Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

A crafter gone mad

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside my guild i charge 5k per piece plus mats. To complainers i tell it is not for profit but to scare them away. It works!
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I knew I should have came here the other day to ask for advice. I was going to post something like "Crafting - when to tell your friends no". But I didn't want my friends to come here thinking I was talking about them.

Well today I was bad again. I snapped on someone for asking me to craft them some gear. I know they meant no harm but this has been bothering me for a few days now. My friends husband will log in and ask me to make him gear, he will log out and then his wife logs in and asks me to make her gear. It seems like every time I am playing the game someone wants me to craft them gear.

This is kind of what went on this morning:

[ I log in ]
    Friends husband: Hi
    me: hi
    him: can you help me train my new character
    me: no, i have to leave soon
    him: Did you get a chance to make me new gear
    me: Didn't u get some new gear yesterday
    him: oh that was my nb, I am talking about the cp160 for the sorc
    me: no I have not had time.
    me: my gear is like 10 levels behind, wish someone would make me some gear

him: lol

[ he logs off, and his wife logs in ]
    frend: hi emily
    me: hi, how are you doing?
    friend: fine, I have a question
    me: yes
    friend: can you make me gear for this character?
    me: OMG, will guys please stop
    me: do you know how much it costs to craft gear? How much time i have to put into it
    me: I don't even have enough gold to craft my own gear, because I have to spend it on your gear
    friend: Sorry, I won't ask you again
    me: It seems like every time I log in, everyone wants gear crafted for free
    me: I am so busy making everyone else happy and don't have time to make myself happy
    me: you know what, I have 10 characters will you please craft me gear for them

[ friend quits talking to me ]

I don't know about you guys but it takes me a long time for me to craft gear, my crafting is split up into 4 characters. Depending on what they need I have to log in/ log out several times, and then take each crafter to the location. I never ask for any gold or supplies when I craft, so I have to pay out of my own pocket for crafting supplies. And most the time I don't have the supplies, so I have to go supply shopping at all the guild stores. Not only that, I craft them everything I would wear when I craft my own gear. Armor, weapons, enchantments, food or drinks, and give them jewelry. It is expensive.

Now there are some friends that I don't mind crafting for, they give me things even when I tell them no. The say stuff like "Emily, you have helped me out so much I have to give you this". But these are the friends that don't ask me to craft them gear every few levels on all of their characters. Which I don't mind helping out.

Sorry for the Rant, it just helps me typing it out and makes me realize how wrong I am some times. I should have never been rude to my friend. I wouldn't be shocked if she de-friended me.

one have to learn to use his/her legitimate right to say "no" ;)
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    :) I did it! I finally said no to crafting.

One of my friends asked me if I am a crafter, and I said "Yes, but I am currently a retired crafter.". They said, "Does that mean you won't make me some gear". I said, "Sorry, I can't make you any gear. I'm retired." Then suggested they ask someone else.

That felt good. However, I did make the mistake of saying. "I made a website for our guild, maybe you can post on the forum you need a crafter". His next question was "Oh, you make websites? I need you". Ugh.. I am going to hide for the rest of my ESO life.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not craft for the public anymore, but when a friend or guild mate asked me to craft I demand they do two actions.

1)They will give me the needed mats to do the work.
    2) Their request is in easy to read format for EVERY item they want to be craft: Type, light, med or heavy, trait, style, level,etc

If they fail to do it, I will stop the craft until I get what I needed. If I have a question in what they want, I will stop my craft until my questions are answered. Also, I will tell them I do it in 24 hours once I get the mail with the mats. I will NOT DROP everything I am doing to run to craft an item for someone. If they want it yesterday, they can find someone else to craft for them.

If they are really low level or if they are short a few mats, I will use my personal mats to finish the job.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know exactly how you feel Emily, your example is the reason I had to start asking people to supply mats, etc if they wanted me to craft for them.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my guild, about once every couple months someone will catch me on a good day and I will really hook them up with good gear. They are usually people in my guild that never have and never would ask on their own. I do that because it's fun. I don't think it's fun being someone's little hireling so don't generally make sets outside of the above scenario. My guild knows I can make anything but that they better ask really nice and not for too much and not too often.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your friends want free gear then they should be supplying you with the materials for it. If they don't supply anything and or pay gold for the items then they aren't really "friends".... they are "freeloaders" and you aren't responsible for their items.

For reasons like that, I never make anyone(cept the wife) "free" gear. They can either supply the materials or buy them from me. You didn't start playing this game to have to take care of items with your own resources/gold for your friends. They need to buck up and toss you some coin/materials from now on.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • ELDARTHVADER
    ELDARTHVADER
    ✭✭
    first time free, I tell my buddies. after that i need all mats. and if you want improvements go get me mats!!!!

Now this is what i get, EMAILS with Mats and what they want made.

PS i only craft on Saturdays NOW and all friend know it.

This way you get mats in email and buddies don't ask me every time i log in.
    also sometimes i craft my stuff on random night and if they in my group at that time and want the smae set am building myself then you get free set.

but this has cut down on me having to tell buddies NO
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I only have one real friend within the game (sad isn't it) and he would not ask me to craft or make anything without insisting he supplies the materials up front. I currently consider anyone else on my 'friends' list as an acquaintance as I don't know them well enough to call them friends.

The only other people I have crafted for have approached me at the actual station and handed over materials up front. I don't care about getting paid and they have made the effort to go and wait for someone to come along so I don't mind as I am already there.

I only have one real friend in the game, and he takes hiatus from time to time. Usually, I just craft him the gear whenever he needs a little upgrade. We're relatively casual players (apparently my social anxiety crosses into the game world, so I never really mingle with strangers in chat anyway). My blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking are nearing the point where all traits are researched, just chipping away at a few traits that elude me on some (mostly nirn, of course).
    Anyone else that I HAVE made gear for, which is rare, I tend to get the mats from them even though I usually have a surplus of most things until CP 150+.

But I hear ya on the offering if someone's there and has the mats and just needs a hand thing. It's similar to my weekly handing out the werewolf bite to a stranger for free on a whim thing. I don't expect much. Sometimes a helping hand from a stranger goes a long way in making the whole game environment fun.
  • Evangelon
    Evangelon
    unless you want to craft the items as an experiment I would respond "no problem, I'll send you a list of what I'm short on to get it done" , then send them a list of the rare items that you need them to source for you - if they are friends, give the minor stuff for free.

if they argue, then they dont want the item. Friends do favours, they don't haggle when you ask them to help you make the favour easier to do for them. Customers haggle, if they bargain then they need to negotiate an overall payment for everything including your time :smile:
  • nk474
    nk474
    ✭✭
    Its nonsense folks don't send you the mats. In our guild rule of thumb is 24 hours notice, Green leveling gear free. The cp 150 and up stuff their mats. I have folks send a mail with what they want, style, ect.
  • jeo329
    jeo329
    ✭✭
    CP 160 julianos in light when ur ready Trinimac style all divines no shoulder or helmet please
    Edited by jeo329 on August 3, 2016 2:26PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make something really ugly, like argonian for them.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are they friends though if they only contact you when they want something? and stop talking to you if you cant help!

i will occasionally use my low level supplies to help out a m8, if i have spare, otherwise no mats no gear!

• undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    I will only craft gear for someone if:
    1. They have the mats. I might give a pass on some things like common racial style stones since I have so many, but for the most part I will only use my own mats for me.
    2. You must send me a mail with detailed instructions on what you want. I will not craft from instructions in chat that I will have to ask for over and over if the UI reloads or I relog or the game crashes, etc.
    3. If I have to go into Imperial City to craft whatever it is you want then you have to go with me ;)
    4. You must ask politely and then not be an a** asking me if I'm done every five minutes. Expect up to a 24-hour window on getting your crafted gear, I am not on the clock here.
    5. I do not expect a tip (although it is always appreciated). I do expect a thank you, I also accept vigorously espoused praise in guild chat of any guilds we share :)

If you cannot meet the above requirements then NO GEAR FOR YOU.

Hey not doubting you or anything just a curiosity question because I don't know, but does crafting that high level gear take a long time like that? It's not like normal crafting that creates the item immediately?
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. They have the mats. I might give a pass on some things like common racial style stones since I have so many, but for the most part I will only use my own mats for me.
    2. You must send me a mail with detailed instructions on what you want. I will not craft from instructions in chat that I will have to ask for over and over if the UI reloads or I relog or the game crashes, etc.
    3. If I have to go into Imperial City to craft whatever it is you want then you have to go with me ;)
    4. You must ask politely and then not be an a** asking me if I'm done every five minutes. Expect up to a 24-hour window on getting your crafted gear, I am not on the clock here.
    5. I do not expect a tip (although it is always appreciated). I do expect a thank you, I also accept vigorously espoused praise in guild chat of any guilds we share :)

Hey not doubting you or anything just a curiosity question because I don't know, but does crafting that high level gear take a long time like that? It's not like normal crafting that creates the item immediately?

Yes, it does. Because the mats are VERY pricey and one mistake can destroy thousands of gold in a few secs. If one is doing a full craft set (10+ items). One can get very confused if the order is not well written. I follow the guidelines as the person I quoted.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The amount of time it takes to craft gear can vary wildly. If you send me a couple nirncrux and ask me to make a couple nirnhoned pieces for you to research, that's easy because I can hit up the closest crafting station, crank out a couple items, not caring about style or material, and send them back in a couple minutes.

If you ask for a five-piece Armor Master set, a couple Seducer pieces and some Night Mother's weapons, all enchanted with specific enchants, all at cp160, yeah, that can take a long time. For Armor Master alone you have to find a friendly Cyrodiil campaign, wait through any queue, ride to the sewers, get up into the city and to the crafting station, all without getting ganked or zerged. Then I've got to traipse all over Tamriel to make the other set pieces, switch characters to enchant them all, etc. That can easily take hours, especially considering (as @k9mouse said), these things are worth a small fortune and if I screw anything up it comes out of my pocket, so I take my time and double-check everything.

Finally, there's that whole real-life thing, with spouses and kids and pets and jobs and domestic stuff. If you message me requesting gear and shortly after my son sets the bathroom on fire, well you're going to be waiting a bit.
    Edited by wayfarerx on August 5, 2016 2:16AM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't feel bad or sorry. Based on what you said you're "friends" sound a bit demanding, they should give you mats and traits etc. Edit: they should also give you thanks and please.

I myself am a master crafter on xbox EU (not to many on here). 9 traits everything, all enchanting etc. But I've never advertised my services. I do occasionally craft for a friend but that's it.

Unfortunately people can be rude and annoying when they know you're a master crafter. As others have said, they don't ask nicely, expect it instantly, don't give mats etc.

I like the idea of being a master crafter but a lot of people expect everything without giving back, not even a thank you. No thanks, for me they can wait months to a year and craft their own stuff.
    Edited by Wrecking_Blow_Spam on August 5, 2016 4:25AM
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • treborrealb14_ESO
    treborrealb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    True friends dont leave an other hanging and in regards to in game well you can just be honest on it, "hey I can make it but Im logging off in XXX so next time on?" Or Im trying to finsish xyz send me mail with what you want Ill make when can etc.

Your in a guild and its gonna hapen more times then not but if you want you Guildies to be 1 big happy family thats what you do to make everyone a bit better. In fact it will also reciprocate with them being much more willing to help you on things as well.

Honesty is key starts with being honest with yourself on it
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your "friends" were demanding freeloaders. I don't even craft for people anymore except for a few people on my friends list who I regularly play with. Too many idiots who have no clue what they want, think you're going to use your own mats, or whisper you when you're clearly in the middle of something like vICP/vWGT, trials, etc.

One time, someone from a guild I was in asked me to make them something, and we get all the way to the crafting station when I go, "mats?" and she actually had the nerve to get pissed because I didn't have VR1 mats as a VR14 (this was before V15/16 and before craft bags).
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this happend....

for the first time i decided to ask for somebody to craft me some med gear , so i went to deshan and asked if somebody can make me med armour will provide all mats and pay 2k per piece

I wish i could name and shame this #%&^% person but yhea... so anyway he followed me crafting station and we chatted for a bit i gave him 140 matts 2k gold xyvkin and divine to make me first piece .. he went to the crafting station then moved away from it disband the grope and left.. and i was like wtf just happen ?

its a shame this has happen i did went back to deshan and chatted on area chat to let everybody know of the scammer.

2 days later in deshan some poor guy was saying how he got scammed for 100K as well by a diferent guy he was asking for a light staff to be made and the guy took all the mats and gold writs and took off... i felt bad for him as i was scammed as well so i went and made him one free of charge .

Its really a shame this things are happening and i wish we could do more then just report them on xbox...

"By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i learned to craft so i can make myself armour/weapons/food/potions/glyphs not so i could spend ALL of my time hanging around a craft station while someone i happen to be in a guild with decides if they want ancient elf this, or trinimac that, and i certanly didnt learn all the traits so i can spend all of my time/money gathering resources for people who expect the best end game sets to be handed to them because they 'need' it for the latest meta!
    anyone has a go at me or critisises me for refusing to supply all mats, leave a trial/dungeon/PvP/vMA will never get anything crafted by me!
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So this happend....

for the first time i decided to ask for somebody to craft me some med gear , so i went to deshan and asked if somebody can make me med armour will provide all mats and pay 2k per piece

I wish i could name and shame this #%&^% person but yhea... so anyway he followed me crafting station and we chatted for a bit i gave him 140 matts 2k gold xyvkin and divine to make me first piece .. he went to the crafting station then moved away from it disband the grope and left.. and i was like wtf just happen ?

its a shame this has happen i did went back to deshan and chatted on area chat to let everybody know of the scammer.

2 days later in deshan some poor guy was saying how he got scammed for 100K as well by a diferent guy he was asking for a light staff to be made and the guy took all the mats and gold writs and took off... i felt bad for him as i was scammed as well so i went and made him one free of charge .

Its really a shame this things are happening and i wish we could do more then just report them on xbox...

This is why I think we should have character profile pages in game. So people could leave comments like "Awesome crafter", or "This person scammed me".

As it is right now, you can only hope the person does not scam you.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    So this happend....

This is why I think we should have character profile pages in game. So people could leave comments like "Awesome crafter", or "This person scammed me".

As it is right now, you can only hope the person does not scam you.

That's actually a fun idea!

If I were a webpage person...
    A system like this would work fairly well even outside the game as its own standalone. Add the profile name, platform, and server, and rate crafters (and customers, for that matter).
    Sort of like eBay for ESO crafting. :D
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Haulinash
    Haulinash
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure most of us crafters get the chats where it starts out to be a simple: "sure, i've got time... what do you need?"
    Minutes later, "4pc this set, 5 pc this set..."
    "can you do those?"
    30 seconds later. "you there?"
    Me: "i can do those. what trait/style?"
    5 minutes later: bow xivkyn, dagger, sword khajiit. glass... and so on.
    seconds pass: "you there?"
    by this time, i'm considering suicide.

I love making gear for folks, but sometimes that "Ignore Player" is mighty tempting.
    Thank the stars! I wasn't sure I'd find anyone else out here. Please, I ne- STAB! STAB! STABSTABSTABSTABSTAB!
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    I probably shouldn't, but I have to laugh at some of the posts here. I have had some gear made for me twice now, but only in-guild so being scammed is not a worry. I had the mats, trait/style materials, and gave my request both by whisper and in the mail with the mats. I also kept it simple by just wanting the racial motif of the character it was being made for...

As far as gratitude goes, neither person would take money for their time. I like that attitude in a guild. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they have done. One person was low on a certain tier of low level mats for crafting leveling gear, so I sent a bunch. The other wouldn't tell me anything they needed at all, so I sent some tri-stat potions and food. It really isn't too hard to show people you are thankful for what they have done.

I am really starting to respect the trait learning grind. I think I finally have 6 minimum traits in everything and closing in on 8 for all in woodworking. I still have so very much time to go.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Haulinash wrote: »
    I'm sure most of us crafters get the chats where it starts out to be a simple: "sure, i've got time... what do you need?"
    Minutes later, "4pc this set, 5 pc this set..."
    "can you do those?"
    30 seconds later. "you there?"
    Me: "i can do those. what trait/style?"
    5 minutes later: bow xivkyn, dagger, sword khajiit. glass... and so on.
    seconds pass: "you there?"
    by this time, i'm considering suicide.

I love making gear for folks, but sometimes that "Ignore Player" is mighty tempting.

I've gotten this type of thing too. I just repeat, "At least they didn't say "Just make it look COOL." Whose cool? My cool, your cool, random person in zone's cool? I'm always tempted to make khajiit. If we could only dye it without binding it to us every one of the "just make it look cool" people would get khajiit the most pepto bismol pink I have access to..... Hello Kitty armor. Looks cool to me....

What I really don't appreciate though is when someone really goes overboard with exaggerated thanks and praise. I'm actually considering leaving a guild because of the way some of the people act when I make their stuff. Yes, I put in the time and effort to get a 9 trait crafter made. Yes, thanks to that I can make any set in the game so far with any wacked out combination of traits you want. That is the reason the guildmaster made me armorer. You said thank you. I told you to go put any gold or mats you wanted to give me in the guild bank. Now just shut up, enjoy your gear, and let me go play, okay? I'm trying to collect enough mats to make all my characters their gear. It is showing my age, but the old saying is true; the shoemakers kids have no shoes. I noticed the other day one of my characters that I don't play often was in level 40 blue gear. Which is okay, but she's in a cp160 leveled zone with 317 cp points..... Yeah, I need to make new stuff....

• xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Just chiming in that I feel this crafting pain. Anything over CP150 I do ask for mats and if a random hits me up at a table, I say I'll do it for a tip and leave that number up to them to decide.

The most painful time was during Jubilee Cake Week...my guild was leveling characters so quickly that I spent almost all of my game time crafting gear for them instead of grinding CPs for my main. Should have put my foot down, but I didn't. That said, I really enjoy crafting for others...it does get overwhelming though.
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they bring mats, just the mats, no tempers, I usually do it for free and make the gear to blue. Why? Because they they are nice about it or ask and a conversation goes on, I know they are not trying to get anything for free or not pay.

Is this situation, I would do the same. Its nice to help people in this game, its nice to hook your friends up and help them, hell my dad bought me a full PVP set with Telvar. Now he had like 100k of it, but I hooked him up with a full PvE set and food.

Sorry you had a bad experience, even more so with friends can suck. I think they is a difference in asking for something to help you make gear or even willing to pay full price for something. But we all know if we dont know the person, we ask. Are they going to pay? Or are they going to log off after I make it all and stuff me with all those mats? Trolls are trolls and I have dealt with them all. But hey, I love to craft and see "Crafted by ZweiHandler" under someones gear. :D
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vamp_emily

Yhea that would be great idea actually !
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."