The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Impact of change in ability cost formula on PTS gameplay

Asayre
Asayre
✭✭✭✭✭
There have been several post noting the increased cost of abilities on the PTS. I've determined the cost formula on the PTS and drawn some conclusions about the impact of the change.

The cost formula on Live is
8b4bb36f72b4eb7f31c0206663d72c98.png
The base cost is the cost at V16 with no points in Magician and without any skills or equipment that provide cost reduction. Magician is the tooltip of the Champion Point and can be replaced with Warlord for Stamina abilities. Flat Cost Reduction is typically from jewelry enchantments and Percentage Cost Reduction is from skills and passives. The denominator of Percentage Cost Reduction, which is 1.1625, is related to character level. For more information you can read a post by @Reorx_Holybeard (http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/pts-2-1-2-sorcerer-arithmagic/page/27/#post-646518).

The cost formula on PTS is
30a747a3cfe02f1a278d4d2ea284b6de.png
The base cost used for this formula is the same as that on Live.

Based on this formula, I assumed a base cost of 2500 and calculated the cost on Live and on the PTS and plotted Cost_PTS / Cost_Live for 0 flat cost reduction, 203 flat cost reduction (1 legendary enchantment) and 609 (3 legendary enchantments). A complete list of ability cost on Live can be found at http://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkills.php.

ccdb0609b9b9f815e6cd276af5540eb4.png

b2a0cffa7d7d6548d75ef41f921382ee.png

70bc6ecc0c5f0bce29334eb6d85fa634.png

From this graphs, I conclude the following:
  • Everyone will suffer a cost increase for abilities on the PTS between 5-15%. This is contrary to the patch notes claiming that most abilties will cost the same. In fact you need around 40% cost reduction for abilities on the PTS to be the same as on Live. This is not realistic as percentage cost reduction is about 20% for most players (15% from 5 pieces of Light/Medium armour and a bit more from class or racial passives). This 40% cost reduction is only achievable with 7 pieces of Light/Medium armour and Mages/Fighters guild ability.
  • Effectiveness of Magician/Warlord is the same on PTS as on Live.
  • Percentage Cost Reduction is significantly more important on PTS. This means that usage of non-dominant pool abilities (i.e. Stamina users using Magicka abilties or vice versa) are penalized heavier on the PTS. This also means Heavy Armour tanks are more severely penalized in this system. Also the cost of Molag Kena is increased substantially.
  • Cost reduction glyphs are less impactful. Again tanks are penalized to a greater degree as tanks are more likely to rely on cost reduction glyphs.

Edited by Asayre on April 27, 2016 8:53PM
Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you once again, @Asayre. It is very nice to have solid numbers backing up these claims. Hopefully things will be adjusted in the next PTS patch, and this is not ZoS' way of pushing players away from the burst meta.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • ClockworkArc
    ClockworkArc
    ✭✭✭
    On the heavy armor tanks being penalised bit.

Between the already improved numbers of Heavy Attack Restore, the new HA tenacity buff, and the significant Constitution restore amount, Heavy Armor users are gaining a lot more than they are losing. In PTS duels my heavy stamplar rarely seems to ever run out of resources. If anything the overall changes more significantly affect LA and MA users than they do the buffed HA users.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Between the already improved numbers of Heavy Attack Restore, the new HA tenacity buff, and the significant Constitution restore amount, Heavy Armor users are gaining a lot more than they are losing. In PTS duels my heavy stamplar rarely seems to ever run out of resources. If anything the overall changes more significantly affect LA and MA users than they do the buffed HA users.
    The "buffed" passive barely makes up for the missing bracing. So if you rarly block on your heavy armour pvp build, you might get buffed by the changes, but for "real" heavy armour tanks it will become noticable harder to manage ressources.
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asayre wrote: »
    There have been several post noting the increased cost of abilities on the PTS. I've determined the cost formula on the PTS and drawn some conclusions about the impact of the change.

The cost formula on Live is
    8b4bb36f72b4eb7f31c0206663d72c98.png
    The base cost is the cost at V16 with no points in Magician and without any skills or equipment that provide cost reduction. Magician is the tooltip of the Champion Point and can be replaced with Warlord for Stamina abilities. Flat Cost Reduction is typically from jewelry enchantments and Percentage Cost Reduction is from skills and passives. The denominator of Percentage Cost Reduction, which is 1.1625, is related to character level. For more information you can read a post by @Reorx_Holybeard (http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/pts-2-1-2-sorcerer-arithmagic/page/27/#post-646518).

Based on this formula, I assumed a base cost of 2500 and calculated the cost on Live and on the PTS and plotted Cost_PTS / Cost_Live for 0 flat cost reduction, 203 flat cost reduction (1 legendary enchantment) and 609 (3 legendary enchantments). A complete list of ability cost on Live can be found at http://esoitem.uesp.net/viewSkills.php.

ccdb0609b9b9f815e6cd276af5540eb4.png

b2a0cffa7d7d6548d75ef41f921382ee.png

70bc6ecc0c5f0bce29334eb6d85fa634.png

From this graphs, I conclude the following:
    • Everyone will suffer a cost increase for abilities on the PTS between 5-15%. This is contrary to the patch notes claiming that most abilties will cost the same. In fact you need around 40% cost reduction for abilities on the PTS to be the same as on Live. This is not realistic as percentage cost reduction is about 20% for most players (15% from 5 pieces of Light/Medium armour and a bit more from class or racial passives). This 40% cost reduction is only achievable with 7 pieces of Light/Medium armour and Mages/Fighters guild ability.
    • Effectiveness of Magician/Warlord is the same on PTS as on Live.
    • Percentage Cost Reduction is significantly more important on PTS. This means that usage of non-dominant pool abilities (i.e. Stamina users using Magicka abilties or vice versa) are penalized heavier on the PTS. This also means Heavy Armour tanks are more severely penalized in this system. Also the cost of Molag Kena is increased substantially.
    • Cost reduction glyphs are less impactful. Again tanks are penalized to a greater degree as tanks are more likely to rely on cost reduction glyphs.

Awesome good overview and job @Asayre :)
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's your problem. The changes to HA are good if you are dealing with a single target.

With multiple targets on you--e.g., in PvE tanking--you will definitely feel the pain of the changes.
    Edited by code65536 on April 27, 2016 9:54PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Mulcibur
    Mulcibur
    ✭✭✭
    @Wrobel @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Despite the patch notes stating that there would be almost no ability cost increase, there is a definite cost increase for all abilities even when at max level and max CP. Just over 10% base cost increase.

Could we kindly receive some feedback on this? This has a significant impact on our builds and the sets we'll run this patch.
    Edited by Mulcibur on May 31, 2016 12:41PM
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for doing the diligence on this, @Asayre

I will likely be in the minority view here, but an across-the-board cost increase in actually something the game needed. It will force players to focus more effort on resources, mitigating the all-in damage builds which dominate nearly all aspects of the game.
  • r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    r.jan_emailb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

I will likely be in the minority view here, but an across-the-board cost increase in actually something the game needed. It will force players to focus more effort on resources, mitigating the all-in damage builds which dominate nearly all aspects of the game.

I agree.

But I also need something that sends me a notification every time @Asayre makes one of those great posts :smiley:
    Lairgren | DC Dragonknight - August Palatine
    playing for eXile

I'm done, CU somewhere else.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So without any cost reduction skill on PTS actually cost 10,8% more than the tooltip value?
    Or has the tooltip value of skills been increased by 10,8% as well?

Maybe Im seeing this a bit simplified but how hard can it be to correctly calculate cost reduction?

Ability cost = ( Base - value reduction ) * ( 1 - percentage reduction )

value reduction = sum of reduced cost jewelry enchants.
    percentage reduction = sum of Magican, passives and sets.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So without any cost reduction skill on PTS actually cost 10,8% more than the tooltip value?

Maybe Im seeing this a bit simplified but how hard can it be to correctly calculate cost reduction?

Ability cost = ( Base - value reduction ) * ( 1 - percentage reduction )

value reduction = sum of reduced cost jewelry enchants.
    percentage reduction = sum of Magican, passives and sets.

the problem with this, is that percentage based reduction would get significantly stronger with CP.

this of this made up example with numbers that are easy to calculate:

skill cost: 1000
    precentage-based reduction: 10%

case a) 0CP
    skill costs: 1000 vs 900
    --> skill costs 10% less with the percentage-based reduction active

base b) 25% reduction through CP:
    skill costs: 750 vs 650
    --> skill costs 13.3% less with the percentage-based reduction active

doesn't soudn too terrible but assume you could stack 50% reduction from items (think of light armor passive + seducer + worm + your-next-spell-costs-$x-less)

then we'd be looking at 1000->500 vs 750->250

basically, the complicated *** is ZOS' shot at counter balancing stacking certain things with CP effects
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Mulcibur

Wrobel has commented on the increase in ability cost at https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/267979/dark-brotherhood-sorcerer-q-a

Here is the section that you are looking for
    Wrobel wrote: »
    Minalan wrote: »
    Magicka Costs Increasing: Can you please look into this? I understand that this is happening to every class across the board, but with the costs of everything going up, this change is adding insult to injury. And there is already plenty of injury here, and that's being as polite about this patch as I am realistically able.
    With the removal of Veteran Ranks we wanted ability costs to increase in a more reliable and understandable way. Veteran Ranks used a different calculation for ability cost increase from the level 1-50 experience. With this change, abilities now continue to increase their costs at the same linear pace. This also means cost reduction passives and gear should now return the values listed in the tooltips instead of using a more complex formula.
    There are quite a few builds that generate a large number of resources and we expect some players will end up changing their current setup. While costs are higher, note that you can now get increased resource returns from heavy attacks that now scale their return as you gain Champion Points. Additionally, enchantments are now more powerful and restore more resources than they used to. There are also poisons which give you additional options for getting more resources.

@Septimus_Magna

The base tooltip of skills has increased by 10.8% compared to Live. The tooltips on DB are correct. Base refers to when you are naked without any skills/passive/CP.

I believe @Kas answered your second question quite well. They want CP cost reduction and Skill cost reduction to be multiplicative presumably to limit the power of each.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asayre, so would you recommend then magicka recovery glyphs on jewelry now instead of spell cost reduction glyphs on my jewelry?
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, this coupled with increasing blocking costs = heavy armour in PvP GG. Ty ZOS. Now I will join the horde of medium armour stamina shuffle dodge roll monkey builds......
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @flguy147ub17_ESO, in PvE spell cost reduction glyphs are still better than magicka recovery glyphs.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @flguy147ub17_ESO, in PvE spell cost reduction glyphs are still better than magicka recovery glyphs.

Thanks, i am more of a PVP player so things maybe different in that situation. But you are much smarter than me on this stuff lol
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

Your not alone. I'm actually thinking about ways to position better in pvp to give myself better moments to rest my magicka bar/stamina. If we can get used to this, I think PvP will be fine and PvE will have to gauge burst/sustain dps mechanics to use for each situation.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Blevil
    Blevil
    ✭✭✭
    @Asayre do you have a formula of calculating how much magicka recovery needed to equal 1% spell cost reduction?

or are the two equal meaning 100 in cost reduction = 100 magicka recovery?
    |--| /-\ \/\/ /-\ | | `"*-.,
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blevil wrote: »
    @Asayre do you have a formula of calculating how much magicka recovery needed to equal 1% spell cost reduction?

or are the two equal meaning 100 in cost reduction = 100 magicka recovery?

It all really depends on how often you are casting spells. If you're like a typical DPS and casting things as fast as you can and have Magicka/Stamina for then you're going to need a lot of recovery to equal cost reduction.

On the other side, if you're a tank build that doesn't cast too often then recovery might be better.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!