Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

The four-fifth-non-katana katana: what on earth did you do with it, ZoS?

dtm_samuraib16_ESO
dtm_samuraib16_ESO
✭✭✭✭
To me, this "4/5th Non Katana" Katana, which has a Katana handle, but a frikken curved saber blade, is a fairly disturbing sight.
Especially in fist person view, in which I constant am.
I for one, would like to see this fixed with a "true" Katana blade.
How about you?
Edited by dtm_samuraib16_ESO on May 19, 2016 11:11AM
Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
"If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
"Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."

The four-fifth-non-katana katana: what on earth did you do with it, ZoS? 70 votes

Yes, it looks rediculous.
17%
ola.wilhelmssonb16_ESOGilbert_Gaucirwb17_ESOkhele23eb17_ESOMalmaiphreatophileSheezabeastEnemy-of-ColdharbourMr.HmmDaimmyoParaNostramSapheros7387Jazbay_Grape 12 votes
No, I like the combined Katana/Saber.
24%
vailjohn_ESOSunraagabahmeatshieldb14_ESOBigBraggValveidkRajajshkaSapherisTheShadowScoutKingYogi415JubJubFeisty_Khajiit128SkyyMarktoneth3DrazoriousC0wrexkinggingernator 17 votes
I could care less, really.
54%
sekou_trayvondKendaricaubrey.baconb16_ESOHjelmerinaElsirkojoustojekarcub18_ESOZorrashiGhost-Shotdroids097CouslyChelosLegolesstherrieurbitelsdutchbrownieEgonieserPot_NoodlesLenikusZenzuki 38 votes
What is a Katana? o_O
4%
KhamiraEasily_LostDorrow 3 votes
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the soul shriver one?

If so, what's wrong with it?
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like a post about a visual yet there are no pictures to even see what they're talking about.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea which sword you are talking about. There are a couple different swords that look like katanas.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If no pics, then you should probably give people what style sword you're talking about.

Aren't the Akaviri the ones with the Japanese crafting style?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    54887506.jpg
    (has no idea what OP is talking about)
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw, sorry, I thought most would know which one I spoke of: the Akaviri, indeed.
    Pic (1st person view):
    Screenshot_20160519_143704_zpsb0qm2uwf.png
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pic (1st person view):

Totally doesnt look like a katana.

I dont think Katanas are curved.
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Pic (1st person view):

they are
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shaped more like a tachi than a katana. The only odd part is that it is being used with a shield.
    Edited by BigBragg on May 19, 2016 12:57PM
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shinto-Katana.jpg

Katanas ARE slightly curved.....

Note: and older models seem to be even more curved.
    Edited by NovaMarx on May 19, 2016 1:07PM
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The blades are indeed sabre-like... too long for a sabre tho. Too thin (in proportion to length) and too curved for a katana.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixing up real-world styles for a "fantasy/alternate world" look is a classic. As such, I approve. And wouldn't mind seeing more of the sort...
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    soul shriven are the closest to Katana-like weapons I know of. Akavari swords look nothing like katanas and are double sided. Katanas are supposed to be curved and one sided, and have a slight taper to them as they reach the point. I don't see what the issue is. They look like real katanas. Someone already provided a pic of a real katana, but you can google it if you want other pics
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol there are different types of Japanese swords, some of them have more defined curve than your-typical-katana.
    Maybe its based on a tachi sword, not a katana. :p

P.S. As a weapon aestetics nerd, I would say that animations of melee combat in this game are much more inaccurate than this weapon model. :D

P.P.S. Oh, and argonian greatsword. Nuff said.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on May 19, 2016 2:35PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Pic (1st person view):

katanas are curved a bit.... ive studied kendo for 5 years ... u are most likely thinking of a "ninja sword" which has a square guard and a straight blade
    Edited by W0lf_z13 on May 19, 2016 1:59PM
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less, but that wasn't a poll option.
  • NateAssassin
    NateAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul shriven sword is good looking and is the best looking sword in the game, and when I think about it ALL of the soul shriven weapons look the best...
    AD | Malaya the Mystic ─ VR16 Khajiit Sorc | Shal'ina the Swift ─ VR16 Khajiit NB | Jòhn Cena ─ VR1 Khajiit NB | Priestess Shaari ─ VR1 Temp
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like katana swords but I could care less in this game or TES games as you can't wield it right...I mean your picture is katana and shield then you ask if the blade looks ridiculous. :p
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Looks like very few don't like the katana swords in game.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could we get a pick that isnt from that angle? Thats not the greatest angle to criticize an object from.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could we get a pick that isnt from that angle? Thats not the greatest angle to criticize an object from.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katanas ARE curved :tongue:

They're also meant to be wielded with two hands, and the shorter Wakizashi is the one handed/close quarters version. That "ninja sword" someone mentioned was more often than not a shortened Katana. If you want a longer sword (with an even more apparent curve, obviously) you'll want a Tachi, but that one is basically useless outside of open battlefields. Samurai usually carried the Katana (+Wakizashi) when in a civil environment, and the Tachi (+Tanto, a knife) as part of their battle gear.

Also, they are 100% not made to combat opponents in full plate armour :smiley: and Samurai also didn't carry shields, shame on you.
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Daimmyo
    Daimmyo
    ✭✭✭
    That's why we need real like Katana's in the game, so we can educate them young-ens, and also adapt ESO so we can use all those role playing samurai type characters we had in Morrowind, there was this gigantic thread with all variations constructed.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OP is only interested in one angle which is obvious from his post and poll choices. He's not exactly interested in what we think.
  • Talyena
    Talyena
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they will have true to life katanas when they introduce pandas as a playable race and ninjas as a new class...
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol there are different types of Japanese swords, some of them have more defined curve than your-typical-katana.

P.S. As a weapon aestetics nerd, I would say that animations of melee combat in this game are much more inaccurate than this weapon model. :D

What about the argonian greatsword?
    NovaMarx wrote: »
    Shinto-Katana.jpg

Katanas ARE slightly curved.....

I think the idea is that katanas are SLIGHTLY curved. Also, the weapons in game seem too long and too thin.
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on May 19, 2016 4:49PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Argonian has two types of mauls instead.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Argonian has two types of mauls instead.

Technically it IS a sword. Its modelled after the macuahuitl - a wooden sword with obsidian blades (which can be sharper than modern steel scalpels) used by Mesoamerican civilizations (Aztecs for example). It looked like this:

8c62b2bacc2a04b080a20731004c2986.jpg

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talyena wrote: »
    I'm sure they will have true to life katanas when they introduce pandas as a playable race and ninjas as a new class...

So glad we can buy extra character slots. A ninja panda character. Eat your heart of khajiits and argonians.
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

OP is only interested in one angle which is obvious from his post and poll choices. He's not exactly interested in what we think.

I actually, do, but I've been gaming and had ignored the forum a bit.
    As for a different angle, I will post one tomorrow.