Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player question about race for a sorcerer

maciopa
maciopa
✭✭✭
Hey gals and gays,
I just bought the imperial version of the game with an explorer pack. I would like to play a sorcerer but I cannot decide which race should I pick? I know that there are two on the line - High Elf and Breton, but which one would be better for such a new player like me? As of today I would like to lvl up efficiently via pve/main contest. It seems that Breton has cheaper spells, while High Elf has some mana recovery while in combat, Breton light armor line advances faster while High Elf delivers more dmg...
btw do that class be a healer? or is it reserved for other classes?

I will be grateful for your input.
  • mertusta
    mertusta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer is the best class for dd. And Highelf indeed a masterrace for sorcs. Regardless pve or pvp, highelf is better option over breton. Breton has %3 cost reduction but I do not think that is a big deal. For me recovery > cost reduction.
    You can be a healer aswell but dd is better option for sorcerers.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maciopa wrote: »
    Hey gals and gays,
    I just bought the imperial version of the game with an explorer pack. I would like to play a sorcerer but I cannot decide which race should I pick? I know that there are two on the line - High Elf and Breton, but which one would be better for such a new player like me? As of today I would like to lvl up efficiently via pve/main contest. It seems that Breton has cheaper spells, while High Elf has some mana recovery while in combat, Breton light armor line advances faster while High Elf delivers more dmg...
    btw do that class be a healer? or is it reserved for other classes?

I will be grateful for your input.

People don't think Sorcerer be like a healer, but it do.
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your replies. I went with a High Elf then. Hope she will hold ok for a solo pve :) first char.

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maciopa wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. I went with a High Elf then. Hope she will hold ok for a solo pve :) first char.
    Yup, a high elf sorcerer will do just fine in solo PVE. While you're still low level you're likely to be a bit squishy, but able to do decent single-target damage. I suggest you keep a familiar active at low levels, as this will help keep you alive when facing more than one opponent (the familiar keeps an enemy busy while you focus on killing a different enemy). When you get to higher levels and unlock damage shields (Conjured Ward and its morph Hardened Ward) you'll be able to casually wade into large groups of enemies without any real concerns.

If you are interested in healing, you'll want to use a restoration staff. Until you hit level 15 you'll only be able to use one weapon - it might be easier not to start with a resto staff, but to use a destruction staff instead until you're level 15. At level 15 you can use a destruction staff on one bar and a restoration staff on the other bar, and swap between them during combat as needed.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Great! Thank you! I will follow your pointers!
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure Altmer sorcs are the best damage dealers, but Bretons are good too, spell resist is nice...

With champion points you can easily close the gap on the resource management so in the end between those 2 races it comes down to this:

Do you want spell resistance ( a little tankyness ) or more damage ( the elemental dmg buff ).

If your style is pure dps then Altmer for sure OP...

If not then pick whichever one you enjoy the most I have 3 sorcerers - Atlmer, Breton, Dunmer...

All 3 are good if you know your class well, the altmer does do a little bit more dmg and it pays off @ max lvl but the other 2 are still very good options.

So what I am trying to say is it's not set in stone.

I suggest using full training gear - 7 pieces light armour, training destruction staff ( inferno if possible ).

Practice a thing called weaving ( early on this will help you as this is an advanced tactic used by skilled players and if you practice it at low lvls you will be very good around lvl 40-VR1) also called animation cancelling.

The staff should also be training. Use the restoration staff in your off bar but primarily use the destruction staff for maximum skill leveling.

Also when doing quests make sure your secondary bar has skills that are not maxed before handing in a quest ( preferably skills you level slower and never use ( they do not need to be the same weapon as the one your are equipped with ) as when gaining any exp ( like quests or when finishing a dolmen ) you actually gian skill exp too... so swap weapons before handing in the quest to the 2ndary bar to gain maximum exp profit. Since you will gain skill exp in your attacking / main bar by just killing mobs anyway.

Use your light armour passives, heavy attacks with the staves regenerate magicka.

Also if you get bored with being a magicka sorc, you can always give stamina sorc a try there is a build called Bulldozer by Fengrush which you can give a go ( much later when you know your class and are higher lvl ).
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, and thank you!

A lot of information to digest :) Could you please clarify/elaborate a little bit more about:

a) what is that training equipment/gear you reffer to? where to get it?

b) how do I set up my second bar?

c) weaving - in a few short words, army style - how to do that?

Thank you!
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure thing:

Answers:

a). All skills in this game ( require you to be a certain level in that skill line in order to unlock a corresponding "better" or higher level skill, they also improve your ability in that certain field be it a weapon, armour or class ability). So for example you start at 0 skill points for your light armour, yet there are passive skills that you want that can help you manage Magicka more effectively, yet they are "locked" until you are a certain level in light armour and then you are able to spend a skill point in it to have access to the bonus. Thus your aim should be to maximize your skill progress as quickly as possible, the best way to do this is by using gear with the "training" trait on it.

The only gear you ( a player ) should ever wear, should have traits on it. It can be identified as follows:

pvw1213.jpg

Notice the word Infused and then a little information below it?

Trait-style.jpg

Notice the bonus experience gained when exploring?

That is known as an armour traits, various weapons also have them.

You also get sets, which have other bonuses...

Set-Bonus1.png

Where to get it, well you can buy them for gold from guild vendors, fighters guild vendors OR you can just ask a friendly guild to make you some ( since you are low level they will most likely do it for free and make you a crafted set along with it ).

The set bonuses really add a lot of power to you as a player.

Look at these 3 real quick:

law_of_julianos_set.jpg
    magnus_gift.jpg
    armor_of_the_seducer.jpg

b). Once you reach level 15 you can just add a second weapon to the other available slot in when you press I ( for inventory ), you swap weapons easily with the default ` ( next to one and above the TAB buttons )

c). It's really hard to explain over text, watch a Youtube video about it I suggest using Google and typing in "ESO Sorcerer animation cancelling" and watching that.

You will want as many sky shards as you can to maximize your passives and skill unlocks while leveling

A final tip: there are Star Sign Stones scattered around Tamriel, you want the Mage Mundus stone and don't really change it. The Apprentice might sound more appealing but it's not the Mage is the best one.

For DC : Stormhaven ( second zone )

Map-Stormhaven-The-Mage.png

For AD : Grathwood ( second zone )
    Map-Grahtwood-The-Mage-300x300.png

For EP: Deshaan ( second zone )
    Map-Deshaan-The-Mage.png

For any alliance : Cyrodiil ( you gain access to it @ lvl 10 ) this is the PvP zone
    Cyrodiil-Mundus.jpg
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    @Duiwel oh brother! Thank you for your comprehensive and exhaustive response/explanation.
    I will check Y2Be for that "wavering" thingie :smiley:

edit: do I need vampirism or werewolf-ism, or not - as a help in my solo adventures?

edit2: @Duiwel - I went through 3 different videos regarding that theme, and it seems I do not have enough number of fingers to handle such gameplay...
    Edited by maciopa on March 16, 2016 5:35PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My honest recomendation is to level up Dual Wield by equipping 2 swords, and set that bar active when you finish your quests and recieve your rewards.

Dual Wielding swords have a passive skill, that boosts your spell damage a lot, so a lot of endgame sorcerers use that on their second bar, where they only slot class abilities. The swords are only used to buff the class skills, so they never use the Dual Wield Skills :3

It's not needed, and you can of course level this up later on ....however it's just much easier and less troublesome, if you do this while you advance in the game through questing.

You level up skills and skill lines by equipting a weapon and have it on your active bar while you recieve xp... For actual fights, you can equipt destruction staff on your first bar, and restoration staff on your second bar. When you go to recieve your reward for a quest, change your restoration staff out with Dual Wield swords. This way you can progress in all 3 weapon skill lines.
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    @failkiwib16_ESO woot? I.HAD.NO.IDEA.IT.WORKS.THAT.WAY! Thanks!