Interesting... Cyrodill performance issue...possible problem area found

alvehyannab14_ESO
Lots of people complain about performance in Cyrodiil, I have issues only in cyrodill and while trying to improve I discovered something intereting.

First, I'll admit, it could jsut be my system, but I have a pretty clean, build myself from ground up system for gaming. While not close to top of the line, It's solid.

i5 @3.2 (2nd gen)
16 GB RAM, XPS profiled overclock
Radeom r9 200
Windows 7
Asus MB

High settings, with a few things link partial distance turned down, partical density, Bloom and DOF turned off.

So, at first, I'd have huge FPS drops, and pure stuttering (like 3 second of nothing moving at all) in large fights. It always took me as it being weird since I can get 70+fps in other zones, and even with a large group doing a WB, it's good and stable at 55-60.

So why do I drop to 5-9 FPS in PVP with only about at most, a dozen more people in a mid-sized (20 on 20) fight in Cyrodill. (Not always, but about 25% of the time)

Then something really set me off, if I died in said fight with the FPS low. When I respawn (far away at a fort) I'm still at 5-10 FPS, even though there's no fighting, and almost nobody around. A place I normally am sitting at 60fps. This would stay there, even as I run back..with nobody around..at 5-10 fps. Then when I get close to the fight...it either
1) stays crappy
2) magically goes up to 30-50 FPS the fight is then either semi okay, or goes crappy again.

I also noticed, if I'm getting crappy FPS, and die sometimes my FPS shoots back up.

I can recall on scroll fight at temple that was at least 40 v 40...I was doing ok actually for most of it, 20 fps...meh. Then it crapped out (froze for about 4 seconds) and I found myself dead. As soon as I died, my FPS shot back up to 50+, even though I could see the whole fight.

I noticed this would happen sometimes, as soon as I'm dead, my FPS shot up. Even though I could still see everything.

I brought up the Radeon graphics manager, and went to the ESO game and looked in clock/memory/fan/power settings.

I overclocked it, and it seemed to help. At least decrease the frequency of FPS drop out and stutters.

But as I watched when things would go bad...I noticed something.

The "Load" to "Activity" would randomly drop on my graphics card

High FPS always had my card between 33% (with nobody around) and 60-70% with a big PVP battle.

Whenever thing got really bad...5-15 fps...my "Activity" was DOWN to about 15%. Whenever I had stutters...0%.

So...what I think is happening, for whatever reason, ESO and/or my CPU stops sending data to my video card (which my monitors are plugged into of course) and that's when I have problems.

At times, it's sending some data to GPU and the rest to CPU, and other times nothing... or something like that.

And I think it has something to do with all the data related to other player data confusing it, it gets flustered and stops interacting as well with my card.

Drivers are up to date, and everything.And I encounter no problems like this. Even when I did 40 v 40 in FFXIV with graphics on highest settings. Solid 60fps.

Anyways, a lot more here, but in trying to figure this out for a month now, doing lots of reading, hearing other people with similar problems (good FPS elsewhere, inconstancy in PVP performance) this looks like something to be looked at by ZOS.

Randomly, the game engine getting flustered, and stopping of data (or slowing) to the GPU.

My workaround? At first, I found logging out and back in, would reset poor FPS back to normal. But then I figure out I could change anything in my settings that requires a reload (graphics, addons, etc..) and it instantly fixed it.

I could literally be on a tower, defending a keep. Getting 15fps...do a reload, and come back to 40+.
Or standing in an empty keep after dieing, getting 9 fps...reload back into 60+

So something is broken. It could be my system, but I'm done a clean install of both ESO and my GPU drivers, and still happens.

I've done these tests with no other program in the background (web browser, etc..)

Program runs as administrator.

Hope this helps somebody, or helps ZOS look into future performance issues.