The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hero Costumes

• Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I've wanted it for ages and when it finally came out I had problems with my PC. Logged in for just long enough to purchase it. Then I had to wipe my PC and start from scratch. So I didn't see the mess it really was... until I came to the forums...yeah, starting to regret it... :'(

Sadly, the Breton hero costume could have been so much more, but in the end it was the biggest let-down of the three IMO.

Yeah, I didn't find the other 2 that great, and besides DC is my faction, so I thought just buying the 1 would also save me some money. With all the hype around it for the past months, I thought they would have done a better job than this poop!
    PC/EU DC
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    None
    1,000 crowns for a costume is pushing it, but 2,000 for a costume is, frankly, ridiculous.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None
    So according to the poll so far 126 people have purchased either one or all of these costumes whereas 186 of us have refused them altogether. Sadly, this clearly means the darn things ARE selling. That's bad news for future quality and more reasonable prices. :neutral:
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Three
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    So according to the poll so far 126 people have purchased either one or all of these costumes whereas 186 of us have refused them altogether. Sadly, this clearly means the darn things ARE selling. That's bad news for future quality and more reasonable prices. :neutral:

Honestly, I think the quality issue is, these were probably designed in late 2014, or early '15. The Breton Hero Costume has been sitting on their servers for over a year. Compare it to the quality of new stuff, like the Treasure Hunter costume or Toxin Doctor, and I don't think we've really got that much to worry about... except, you know, people really wanted these outfits.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None

Honestly, I think the quality issue is, these were probably designed in late 2014, or early '15. The Breton Hero Costume has been sitting on their servers for over a year. Compare it to the quality of new stuff, like the Treasure Hunter costume or Toxin Doctor, and I don't think we've really got that much to worry about... except, you know, people really wanted these outfits.

I hope you're right. But the pricing remains an issue. As long as there are people foolish enough to pay these outrageous prices they will keep charging them. And that kinda sucks.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Three

I hope you're right. But the pricing remains an issue. As long as there are people foolish enough to pay these outrageous prices they will keep charging them. And that kinda sucks.

\o/ I get to be foolish! :D

But, seriously, I do think this reflects how crazy income disparity is between different users can be. I mean, for me, 60 bucks, spread over eight months isn't significant at all. But, I mean, if that's not in your budget, I understand completely.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None

But, seriously, I do think this reflects how crazy income disparity is between different users can be. I mean, for me, 60 bucks, spread over eight months isn't significant at all. But, I mean, if that's not in your budget, I understand completely.

It actually has nothing to do with level of income. Remember, I'm the girl who bought 5 Imperial Editions at launch and have maintained 3 subs in my household non-stop. AND I buy crowns. It's the sheer simple fact that, in my view, 2,000 crowns for a costume is price gouging. ESPECIALLY for these costumes that were so poorly done. I believe in the power of the purse and that the only way you can teach companies when they are doing something wrong is to withhold your $$ from them.
    Edited by MornaBaine on July 24, 2016 4:13PM

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None
    Prices have to be reasonable - I have no problem to pay premium if the quality is premium - but I do not feel well, if someone tries to sell me bad quality for a high price - the offer alone is an insult in itself.
  • Esquire1980g_ESO
    Esquire1980g_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Breton
    Breton.

Only 1 that even compared with the look of my jedi. Too much time in Star Wars Galaxies, I guess.
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All Three
    The only thing I am disappointed about is the fact the the cloak sticks to my characters legs when they walk or run
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    None

But how many of those 126 are now regretting the purchase decision after seeing the quality of it in action. That will affect the numbers which purchase future costumes for this price
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    None
    They look nothing like the actual costumes from the cinematic's, of course, but they could have at least made them look high quality like most of the armor already in-game. It's as if the hero costumes were created in the beta and packed away in some dark corner to be released in the future, with bad textures etc.
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None

That ship sailed a year ago and it ain't comin' back. ZOS already knows that a certain segment of the population will buy whatever they load the store up with.

In my case, I did not buy the Breton, or the Nord, or the Elf, costumes. They all have the same problem. They are not what they are supposed to be. They do not look right. They are approximations. Not the real thing. For that reason, they are all too expensive.

I can't buy the wolf, either. That squeal makes me laugh when I hear it. People are in the game spamming that and it is just funny. The poor thing sounds about as terrifying as a kitten. I dunno. Maybe I put the audio team on a pedestal that they cannot possibly reach and should expect stuff like this in the future. Maybe critical resources have moved on to other studios and the people that are left are not exactly the same caliber. All I know is that the cow-dog mount isn't worth the Crowns.

Edited by Elsonso on July 24, 2016 6:33PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breton
    I really believe they should offer no costume with a cloak, until they add cloaks to the game, if they have no plans to add cloak then they should not sell them, people want the look they see in the trailers, not a washed out version, that remotely resembles what we have seen.
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on July 24, 2016 5:55PM
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elf
    Yep, the Breton fat ninja suit sucks and its mainly due to the game not having coat/cloak meshes. On the other hand I cant really complain about the quality of the Altmer costume. With dyes its hands down my favorite costume in game.

hQYnLlJ.jpg

Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on July 24, 2016 6:18PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just going to say this..........if ANY of you participated in the DB storyline, you are NOT heroes.
    Edited by PlagueMonk on July 26, 2016 12:15AM
  • starsands
    starsands
    ✭✭✭
    None
    None. Overpriced and they are really ugly. Most of them removes your ears and turns you bald.
  • Xundiin
    Xundiin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elf
    The elf one is the only one I purchased. mainly because it was the first costume/set of armor that was designed to make breasts look like breasts on the female character. Also the set doesn't look bad if you remove the hood. If you don't it throws the whole thing out of wack and makes it look odd and out of place.
    Edited by Xundiin on July 24, 2016 6:53PM
    #SavePlayer1
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None
    wonkydog wrote: »

But how many of those 126 are now regretting the purchase decision after seeing the quality of it in action. That will affect the numbers which purchase future costumes for this price

I really hope you are right!

• Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    None

I've no issue with them selling costumes, people enjoy dressing up. My issue is costumes costing more than a dlc and looking unfinished. Given the time and costs (art, music, scripts, voice actors, programmers etc) involved in making a DLC such as Dark Brotherhood I find it a little insulting that they would charge more for a costume which, at a guess, would take an artist and a programmer a day or two to make
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Three

It actually has nothing to do with level of income. Remember, I'm the girl who bought 5 Imperial Editions at launch and have maintained 3 subs in my household non-stop. AND I buy crowns. It's the sheer simple fact that, in my view, 2,000 crowns for a costume is price gouging. ESPECIALLY for these costumes that were so poorly done. I believe in the power of the purse and that the only way you can teach companies when they are doing something wrong is to withhold your $$ from them.

I think you're missing the point I was making. It's not a bragging contest of, " who spent more?" It's about what the money represents to you. Though, to be fair, if I was maintaining 5 accounts, I'd be a lot more circumspect about throwing 300 bucks at the costumes.

As it is... like I said, throwing 60 bucks at the game, over 6 months wasn't a blip on my finances. Actually, technically, not even that, given I only bought crowns, during the sale. So the Breton costume cost me about 8 bucks, and the Nord and Elven ones were part of the subscriber stipend. It's also why I'm a lot more forgiving of the Dro'mathra Senche, because it only set me back about 16 or 17 dollars. Steep, but nothing outrageous.

I agree that if a company is screwing with you, you've every right to walk away. The problem is, you're approaching this with an opinion (that the costumes are overpriced trash, and anyone who bought them should feel bad about it), and holding it up as objective fact. Thing is, I actually like the costumes. The Breton one is kinda underwhelming, but that was visible from when the preview images were first datamined last year. The coat should have been handled better. I'm not surprised, but, still, it's there. And the colors on the Elven Hero outfit are kinda underwhelming... though that won't be an issue for much longer.

If I'd actually spent 40 for the Dro'Mathra Senche, and 20 for the Breton Hero, I might be more critical of them, but, as is? It's not about how much you spent, it's a question of, do you, as a consumer, feel you got your money's worth out of them?

Well, yeah, I do.

You can call me names for that; I mean, I honestly don't care. But, you're still starting from a position that your aesthetic tastes are objective fact, rather than an opinion.

EDIT: Ironically, the crown store purchase I do regret is the red and black dress that got discontinued. I bought it for half off, and now I've got a 50 on the end of my crown balance I can't get rid of. :\
    Edited by starkerealm on July 24, 2016 8:04PM
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nord
    Bought Nord and Breton regretfully..
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Three

Wait, we can just repeat old posts in this thread, without issue?

Because I'm entirely willing to repeat what I said earlier about the more recent costumes looking far better than the hero ones, and how the hero costumes were sitting "on a shelf" for over a year, based on when the datamining first revealed them.
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    None

Because I'm entirely willing to repeat what I said earlier about the more recent costumes looking far better than the hero ones, and how the hero costumes were sitting "on a shelf" for over a year, based on when the datamining first revealed them.

Do it :sunglasses:
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elf
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    I'm just going to say this..........if ANY of you participated in the DB storyline, you are NOT heroes.

Who says the DB character is the same wearing the hero outfit? :P
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Three
    Cazzy wrote: »

Okay.

thread-necromancy_zpsexf6wjna.png

No, wait, bad ctl-v, no biscuit!
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None
    vastly over priced low quality products
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Edgemoor
    Edgemoor
    ✭✭✭
    All Three
    Nord one looks weird from the rear, which is how you see your toon predominantly, but otherwise looks good. Floating hip plates are also an annoying issue, as with many armours.

Elven one looks awesome, although less cleavage would have been better on female toons.

Breton one ..... regretting getting it. Hope they redo aspects of it as it was the one I was really looking forward to.
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    None
    Cazzy wrote: »

Okay.

thread-necromancy_zpsexf6wjna.png

No, wait, bad ctl-v, no biscuit!

:')