Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How exactly does mount speed work?

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
So I occasionally see people infront of me going my speed when on a mount. All the sudden it's like they kicked it into another gear and move faster. I'm pretty sure it's not lag-related.
But it makes me wonder if spending the money on mount speed is even worth it anymore. I don't feel any faster than I was before I bought the upgrade. I do realize that it's only a tiny boost compared to before, but I just want to feel I'm getting my virtual money's worth.

Is there some sort of trick to making your mount gallop faster than normal when holding down the Shift key? Like, it has to be 10% or higher to do it? I tried repeatably tapping my Shift key, hoping to trigger this sudden boost in speed. But I can't seem to get it.
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • dantheman
    dantheman
    Sure they arnt using rapid manoeuvre skill? It increases your speed quite considerably.
    Xbox one EU
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not exactly sure. Is that a AoE ability? If so, I would had gotten it too. And I don't remember any of them using it. They just suddenly go faster.

• dantheman
    dantheman
    It can be morphed into an AoE IIRC. I play on xbox an noticed I dont see it animation on players anymore (dunno when it happeded I just recently started playing again)
    Xbox one EU
  • DephlaterMouse
    DephlaterMouse
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure they didn't just use the Sprint button all of a sudden while riding???
    USA to New Zealand transplant.
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    I was holding onto my Sprint button, keeping up with them. Then they just took off. I know what I saw.

• dantheman
    dantheman
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xeUEjnAjRfU youtube clip on rapid maneuver.
    Xbox one EU
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    What's your mount speed? If theirs is 60 and yours is much less than that then you may have been sprinting and going the same speed as them but they weren't originally sprinting
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    mount speed makes a huge difference.

rapid maneuvers makes an even bigger difference.
  • OneWhomWaits
    OneWhomWaits
    ✭✭✭
    Tapping sprint while on rapids with a mount speed of 60 makes an even bigger difference.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount speed at 60 + rapid maneuvre is almost needed in pvp, because spending 10min to ride up to the where your friends battle with the enemy in slowpoke fashion just to get ganked, spawn at shrine and spend 10min riding up to the battlefield again is not fun.

In pve it's really nice to have, but not needed as it is in pvp.