Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Lack of Skill points??

zittylolb14_ESO
Their is a sorry shortage of skill points in this game now, especially after the new DLC's. Trying to get all crafting skills along with new dlc's is impossible.
I can forget about being a Vampire and or Werewolf...even skills lines like mages, fighter, and Undauted...have hardly any skill points into them.
Go anywhere....do anything.....is a mantra that is sorrily lacking in faith for me, just like most religions...LAME.....do not let the Car-ma runneth over you Beth on the
lack of skill points?
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, there are more than enough skillpoints in the game. Why should we be able to unlock literally everything? Not even single player TES games allowed us to do so without heavy grinding which was as boring as it was pointless.
    Edited by Rosveen on July 12, 2016 4:30PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you complete the content, you will have enough skill points to unlock everything. Well most everything, no one needs to unlock everything simply because your either Stamina or Magic based, and your not going to use all the Weapon skills on a character. Most of us have unused skill points even after wasting 40 to 50 on material passives so we can farm.
    Edited by Nestor on July 12, 2016 4:38PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• zittylolb14_ESO
    Rosveen wrote: »
    No, there are more than enough skillpoints in the game. Why should we be able to unlock literally everything? Not even single player TES games allowed us to do so without heavy grinding which was as boring as it was pointless.

Really....Seriously "heavy grinding" "BORING"..you talking about every MMO that has ever been made...and your using that line of anti-dogma MMO to prove to me we do not need more skill points...ROFFL....that reply "Made my day" tyvm.

Actually your wrong about Bethesda games....you can play Fallout4 endlessly and their is no level cap...you can get every skill point in FO4.
    The same with Skyrim.
    And every Bethesda gave has the mantra: "go anywhere...do anything" but not when it comes to skill points????
    Edited by zittylolb14_ESO on July 12, 2016 5:13PM
  • zittylolb14_ESO
    Nestor wrote: »
    Once you complete the content, you will have enough skill points to unlock everything. Well most everything, no one needs to unlock everything simply because your either Stamina or Magic based, and your not going to use all the Weapon skills on a character. Most of us have unused skill points even after wasting 40 to 50 on material passives so we can farm.

Give me a good reason why I can not, "go anywhere do anything" mantra of Bethesda dogma.

They want imput on the game...they listen to gamers?.....well I am telling you.... I like having more options so I can go anywhere and do anything in the game.

And right now I can not be a vampire or even level up all my cloth skill because I do not have enuf skill points....can not do craglorn dunegeons because they are not solo-able......you have to have group...lame.

The game already is the hardest grinding of any MMO out there except EQ...now your saying I can not grind for more skill points because it is not allowed?
    Is this game for the devs to have their way or the players who are paying them?
    Beth wants to make this the best MMO out there?....well give us all more skill points...and let us grind away like you have the game set-up....Jesus talk about a lame double standard?.....grind away for ever paying your monthly sub...but sorry kiddies no more skill points?...dah?
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a respec shrine in every capital city (Wayrest, Mournhold, Elden Root) where you can respec your skillpoints and spend them on what you wish to level up or use.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on July 12, 2016 5:44PM
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Go anywhere do anything

Get everything all at same time

Those statements are not the same.

So dont see how "cannot unlock every skill" is a contradiction

Now to why you should not be able to get everything.

That makes choices matter more.

If you can and thus will be unlocking every skill, then at that moment your prior choices dont matter. You wound up at the same place.

If you wont be able to have it all then what you chose to take and what you choose to leave means there will be differences.

Its not a meaningful or tough choice if its just the order of you gains and no matter what you end up with it all in the end.

Imo.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    If you collect all the skyshards, and get all the quest-related/quest reward/public dungeon group challenge/group dungeon reward skillpoints you will have over 300 points to spend. This is not counting PVP skillpoints. that's enough to have a pretty well rounded build with plenty of points to allocate to crafting.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually your wrong about Bethesda games....you can play Fallout4 endlessly and their is no level cap...you can get every skill point in FO4.
    The same with Skyrim.
    I see reading comprehension is a dying skill.

You need to reach level 252 to unlock every perk in Skyrim. I'd die of boredom long before I got there - and I'm not the only one. As a result, the game has a perk softcap of sorts, so I don't mind having a similar cap in ESO.

Anyway, I still don't see your point. I maxed out all crafting disciplines, all my characters are combat-ready (usually in 2 different roles) and I still have leftover skillpoints.
    Edited by Rosveen on July 12, 2016 6:39PM
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a character that has all 6 crafts maxed, all important PvE passives and skills maxed and is 100% dialed in for farming, crafting writs, crafting, solo play, and the public dungeons.

I'm leveling a second character that will be PvP and hardcore group specced. With no points in crafting, I have a TON of unused points on him at the moment.

2 toons - 1 crafter/farmer and 1 brawler - problem solved

Just like in life, one person can't do it all.
    Edited by Bouldercleave on July 12, 2016 6:38PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a good reason why I can not, "go anywhere do anything" mantra of Bethesda dogma.

Give me a reason as to why not having enough skill points to activate every single skill in the game stops you from going anywhere or doing anything? You can respec your points if you want to unlock or activate a different weapon skill or even change out your build completely. Your choices have not been taken away from you.

I have two characters that have every weapon skill developed. If I want to change out what weapons they use, I can in just a few minutes and some Gold.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• RandalMarrs
    RandalMarrs
    ✭✭✭
    Also this is far from a hard game to grind.
  • Niastissa
    Niastissa
    ✭✭✭
    Their is a sorry shortage of skill points in this game now, especially after the new DLC's. Trying to get all crafting skills along with new dlc's is impossible.
    I can forget about being a Vampire and or Werewolf...even skills lines like mages, fighter, and Undauted...have hardly any skill points into them.
    Go anywhere....do anything.....is a mantra that is sorrily lacking in faith for me, just like most religions...LAME.....do not let the Car-ma runneth over you Beth on the
    lack of skill points?

I haven't run into issues. I have my battle skills learned for what I use. My werewolf is almost fully upgraded. My blacksmith is upgraded all the way. I have provisioning, enchanting and wood working very far along.

You can get more skill points by questing, doing quests for dungeons and PVP. Lots of skill points are available after you reach level 50.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    OP how far through the game are you and how many of the skill points available to you have you got? If you're struggling for skill points that badly I'd say you've either not respecced skill points out of skills you no longer use, haven't collected all the skill points available to you from quests/skyshards etc, haven't done much/any of cadwells silver and gold or a combination of these.

I've got the last 2 zones of cadwells gold to do, there are still 3 group dungeons I haven't done on normal plus a load of vet ones, I'm a really low rank in cyrodiil so there are still loads of skill points I don't have and I'm maxed in all crafts, have every skill and passive I need (I still haven't unlocked some undaunted and alliance skills but I'll get more skill points while unlocking those anyway), I've got a bunch of wasted skill points in skills I don't use and I've got about a dozen unused skill points. There are plenty of skill points available.

It's interesting you've mentioned the dlc's, I know I felt like I was using more skill points on the thieves guild and dark brotherhood skill lines than I was picking up but I wasn't counting, does anyone know how many skill points you get in these 2 dlc's and how many you'd use on the associated skill line if you maxed it out?
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lack of skill points?

Another person who completely skips all the primary game content and then boo-hoo doesn't know why everyone else has cool stuff and he doesn't.

If you grind your way to the top you might have enough skill points for combat skills, but not crafting and everything else. You have to either do the main content including Silver and Gold and all delves and dungeons - or get a 2nd character up to champion level and then respect them to only do crafting.

And also you get more skillpoints now after the DB DLC. Before some quests only gave one skill point, but now some quests give 2.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very tough in the lower levels, and you will have to prioritize. For crafting, I had others willing to make my armor, so I prioritized the research, extraction, hireling, and keen eye (1pt) and otherwise left them alone and focused on combat skills.

My main character has:
    - maximum master crafter in all six skills (all skill points except only one in keen eye for each and none in woodworking research since she has 9 traits, and none in snake blood or the extended durations on food and drink)
    - max level vampire (all skill points except none in the one for feeding since she stays stage 4)
    - all skills and passives, morphed and maxed, for restoration and destruction staff limrs
    - all passives for race, class lines, light armor, and undaunted
    - about 15 points spread across Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and Ledgerdemain passives (still leveling these)
    - most (~80%) class skills, all morphed
    - light and medium armor actives, morphed
    - half the mages guild skill line actives, morphed, plus all passives
    - every magicka active skill from PvP, and half of all the passives (still leveling)
    - 5 unused skill points

She can still get skill points from:
    - Alik'r Desert faction quests
    - 1 zone's worth of skyshards
    - 1 faction zone of skyshards in Cyrodiil
    - about half the Imperial City DLC skyshards
    - Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questline points (I have only 1 from the Dark Brotherhood and none from Thieves Guild)
    - a few skyshards in Craglorn

So someday you can do everything on the same character! But it takes a while, and a lot of skyshard hunting and questing. ;)
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that not being given the skill points to max out every skill line is a good thing and leads you to think about where you are going with your character. If you play long enough you will have more than enough skill points.

Based on my actual experience, if you complete the main PVE content, including mages/fighters guild story lines, make the effort to do Cadwells silver/gold and collect all of the skyshards along the way, you will have more skill points than you could ever realistically use on one character.

Do not mistake this for saying you will have enough skill points to max out everything, that is different. Resetting skills to try different roles/weapons/skill lines is all part of the game, so you cannot expect to have enough skill points to max them all out because you cannot use them all at the same time.
    Edited by disintegr8 on July 12, 2016 10:20PM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • bulbousb16_ESO
    bulbousb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill points are outrageously plentiful. You can get them through quests and skyshards and just leveling up. Seriously, they give you the opportunity to get a boatload of skill points. If you don't have more than enough, you are doing something wrong.
    Lethal zergling
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They want imput on the game...they listen to gamers?.....well I am telling you.... I like having more options so I can go anywhere and do anything in the game.

And right now I can not be a vampire or even level up all my cloth skill because I do not have enuf skill points....can not do craglorn dunegeons because they are not solo-able......you have to have group...lame.

The game already is the hardest grinding of any MMO out there except EQ...now your saying I can not grind for more skill points because it is not allowed?
    Beth wants to make this the best MMO out there?....well give us all more skill points...and let us grind away like you have the game set-up....Jesus talk about a lame double standard?.....grind away for ever paying your monthly sub...but sorry kiddies no more skill points?...dah?

Your choices have consequences.

There is no point in having all the skills you have learnt unlocked. You don't need all the skills in all of the weapons, you don't need all the skills in all of the class lines.

For instance my Stam DK has unlocked all of the Ardent Flame class skills, but only uses two. She's also unlocked all the Mage's Guild skills, but doesn't use any. I DW and S&B but don't have points invested in all of the skills, only the ones I use.

Make your choices carefully and there are enough skill points.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zittylolb14_ESO - seriously dude,
    What level are you?

You can have more than enough skill point to unlock every damn skill you need in this game and still have some left over,
    i have a crafter who is maxed in all crafting and is a werewolf and still fullfills the role of a tank in dungeons.

He has enough skill points to do all this..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have a master crafter with two weapon skill lines, all ledgerman, all thieves guild, all dragon knight skills, several assult/support/undaunted/soul magic/assasins skills and passives.. I have 9 skill points left over and know I still have not gotten anywere near the skill points left over in the game. Discovering were I can get more skill points has been a challenge though.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously @zittylolb14_ESO listen to the comments. There are more SP's than you can use. Have you got all the shards in all the zones? Done all the SP quests? L50 in PvP for those SP's? Mages Guild choice etc etc?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Captain8504
    Captain8504
    ✭✭✭
    That's why there are shrines in game to let you reset your skill points. So when you mess up on a build, you can reset and start again. :smiley:
  • JHawk
    JHawk
    ✭✭
    There are more skill points now with the addition of the DLCs not less. OP you seem to be very aggressive about this topic and also very incorrect on your diagnosis of "there are far too few skill points".

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tamriel Foundry has an article on skill points and where to get them. It includes links to other useful sites like UESP.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/skill-points/

Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

:looks at the 5 fully leveled and skilled with passives werewolves out of the 8 characters I have that include my maxed level 50 in provisioning/alchemy/enchanting NB who is currently working on the DB, my maxed smith/woodworker/clothier currently working through Orsinium:

Okay, so you say you can't be a vampire and a clothier. Why? You don't have the points, you say. You don't have the points YET.

That maxed smith/woodworker/clothier who is Fighter's guild/Mages/Undaunted and is also a maxed ww? She has 8 skill points I haven't assigned yet because there is nothing that I need to assign them to, yet. She uses heavy armor and two handed axe. I don't bother with adding points to medium armor or one handed weapons. The one doing the DB is also Undaunted/Fighter/Mages but doesn't have any unused skillpoints, but I just picked up the DB storyline, so I'm using them. I haven't wasted any of her skill points on heavy armor or two handed melee weapons.... There are enough skill points, you have to decide what is important to the character and choose. Spray and pray should never apply to skill points. None of my characters have managed to collect all the skyshards, by the way. So I still have skill points to get, even without doing any more story quests that award them.

• Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main character currenty has 329 skill points earned, and 30+ I could still get if I cared for PvP. As others have said, there are more than enough points to craft and max the skill lines you use when fighting. Or do you use bow+staves+shield+daggers+battleaxe+everything else at the same time while being a werewolf vampire mastercrafter?
    PC-EU
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    ...everything else at the same time while being a werewolf vampire mastercrafter?

Hilarious! Werewolf vampire mastercafter!
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s ok to post obvious baits in the forums but at least make some effort with it....
    Edited by Qbiken on July 18, 2016 3:58PM
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty skillpoints in the game. If they give us more skills then maybe there would be cause for concern, but I have plenty skillpoints on characters that haven't even hunted skyshards (with any seriousness) in silver and gold. Attributes and gear force you to go down a particular gear and skill path. There's no reason to USE restoration/destruction if you're Stamina +64. It is worth leveling all those skills particularly if you want a change of pace, but that's what respecs are for. With alliance war points, dlc points, cadwell silver/gold skyshards/storyline points, Main quest skyshard/storyline points, leveling points, there's no reason to complain. You just need to get out there and do the work.

I'd say the biggest thing that annoys me with your statements is how insulting you are not only to the developers but also other players. You're just really harsh and the way you're writing to us won't win friends.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not even single player TES games allowed us to do so

FALSE
    without heavy grinding which was as boring as it was pointless.

This is your opinion...

Does it annoy you if someone else wants to be a jack of all trades and have a 1 char god like in the single player games?

Let's see:

Class Skills
    60 skill points for class skills and passives

Weapon Skills:
    20 skill points per weapon skill line = 120 skill points for all weapon skills and passives OR
    80 skill points for stamina characters & 40 for magicka

Armour Skills:
    13 Skill points per armour skill line ( 39 for all 3 )

World Skills - let's skip world for now and get back to it later on...

Guild Skills:

Fighters Guild ( stamina chars must have )
    19 Skill points for all skills OR 18 if you leave out bounty hunter

Mages Guild:
    19 Skills for all skills OR 18 if you leave Persuade

Undaunted:
    14 Skill points for Undaunted ( you can probably get away with a lot less here for example only 6 for magicka chars and 10 for stamina chars

Let's ignore the TG and DB DLC's for now

Alliance War:

Assault:
    16 Skill points ( all must haves for stamina chars ), magicka need most but can get away without caltrops or vigor, but the point of this post is to show what a person who WANTS all the skills needs

Support:
    16 Skill points

Emperor:
    5 skill points for these passives

Racial Passives:
    9 skill points

World:

Soul Magic
    9 Skill points

Legerdemain:
    20 Skill points

Vamp:
    15 Skill points

(good news is you only need one or the other but ideally it would be nice to already have the skills in both so when or if you make the switch you don't have to reset anything)

WW
    23 Skill points

TG:
    11 Skill points

DB:
    11 Skill points

NOW CRAFTING:

133 Skill points total

Alchemy: 19 Skill points
    Blacksmithing: 25 Skill points
    Clothing: 25 Skill points
    Enchanting: 22 Skill points
    Provisioning: 25 Skill points
    Woodworking: 25 Skill points

Grand Total:

Now granted very few people will have Emperor and Undaunted maxed, nor will most people want to use more than 1 armour type usually... so that's :

5+19+13+13= 40 + (either vamp or ww or both if you want to be a regular mortal), you can then also remove the research passives from the crafting once you have them. The point remains though for a Jack of all trades it's very frustrating having this massive gap...

Please note I am not complaining but this lack of making a 1 char god is the main reason I now have 10 maxed out chars with max lvl gear and 2 are on their way...

This is also the reason why my original main is not done with Cadwell gold yet, because I realised long ago it wouldn't even help... So I started making alts for the different play-styles.

@Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."