The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Nos's "Firestarter" MagBlade Build (HotR DLC ready)

• DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    So you're using Scalding Rune? I really like that skill but only ~ 2% damage from the DoT... even after they buffed it. And why are you using Force Pulse over Strife / Funnel Health?

Great work!

Force Pulse does more damage than Strife, and is not as buggy to weave with.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    So you're using Scalding Rune? I really like that skill but only ~ 2% damage from the DoT... even after they buffed it. And why are you using Force Pulse over Strife / Funnel Health?

Great work!

Scalding damage is mot amazing by any means, but it hits harder than force pulse and is aoe. Also its another source of ticking damage that can proc ilambris.

Force Pulse is the main spammable, because it does more damage than strife.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I was checking out one of those @asarye posts and he was showing willpower jewelry was still marginally better on magic templars and magic NightBlade. I think it's because of the use of class executes, but I get lost in the math. I saw the parse you post and it does show quite a bit of your damage comes from the impale. Have you tried willpowers?

Issue with it is that while Minor slayer is not great with Impale, it is great with everything else you do. Additionally infal on jewelry allows you to run infal staff, giving you more spell damage.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed the newest test you did was on the test skeleton. I read slayer doesn't work on it yet.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/312385/minor-slayer-target-skeletons

They might have fixed it by now I don't know. I was also looking at your older DPS metric from September and impale did quite a lot more damage than on new one. I've no idea what gear were running then, but twisting path is doing a bit more now. Well everything is really. Not sure if that's from better gear or PTS vs Bloodspawn.

I'm trying to get better on my magic toons, but I'm stuck around the 18k DPS high side and 13k being sloppy. On console we just time the test and divide.

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I noticed the newest test you did was on the test skeleton. I read slayer doesn't work on it yet.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/312385/minor-slayer-target-skeletons

They might have fixed it by now I don't know. I was also looking at your older DPS metric from September and impale did quite a lot more damage than on new one. I've no idea what gear were running then, but twisting path is doing a bit more now. Well everything is really. Not sure if that's from better gear or PTS vs Bloodspawn.

I'm trying to get better on my magic toons, but I'm stuck around the 18k DPS high side and 13k being sloppy. On console we just time the test and divide.

Hey, they have foxed mibor slayer with skeleton, so its all good. Impale did more % of my dps because rotation was different. They buffed Twisting path significantly, to the point where its damage overall is very near blockade overall damage. Magicka is very fun to play, its much more vareied than stam in terms of rotations.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to check in and thank Nos for his testing and research. Also, Nos, that video that you posted on tamrielfoundry - add it to the guide (both here and on tamrielfoundry). I think it's very insightful and helpful.

Here's what I got with almost the same build:

http://imgur.com/a/WHlpW

I used trap every back bar here and both my rearming trap and thunderous rage are rank I. Also, my back bar staff is just a random lightning staff = I didn't have the infal set bonus there.

I yet need to go back to medium weave, which I stopped doing a couple of months ago. And possibly polish that part with a trap, looks like I can drop it less often = save a GCD here and there for another pulse.

p.s. I want to mention one more thing and ask you guys if you can help me with this or if you're having the same trouble. I can't do Rune-weave-path-weave-merciless resolve. If I try - after dropping the first rune (autocast) I immediately get the yellow circle again so when I try to weave path, I drop one more rune. However, if I do it in any other order - it works just fine. That is: Merciless-path-rune or path-rune-merci etc. - any combination where the rune doesn't come first.
    Edited by Artis on February 18, 2017 7:48PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »
    I just wanted to check in and thank Nos for his testing and research. Also, Nos, that video that you posted on tamrielfoundry - add to the guide (both here and on tamrielfoundry). I think it's very insightful and helpful.

Here's what I got with almost the same build:

http://imgur.com/a/WHlpW

I used trap every back bar here and both my rearming trap and thunderous rage are rank I. Also, my back bar staff is just a random lightning staff = I didn't have the infal set bonus there.

I yet need to go back to medium weave, which I stopped doing a couple of months ago. And possibly polish that part with a trap, looks like I can drop it less often = save a GCD here and there for another pulse.

p.s. I want to mention one more thing and ask you guys if you can help me with this or if you're having the same trouble. I can't do Rune-weave-path-weave-merciless resolve. If I try - after dropping the first rune (autocast) I immediately get the yellow circle again so when I try to weave path, I drop one more rune. However, if I do it in any other order - it works just fine. That is: Merciless-path-rune or path-rune-merci etc. - any combination where the rune doesn't come first.

Thanks Artis! Also possibly no medium weaving anymore for any classes...apparently it takes off he off-balance effect...need to confirm though...not sure about rune, bit we can practice together so i can see what you are doing.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill add the video too
  • oryxnamder7
    oryxnamder7
    ✭✭
    Hey Nos thanks for this build

Could comment a bit more about when you Medium weave vs Light Attack weave?

Cheers
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Nos thanks for this build

Could comment a bit more about when you Medium weave vs Light Attack weave?

Cheers

Hey sorry, i corrected that mistakes, it is all light weaves
  • Jorotarr
    Jorotarr
    ✭✭
    What addon are you using for the buff timer on your spell bar? I have a buff/debuff tracker, but I like what you're using much better.
    I like how it keeps both bars up. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping uptime on things. Thanks!
    Edited by Jorotarr on April 30, 2017 2:33PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joromarr wrote: »
    What addon are you using for the buff timer on your spell bar? I have a buff/debuff tracker, but I like what you're using much better.
    I like how it keeps both bars up. Sometimes I have a hard time keeping uptime on things. Thanks!

Action duration reminder
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for Morrowind DLC
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    montiferus wrote: »
    Thanks for your insightful builds. Much appreciated. A quick question. I noticed you don't put any points into Spell Erosion. Do you feel the additional penetration is not worth it?

When looking at Asyare's posts on CP distribution it seems like there is some value in spell penetration. Have you tested your build with different CP setups to see if there is a significant difference? Perhaps in a trial situation there is so much stripping its irrelevant?

Thanks for reading! Your last sentence pretty much sums it up, but its also true for most 4 man content.
    Resistance of mobs is around 18200.

Pierce armor from tank - 5280
    Lught Armor passive - 4884
    Base - 100
    Sharpened - 5160
    Infused Crusher enchant - 1940
    Total = 17264
    Difference is 836.

Now if you have a stamplar in group hos PotL penetrates further by 1320 putting you in over penetration territory. And all of this is without alkosh.

So do trials mobs have higher def or is alkosh useless?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    montiferus wrote: »
    Thanks for your insightful builds. Much appreciated. A quick question. I noticed you don't put any points into Spell Erosion. Do you feel the additional penetration is not worth it?

When looking at Asyare's posts on CP distribution it seems like there is some value in spell penetration. Have you tested your build with different CP setups to see if there is a significant difference? Perhaps in a trial situation there is so much stripping its irrelevant?

Thanks for reading! Your last sentence pretty much sums it up, but its also true for most 4 man content.
    Resistance of mobs is around 18200.

Pierce armor from tank - 5280
    Lught Armor passive - 4884
    Base - 100
    Sharpened - 5160
    Infused Crusher enchant - 1940
    Total = 17264
    Difference is 836.

Now if you have a stamplar in group hos PotL penetrates further by 1320 putting you in over penetration territory. And all of this is without alkosh.

So do trials mobs have higher def or is alkosh useless?

All the trial mobs have 18200 resistance. Alkosh doesnt help magicka much because we are almost at max pen. The reason we are at max pen is because of sharpened weapons, so if we were to go another route, we would need Alkosh and points into spell erosion.
  • DemonDruaga
    DemonDruaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    So with an alkosh tank and some points into erosion it would be possible to make use of a nirnhoned vmsa inferno? It's the only one i got besides douzens of infused and charged ones
    Ardor // Dunkelsicht // Pakt
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So with an alkosh tank and some points into erosion it would be possible to make use of a nirnhoned vmsa inferno? It's the only one i got besides douzens of infused and charged ones

Yes, however ill let you thibk about this - we had a 160k vMoL score last patch with 36/36 vitality, so we arent scrubs, and yet our alkosh time variea between 40 and 60%. I guess what I am trying to say is I wouldnt rwly on it at all...maybe groups like Hodor have 80% (idk) but expecting much more than a 50-60% is very idealistic imho. I would just stick with sharpened ubless you are a templar.
  • Capt_Morgan
    Capt_Morgan
    ✭✭✭
    What does self buff parse on this look like after Morrowind? Trying to get an idea where I'm at and how much I need to improve with mine.
    MagBlade main since early Access. Long live the warlock.
    PC/NA
    @CAPT_Morgan
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does self buff parse on this look like after Morrowind? Trying to get an idea where I'm at and how much I need to improve with mine.

Im not the best at parsing but 35-36k is fairly easy. Should be better if you are good.
  • Capt_Morgan
    Capt_Morgan
    ✭✭✭

Im not the best at parsing but 35-36k is fairly easy. Should be better if you are good.

Can you post a video on a skeleton for after morrowind of this?
    PC/NA
    @CAPT_Morgan
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think it's possible to do that without vMA?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think it's possible to do that without vMA?

Umm possibly...have to be very good though.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think there is any chance that on a nighblade, the IA might be a hair better than Moondancer? I know people were making that argument last patch. I really need to get my mageblade on for a few weeks.
  • Capt_Morgan
    Capt_Morgan
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to add an extra 1k to my dps swapping cripple and impale, as well as soul harvest and meteor. Having impale on fire staff gives it an extra 8% buff from tri focus passive as well as losing less dps when you slot the shield instead of inner light on back bar. Swapping ults allowed me to more easily use soul harvest during execute as well which gave the biggest bump I believe.
    PC/NA
    @CAPT_Morgan
  • Capt_Morgan
    Capt_Morgan
    ✭✭✭
    I was able to add an extra 1k to my dps swapping cripple and impale, as well as soul harvest and meteor. Having impale on fire staff gives it an extra 8% buff from tri focus passive as well as losing less dps when you slot the shield instead of inner light on back bar. Swapping ults allowed me to more easily use soul harvest during execute as well which gave the biggest bump I believe.

36.2k on 3mil dummy using blue food and doing two well timed heavies right before going into execute. Barely managed to sustain, took a dozen tries before getting right.

35.5k with witch mothers brew, but no need to heavy attack and sustain was much more comfortable.
    PC/NA
    @CAPT_Morgan
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think there is any chance that on a nighblade, the IA might be a hair better than Moondancer? I know people were making that argument last patch. I really need to get my mageblade on for a few weeks.

Doubtful but i can test since i have a sharp infal lightning and the jewelry
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

36.2k on 3mil dummy using blue food and doing two well timed heavies right before going into execute. Barely managed to sustain, took a dozen tries before getting right.

35.5k with witch mothers brew, but no need to heavy attack and sustain was much more comfortable.

Ill try to record a parse tonight. Ill try your suggestion rwgarding inpale on front, but assasins will hits a lot higher than impale because it isnt screwed by the changes like impale is, so it may be a dps loss.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also just reread this...if yoi have both cripple and siphoning on same bar you are losing your 8% magicka passive on fro t bar which is a big nono...did i misread your comments?
  • Capt_Morgan
    Capt_Morgan
    ✭✭✭

Also just reread this...if yoi have both cripple and siphoning on same bar you are losing your 8% magicka passive on fro t bar which is a big nono...did i misread your comments?

When you do that, swap swallow soul for force pulse. Force pulse and swallow soul have minor differences in single target fights, though force pulse is better with cleave because of its chain. The trade off though is being able to get that flame staff boost for impale and in my tests so far has outwayed the loss of dropping FP as well as helping a lot with sustain since swallow soul is so cheap. Can even go funnel health to give some extra hps to group, which can be useful sometimes. Try it out though, let me know what you find.
    PC/NA
    @CAPT_Morgan
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do that, swap swallow soul for force pulse. Force pulse and swallow soul have minor differences in single target fights, though force pulse is better with cleave because of its chain. The trade off though is being able to get that flame staff boost for impale and in my tests so far has outwayed the loss of dropping FP as well as helping a lot with sustain since swallow soul is so cheap. Can even go funnel health to give some extra hps to group, which can be useful sometimes. Try it out though, let me know what you find.

Yeah i totally forgot about funnel, i use it in my setup...just had a brain fart lol...ill give it a a go