The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you make your toons the same gender as yourself?

• SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    The real question, do you play what RACE you actually are (ie: Human). :p

And the other question, what's gaming for if not for playing something you aren't already?
    Edited by SlayerSyrena on March 1, 2016 5:27AM
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I think it's weird for me as a guy to choose a girl. Last thing I want is some guy checking my in game toon body and flirting with me. I'm thinking that really doesn't happen much though and a lot of the girl toons I have seen are actually girls in real life and it's not a big deal that they are playing a video game. My friend chooses to go a girl and gets into role playing a bit much.
  • Melilotta
    Melilotta
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I used to have a male character in another game, he was my main and I loved him dearly, but I didn't like the tension. First, other players always seemed shocked to find out a girl was playing with a male character, and secondly, every time I felt nervous or unsure in the game, it seemed I mustn't show it, because my character won't seem tough enough. ))
    But I don't indentify myself with my characters anyway. Their tempers are all different, and they even make different choices in the game. They decide for themselves, and sometimes they surprise me so much!
  • yake82
    yake82
    ✭✭✭
    I have 4 males and 4 females
  • SlayerTheDragon
    SlayerTheDragon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    As a guy I only roll female characters. My characters are not people I want to be like, they are people I want to meet and have a bond with over their 300+ hour lifespan.

But on a technical level, the female targeting box is smaller so they have a better chance of surviving in pvp.
    Edited by SlayerTheDragon on March 1, 2016 5:48AM
    ¤═══¤ People don't like it when you talk to them with your weapon drawn ¤═══¤
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I don't like games that force me to play as a male either (like Witcher series). I always play as a female (my own gender) given the choice, it just feels natural to me, and I don't see any reason to RP a male or dress as a male (or have hairy male hands and legs and run funny/clumsily like males do).
  • SemiD4rkness
    SemiD4rkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I'm a dude in real life, and I personally can't see myself playing as a girl. To me, I consider my character to be an aspect of me. My main character, which is the nord Templar, was made to look like me IRL. However, I messed up by making him a little too buff and my character only slightly resembles me. Even in other games besides ESO, I've always been a male character; unless of course if gender is not an option like Metroid.

P.S.

What's up with dudes looking at their character's butt?

That's just an absurd excuse :D Who looks at their characters butt male or female? You look at the enviroment not your character at all actually.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I have 24 characters

All male.

I once made a female Imperial (in December ) just to see how hot I could make her. However I deleted her in favour of an Argonian ( to reserver a name I use to have on my account and I deleted my Argonian with 120 mount upgrades in favour of an Altmer) R.I.P.

I always play male in every game.

Oblivion
    Mass Effect
    If there is a character creation screen I will make my char male & either look like myself or I will create a "persona & short backstory" in like 2mins and create him and forget about his story.

@Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Meanma
    Meanma
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    Going to admit that I actually always base my main character off of myself. :neutral:

Pick the race with the personality and philosophy that is the closest to mine then customize the character to be similar to me. Not as in look exactly the same (would be rather hard with something like an Argonian) but have same-ish overall feel to it. Average height and weight, soft and rounded facial features, calm expression, usually smiling, brown fur/horns/fins/whatever to match my hair colour. Then dress them in my favourite colours, green and brown.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I imagine a fat, greasy male behind a lot of these female characters I run into....it's creepy as sh*t
    Edited by DannyLV702 on March 1, 2016 8:18AM
  • Slaytanicslayer45
    Slaytanicslayer45
    Soul Shriven
    I'm male and play both.
    I pick what gender/race I feel is right for the role. Having read a lot of fantasy books in my time I often base my characters on characters from the books, so I make them the same gender too.
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    Nope.
    Both.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    If given the option, I always pick a male or gender-neutral character. Only because I like to "project" myself in that character, so it feels more like it's an extension of me. That's probably the closest I've ever done to RPing in a game.

Regarding ESO and the Elder Scrolls series in general, I've always liked the Orsimer race and all my ES characters have been Orcs.
    Edited by Cadbury on March 1, 2016 9:23AM
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    I imagine a fat, greasy male behind a lot of these female characters I run into....it's creepy as sh*t

Why is this any worse than a fat greasy male playing a buff guy character? Our characters don't have to look like us.
    Edited by adriant1978 on March 1, 2016 9:53AM
  • richardjameshillb16_ESO
    Always pick Female, normally due to the better voice acting (in my opinion of course)

I had a female Shepard, in Mass effect and have continued on from there.

Its an odd question in an elder scrolls game though, as you can be a cat or a lizard or an Orc after all

Each to their own

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    babylon wrote: »
    I don't like games that force me to play as a male either (like Witcher series). I always play as a female (my own gender) given the choice, it just feels natural to me, and I don't see any reason to RP a male or dress as a male (or have hairy male hands and legs and run funny/clumsily like males do).

Oh I made the same experience with voiced characters - like in fallout 4 - I have a hard time to immerse, whenever he is talking and I am reminded of that it is not a female character. I have not much of a problem with it in a game, where my character isn't voiced. It is as well one of the reasons I have still not played the witcher and just one assassin's creed.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    Mostly same gender (female) but I made a male character based off Jareth the Goblin King xD
    PC/EU DC
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    As a teen/twen, all my characters where female. Somehow I kinda outgrew that. Today I can`t play a female anymore in mmorpg`s. It somehow completely ruins my immersion.
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • CallsignReaper
    Nope.
    I play both.

Normally my first couple times through the storyline are male for the immersion, once I'm in it just for the grind, then I mix it up.
    "If you want to lose ten pounds of ugly fat, I'll be happy to chop off your head!"
  • Sa0n
    Sa0n
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    May the Lord have mercy on the wretched souls of sinful males playing a female character in a computer game. 'tis unarguably an act of sinful queerism, a play in the hay with the devil. Lordy oh lordy, the God has spoken. God hates you and *** equally, such is the word. Amen.

Literally eat my assflaps.

Uninstalled.
    Time wasted: 6 years.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    No, because I couldn't seem to get the characters to be customizable enough to have both manly bits and lady bits like I do.
  • ShirleyShine
    ShirleyShine
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    No. Although my main is female. I don't see them as representing myself, and the gender goes with the name I choose. Although I don't plan it they do tend to look like me. Probably because one is most familiar with they way we look ourselves.
    Some classes I feel are better suited to male characters, only personal of course.
    Five Bretons, I Dunmer, 1 Altmer, and 1 Khajiit.
    Pretty much because I am accustomed to the Scroll games. No under water swimming, so Argonian pointless to me :) and I never have played an Orc so had no idea what they are like.

What is interesting is that when I am on my male sorc {VR16} people tend to ask me in chat about combat skills, and when on my female NB {VR16} they ask me questions about crafting.
    Go figure.
    War....war never changes
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I play all girl toons. I tried having male toons, but it just didn't feel right D:
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    And my Khajiit looks exactly like me too.

Edited to add a little story.

The one time I did try to play a male character (in a different MMO), I created him to look like what I thought was a very attractive male character (why not?) and, I kid you not, within 5 seconds of his creation, he was being hit on almost constantly by female characters (not NPCs). It was, quite possibly, the most annoying thing ever. so I deleted that character and continued to make exclusively female characters, which, by the way, are rarely ever hit on even though I think some of them are very pretty. What can I say? I like Barbies.
    Edited by Tabbycat on March 1, 2016 1:21PM
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • elantaura
    elantaura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    Yes I did have a male sorc for about 10 mins maybe less before I deleted him, as it just didn't feel right. I play with a guy who plays both genders, a guy who plays girls, and a guy who plays males only - very mixed. I feel all my girls have different looks and personalitys.

I did come close to making one I would have liked as I wanted to want make a male kahjit that looks like my cat but they don't have the right colouring so I scraped that.
    PS4 EU 1200+ cp - I enjoy RP, Housing, PVE and PVP

• theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope.
    I main a female khajiit here. In wow I mained a female panda, male panda and male goblin and undead over the time I playef it. So sometimes I play one with my gender and sometimes not, it depends on the race.
  • Triumviri
    Triumviri
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    no, i made all female toons. Why? cause i did not want to stare at a dudes butt all day.
  • Ishamaeli
    Ishamaeli
    ✭✭
    Nope.
    I play both genders pretty equally; even though I don't really RP, I've usually got some kind of idea about my toon's background and "who they are", sort of. Since this isn't Morrowind, gender's mostly about aesthetics and I don't have a preference.

Now, if we're talking about hair colour, I rarely play blondes for some reason.
  • Hand_Bacon
    Hand_Bacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I play my gender.
    I don't know why, but I haven't made any female characters.

Having said that, and despite buying the early release imperial ownage edition, I've not yet made an Imperial.

If we ever get more character slots the first thing I will make will be an Imperial Female...something.

I've been thinking about deleting my VR16 stamplar...but I don't know.
    #AlmostGood@ESO