Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667080
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 9, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667081

Health bars and name plates are too large

nathan_bri
nathan_bri
✭✭✭✭
I posted feedback within the game, but I want to post my concerns about the way-too-large size of health bars and name plates in the PTS.

Here is an example of health bars as they are in the live game at the moment. I tend to play this way because I can see enemies lurking even in dark places. It also helps to easily identify mobs which can be pickpocket as well as guards, which have no bar above their heads.
dua0ubsgz9h1.jpg

Here is what those same health bars look like on the PTS. Notice the absurd dimensions of the health bars now. They are far more obtrusive, screaming, “LOOK AT THESE HEALTH BARS!” all over my screen. Does not feel very Elder Scrolls-ish to me. Just look how the health bars do not shrink in proportion to the smaller mobs which are farther away.
87fu9nbmmv8c.jpg

Obviously, the enlarged and more garish health bars are there to support the name plates, which are still much larger than they need to be. In fact, you could keep the health bars the way they currently are in live and set the text above smaller and in a lighter weight.
t9h3166xsrjr.jpg

Here is an imgur.com link for these same three pictures, in case the above embed links do not work properly.
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love for the health bars to remain exactly as they are in live, but them to be fixed so that they decrease in size with distance proportional to character size changes. I would also love for the name plates to use a lighter font weight and be much smaller than they are shown here. It would also be lovely if we could assign key binds for showing and hiding of both name plates and health bars.
    Edited by nathan_bri on April 28, 2016 6:05PM
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree about the health bars but the nameplates should be are fine, any smaller and you couldn't read them.
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »
    I agree about the health bars but the nameplates should be are fine, any smaller and you couldn't read them.

I think the problem there is that they are using a condensed bold font with very little letterspacing. This makes the text hard to read. If they were to use a lighter font weight and shrink the size just a little bit with a touch more letterspacing, you will probably find it even easier to read than it is now.

(I used to be a typographer and have designed typefaces, so I am sensitive to these types of things.)
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes...the health bars are a little too obtrusive now. Would be nice if there was a "size" or "opacity" setting you could to adjust them to your liking.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes...the health bars are a little too obtrusive now. Would be nice if there was a "size" or "opacity" setting you could to adjust them to your liking.

I think the option of setting a size for both bars and name plates would be a good solution. Also, on live the bars do not have a frame around them. It seems they have added a frame around the bar on PTS, similar to what you would see in WoW, but it's not really necessary. There's never been a time when I was unable to tell that a mob or player was losing health by the ratio of width to height of its health bar.

I do like your opacity suggestion as well. That way you could still see them but they could be even less obtrusive than they are on live.
    Edited by nathan_bri on April 28, 2016 6:13PM
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new health bars look great imo
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• Vidahr
    Vidahr
    ✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    The new health bars look great imo

I second this. However, an option to change their size couldn't hurt and then everyone can play how they want.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want the health bars the same way I have them on the Live server. I do not like the ones at all.
  • Jimmy562
    Jimmy562
    ✭✭
    I really like the new health bars. An option for size would be best.
  • SRIBES
    SRIBES
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alliance indicators are really big as well.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why we have to have the little health bars right over someone's head and the big one at the top the screen. I mean I know we have the little one already on live, but it would be nice it the little floating health bars toggled on and off with nameplates now that those are going in.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I love about Elder Scrolls Online is that it is so different from other MMOs.

The default setup puts almost nothing on your screen. It's just a window into a beautiful, uncluttered world. At least that's how it started out when it went live after Zeni removed the built-in minimap and such. I love it uncluttered. I will often hide nearly everything, including the chat box, just so I can be immersed while exploring and questing, even two years later.

The small health bars are the only place I draw the line and I went back and forth about them for a few weeks. I tried playing with them on and disliked how they broke immersion. Then I tried playing with them off and realized I was not seeing enemies until they were right on top of me because I like to play with my game set much darker than the default because it looks far more realistic. I conceded the point and left them on after that and I am now used to them. I have come to depend upon them for picking pockets especially and avoiding guards if I have a bounty.

I do like the idea of letting the user choose their preferred size, which would scale both the bar and the nameplate. Being able to control opacity would be nice. These controls would allow me to size them small and fade them out to the point where they provided meaningful information but did not break my immersion too much. I definitely do not like name plates, so I am glad that is already a separate option.
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also prefer the older style Health Bars. The ones on PTS are too big, too bright, and hurt my eyeballs (literally).

The nameplates are ok since I likely won't use them.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elder_III wrote: »
    I also prefer the older style Health Bars. The ones on PTS are too big, too bright, and hurt my eyeballs (literally).

The nameplates are ok since I likely won't use them.

I agree that they are too bright as well. The old ones were more muted. Perhaps the proposed opacity setting could solve that one. Or perhaps, taking a second look at the pictures, it's just that them being larger makes their opacity and color more evident and harsh.
    Edited by nathan_bri on April 28, 2016 10:47PM
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, something that's really strange and annoying is that on PTS the Health Bars are Bigger the farther way you are from the NPC/Mob. At max range it's a huge, glaring, ugly 8'+ wide bar above their head... it's frankly ridiculous looking. When you approach the NPC/MOB it slowly shrinks to approximately a 4' wide bar above their head when you're within 10' or less.

It needs to change.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.