The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are you a subscriber?

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, this game isn't F2P and most F2P games are actually P2W.

Second, and most important is that the vast offerings of F2P outweighs the number of games one can be a subscriber. That is where most of that differnce is.

Most important and specifically relevant to ESO. Buying DLCs onky is cheaper than subscription. Especially using the 2 month subs that is probably the most popular choice. Anyone that buys DLC and is spending more buy purchasing other items, well, I think that speaks for itself.

I think that for the purposes of this data, ESO is a free to play game. Yes, you have to buy the game, but that is just a modification of the free to play model. Subsequent to that purchase, the game is free to play.

While a lot of free games are pay to win, it is not a requirement. I like that ZOS has, so far, not danced gleefully across that line and set up camp, as so many other games do. I hope that this turns out to be a cultural thing at ZeniMax Media, as you don't have to pay to win in Fallout Shelter, either.

I subscribe to ESO Plus on PC. I subscribe because it isn't that much of an expense and I play more than enough to justify the expense per hour. I am actively leveling characters so the 10% boost is useful to me. I don't buy the DLCs and only pick up interesting pets, mounts, and costumes in the Crown Store. I don't grab everything they toss in there. I buy no consumable items, like XP, food, motifs, bag space, werewolf, vampire, etc. The "limited time offers" are generally not worth it, but I do have a couple of them.

I do not subscribe to ESO on PS4. The reason is that they did not offer a 6 month subscription term, and that is my preferred subscription term, when annual is not available. Am I going to subscribe on PS4, now that they offer this for us North American players? Undecided, but I am not expecting to until after I find out more about One Tamriel.
    Edited by Elsonso on July 26, 2016 4:07PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    and I don't want to be one.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭
    Subbing promotes the Skinner box RNG system they use.
    PS4 NA
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you guys for a lot of your insight! I have no real personal opinion about it to be honest, however it is nice to see that many people are subscribed (well from what we know, so keep the votes coming) as this kind of fades the argument of those that say "Eso has no money to improve the lag".
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    been a paying member since day one, and I'm now eso plus.
    I like the benefits it gives, but most of all it's a way to support the game.
    Looking at were we stand now access to all dlc's is nice, and the crafting bag's.... who does not need them
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First, this game isn't F2P and most F2P games are actually P2W.

Second, and most important is that the vast offerings of F2P outweighs the number of games one can be a subscriber. That is where most of that differnce is.

Most important and specifically relevant to ESO. Buying DLCs onky is cheaper than subscription. Especially using the 2 month subs that is probably the most popular choice. Anyone that buys DLC and is spending more buy purchasing other items, well, I think that speaks for itself.

I think that for the purposes of this data, ESO is a free to play game. Yes, you have to buy the game, but that is just a modification of the free to play model. Subsequent to that purchase, the game is free to play.
    snip....

no offence intended with the snip just wanted to respond to the first bit....

you got it the wrong way round - historically f2p is a modification of b2p - in that b2p came first.

anyone else remember back in the day on aol when you paid by the hour?
  • Snippit_Thomas
    Snippit_Thomas
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - Crafting Bag....
  • thisisScoMan
    thisisScoMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Subscribed day one on PC. Played for awhile but was terrible on PC. Stopped playing. Cancelled sub.

Subscribed day one on Xbox.

I usually buy a season pass for games I enjoy so I know the DLC is paid for when it's rolled out and I don't have to find the $$$ at that time.

Subbing in ESO is the closest thing.

The monthly crowns and crafting bag are a nice little bonus.

(I know paying 2.5k crowns every three months is easier to find than $15 a month but whatever, it doesn't FEEL like I'm paying anything when it's direct debited each month, where looking at DLC and then having to decide if I want to pay $25 for it FEELS like I'm spending money)
    Xbox One. NA Server
    Australian.
    600+ CP
    DC - 3 x Level 50
    AD - 2 x Level 50
    EP - 3 x Level 50
  • Funkopotamus
    Funkopotamus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes and I have taken 4 months break from the game and never canceled my ESO+...

I do not know why...

I just continue to hope ESO becomes the game I want it to be. Therefore I support them.

I might come on these forums and rant, but it is because I CARE... When we go silent is when ZOS needs to worry!
    Edited by Funkopotamus on July 27, 2016 12:49AM
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" Sallington
  • EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sub from the start of eso and will only unsub when I decide to stop playing for good.
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and others have already stated reasons why.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Caza99
    Caza99
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, ZoS made us pay for a subscription previously and I don't buy anything from crown store really, only got 2 costume packs, a pet and 2 DLCs.
    PC NA - @MercerESO
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refuse to play a game that not only requires a full price purchase to own a copy, but also a monthly payment to play.

I'm playing because thankfully they made the subscription optional.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting bag.....simple
    CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    God knows why I do. But I am.

They're quick to take my money and slow to fix serious gameplay issues (cough Malubeth).
  • Leon119
    Leon119
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crafting bags op
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah. 6 months at a time. I really like this game so I do my part.

And also the crafting bag and recently the dye system, its totally worth it. And you know housing will be tied to it too. Even if you can buy a small house without a sub, those bigger ones most likely will be for subs. That's how a lot of mmos do it.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • Drakoleon
    Drakoleon
    ✭✭✭✭
    "I pay to support to game" .....even when is broken? Even when numerous bugs, unbalanced classes/races/skills, LAG, RNG, stays the same for over a year or even getting worst every other patch?
    Well i dont think that this is wise thinking.
    "Bag" its great but i played the game for 2 years without it too

Dont forget that this is not a free game! We all paid for it and most of us kept paying for over 2 years.

Paying for ESO+ or not for me its the only way to show my appreciation and support or "protest ! Now its time to protest. I' ll resub again when some of the major issues will be fixed
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pay to support the game.

I pay because the game is currently worth the money to me, and I get value out of ESO Plus.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I refuse to play a game that not only requires a full price purchase to own a copy, but also a monthly payment to play.

This game requires servers, maintenance and ongoing development. The original price doesn't cover these. So basically you're a freeloader... Which is one of the issues I have against F2P/B2P models.
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the amount of subscribers, as we can see, its always leading to the same, which is subs way over 70% more than non subs. This does NOT explain or excuse the prices they put in the crown store.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »

This game requires servers, maintenance and ongoing development. The original price doesn't cover these. So basically you're a freeloader... Which is one of the issues I have against F2P/B2P models.

free·load·er
    ˈfrēˌlōdər/Submit
    nouninformal
    a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

he bought the game
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't realise so many people were subscribed

Then again I would imagine people actively using the forums would be more 'hardcore' players and therefore more likely to chose to subscribe?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong

I'm sorry guys

I tried :(
  • raaphor
    raaphor
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I'm aware of the bugs and other problems with ESO but as long as I still enjoy the game I'll probably keep subscribing. I'm on the 180 day plan without automatically renewing btw.
    EU/PC - 9 max level characters (DC)
    NA/PC - 2 characters (AD)
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiVox22 wrote: »
    Didn't realise so many people were subscribed

Then again I would imagine people actively using the forums would be more 'hardcore' players and therefore more likely to chose to subscribe?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong

I'm sorry guys

I tried :(

Not really, I have friends on my PS4 that never used the forum and are subscribed since day 1. It really doesnt excuse the crown store prices... :(
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of twisted logic got you to this conclusion?

ESO is as "free to play" as literally any other game you with buy with money is "free to play" after paying for it. The Witcher, Mass Effect, Pokemon, Putt Putt Saves the Zoo all cost money to buy so they're not free.

Free to Play = Playing without having to pay any money, ever.
    Edited by Transairion on July 27, 2016 8:16AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting bag is awesome
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

free·load·er
    ˈfrēˌlōdər/Submit
    nouninformal
    a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

he bought the game

I'd like to see how long the game would run if the only revenue had been original sales. Not very long, that's for sure. The game is only still going because people subscribe and (unfortunately) spend money in the crown store. Those people are paying for @ArchMikem to play. So yes, freeloader.
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭

free·load·er
    ˈfrēˌlōdər/Submit
    nouninformal

he bought the game

I'd like to see how long the game would run if the only revenue had been original sales. Not very long, that's for sure. The game is only still going because people subscribe and (unfortunately) spend money in the crown store. Those people are paying for @ArchMikem to play. So yes, freeloader.

Not true. Many games out there have no subscription or the initial payment for the game and they are still running... Heck even APP games make a ton of money that they can afford to make publicity on tv, only with the in game sales and are still running. Dont worry Zos is making money xD... I head somewhere on the forum (dont know for sure though) that a dev said in a video they want to appeal to the players that come here for like 3 weeks, spend the money there and done. Why would he want that if it wouldnt make enough money? Why would he want that if he cared for the rest of the people that pay a sub?... Anyone with a link please send it.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

free·load·er
    ˈfrēˌlōdər/Submit
    nouninformal

he bought the game

Not true. Many games out there have no subscription or the initial payment for the game and they are still running... Heck even APP games make a ton of money that they can afford to make publicity on tv, only with the in game sales and are still running. Dont worry Zos is making money xD... I head somewhere on the forum (dont know for sure though) that a dev said in a video they want to appeal to the players that come here for like 3 weeks, spend the money there and done. Why would he want that if it wouldnt make enough money? Why would he want that if he cared for the rest of the people that pay a sub?... Anyone with a link please send it.

No game runs for free. You either pay for it, or you subscribe, or you get ads.

ESO doesn't have ads. The only revenue streams are initial purchase, subscription and crown store. They have to pay for ongoing maintenance and development of new content. If you're not subscribing or buying crowns - and I've said enough times I have serious issues with in-game purchases, not going into it again - then you're using for free a service that others have to pay to keep going, or in other words, freeloading.