The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

tanks are needed in vet dungeons?

Hauztein
Hauztein
✭✭✭
Tanks are really needed or 3 dps and a healer can do everything?
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the skill of the players? Are 4 people needed for vet dungeons? Can 4 healers do everything? 3 tanks 1 dps? Tomorrow is taco Tuesday. :smiley:
    Options
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt you can do vICP/vWGT w/o a tank. Maybe with the right builds?
    Some of them are super easy w/o a tank.
    Options
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the dungeon and the players, really. Vague and not the not answer you were after, I know.
    Options
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    Anything is possible. I've ran vicp and vwgt with 4dps was a lot fun and definitely a challenge.
    Options
  • Steel_Brightblade
    Steel_Brightblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    A tank isn't needed for quite a few dungeons but the only dungeon where I find a dps more preferable to a tank is dark shade. All others having a tank is a nice bonus. Also for pug groups where communication, player skill and gear can vary wildly a tank can make an huge difference.
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt you can do vICP/vWGT w/o a tank. Maybe with the right builds?
    Some of them are super easy w/o a tank.

Best VWGT with three DPS. I won't pretend that Kena didn't hit hard though.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ....... This brings a tear to my heart..... Is this really what tanks are at now ? This bad of a spot ? I know people been saying "oh don't need a tank" but to actually say not needed even for VWGT ..... ZOS U10 with the HA and or tank buffs better be game changing.
    Options
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tanks are probably only needed in trials nowadays but that can vary depending on player skill and communication. I hated doing most dungeons without a tank though because 9/10 times I get jumped by all the adds and it really bites.
    Argonian forever
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have 4 Sorcs and everyone is using two pets then you don't need a Tank or a Healer for most of them, the pets do most of the work. You may need someone to face away frontal boss effects.
    Options
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the dungeon and each player's skill.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people can solo vet dungeons. Other 4 man groups struggle with completion with a tank and healer. And there are players and groups ar every stage in between.

If you can complete dungeons in some other group configuration and are happy with the experience, by all means go for it. But I would say most groups will still have smoother completions with a competent tank. Said tank also should have a DPS suit for WGT, Darkshade and Volenfell, and can pull reasonable if not stellar numbers during some specific fights.

P.S. While Darkshade and Volenfell last bosses can be tanked by specific builds, most players don't - and shouldn't - expect it.
    Options
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends on group skills and certain mechanics. Some dungeons can be done even without healer.
    Options
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks are needed for trials. They are needed for Vet dungeons like ICP and (possibly) WGT as well.

Other Vet dungeons can be completed with 3, 2, or even 1 person, so it depends 100% on the skill and build of the players involved. For most all groups I would say yes a tank is needed but not for many group dungeons if the group is experienced.
    Edited by Vaoh on March 29, 2016 6:54AM
    Options
  • Samphaa
    Samphaa
    ✭✭✭
    I think a healer isn't needed as much as a tank tbh. We 3 manned the wgt gold key the other day with me on magicka nb, a magicka sorc and a templar tank. I only slotted a Resto for inhibitor, rest was pretty easy.

Best set up we found is 2 magicka nightblades, 1 running resto, other full dd. A magicka sorc dd and a DK tank. We cleared prison in 35 mins and tower in 20 mins yesterday.
    Edited by Samphaa on March 29, 2016 8:23AM
    Options
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not for all of them, depending on group and player skill. But some gold key mechanics need a tank I would say. Try avoiding dps on the Daedroths in Banished Cells without a tank pulling them out the line of fire...
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Options
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tankheal with 3 DPS is pretty nice to run with since the tank role is as easy as it is in vet dungeons, and the healer is doing damage most of the time anyways.
    EU PC
    Options
  • Walties99
    Walties99
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but having played every current dungeon from all perspectives I always prefer having a tank. As a dps, it makes it less worrisome when elites are faced away or hitting someone else. As a healer with a good tank, much less damage actually reaches players, and as a tank it's nice to be able to get groups and enjoy content. There are builds and groups that can get around using standard party setups but I'm a big fan of having specified roles.
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most vet dungeons are actually a lot easier with 3 decent dps, the tank mainly slows the process down. This can make resources management an issue which reduces dps and slows you down even more.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • Marktoneth3
    Marktoneth3
    ✭✭✭
    Most vet dungeons are actually a lot easier with 3 decent dps, the tank mainly slows the process down. This can make resources management an issue which reduces dps and slows you down even more.

This guy made my tank look silly
    Options
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy made my tank look silly

@Septimus_Magna is describing reality as it is.
    3 decent DPS, that know the dungeon through and through, of Vet 16 with lots of CP are so OP that a "normal" trinity set up of a group is not needed.

For normal mortals tanks are not silly :)

Edited by hrothbern on March 29, 2016 3:35PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    Options
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a healer, I certainly appreciate when a good tank can hold the boss and/or adds long enough for me to rez another player. I am not a squishy healer but it makes life more pleasant when you aren't killed or interrupted while rezzing. I also appreciate when a tank can hold aggro away from me, period. A dead healer is a useless healer, after all.

Generally not needed for normal pledges, but tanks are handy for vet pledges and it helps if they can also throw down some DPS here and there if tanking duty is light or if a boss is "untankable".

The tank really needs to know what they are doing though in a lot of cases. A junky tank is just not gonna cut it.
    NA PS4
    Options
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the dungeon.

On one end of the spectrum, there's vet Darkshade, where tanks are pretty much useless--the main boss doesn't even respond to taunt. The last two times vDC was the pledge, I two-manned it with a friend (two DPS).

On the other end of the spectrum, we have vICP. I wouldn't even consider doing vICP tankless.
    Edited by code65536 on March 29, 2016 8:33PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
    Options
  • Shaloran
    Shaloran
    ✭✭
    Obviously it can and has been done without a tank, but lower skill/level characters still need a tank.

Honestly, I feel that DPS should have to put on SOME survivability anyway, and if trash and bosses get nuked down before they can do serious damage, then there really is no need.
    Options