The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Yes, I am going to keep Hurling Abuse at the Breton Costume.

• vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Inarre wrote: »
    Does no one else remember zos said there will never be capes due to lag. That statement explains everything.

Explains nothing really. Capes dont cause lag. Theyre calculated by the game's client on your computer and have nothing to do with latency. They may (and would) cause lower FPS, however... how hard would it be to have an extra drop down menu in the gameplay settings:

Capes:
    - visible
    - visible on player's character only
    - hidden

And then you could have a secondary menu where youd choose if the capes should be calculated with physics or use a pre-defined skeleton.

You don't have to agree with what they said or like it, and you can argue against the sense of it, but that is likely the reason it is what it is. That's all I'm saying.

Sounds much more like an excuse than a legitimate reason; a client-side item should in no way impact lag, so no it is not a reason. A reason has to be real and accurate, not based on a false premise.

You want the reason they cannot give us capes/cloaks? Well luckily they spoke of it in detail during today's ESO Live in the Ask Us Anything segment! Give it a look-see for your answer.

I'm not going to bother looking it up at the moment (perhaps later when I have more time), but if it is the same answer we have been given before of "it would increase lag", as I stated that is false and a non-reason. It may be the reason they gave, but it is not a reason. Flat out, it is a lie. Client-side animations do NOT affect client to server latency (unless they are somehow tying hit locations to flappy bits of fabric, which would be utterly moronic).

If they can't put capes/cloaks in the game, fine, but they need to 1) not lie to us about the reasons, and 2) after stating it can't be done, don't go and do it badly; do it right or not at all.

"It causing lag" was actually not stated as a reason. It was more like "technologically incompatible".

I can't watch it right now. Did they say that making it possible to add capes to the game is something they wish to do in the future, or did they shut down the possibility completely?

No. They said it would cost a bunch. They also didnt mention why they released a costume with a cloak on it, if the game cant do cloaks. Must have slipped their minds. Lots of questions and the like.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does no one else remember zos said there will never be capes due to lag. That statement explains everything.

Explains nothing really. Capes dont cause lag. Theyre calculated by the game's client on your computer and have nothing to do with latency. They may (and would) cause lower FPS, however... how hard would it be to have an extra drop down menu in the gameplay settings:

Capes:
    - visible
    - hidden

And then you could have a secondary menu where youd choose if the capes should be calculated with physics or use a pre-defined skeleton.

You don't have to agree with what they said or like it, and you can argue against the sense of it, but that is likely the reason it is what it is. That's all I'm saying.

Sounds much more like an excuse than a legitimate reason; a client-side item should in no way impact lag, so no it is not a reason. A reason has to be real and accurate, not based on a false premise.

You want the reason they cannot give us capes/cloaks? Well luckily they spoke of it in detail during today's ESO Live in the Ask Us Anything segment! Give it a look-see for your answer.

I'm not going to bother looking it up at the moment (perhaps later when I have more time), but if it is the same answer we have been given before of "it would increase lag", as I stated that is false and a non-reason. It may be the reason they gave, but it is not a reason. Flat out, it is a lie. Client-side animations do NOT affect client to server latency (unless they are somehow tying hit locations to flappy bits of fabric, which would be utterly moronic).

If they can't put capes/cloaks in the game, fine, but they need to 1) not lie to us about the reasons, and 2) after stating it can't be done, don't go and do it badly; do it right or not at all.

"It causing lag" was actually not stated as a reason. It was more like "technologically incompatible".

I can't watch it right now. Did they say that making it possible to add capes to the game is something they wish to do in the future, or did they shut down the possibility completely?

No. They said it would cost a bunch. They also didnt mention why they released a costume with a cloak on it, if the game cant do cloaks. Must have slipped their minds. Lots of questions and the like.

Cost a bunch BECAUSE they do not have the hardware to make them do what people want them to do.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Capes:
    - visible
    - hidden

Cost a bunch BECAUSE they do not have the hardware to make them do what people want them to do.

Right. It would cost a bunch.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Capes:
    - visible
    - hidden

That sounds really strange since older and other games which does not make more money,do fine with them.

It is an excuse,i have heard it before with ZoS. They are too proud to admit whats wrong,remember all their old responds and excuses for not having text chat for consoles?

Anyway i dont care much for The art design of eso anymore.. would be Nice with improvments but NO big deal

• UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Capes:
    - visible
    - hidden

That sounds really strange since older and other games which does not make more money,do fine with them.

It is an excuse,i have heard it before with ZoS. They are too proud to admit whats wrong,remember all their old responds and excuses for not having text chat for consoles?

Anyway i dont care much for The art design of eso anymore.. would be Nice with improvments but NO big deal

They actually DID admit why we cannot have actual capes/cloaks do what we want them to. Just because it's a lame reason doesn't mean it isn't the real one :p
  • CossackHD
    CossackHD
    ✭✭
    They actually DID admit why we cannot have actual capes/cloaks do what we want them to. Just because it's a lame reason doesn't mean it isn't the real one :p
    There are mods for Skyrim which add cloaks, they aren't very realistic. As the matter of fact, cloaks in Skyrim mods completely replace the tail bodypart since the cloaks use tail animation to move accordingly to the character's movement, which tails already do both in Skyrim and ESO. Can't see why ZOS won't implement cloaks' animations that way while keeping the tails visible on races which have them.
    Edited by CossackHD on August 15, 2016 9:03PM
  • Mashille
    Mashille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @CossackHD

No, adding cloaks in Skyrim is very different as it is a Single Player game with Physics . MMO's are very different.

However, they still could add cloaks to the game, as other MMO's around current;y can handle them so there is no real excuse for ESO not having them. Yes, if they added them, it could cause lag, but probably because they don't know how to not make it cause lag.
    House Baratheon: 'Ours Is The Fury'
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CossackHD wrote: »
    There are mods for Skyrim which add cloaks, they aren't very realistic. As the matter of fact, cloaks in Skyrim mods completely replace the tail bodypart since the cloaks use tail animation to move accordingly to the character's movement, which tails already do both in Skyrim and ESO. Can't see why ZOS won't implement cloaks' animations that way while keeping the tails visible on races which have them.

Body parts and clothing are 2 different things. For one thing, you can take off clothing and put it back on as frequently as you want, but you can never remove a tail...
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Body parts and clothing are 2 different things. For one thing, you can take off clothing and put it back on as frequently as you want, but you can never remove a tail...

Well not never. I just did.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well not never. I just did.

Smart aleck lol Obviously Race Change does not apply to what I said :p
  • CossackHD
    CossackHD
    ✭✭
    Mashille wrote: »
    @CossackHD

No, adding cloaks in Skyrim is very different as it is a Single Player game with Physics . MMO's are very different.

If you read me carefully, you'd notice that I mentioned using tail animation for cloak movement instead of physics. Very few games feature legit physics for cloaks. Even if cloaks did use legit physics, it would be possible to make physics LOD depended, so unless you focus on a character and see full sized details, the cloak will have simple, baked animation. Pretty much any game with cloak physics on NPCs would use that optimization approach. I'm not saying that cloaks need physics, the game doesn't even have ragdolls and I have no idea where HAVOK is used...

things. For one thing, you can take off clothing and put it back on as frequently as you want, but you can never remove a tail...

Cloak off, tail on:
    3TqJ7IW.jpg

Cloak on, tail off:
    d0YlBH1.jpg

Wander why that is so...
    VxIKYcr.jpg

AFAIK, this is possible even without SKSE. And the cloak does use tail animation as reference.
    Edited by CossackHD on August 16, 2016 11:55AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Capes:
    - visible
    - hidden

Nah Jessica actually said that it would as well increase lag and that is nonsense for any normal implementation of this. It would just increase lag, if it would be done in a totally unprofessional way - animations are performed on the client machine, not on the server.

This said, it was a live show and not all what they say is from a teleprompter (if they have something like that at all) and I doubt that Jessica knew about the technical background other than what the tech guys told her - namely that the game engine does not support this type of feature - and I guess it was her personal opinion, that it would increase lag if implemented and not an official statement.
    Edited by Lysette on August 16, 2016 1:34PM