Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The four-fifth-non-katana katana: what on earth did you do with it, ZoS?

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could care less, really.
    Lol there are different types of Japanese swords, some of them have more defined curve than your-typical-katana.
    Maybe its based on a tachi sword, not a katana. :p

P.S. As a weapon aestetics nerd, I would say that animations of melee combat in this game are much more inaccurate than this weapon model. :D

P.P.S. Oh, and argonian greatsword. Nuff said.

What about the argonian greatsword?

Its one of the most oversized greatsword in game.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inspiration for a model is not replication. Last I checked, it is not called a Katana in game...
    My guess is OP is a wannabe Samurai-Ninja elite and this offends their identity... But jokes aside, this is a 100% non-issue unless you are one of them people to scream 'cultural appropriation'
    Edited by notimetocare on May 20, 2016 2:49AM
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    The curvature of a katana is determined by the rate the blade temperature is cooled during quenching. Ideally it has a slight curve, but if the blade undergoes a more rapid cooling after smithing, it would have a more pronounced curve but be more brittle.
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they funcional ? Do they look like they can stab someone and/or cut them in a way that causes mild amputations ?

If so, waht's teh problem, bruh?
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it looks rediculous.
    Lenikus wrote: »
    Are they funcional ? Do they look like they can stab someone and/or cut them in a way that causes mild amputations ?

If so, waht's teh problem, bruh?

I think the problem is... they dont look as cool as they could.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you tell that a style from a fictional civilization on a fantasy game "could" be different ?
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it looks rediculous.
    Lenikus wrote: »
    How can you tell that a style from a fictional civilization on a fantasy game "could" be different ?

Because I dont live within the confines of that gaming world thus I realize it is in fact a _fictional_ civilisation and the devs could have made the things look differently...?
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on May 20, 2016 4:59AM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not a native english speaker and won't mock you or anything, but I can give you a good advice instead.
    Next time you'll be doubting between "could care less" or "couldn't care less" pick "I don't give a ***" option.

Edited by Anhedonie on May 20, 2016 5:29AM
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inspiration for a model is not replication. Last I checked, it is not called a Katana in game...
    My guess is OP is a wannabe Samurai-Ninja elite and this offends their identity... But jokes aside, this is a 100% non-issue unless you are one of them people to scream 'cultural appropriation'

Not sure what it is in this game , but in Oblivion it was an Akaviri Katana for the one hand, and Akaviri Dai-Katana for the 2 hand.
    Edit: Oblivion also had Daedric versions of the 1 and 2 hand Katanas
    Edited by GivvumBoane on May 20, 2016 6:29AM
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.
  • Blackbird71
    Blackbird71
    ✭✭✭

I'll let "Weird" Al make my point:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes: "I could care less"

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," indicating that you care so little about something that it is absolutely impossible for you to care any less than you already do.

As Mr. Yankovic points out, "I could care less" means that you do actually care (at least a little), as there is a measure of caring which exists that is less than how much you care. How large or small that measure of caring is is something completely undefined; it could be tiny or it could be huge.
    Divinius wrote: »
    I couldn't care less, but that wasn't a poll option.

Somebody gets it.

This post sponsored by the coalition to fight the spread of ignorance through the internet - yes, we know it's a lost cause, so what?
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katanas ARE curved :tongue:

They're also meant to be wielded with two hands, and the shorter Wakizashi is the one handed/close quarters version. That "ninja sword" someone mentioned was more often than not a shortened Katana. If you want a longer sword (with an even more apparent curve, obviously) you'll want a Tachi, but that one is basically useless outside of open battlefields. Samurai usually carried the Katana (+Wakizashi) when in a civil environment, and the Tachi (+Tanto, a knife) as part of their battle gear.

Also, they are 100% not made to combat opponents in full plate armour :smiley: and Samurai also didn't carry shields, shame on you.

u get an awesome from me for mentioning the Tanto
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4/5 people have no idea what sword you are talking about. Wait... SQUIRRELL!!!
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Aw, sorry, I thought most would know which one I spoke of: the Akaviri, indeed.
    Pic (1st person view):
    Screenshot_20160519_143704_zpsb0qm2uwf.png

Totally doesnt look like a katana.

I dont think Katanas are curved.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Depending on the era, katanas did take a curved shape like that and just like in the west it was intended for cavalrymen. The curved sword is called a 'tachi' and showed up around the 8th century. I've seen and handled swords like this that were very old. A curved saber-like Katana is not as strange as you think it is.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want the Blades' sword & Armour from Oblivion.

Seriously, I would actually send you my kidney in exchange for that motif.
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll let "Weird" Al make my point:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Word Crimes: "I could care less"

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," indicating that you care so little about something that it is absolutely impossible for you to care any less than you already do.

As Mr. Yankovic points out, "I could care less" means that you do actually care (at least a little), as there is a measure of caring which exists that is less than how much you care. How large or small that measure of caring is is something completely undefined; it could be tiny or it could be huge.
    Divinius wrote: »
    I couldn't care less, but that wasn't a poll option.

Somebody gets it.

This post sponsored by the coalition to fight the spread of ignorance through the internet - yes, we know it's a lost cause, so what?

Exactly! :lol:

Note: I too would have chosen the option "Couldn't care less".
    Edited by NovaMarx on May 20, 2016 7:27PM
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried to make a new screen in 1st view, but alas...

Still, in 1st person it looks like a rusted, horribly damaged saber blade, rather than that in 3rp person view.
    And I tried so hard to neglect it, but...

As for Samurai/Ninja wannabe?
    Seriously, you think that's an insult?
    Try harder.
    Earthdawn Game Master Role Play Quotes by me:
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
    "Be careful what you wish for, you might get plenty of it..."
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tried to make a new screen in 1st view, but alas...

Still, in 1st person it looks like a rusted, horribly damaged saber blade, rather than that in 3rp person view.
    And I tried so hard to neglect it, but...

As for Samurai/Ninja wannabe?
    Seriously, you think that's an insult?
    Try harder.
    "If it looks like a bear, if it feels like a bear, smells and tastes like a bear, then be VERY aware, it could be something ENTIRELY different..."
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP.. you are thinking of a ninjato
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjatō

Not a katana
    Its part of the quenching process to cut the blade into water.
    This process is what causes the essential curve to optimise the efficiency of the slice.
    See forging & construction....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katana

Ninjato were more a mass produced rough and ready blade.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr.Hmm wrote: »
    Aw, sorry, I thought most would know which one I spoke of: the Akaviri, indeed.
    Pic (1st person view):
    Screenshot_20160519_143704_zpsb0qm2uwf.png

Totally doesnt look like a katana.

I dont think Katanas are curved.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Depending on the era, katanas did take a curved shape like that and just like in the west it was intended for cavalrymen. The curved sword is called a 'tachi' and showed up around the 8th century. I've seen and handled swords like this that were very old. A curved saber-like Katana is not as strange as you think it is.

Honjo Masamune, is the most valuable and sought-after katana in existence, assuming it still exists. It was confiscated after WWII by the Americans and has never been seen since. It had curvature extending through the tang. Hilt and blade formed a continuous curve. Remarkable blade forged by Legendary Masamune.
  • Teridaxus
    Teridaxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the weaponry and armor is so far detatched from any real world equivalent that it's a moot point. It's a fantasy game, the choices are stylistic.
  • dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    dtm_samuraib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know what a Katana looks like.
    Or a ninjato.

I want a nice, first person katana blade... not that rusted, damaged sabre blade...
    Odd, in 3rd it looks nice, just not in 1st.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lenikus : I love how you said mild amputations. :D

And our friends the Tsaesci probably have different needs for their swords than their closest real-life equivalent. As long as it works on dragons they're probably happy...except for the poor guy(s) who got soul shriven to bring us these swords, as their sword-making skills obviously didn't get them out of Coldharbour.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC