The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Nos's "Firestarter" MagBlade Build (HotR DLC ready)

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vorcil wrote: »
    What do you think about duel wield for laceration/rend ultimate on backbar?

Love this build; my gear isn't ready yet, but definitely seen improvement in dps (don't have groth shoulders, or gold twice born star, just using gold julianos)

Hey, those are stam ultimates, and thus wouldnt be as good on a magicka build. There are other options im testing at the moment, which seem promising:)
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Checking back to see if this build still relevant. I have much trouble weaving in with Lightning staff. Been toying with Dropping the Monster set and going TBS/Aether. Everything always changes situationally for me it seems. Maybe some things have changed since One T? I have Scathing and BSW sets also, have no idea what's best though.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    Checking back to see if this build still relevant. I have much trouble weaving in with Lightning staff. Been toying with Dropping the Monster set and going TBS/Aether. Everything always changes situationally for me it seems. Maybe some things have changed since One T? I have Scathing and BSW sets also, have no idea what's best though.

BSW is edging away the other sets. This build is still very much viable, but Magblades in general are at a worse place than other classes. Competitive DPS is by no means impossible, but a lot easier on other classes.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people were saying that Scathing is better - it's uptime is higher because Path procs it. Did you do any testing by any chance? I still can't get some pieces.

• hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »
    A lot of people were saying that Scathing is better - it's uptime is higher because Path procs it. Did you do any testing by any chance? I still can't get some pieces.

BSW>Scathing from my testing last night, also I think EU players tend to agree with me and since they are blowing away NA naysayers I tend to think Im right:)
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EU players tend to agree with me and since they are blowing away NA naysayers I tend to think Im right:)

Where is this action happening? :)
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated for Homestead DLC
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that I have all possible Illambris pieces, I believe. Dropping the keys in hopes to get Grothdarr, I got Illambris :) The bad news is that I did have that lightning staff but gave it to Fire, cause I never thought I would need it, since I'm not playing a sorc.

Oh well.

How can one replace that lightning staff? DW like now? Or a random lightning staff would be better?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that I have all possible Illambris pieces, I believe. Dropping the keys in hopes to get Grothdarr, I got Illambris :) The bad news is that I did have that lightning staff but gave it to Fire, cause I never thought I would need it, since I'm not playing a sorc.

Oh well.

How can one replace that lightning staff? DW like now? Or a random lightning staff would be better?

Random lightning would work just fine:)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you not firing the spectral bow proc from merciless in the new rotation?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am, but only every other back bar. I find it to be a DPS loss in fully buffed trials. Only reason I keep merciless at all is because of the Minor Berserk, since at range I cant always count on healers keeping it on me.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am, but only every other back bar. I find it to be a DPS loss in fully buffed trials. Only reason I keep merciless at all is because of the Minor Berserk, since at range I cant always count on healers keeping it on me.

I think merciless is the number one reason that mageblades struggle in Raids. It is supposed to be this great DPS tool, but Merciless is essentially redundant with combat prayer, and the spectral bow proc requires two globals.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 1, 2017 5:49PM
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know enough to tell any of you guys anything, but maybe you could use trap beast for to get minor force.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think merciless is the number one reason that mageblades struggle in Raids. It is supposed to be this great DPS tool, but Merciless is essentially redundant with combat prayer, and the spectral bow proc requires two globals.

More than that is the fact that on a dunmer nightblade with engulfing on target Force Pulse averages more dps (if you divide the average assasins will proc by 2) than Assasins will....
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    I don't know enough to tell any of you guys anything, but maybe you could use trap beast for to get minor force.

Trap would work, but i made this as a pure range build ill play around with it though.
  • Quaesivi
    Quaesivi
    ✭✭✭
    Why Ilambris and not Valkyn? Or is it just for trials since stuff is more stationary in comparison?
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aenthel wrote: »
    Why Ilambris and not Valkyn? Or is it just for trials since stuff is more stationary in comparison?

Yeah i found ilambris to hit harder. I just have to test Shock clench vs Scalding to see the ilambris uptime.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one more thing. If you use it every other buy and renew Scalding rune every other bar (which is what you do, I believe, can't check duration right now, not home) - then you will empower Assasin's Will proc after dropping the rune. The only thing - I'm not sure whether it's worth skipping a weapon attack or it's better to just weave an attack in between the rune and will.
    Edited by Artis on February 2, 2017 2:53PM
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's one more thing. If you use it every other buy and renew Scalding rune every other bar (which is what you do, I believe, can't check duration right now, not home) - then you will empower Assasin's Will proc after dropping the rune. The only thing - I'm not sure whether it's worth skipping a weapon attack or it's better to just weave an attack in between the rune and will.

Thats a good point Artis ill test with and without. Only issue is id like to proc the weapon enchant, but since it only has a 20% proc chance i may lose the proc chance of I dont weave after rune. Ill try both ways tho.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm curious, what have you tested in lieu of Scalding Rune? I'm showing it to still be pretty lackluster in this update, but curious to see what you've dug up. Thanks
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is funny, I've been using Illambris on my mNB since OT - and everyone was always stating that it's bad for NBs o:)
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this. I'm curious, what have you tested in lieu of Scalding Rune? I'm showing it to still be pretty lackluster in this update, but curious to see what you've dug up. Thanks

Hey Scalding is still weak. It hits for maybe 1.5 x Force Pulse, BUT there are several indirect benefits. It is an AoE which makes it hit harder than Frags on 2+ enemies and it increases proc monster set uptime.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DPShiro wrote: »
    This is funny, I've been using Illambris on my mNB since OT - and everyone was always stating that it's bad for NBs o:)

On live I have gotten better results with Skoria than with illambris, not so much with the changes coming in Homestead.
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My best selfbuffed on the PTS so far - http://imgur.com/a/tLpDy
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My best selfbuffed on the PTS so far - http://imgur.com/a/tLpDy

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll take another look at it too. :)

I give you an "awesome" for this one. It's well done and I appreciate you sharing it. +1
    Edited by Autolycus on February 3, 2017 5:34PM
  • fatemoe
    fatemoe
    Which cripple morph do you use?

You only mentioned cripple in bar 1
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatemoe wrote: »
    Which cripple morph do you use?

You only mentioned cripple in bar 1

Crippling Grasp
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Added a CP variant courtesy of @VosTelvannis
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you're using Scalding Rune? I really like that skill but only ~ 2% damage from the DoT... even after they buffed it. And why are you using Force Pulse over Strife / Funnel Health?

Great work!
    Edited by Seraphayel on February 4, 2017 12:12PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was checking out one of those @asarye posts and he was showing willpower jewelry was still marginally better on magic templars and magic NightBlade. I think it's because of the use of class executes, but I get lost in the math. I saw the parse you post and it does show quite a bit of your damage comes from the impale. Have you tried willpowers?