The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

About that "magic" shield when I block now...

Valorin
Valorin
✭✭✭
When I block, I now see that "magic" shield in front of me. I think it is meant as an indicator for me to see that my character is blocking at the moment, but to be honest, I don't like it. It kills off immersion big time and is a function I really don't need. The animation shows if I am blocking and I also have to keep pushing a button for that. That "magic" shield in front of me reminds me of fighting games where every move comes along with its own symbol flying somewhere around the character. In my book that's not ESO.
I would appreciate an on/off button for that big time.

Edit: The screenshot I added later in this post:
5a712d00cb.jpg
Edited by Valorin on May 2, 2016 10:43AM
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valorin wrote: »
    When I block, I now see that "magic" shield in front of me. I think it is meant as an indicator for me to see that my character is blocking at the moment, but to be honest, I don't like it. It kills off immersion big time and is a function I really don't need. The animation shows if I am blocking and I also have to keep pushing a button for that. That "magic" shield in front of me reminds me of fighting games where every move comes along with its own symbol flying somewhere around the character. In my book that's not ESO.
    I would appreciate an on/off button for that big time.

Oh, you mean this magic shield? Well, nevermind. Wrong Elder Scrolls game.

p9cbsOB.jpg
  • Valorin
    Valorin
    ✭✭✭
    That would be nice for sorcerers I guess... :D
    It's more about parrying with a greatsword and having a symbolic shield hovering in front of my character.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree... if this stays, then we should be given an option to TOGGLE it off.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's silly and needs a toggle at the very least.
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already a topic on this.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Valorin
    Valorin
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but mine was first, muhar! ;)
    Merge please?
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    could you post a screenshot of it?
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Valorin
    Valorin
    ✭✭✭
    5a712d00cb.jpg

It's always there when you block, no matter which weapon you use.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wasnt that an animation of another skill already? Theyve added the same thing to regular blocking now? If thats the case it could effect the pvp experience
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Valorin
    Valorin
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP that means you have a better confirmation when others block, yeah. But I really just don't like what it does to immersion. On/off button would be so nice.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The shield, along with many VFX, needs a toggle.
    If it was included for PvP, then people who PvP can enable it but I certainly won't.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • manavortex
      manavortex
      ✭✭✭✭
      I see why people would want this, I can also imagine situations where I'd want this, but it also kills off immersion completely.

Please include a toggle!
      Stop Zanil Theran's sinister plot to exterminate bank space! Give ESO+ subscribers a virtual Furniture Bag!
    • Twirlz
      Twirlz
      ✭✭
      The way I see it, blocking already has a well made animation. Adding yet another one is just a bit much...not to mention this addition actually breaks immersion for some of us players that are interested in such a thing. I would personally prefer that this gets a toggle feature. I can understand a magical shield...but not all players use magic. what about the warrior types? so yeah...make it a toggle please!
    • hrothbern
      hrothbern
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      For immersion's sake:
      Please ZOS, make it so that the character that is blocking can toggle the effect away for himself.
      And he does not see it himself.

That other characters can see it, especially in PVP, is a decision that makes the Block defense as visible as a Damage Shield, which is from that congruence consideration (of ZOS) acceptable for me.

Tho it is ofc a further weakening of Block.

Edited by hrothbern on May 2, 2016 11:26AM
      "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    • Recremen
      Recremen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yeah, definitely wasn't a fan of this. Some of the UI changes this patch area bit off-focus (referring specifically to the ones that can't be turned off/are a complete redesign of something minimalistic).
      Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
      Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    • Baertram
      Baertram
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I support this request!
      Please add an option to "disable", or better an option "to enable" this block shield.

It's annoying, distracting and you shouldn't just change such stuff without providing the possibilities to disable/enable it.
      Many thanks for listening to your (actual) subscribers
    • MissBizz
      MissBizz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      hrothbern wrote: »
      For immersion's sake:
      Please ZOS, make it so that the character that is blocking can toggle the effect away for himself.
      And he does not see it himself.

That other characters can see it, especially in PVP, is a decision that makes the Block defense as visible as a Damage Shield, which is from that congruence consideration (of ZOS) acceptable for me.

Tho it is ofc a further weakening of Block.

I would say treat it like they did mage light. If you toggle it off, you do not see the shield indicator on yourself or anyone else. Although of course, people with it toggled on DO see the shield indicator on you!
      Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    • Valorin
      Valorin
      ✭✭✭
      What MissBizz said.
      ESO is such a beautiful game. Even before this shield thingie I wished there were more options for customizing effects.
      This shield and effects gone wild are like marking the highlights on a beautiful painting with a neon textmarker.
      Edited by Valorin on May 3, 2016 3:33PM
    • Sethize
      Sethize
      Soul Shriven
      I agree, you should be able to toggle this off. I would like to be able to disable those floating shields for monsters as well, it always annoyed me when they block and those floating shields appear. It's somewhat unimmersive. Especially when the monster isn't even carrying a shield.
    • Ryuuki
      Ryuuki
      ✭✭
      This basically kills off block as an animation for RP. There should be an option to turn it off.

This also removes the need to learn to recognize block animations in PvP. While I am not sure it is a good change, I can see the reasoning behind the change.
    • Aleraon
      Aleraon
      ✭✭✭✭
      The thing about this is that if I'm on my tank and I'm blocking then I already have a shield. I really don't need the UI to slap another one in front of me whenever I block. Apart from being fugly it's distracting at a time when you need to be focused and there are no doubt many other visual affects firing off on screen as well.
      (EU/AD) CP501 Razum-dah - Khajiiti Templar Healer
      (EU/AD) CP501 J'Kara Silverclaw - Khajiiti Dragonknight tank
      (EU/AD) CP501 Rajhiin - Khajiiti stamina Nightblade
      (EU/AD) CP501 Draven Corvillian - Breton magicka Nightblade
      (EU/AD) CP501 Sinderian Nightflame - High Elf magicka sorcerer
      (EU/AD) CP501 J'zargo Silverclaw - Khajiit stamina Templar
      (EU/AD) CP501 Ariella Nightshade - High Elf Magicka Nightblade
      (EU/AD) CP501 Ri'shada - Khajiit Stamina Sorcerer
      (EU/AD) LVL29 Valeon Indoril - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight
      *The Queen stole this one's moonsugar candies lol*
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      While I don't like the shield that appears, it would not surprise me to find out that the reason they added it was so that you could tell when the block started, rather than waiting for the animation. It seems to me that the block animation is running just after that shield appears.
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • Valorin
      Valorin
      ✭✭✭
      I don't say it doesn't have a function. I just want the option to turn that thing off.
    • DDuke
      DDuke
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I kind of like it :D

Would be nice to get Cash Shop stuff that can alter its appearance, make my character stand out from the rest a bit more.
      Edited by DDuke on May 14, 2016 2:17PM
    • Gidorick
      Gidorick
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I completely agree that we need a toggle. I hate the damn thing.

"Block Indicator" toggle OFF

I'm actually surprised it was added without a toggle. in first person, it's pretty distracting.
      Edited by Gidorick on June 2, 2016 2:39PM
      What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
      That's right... Horse.
      Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    • yodased
      yodased
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's not for you to see you. It's for you to see other people.

This is a way to get around the perma-block I think. It was too difficult to determine if people were block cancelling or block casting when there was lag or latency, this layer shows you when other people are blocking so you know what to do against them.

I don't think this was something they added because they wanted it to be pretty
      Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
    • Ferretstalker
      Ferretstalker
      ✭✭✭
      yodased wrote: »

This is a way to get around the perma-block I think. It was too difficult to determine if people were block cancelling or block casting when there was lag or latency, this layer shows you when other people are blocking so you know what to do against them.

We could already see when others were blocking in PvE and PvP. This change merely added a shield onto our own character as well. There is no practical value to this addition.
    • Stoltverd
      Stoltverd
      ✭✭✭
      yodased wrote: »

It was already in for PvP apparently.
      Why do you need it in PvE?

Also... Can we notice this ugly bow heavy attack indicator?:
      Screenshot_20160531_200356.png

Screenshot_20160531_200402.png

Screenshot_20160531_200406.png

Screenshot_20160531_200414.png

It breaks immersion, and interrupts the VFX of the enchantment (which i rather enjoy).
      I was told it was introduced before DB. I had to stop playing like the week TG went live because of my college and my job.
      Doesn't anyone else find it ugly and unimmersive? Also... Anyone knows when was it introduced?
    • GreenSoup2HoT
      GreenSoup2HoT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      What the hell is with all these gimmicky animations?

I'm already pretty heated for the glowing green feet bullsh!t.... why could'nt the animation be an outline or even just a little UI indicator?

What's next? Every time i sprint my leg's glow rainbow colors?
      PS4 NA DC
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      What the hell is with all these gimmicky animations?

I'm already pretty heated for the glowing green feet bullsh!t.... why could'nt the animation be an outline or even just a little UI indicator?

What's next? Every time i sprint my leg's glow rainbow colors?

Please don't give them any ideas, they seem pretty good right now at fixing things that aren't broken but not fixing the things that are.
      CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    This discussion has been closed.