The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Less lag since patch dropped?

forzajuve212
forzajuve212
✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure what everyone else's experience has been in PVP since the new dlc patch went live but for the first time in a long time, there was no game breaking lag. I was sitting at 100-150 ping during primetime TF with all factions locked, DC AD and EP zergs everywhere. I don't know if this post will be short lived (fingers crossed) but props ZOS for proving us wrong so far, you may have actually reduced the lag. Even fighting 20-40 people, there was no lag. I think the capturable towns change was really a game changer, many groups are spreading out along the map and fights aren't being condensed along emp keep lines. Whether people will do this long term remains to be seen, but at least we have some hope! Thanks for your continued work @ZOS_BrianWheeler !
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to read this as I wait in console land.
  • Aromak
    Aromak
    ✭✭
    I also played for couple hours yesterday and felt the same way. At first I was expecting the lag to hit soon before giving my hopes up, but the entire experience went well. In fact, it kept me playing longer just to see lol. Ping never hit red, lowest fps was around 15, still playable at all times! :)
  • NACtron
    NACtron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of players in my guild noticed an improvement with the gameplay last night. Myself included. It was quite refreshing :)
    Pact Militia GM
    Nikolai the Nord - Stamplar

• blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because pvp wasn't as full as usual

People were doing the new pve content
    Fire Cloak - VR12 DK - Nord - EP
    Ámeer - VR15 Templar - Imperial - AD
    The Mágician - VR16 Templar - Imperial DC
    Magíc - VR16 DK - Dark Elf - DC
    Àmeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - DC
    ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - AD
    Æ ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - EP
    Ameer Flow - Level 34 Nightblade - High Elf - EP

Youtube:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCFNmXCgmTVo-T-p1BIVLxbQ
  • loki547
    loki547
    ✭✭✭✭
    blabafat wrote: »

^this
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whether it was less people in PvP, I don't care, the towns will surely spread some people out for me to fight. Sick of the zergs more than anything atm.
    PC EU
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    blabafat wrote: »

+2
    Every new update you have the feeling that there are some improvements because people do pve (the new content). When they are back is the same terrible performance.
    Because I can!
  • forzajuve212
    forzajuve212
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess let's wait till Friday-Saturday primetime EST to see if it really is better, but the signs are encouraging i think
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    For clarification... population in Trueflame PC US last night was at nearly the same population as it was the Monday prior, give or take a dozen or so players. Currently looking at the EU servers right now (as of 2 pm EST), they are at the same population as they were last week at this time so we'd appreciate any feedback coming this afternoon from Trueflame in the EU!

As pointed out in this thread however, we will see what the coming week holds. In the meantime thank you for the support and we will continue our efforts to nail down performance!
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for continuing to work on performance.
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For clarification... population in Trueflame PC US last night was at nearly the same population as it was the Monday prior, give or take a dozen or so players. Currently looking at the EU servers right now (as of 2 pm EST), they are at the same population as they were last week at this time so we'd appreciate any feedback coming this afternoon from Trueflame in the EU!

As pointed out in this thread however, we will see what the coming week holds. In the meantime thank you for the support and we will continue our efforts to nail down performance!

So it looks like that the numbers are no important but the playstyle is. The most active campaign is locked at prime time, but if it is locked with pugs only and no organized groups who spam the skills and lag the server then we can have a nice performance. Any thoughts....
    Because I can!
  • forzajuve212
    forzajuve212
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks brian :)
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Playstyle vs. Population vs. What constitutes that population, is the crux of what we have been tackling with performance. The main focus is to keep the population steady/full and improve on the play experience without sacrificing or compromising the warzone game-play of Cyrodiil or combat in general. This includes well organized groups vs. non-organized groups and finding how to optimize/prioritize information going to the server and back to your PC/Mac/Xbox/PS4. It's not as easy as turning on this switch or turning off that one (as much as we'd like it to be), as every week we look at the data logs and combat situations by playing in Cyrodiil and Imperial City ourselves. We look at what hits the server the hardest and tackle them with either code or data solutions as fast as we can with proper testing, and appreciate your patience in the rolling out of these fixes.

Keep us posted about the performance in both the EU and the US, and on all platforms with each update, hot-fix, and incremental we do! It is greatly appreciated!
    Edited by ZOS_BrianWheeler on August 2, 2016 6:35PM
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Playstyle vs. Population vs. What constitutes that population, is the crux of what we have been tackling with performance. The main focus is to keep the population steady/full and improve on the play experience without sacrificing or compromising the warzone game-play of Cyrodiil or combat in general. This includes well organized groups vs. non-organized groups and finding how to optimize/prioritize information going to the server and back to your PC/Mac/Xbox/PS4. It's not as easy as turning on this switch or turning off that one (as much as we'd like it to be), as every week we look at the data logs and combat situations by playing in Cyrodiil and Imperial City ourselves. We look at what hits the server the hardest and tackle them with either code or data solutions as fast as we can with proper testing, and appreciate your patience in the rolling out of these fixes.

Keep us posted about the performance in both the EU and the US, and on all platforms with each update, hot-fix, and incremental we do! It is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the answer, Brian.

I have another question, do you considered dynamic population caps? We need something to be done because we have empty campaigns dominated by one alliance.
    Because I can!
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the town mechanic helped to spread people out a fair amount, reinforcing that the lag is created by people in one place, as opposed to overall population.

EP managed to bring a 30-35man militia-ball zerg to Bruma last night, but without the rest of EP I didn't really experience any lag at all.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not sure what everyone else's experience has been in PVP since the new dlc patch went live but for the first time in a long time, there was no game breaking lag. I was sitting at 100-150 ping during primetime TF with all factions locked, DC AD and EP zergs everywhere. I don't know if this post will be short lived (fingers crossed) but props ZOS for proving us wrong so far, you may have actually reduced the lag. Even fighting 20-40 people, there was no lag. I think the capturable towns change was really a game changer, many groups are spreading out along the map and fights aren't being condensed along emp keep lines. Whether people will do this long term remains to be seen, but at least we have some hope! Thanks for your continued work @ZOS_BrianWheeler !

I personally think that the major reason why the ping didn't spike above 500ms is because during the famous and well known primetime "AD faction event" at Brk, EP was not stacked there to defend it against the entire AD Population but were having fun at Bruma experiencing the new town capture feature. We ended up losing it but I can't blame EP for trying out the new towns the first day of the patch.

Spreading people out has always done wonders to this game and that was one simple proof.

Bashev wrote: »

So it looks like that the numbers are no important but the playstyle is. The most active campaign is locked at prime time, but if it is locked with pugs only and no organized groups who spam the skills and lag the server then we can have a nice performance. Any thoughts....

Let say that the campaign max population for one faction is 150players. EP have emperor and they are going to do their last stand at Chalman. The amount of chances to get 200+ players at Chalman and create a huge slide show with 1k ms is higher than if the population caps would be 120 per faction.

So yes, the playstyle (choosing as a guild to run groups of 16 instead of 24 to 3 raids stacked together) does makes a huge impact but reducing the population cap would also helps drastically.
    Edited by frozywozy on August 2, 2016 7:07PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    Dynamic Pop. Caps have been discussed but aren't on the table at this time as it would not be a simple thing to implement.
    Wheeler
    Staff Post
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Have y'all considered asking us to help you?

For instance, if you posted a set of test cases that you would like an organized group to run through, I'm sure someone would oblige.
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to see that we now have confirmation that these guilds are causing the lagg.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone is grinding new gear in PvE stuffs.....
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_BrianWheeler me and my friends has been playing TF EU all night and lagg seems to have improved not just a little, but alot. What did you do? :)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • forzajuve212
    forzajuve212
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

For instance, if you posted a set of test cases that you would like an organized group to run through, I'm sure someone would oblige.

This ^ @ZOS_BrianWheeler
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

This ^ @ZOS_BrianWheeler

I would love to do this also @ZOS_BrianWheeler But I'm not sure if it's possible on PS4 or Xbox One though.

Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played on triple lock Trueflame on EU server tonight. Had nearly no lag at all.

I hope it will stay like this, TESO PvP is such a pleasure when there's no lag.
  • rendolpheb16_ESO
    rendolpheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt experiment any lag yesterday on TF NA. If this persist through week-end. Don't patch anymore that game.
    For Templar PvP video check my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/RendolpheGamer
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give it time. Was like this last patch.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything that helps spread population out is a good idea, I'd love them to keep adding more capture spots across the map with unique rewards.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to say I've noticed much better performance since the patch and look forward to more of this .
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »
    Give it time. Was like this last patch.

Yeah this happens pretty much every patch, its good for a week or two then it all goes to hell again.
  • NovaShadow
    NovaShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prime US time and my ping was relatively normal. Hovering between 260-270 spiking around 330-340 when there was a fight near me. This was unusual.

The lag came at night however (Aussie prime time) when the regular DC guild was on. So it's still there, the lag hasn't gone anywhere.

The population caps may be the same but the regular guilds/ball groups that are ALWAYS there when it lags currently are not. Hence the less lag. Just wait for the regular peeps to return and you'll see no difference.

Enjoy this while it lasts.
    PC NA - EPHS