like I showed, what he would deliver in a year to me, I can farm in an hour. Now I just have to find out how to do that.

And no I cannot just live with it in this case, because I would stop playing if I'd have to keep him - this makes me just not want to log in, because the first I will hear is the "bing" from the mail - and I will be remembered of it. So I have to get rid of him, no matter what.
    You will need to respec your character with a scroll or the shrine.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

do you know where those shrines are - I do not want to pay ZOS for creating something what angers me that much in this case. Well,don't bother, I will just search on youtube, there should be a video for that as well.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 12:55PM
  • imnotanother
    imnotanother
    ✭✭✭✭✭

do you know where those shrines are - I do not want to pay ZOS for creating something what angers me that much in this case. Well,don't bother, I will just search on youtube, there should be a video for that as well.

I use the one in Grahtwood. I am actually not aware of the other factions locations, sorry. It does cost gold,FYI.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the one in Grahtwood. I am actually not aware of the other factions locations, sorry. It does cost gold,FYI.

I think my character is in DC, who has this hireling - I will try Wayrest, the capital - maybe there - thanks. And yes, I know that it costs gold, but it is a level 15 character, so it will not be much.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 1:00PM
  • elvenmad
    elvenmad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I thought it was just me and maybe just bad luck but I have definitely noticed a difference in Wax/Allot drop rates not only from the hirelings but also from refining mats.

Same with the Writs they now cost more since patch and were only ,to me, worth doing for the chance of wax or alloys either from the quest box/bag or from refining the surveys, but seeing Wax/Alloys now is avery rare event.

They still do drop from refining but I am pretty sure since patch I am now having to refine at least twice as many mats to ever see one

@Lysette : respect shrine locations > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/64941/rededication-shrine-how-to-respec-skills-and-attributes
    Edited by elvenmad on August 7, 2016 1:07PM
    < PC - EU >
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a casual myself, I don't agree. I believe firmly in getting rewarded for what you do while in the game, and I don't expect to be as well rewarded as someone who spends more time in the game than me.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I did have hirelings, but did not use my points for them after reallocating. Although, I did get temp alloy once in a while when I had the hireling, but farming and refining to get the alloys still outweigh burning the skill points.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

As a casual myself, I don't agree. I believe firmly in getting rewarded for what you do while in the game, and I don't expect to be as well rewarded as someone who spends more time in the game than me.

I would agree, if this would be a reward, but it is a paid service.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    elvenmad wrote: »
    Interesting... I thought it was just me and maybe just bad luck but I have definitely noticed a difference in Wax/Allot drop rates not only from the hirelings but also from refining mats.

Same with the Writs they now cost more since patch and were only ,to me, worth doing for the chance of wax or alloys either from the quest box/bag or from refining the surveys, but seeing Wax/Alloys now is avery rare event.

They still do drop from refining but I am pretty sure since patch I am now having to refine at least twice as many mats to ever see one

@Lysette : respect shrine locations > https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/64941/rededication-shrine-how-to-respec-skills-and-attributes

thank you, this helps a lot. I am off now to do it, the sooner the better - thanks again.
    Edited by Lysette on August 7, 2016 1:26PM