The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Are you a subscriber?

• sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sub since day one.

Love this game, the world and the devs.

Crafting bags just the icing on the cake. Delicious, buttercream-infused icing.

• Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - because I realized I pay ZOS more money by buying crowns xD plus the crafting bag is probably the best thing they implemented in game since...well ever.
    This is the very reason I am not subbing. Any money given to them for that says it is ok to lock major convenience or major features behind the sub wall even though they are advertised as Buy 2 Play.

Even if it wasn't locked there, I assume most people who subscribe do so because the game runs buttery smooth. For me it does most of the time, however there are some horror stories.
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I subscribe because it doesn't hurt my budget and because I did when it was mandatory. I still pay the same but get a few goodies for it, so yay.

Besides, I don't have problems running the game. When I have, it is either my internet or Master Merchant's logs needing to be cleared.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First account - yes, I've been subscribed since PC launch and have never seen a reason to change that.

Second account - no, I actually enjoy not having the crafting bag on that account as leveling through the game it adds an extra dimension to have to upgrade my bank and inventory slots, and sell up when my inventory is full. With the crafting bag it means there's no reason to return to town, and nothing to spend my gold on. It's advantage is really at high level especially for serious crafters.
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I believe when you play a game for free you should subscribe or fund it in some way. The way I see it you're getting all that content for free and the very least you could do is pay for some of that content. Then add on the fact you get subscriber bonuses such as all the DLC for free, a XP boost, crowns, and so on it's a pretty good deal (though I'd still like a store discount).

However if I do stop playing my subscription also ends, if I ever come back to the game I'll re-subscribe.
    Edited by Madness1 on July 26, 2016 12:35PM
    What is the color of night?
    What is the color of the fox?
    Hail Sithis.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much what others have said,

If I am not playing I wont sub.

When I am playing I will sub, with all its benefits and all DLC open.

Buying a DLC here and there just makes no sense, to me anyways.

• Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently subbed for the craft bags.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, though sometimes I wonder...
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mindset of "push it out now, worry about fixing later" is exactly why ESO would've died out if it didn't have the Elder Scrolls label, and it makes me sad to say it. :disappointed:

Thieves Guild made ESO on console perform badly. It became slower and no longer had the smoothness and responsiveness it used to. Wanna know know what ZOS did to deal with this?

Well, it's pretty simple.

They did nothing. They let it carry on so they could start working on pushing out the newest content update for $$$.

I can go on and on talking about the severe issues released to console ESO when Dark Brotherhood launched. It's absolutely horrible. Worth noting that Thieves Guild started the issues though and Dark Brotherhood just compounded everything.

My sub will never renew if they don't fix the most basic and gamebreaking of severe issues.

Edited by Vaoh on July 26, 2016 1:18PM
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was about to unsub, because of the slow reaction to the cheating, and I still see to many cheaters in game but more and more of them seem to be getting caught, and at least suspended, not the out come I would like I still think ZOS is to soft on cheaters but I do see them cracking down more.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenzuki wrote: »
    Subbed since day one, and have no intention of un-subbing anytime soon.

I get way too much entertainment value from such a small amount of money per month.

I like having everything unlocked, the crafting bag is AWESOME, I wish to support the game I love playing, and I get plenty of crowns to drop on any incidentals that strike my fancy. (Although I have, at times, purchased crowns packs to pick up some of the shinier bits here and there!)

Can't really go wrong with a sub... So much fun for just .50 a day! :sunglasses:

Yup. Only $0.50 a day....

Oh, you've been subbed since Day One? That's nice. ~844 days then of subbing.

Not counting the fact that this game will continue and you will stay subbed. Also not counting the fact that you occasionally buy crown packs as well.

So basically you've spent ~$422 just on your subscription. This is without the game purchase or the tons of crown packs you've purchased.

That's great and all, but I am starting to see why they have little incentive to fix massive issues. We have people that'll throw money at them no matter what. Great that you've enjoyed your Sub and crown purchases since Day One, but I myself cannot justify feeding them that type of money especially when console performance drastically decreases each patch without sight of it getting resurrected (or the unthinkable, improved overtime like any other game)
    (-_-).
    Edited by Vaoh on July 26, 2016 1:36PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalifas wrote: »
    Yes - because I realized I pay ZOS more money by buying crowns xD plus the crafting bag is probably the best thing they implemented in game since...well ever.
    This is the very reason I am not subbing. Any money given to them for that says it is ok to lock major convenience or major features behind the sub wall even though they are advertised as Buy 2 Play.

Even if it wasn't locked there, I assume most people who subscribe do so because the game runs buttery smooth. For me it does most of the time, however there are some horror stories.

No offense but it is ok to make items like the crafting bag subscriber perks. It's a business decision. This is especially so since a subscriber brings in more $$$ on average. This is a business. Additionally, players can buy this game and never spend another dime.
  • XHandsomexJackX
    Yes-- I love the game and subscribed last year in April. Even though at times I didn't play for a couple of months I still love and support the series and I believe I'm doing my part in contributing. Besides its not like its a lot for one month also I like logging in and having my 1500 crowns and 10% xp boost and occasionally I'll buy xp scrolls to boost it 50% more. Its great.
    "You may quote me."
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm subbed for the DLC access, crafting bags, and soon to be costume dyeing. I want to support the team and hopefully fund them for future content and fixing of issues. I really do love the game and want it to succeed. Hopefully there's less crown store cash-grabs and more QOL content.
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm subbed for the DLC access, crafting bags, and soon to be costume dyeing. I want to support the team and hopefully fund them for future content and fixing of issues. I really do love the game and want it to succeed. Hopefully there's less crown store cash-grabs and more QOL content.

Same thing I hope for, however as we can see the majority of people are subscribers (of course it doesnt mean all of them, we need more people to confirm that but in most polls about this situation, the subs outnumbered the non subs) and the crown store cash grab still continues...
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • Jazbay_Grape
    Jazbay_Grape
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, but only because there have been so many problems on Xbox with the subs. When that gets worked out, then I will sub just to support the game. I buy a lot of crowns though to support the game.
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, since crafting bag came out... Untill then I was planning to buy each DLC.
    Apart from being a part of ESO + crafting bag should have been a perk one could unlock in the crowns store for 5k crowns...

By adding things like crafting bag, costume dyeing and I'm sure that soon even more, they are making it very uncomfortable for people that want simply to buy DLC's... I don't get why those features can't also be unlockable in the store...

Because...at the beginning the game was subscription based, then they removed the sub to play, only later on realizing they did a huge mistake. Now they cant just go back to making the game subscription based or people will be confused as hell and feel the instability of the company so they want to ACT as if the game requires no subscription to play, which is true...its true, however, they will gradually make it in the way that you will need a subscription in the end to even do the most basic things, BUT have the status of saying "Well you dont need to subscribe to play", you dont, but you will not get most of the things that in the end make a lot of difference.

Its not a bad thing in the end, as subscribing is a lot cheaper than using the crown store, so players also benefit from it, but it is a bad thing showing that in the end Zos doesnt really know what they are doing, we`ve had proof of this multiple times.

To be fair, the game probably would do a lot better if it would have stayed subscription only. So...bad decision ZOS, maybe come clean about it instead of making the products in the crown store more and more expensive and things such as "dye packs" or however they are called so limited. Come clean, say you want the game to be subscription based again and we will all benefit from it. Its an mmo. Most of them out there are sub based.

Game was definitely a lot better when it was subscription based. Bugs and the like actually got fixed in a timely manner, the community was a lot nicer as a whole, content was better, etc.

WTB pre-Tamriel Unlimited ESO.
  • BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello to you the lovely Estelio Veleth :smiley:
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

No offense but it is ok to make items like the crafting bag subscriber perks. It's a business decision. This is especially so since a subscriber brings in more $$$ on average. This is a business. Additionally, players can buy this game and never spend another dime.
    None taken but while a subscriber might bring in more guaranteed income, the free to play market makes hand over fist more money for the industry than subscriber only.

http://www.alistdaily.com/digital/superdata-mmo-moba-game-market-to-reach-20-billion/

And article makes a bunch of statements about the free to play market.
    Trusted Site or
    Untrusted Shite?

Some quotes from article incase you don't like clickies.
    • The MMO/MOBA gaming market is massive right now, thanks to the immense popularity of games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends, which continuously bring in millions of players daily. According to SuperData, revenues are actually a lot bigger than some people might think.
    • SuperData also reports that free-to-play games are heavily popular in this market, with six of the top-ten grossing games utilizing this format. All together, they make up 86 percent of total revenue for MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) games.

MMO.png
    • “Generally, more than a third of MMO gamers play a title for more than one-and-a-half years before quitting, so maximizing revenue from experienced players is critical,” says Joost van Dreunen, CEO for SuperData. “Keeping the player engaged with new content, daily challenges and the ability to manipulate the in-game environment will decrease their likelihood to abandon the game for another title.”
    • While returning players have a big part in the market, so do new players, as 84 percent of those playing within thee first month are likely to make some form of purchase, including boosts and in-game currency. Expansion packs also do fairly well, but mainly with those that check out what the game’s content has to offer first.
    • There are those that leave the market, and they tend to do so as groups, with 34 percent noting they leave a title behind mainly because “friends stop playing.” Approximately 81 percent enjoy playing with others they know, and 58 percent follow their friends and family over to a new title they’re introduced to.
    • As for MMO games in general, their future appears to rest in the free-to-play sector. “By the end of the year, free-to-play gamers will make up 93 percent of all MMO players,” said van Dreunen. “We have seen many subscription-based MMOs shifting to the free-to-play model, especially those that already had in-game purchasing opportunities.”

MMO-2.png

I think it is pretty accurate, not sure on the money claims though. Dailies don't keep me invested, I look for deep, innovative, and long lasting systems without going extreme on the grind. And I don't follow anyone around I play until a game is no longer entertaining to me or not meeting my expectation of a certain type of game.

93 % of all mmo players? I knew it was booming but that has to be wrong or that is insane.

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only for the crafting bag. I'd pay 10k crowns for a crafting bag minus the sub. I hate feeling like I'm wasting money if I don't play this game because of the sub. I guess that's why they locked the craft bag behind the sub to force people to pay for it. Crafting bag makes inventory management 100000 times easier.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Lumi
    Lumi
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a subscriber since launch. :) I like eso so I want to support it and the best way I know is to sub.
  • Dark_Dread
    Dark_Dread
    ✭✭
    No. Not any more. With ZOS's refusal to fix lag spikes (even in empty areas), lack of rewarding loot and this latest debackle with the breton hero costume (still to yet be acknowledged) they have shown me that they do not take players concerns seriously enough to be supported.

I am not a crafting addict so the craft bag will not be missed and the DLC's are over too fast (not to mention no variety) to keep paying for it.
    "Any man can overcome adversity. To truly test a man, give him power."(Thornwolf, Rowan Redwolf~AD)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

None taken but while a subscriber might bring in more guaranteed income, the free to play market makes hand over fist more money for the industry than subscriber only.

http://www.alistdaily.com/digital/superdata-mmo-moba-game-market-to-reach-20-billion/

Trusted Site or
    Untrusted Shite?

• The MMO/MOBA gaming market is massive right now, thanks to the immense popularity of games like DOTA 2 and League of Legends, which continuously bring in millions of players daily. According to SuperData, revenues are actually a lot bigger than some people might think.
    • SuperData also reports that free-to-play games are heavily popular in this market, with six of the top-ten grossing games utilizing this format. All together, they make up 86 percent of total revenue for MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) games.

MMO.png
    • “Generally, more than a third of MMO gamers play a title for more than one-and-a-half years before quitting, so maximizing revenue from experienced players is critical,” says Joost van Dreunen, CEO for SuperData. “Keeping the player engaged with new content, daily challenges and the ability to manipulate the in-game environment will decrease their likelihood to abandon the game for another title.”
    • While returning players have a big part in the market, so do new players, as 84 percent of those playing within thee first month are likely to make some form of purchase, including boosts and in-game currency. Expansion packs also do fairly well, but mainly with those that check out what the game’s content has to offer first.
    • There are those that leave the market, and they tend to do so as groups, with 34 percent noting they leave a title behind mainly because “friends stop playing.” Approximately 81 percent enjoy playing with others they know, and 58 percent follow their friends and family over to a new title they’re introduced to.
    • As for MMO games in general, their future appears to rest in the free-to-play sector. “By the end of the year, free-to-play gamers will make up 93 percent of all MMO players,” said van Dreunen. “We have seen many subscription-based MMOs shifting to the free-to-play model, especially those that already had in-game purchasing opportunities.”

MMO-2.png

I think it is pretty accurate, not sure on the money claims though. Dailies don't keep me invested, I look for deep, innovative, and long lasting systems without going extreme on the grind. And I don't follow anyone around I play until a game is no longer entertaining to me or not meeting my expectation of a certain type of game.

93 % of all mmo players? I knew it was booming but that has to be wrong or that is insane.

Your point is mute to this conversation, but nice graphs though.

First, this game isn't F2P and most F2P games are actually P2W.

Second, and most important is that the vast offerings of F2P outweighs the number of games one can be a subscriber. That is where most of that differnce is.

Most important and specifically relevant to ESO. Buying DLCs onky is cheaper than subscription. Especially using the 2 month subs that is probably the most popular choice. Anyone that buys DLC and is spending more buy purchasing other items, well, I think that speaks for itself.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've subbed since launch mostly because subscribing is the easiest option. I get all the DLCs, some crowns and the extra perks and ESO is just a line item on my entertainment budget.

I like knowing that I'm not "spending more than I thought" and that I can buy crown store stuff without feeling like I'm spending "extra" money.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

Trusted Site or
    Untrusted Shite?

MMO.png

MMO-2.png

Your point is mute to this conversation, but nice graphs though.

First, this game isn't F2P and most F2P games are actually P2W.

Second, and most important is that the vast offerings of F2P outweighs the number of games one can be a subscriber. That is where most of that differnce is.

Most important and specifically relevant to ESO. Buying DLCs onky is cheaper than subscription. Especially using the 2 month subs that is probably the most popular choice. Anyone that buys DLC and is spending more buy purchasing other items, well, I think that speaks for itself.
    Which pretty much says that people don't really care how much they spend overall, but most people do not like subscription only games. The falling out of the P2P is because people don't mind paying X whatever as long as they get to choose what they are paying for and it is a low upfront cost for entry.

It's not about how much is paid, it's about being able to pay for exactly what you want and nothing else. The same reason subscriptions are getting reamed is the same as cord cutters in cable. No one wants to pay a monthly fee to access specific features they want that are grouped with 100 other features they don't want.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the sub model, and decided that I would use it even if ZoS didn't. Cheap enough (USA) that subbing means giving up a movie a month, which I have done.

I'm really glad that while they have "sub only" benefits, none of them are pay to win.

I'm "here" (in Tamriel) because I fell in love w Morrowind (my husband used it as the world setting in his GMing) and we've each played some ES (I never really got into any others he really loved Skyrim) and now we can play in the world together. The rest is just (lovely) details.

Right now we "only" have three sets of characters that haver ring-of-mara'ed.

But I've got my eye on yet another of his alter egos.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because I'm insane and play on both the NA and EU servers, so it's cheaper than forking out for the DLCs twice.

Also, as of recently, crafting bags. I didn't realise how much I needed crafting bags until I got them.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • copito
    copito
    ✭✭✭
    I unsub cause the Lag in Cyrodiil is just too annoying. Not worth paying money for that.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I regularly spend more than the subs worth in the store month to month generally anyway. So I figure since youre getting 100 Crowns per dollar spent. Its worth the investment. The perks are just that. The Crafting Bag now makes it even more of a worthwhile investment since I craft everything I need and only sparingly use the Guild Traders to locate specific traits I have yet to research.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on July 26, 2016 4:08PM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • DenMoria
    DenMoria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. No idea why, but, yes.