The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is IC a PvP Update?

• zZzleepyhead
    zZzleepyhead
    ✭✭✭
    No, an update with no PvP objectives and only PvE objectives can't be considered a PvP Update.
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    I get the argument of no pvp objectives sure, but....

1. Can you kill enemy players? Yes
    2. Is the zone in a pvp zone? Yes
    3. Can you loot enemy bodies? Yes (stones)
    4. Can you gank weak pve'ers who don't know how to pvp? Yes

If it only counts as pvp when there are objectives then everything I did in Age of Conan wasn't pvp and yet...it was?

They should add pvp objectives, but yes imo it's still a PVP expansion. It's a shame they didn't add objectives tho, on that I agree.

You can make noises with a mayo jar, that still doesn't make it an instrument (in realistic terms). IC is just an extension of Cyrodiil that presented a different environment. Nothing changed. That isn't an "UPDATE".

edit: ANNNND IC was already [?near?] finished by the games initial launch and was held back JUST so they could sell it as console DLC. ZOS has also explicitly stated that it WASN'T INTENDED AS A PVP UPDATE, BUT A PVE UPDATE.
    Edited by zZzleepyhead on April 1, 2016 8:49PM
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    People losing their stones isnt what keeps people away from IC @jamesharv2005ub17_ESO . PVP players have nothing to fight for. PVE players dont like to fight for anything after they been beat down enough. There just isnt a pull to get anything here. People go there in very limited amounts. And half of the DLC is worthless (districts).
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, any update where you can kill other players constitutes a PvP update.
    FENGRUSH wrote: »
    People losing their stones isnt what keeps people away from IC @jamesharv2005ub17_ESO . PVP players have nothing to fight for. PVE players dont like to fight for anything after they been beat down enough. There just isnt a pull to get anything here. People go there in very limited amounts. And half of the DLC is worthless (districts).

It is certainly what kept me and my friends away from it. I left the whole game until orsinium came out. Just didnt like the idea at all of being looted for the stones.
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, an update with no PvP objectives and only PvE objectives can't be considered a PvP Update.

It is certainly what kept me and my friends away from it. I left the whole game until orsinium came out. Just didnt like the idea at all of being looted for the stones.

This is a serious question, how much have you/do you PvP?
    Aldonius Direnni - Vet Altmer Sorc (AD)
    Tyrus Telvanni - Vet Dunmer DK (AD)
    Al Donius Bundy - Vet Imperial NB (AD)
    Aldonius Brutus - Vet Orc DK (DC)
  • Ichnaea
    Ichnaea
    ✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    Calling IC a PvP update is like calling Cracked Wood Cave a PvP objective.

Finally! Thank you!

IC is an INSTANCED area, and it contributes NOTHING to the campaign it is on. Because of this, it might as well just be something you queue for, and take it off the map...it means nothing.
    Edited by Ichnaea on April 1, 2016 11:20PM
    AD
    Mishi - V16 Wood Elf Nightblade
    Zach Vane - V16 Imperial Nightblade
    Clara Bonny - V16 Breton Templar
    Sherman Bradley - V16 Imperial Templar
    One Knight Standard - V16 Imperial Dragonknight
    Unemployed Merlin - V16 High Elf Sorcerer
    Ice Hinged Mice Elf - V16 Dunmer Dragonknight
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Brian Wheeler referred to IC as a PvE zone, so.... /endthread.
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »

But... But... They totally advertised it as a PvP update, so /endthread xD
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Etaniel wrote: »
    Xsorus wrote: »
    Darkness Falls worked the same way as IC...it is a PvP update

Except that to open df you had to capture PvP objectives. So the zone itself was reward for doing PvP. There's only one campaign where that's the case here, and the dungeons can be reached without having access to the zone, so no, it's not a PvP update here. DF was miles ahead of this dlc

While this is true; the actual entrance into DF was in the actual safe zone of the game.. Therefor you'd have nothing but pve players who didn't actually pvp enter into the dungeon.

While I prefer daocs method of controlling access IC is an actual pvp update.
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *To get gear you need Tel var stones, TV stones originate by doing PvE!
    *To open vaults for gear or Xivkyn motif you need to PvE!
    *New quest line- PvE!
    *White-Gold Tower and Imperial City Prison group dungeons- PvE!
    *No PvP objectives!
    *Only PvP thing is possibility to kill enemy players!

It's a PvE update with PvP within it. There are more things to do as a PvE player, all rewards, costumes, skins are tied to PvE.
    Without someone farming TV stones PvP players can't even get new items.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lettigall wrote: »
    *New quest line- PvE!
    *No PvP objectives!

It's a PvE update with PvP within it. There are more things to do as a PvE player, all rewards, costumes, skins are tied to PvE.

Umm you dont have to do the quests and you can loot the stones from other players. So what you are saying is not entirely factual. So let me ask you guys would you be ok with them turning PVP off in IC considering you guys hate it and its not a PVP update anyways?
    Edited by jamesharv2005ub17_ESO on April 2, 2016 8:34AM
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That is fine - you dont speak for the majority. Theres been plenty of PVE players in IC, theyve made up the majority of the population in that DLC. They traveled in such large crowds they all couldnt even get loot. But they continued to do what they do because eventually they would get the gear they came there for.

That is all IC had as a pull - gear limited through tel var stones. It needs repeatable resources beyond what it offers today and beyond what is offered anywhere else. Districts need to be finished and made into something unique. Districts being unfinished is what makes this the least bit of a PVP DLC.

You could enable open pvp in Orsinium, slap a currency on every mob in the zone that is lootable from players, and it would be as much of a PVP DLC as IC is right now. This is poor design and use of content that they poured years into that is begging for good use. Oh well.
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *New quest line- PvE!
    *No PvP objectives!

Umm you dont have to do the quests and you can loot the stones from other players. So what you are saying is not entirely factual. So let me ask you guys would you be ok with them turning PVP off in IC considering you guys hate it and its not a PVP update anyways?

Tel Var stones comes from killing NPCs and doing daily quests, someone needs to do PvE for TV stones to appear. PvPers get only second hand TV stones! Two players can kill each other all day and won't get a single TV stone until one of them do some PvE!

And I would better see IC become PvP update by making PvP objectives, conquerable districts and with PvP rewards.

Edit: Typo.
    Edited by Lettigall on April 2, 2016 1:12PM
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That is fine - you dont speak for the majority. Theres been plenty of PVE players in IC, theyve made up the majority of the population in that DLC. They traveled in such large crowds they all couldnt even get loot. But they continued to do what they do because eventually they would get the gear they came there for.

That is all IC had as a pull - gear limited through tel var stones. It needs repeatable resources beyond what it offers today and beyond what is offered anywhere else. Districts need to be finished and made into something unique. Districts being unfinished is what makes this the least bit of a PVP DLC.

You could enable open pvp in Orsinium, slap a currency on every mob in the zone that is lootable from players, and it would be as much of a PVP DLC as IC is right now. This is poor design and use of content that they poured years into that is begging for good use. Oh well.

I never said I spoke for anyone but me and a couple real life friends.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    *New quest line- PvE!
    *No PvP objectives!

Tel Var stones comes from killing NPCs and doing daily quests, someone needs to do PvE for TV stones to appear. PvPers get only second hand TV stones! Two players can kill each other all day and won't a single TV stone until one of them do some PvE!

And I would better see IC become PvP update by making PvP objectives, conquerable districts and with PvP rewards.

I wonder if this new arena system will be based in IC? Could be a solution to getting people to go there. To access the arenas you have to complete some kind of thing in the districts to unlock them for your faction. Something like that.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    IC a PvP update?

giphy.gif
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious choice "hybrid" is missing from the vote. Was it too hard to look ZOS pages about the DLC?
    At level 10, enter a sprawling PvP/PvE space, including the six Imperial City Districts
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this mentioned a few times in various threads now, so i'll clarify some here. Imperial City is meant for the PVP player - it's their turn for some love. If you love PVE and are clamoring for more of that type of content, the Orsinium DLC will be exactly what you want. - Rich Lambert
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen this mentioned a few times in various threads now, so i'll clarify some here. Imperial City is meant for the PVP player - it's their turn for some love. If you love PVE and are clamoring for more of that type of content, the Orsinium DLC will be exactly what you want. - Rich Lambert

That quote is a perfect illustration of how out of touch Zose is with ESO's PvP community.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Skyy
    Skyy
    ✭✭✭
    I said yes, but it's only a PvP zone in the sense that Cyrodiil is a PvE zone. Sure you can fight people and get telvars, but the main point of the zone is PvE.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is a quote from the early development stages of IC. I don't even think it had hit the PTS yet at this point.

But then they did what they always do and catered to the casual PvE crowd and called it a day.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »

This is a quote from the early development stages of IC. I don't even think it had hit the PTS yet at this point.

But then they did what they always do and catered to the casual PvE crowd and called it a day.

You're not going to be able to talk him out of it.

Since they "advertised" it as a PVP update, the changes they made to remove all pvp elements are irrelevant to certain people.
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People keep talking about TV stones, but what most people are in IC for is for trophies, and you can't loot those off enemy players.

Can a PURE PvP player get the Willpower/Agility/Endurance sets? No.

Edit: I can't remember if you can get those sets from TV bags, but let's be realistic: if you're going for those sets, the most efficient way is PvE grinding.
    Edited by RadioheadSh0t on April 2, 2016 10:48PM
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poxheart wrote: »

That quote is a perfect illustration of how out of touch Zose is with ESO's PvP community.

If IC is their idea of "showing PvP some love," then it's no wonder PvP is where it is.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »

They have always sold it as a pvp addon. Even cyrodill has mobs in it. I was in IC today because I renewed my plus membership. Ran around killed a few people got about 1000 or so stones. You guys saying noone is there is hardly the truth. Were lots of people there on the CP campaign NA server. There were some quests I did ya but they were kinda boring. I dont see also how a casual pve person would like it. The mobs are rather tough and abundant. Far more difficult than overland cyrodill.
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^ This dude is paddling up denial river.

Obama-LOL-Funny-LOL-Laugh-Laughing-Hilarious-Thats-Funny-So-Funny-Hihi-HAHA-Obama-Obama-Laugh-Obama-Laughing-GIF.gif?gs=a
    Edited by OdinForge on April 3, 2016 12:06AM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've made around 35k stones so far from this patch just doing IC pvp

Edited by Xsorus on April 3, 2016 1:13AM
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »
    I've made around 35k stones so far from this patch just doing IC pvp

Killing PVE players.

I understand that there are people who think just being able to kill people constitutes a PvP update, but clearly the vast majority of PvPers disagree.

Give the districts PvP objectives, remove NPCs, and don't touch the sewers, and *bam* it's a PvP update, in my opinion.
    helediron wrote: »
    The obvious choice "hybrid" is missing from the vote. Was it too hard to look ZOS pages about the DLC?
    At level 10, enter a sprawling PvP/PvE space, including the six Imperial City Districts

A third option would inevitably mean I'd have to add a fourth to balance the options.

To clarify, I do not believe a PvE zone with PvP enabled constitutes a PvP update, and if you consider it a PvE/PvP zone, then you obviously would vote "Yes" anyways, as you did.

A PvP update is an update that pits PvP-minded players against each other over an objective. Ganking PvE players in the sewers is fine, and I've spent plenty of time down there, but it is not PvP in design. To be considered "PvP" requires more than just players being able to kill each other, it means creating mechanics and systems to force them together. Sure, there is PvE in Cyrodiil, but it's on the sides of the map and doesn't interfere with PvP and isn't connected to the Alliance War in any way. Cyrodiil is a PvP zone because it has objectives for PvP-minded players to fight over.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know that the "vast majority" of the people who pvp have posted here.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    Rich Lambert said Imperial City is meant for PvPers and pure PvEers can take a hike, so... /fucklogic.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another poll without an "OTHER" option, so not voting.

I would be somewhere in the middle. As IC is located in Cyrodiil, and caters mainly to those who enjoy PvP, I would say "yes it is a PvP update". But since a lot of the content is PvE I would say it isn't strictly PvP. So I would conclude that it us a mix.

But compared to the other DLCs so far (Wrothgar/TG), which have added whole new PvE zones, I would go back to my original "Yes IC is a PvP update" - but on its own, and from an objective stand, no.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar